2017-2018 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, call them or email them. They are all really friendly and should be able help you out. Mention you have an interest in mission work.
Thank you, NickMT-RN and studdoc1! Ok I'll go ahead and call them.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I may have a dumb question here, but I noticed some of you referencing a portal you guys are checking. When I first applied I assumed there wasn't a portal unlike all the other schools I have applied to where you can check updates to your application because when I click back on the secondary link, it takes me to a page that just says thank you, we have received your secondary application and no other information. I tried to go through the emails they have sent me and clicked through all the links. I also found the myLU login but could not find anything on there. Can anyone help me out?

Hello, I may have a dumb question here, but I noticed some of you referencing a portal you guys are checking. When I first applied I assumed there wasn't a portal unlike all the other schools I have applied to where you can check updates to your application because when I click back on the secondary link, it takes me to a page that just says thank you, we have received your secondary application and no other information. I tried to go through the emails they have sent me and clicked through all the links. I also found the myLU login but could not find anything on there. Can anyone help me out?
When you receive your secondary, you are given a Liberty ID which can be used to set up a student login account. Once set up, you will enter the student portal which contains many different links. You want to click on Asist under the login shortcuts tab. It will open a new window where you will next click on general information. Then click on applicant status and that next page will have you status at the top. Being Pre-interview would show "Provisional Status" while "PV Pending Interview" means they will invite you to interview soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When you receive your secondary, you are given a Liberty ID which can be used to set up a student login account. Once set up, you will enter the student portal which contains many different links. You want to click on Asist under the login shortcuts tab. It will open a new window where you will next click on general information. Then click on applicant status and that next page will have you status at the top. Being Pre-interview would show "Provisional Status" while "PV Pending Interview" means they will invite you to interview soon.

Awesome! Thank you. I found it!

Have a question if someone could help me out: I submitted early August and haven't heard back. My stats are above average, and I've gotten interview invitations at several MD and DOs but I wonder about LUCOM because I am down with its whole package and I do one day want to lead Christian medical mission work. You know, if it's the right thing for me.

Would it be okay if I bug the admissions office about my application? Has anyone else experienced maybe an office/technical mistake and their application was never reviewed?

I applied around that time and havent heard much after 2 weeks and i called them. I asked for my status and they told me that i was recommended for II but there were a lot of people before me. So I waited 1 month and nothing. Called again, told me the same thing. Waited another month and still nothing, called them again and this is when Mr. Smith started to dig into the issue and told me that i was invited for an interview in Sept 10th and i should have gotten an email (i use gmail), which i never got one (checked spam, and nothing), so after 24hrs they resent an II email. Now i am scheduled for Nov 13th! Yay!
So there has been some technical issues with sending emails to gmail accounts, but that's all i know.
Keep trying, or try to get in touch with Mr. Benjamin Smith, He's great and very helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED!! got the call just two minutes ago!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! Just got the call! Interviewed on 10/13.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!! Interviewed 10/5 and straight in. Praise God :)

Reactions: 6 users
With LUCOM acceptance, do you guys think it is neccessary to go to interview and check out WCUCOM? I really like the atmosphere of LUCOM when I had my interview, so I will be just happy for going to LUCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
With LUCOM acceptance, do you guys think it is neccessary to go to interview and check out WCUCOM? I really like the atmosphere of LUCOM when I had my interview, so I will be just happy for going to LUCOM.
I interviewed at both. Lucom looks way better technology wise and just over look.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

If you have acceptance from both schools, would you choose lucom?
If I did yes. The area around lucom in my opinion is much nicer too and has a lot of extra amenities. Also, with all the posts on wcucom from students on here I'm not sure I would be comfortable going to that school.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Thanks for answering questions! How's the student body so far? Is it competitive or cliquey amongst students? Are people open minded to certain things? Also how's the fitness center?
The student body is pretty diverse, we have people from all backgrounds all across the country. I also think we have 8 other countries represented. The class is not competitive (I'm sure there's a few that are), but mostly everyone helps each other. It is cliquey, there are popularity contests for elections and they really don't represent the majority's interests. So that's disappointing. They are open minded, and to dispel the rumors, there has yet to be any classes that go into anything with evolution or creation, it's basically pure science other than ethics. The fitness center is from the main campus and it's SUPER nice, you can google it. Downside is you can only park there before 9am and after 4pm for a workout, because of parking restrictions.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I have recently been accepted and I am really excited. Can you share what made you pick LUCOM over other schools? Also how is the town? Are there things you don't like about the school?

Congrats on the acceptance! So sorry for the late reply, I was essentially dead after the exam so it took me a bit to recover.
So what got me to pick LUCOM essentially for me was because it was my only acceptance, lol. I'm not one of the lucky ones that got to pick between schools and I also got accepted off waitlist pretty late in the game so I was scrambling. What I like is that everyone was still so welcoming and I managed to grab housing pretty fast.

The town is nice in my opinion. I come from the suburbs and I also used to live in the city so it takes some adjusting since it's not as big as I'm used to, but everyone has been nice (or if they're not, they know better than to say anything really stupid). There are some food places that I love going to, and downtown for me is okay (food and hiking, can you spot the pattern here? :p)

As for what I don't like, it's a bit tricky. I don't particularly see cons myself? I'm not going to claim LUCOM is perfect because obviously there are flaws to every school, but I'm not particularly noticing anything myself. For anyone wondering, I'm a non-religious (spiritual yes, religious no) person in a christian medical school and I have had no problems. While I keep the religous aspect to myself (the unspoken rule of conversation, don't talk about politics and religion am I right?) I love a lot of my classmates and the professors. Some people are iffy on the prayer before lectures (how often depends on the teacher) but I don't really mind it, it's nice hearing the teachers saying that they believe in us and the work we put into everything.

Hope this helps!

Received an email that my application had been received, but my MCAT was a little low and asked if I were retaking (am in January). Also said that they really liked my application and the Christian service that I was involved in, and that was the kind of people they were trying to attract to Liberty. I responded that I was retaking in January. All I got back was a thanks for the quick response.... Should I expect a secondary? Thought I might get a secondary and then them hold off on the interview invite pending the outcome of my MCAT. I think February would be too late to just be getting a secondary. Thoughts?
I didn't apply until February and I got accepted, so it's possible. I would contact admissions and see if they want your January scores before moving forward on your application.

Thanks for answering questions! How's the student body so far? Is it competitive or cliquey amongst students? Are people open minded to certain things? Also how's the fitness center?

So student body is obviously going to depend on the class. One thing I've noticed is that a running pattern is that no one is competitive or trying to outdo each other which is really nice. There doesn't seem to be any cliques persay but obviously people are going to find their friend groups and stick with them, it happens. I tend to like talking to everyone and saying hi to people I know, but I also have my general group of people that I stick with, and no one really bossy or demanding over other people. This is obviously not the kind of people that med schools look for, and unless cliques are still a thing in med school (idk if anyone can tell me this, I'm only an n=1 sample and a little bit oblivious to things like this), I don't really think you'll find them here.

Open-minded I think is the running thing that LUCOM looks like they're getting right. Everyone here is pretty diverse and comes from all over. While I'm not sure if we're a minority, there are some non-religious people along with people of different religions, though like in my previous post, none of us really talk about it, we have more pressing things to clamor about (like the upper limbs that we just finished up).

LUCOM itself doesn't have a fitness center, but recently we've been starting having exercise things every wednesday run by students, like yoga and barre. You're also allowed to use the undergrad gym as well as the group exercise classes there. I've been to a couple there and they're pretty good. People I've heard have also been taking kickboxing in the area, other gyms (I know planet fitness is somewhere), and gyms in their apartment complexes. I'm fortunate to have a gym in my living area and have a previous online exercise program where I can exercise at home. My opinion on exercising here is get creative and flexible. See if you have stuff you can do at home or online, go up and down the stairs more than the elevator (our elevator is slow so it's more of a reason to not use it at school), take breaks and keep a water bottle on you so you can both hydrate and move to refill it between classes.

Edit: Krissysmiles has a pretty decent idea of both the cliqueyness of some parts of the school and the gym portion. She had some details that I had forgotten about or were in the back of my head.

Last edited:
Are people getting accepted off the WL already? I have been on the WL after interviewing Sept 28th. Will WL candidates not hear back until the end of the cycle? or people get moved up frequently?

This is coming from someone who was waitlisted since a Nov. 2016 and accepted LATE (I think if you find last years thread you can see how late it was). Essentially once they're done with applications for the year and they have spaces left, how it worked is they first got the priority waitlist people off, and then moved onto general waitlist. I'm not quite sure how it's working this year? Sounds like people are getting pulled off waitlist earlier. The rule of thumb should stay the same though. Keep up with the school and ask questions and how the cycle is going, that will essentially move you up because it shows you're interested.

Hi, I am somewhat in a similar situation. The day I arrived at lynchburg for my interview I received an ii from LECOM. My interview here is next week and I also considered not going since I was accepted at LUCOM and honestly loved the school. However I will be flying out to PA next week, i figured I may regret not going more than I'll regret going and if I'm going to be committing to a new place for the next four years it is then worth exploring all options. That being said my advice would be to go if you can afford it. Ultimately going does not take from you your LUCOM acceptance and it may give you more confidence in your choice in the end.

Reactions: 3 users
I heard that you get the name and info of your interviewer at least 1-2 weeks before the interview. Anyone got that info? Anyone interviewing on 11/13? Thanks!

I heard that you get the name and info of your interviewer at least 1-2 weeks before the interview. Anyone got that info? Anyone interviewing on 11/13? Thanks!

You do, but it can change. In retrospect I'm glad mine changed. I had great interviewers.

Hi, I have recently been accepted and I am really excited. Can you share what made you pick LUCOM over other schools? Also how is the town? Are there things you don't like about the school?

I’ll chime in too!

So I picked LUCOM over 2 other acceptances. I’m from the opposite side of the country and had never been out this way until I interviewed. I wasn’t going into my interview expecting to choose LUCOM over the other schools I was accepted at (one was the closest DO school to my hometown and where I was living at the time) and had actually mostly only applied because I knew someone who was a student here.

The reason I ended up choosing LUCOM is because it just felt right. Despite the logistics of it all, when I interviewed at LUCOM I felt at home and honestly enjoyed being there. I’m not what many at the school would consider to be from a “Christian” religion (although I definitely would say so) and so that was something I was worried about coming in but the religion aspect of LUCOM has definitely not been something forced or fabricated. I’ve had a couple of my close friends here ask me a couple of questions about my religion and beliefs but that has been it.

The notion that LUCOM teaches about religion or uses Christianity as an excuse to not teach certain concepts is a complete misconception. Some professors begin class by offering a prayer and then jump right into the material and that’s pretty much the extent of it.

Lynchburg is awesome. It was an adjustment for my family and I at first but we love it here. There’s a lot to do and always things going on in the community. Also, the southern hospitality is very welcoming.

All in all I have loved LUCOM and have never thought twice about choosing to come here instead of somewhere else. If I were to go back I’d choose LUCOM every single time.

Last edited:
I’ll chime in too!

So I picked LUCOM over 2 other acceptances. I’m from the opposite side of the country and had never been out this way until I interviewed. I wasn’t going into my interview expecting to choose LUCOM over the other schools I was accepted at (one was the closest DO school to my hometown and where I was living at the time) and had actually mostly only applied because I knew someone who was a student here.

The reason I ended up choosing LUCOM is because it just felt right. Despite the logistics of it all, when I interviewed at LUCOM I felt at home and honestly enjoyed being there. I’m not what many at the school would consider to be from a “Christian” religion (although I definitely would say so) and so that was something I was worried about coming in but the religion aspect of LUCOM has definitely not been something forced or fabricated. I’ve had a couple of my close friends here ask me a couple of questions about my religion and beliefs but that has been it.

The notion that LUCOM teaches about religion or uses Christianity as an excuse to not teach certain concepts is a complete misconception. Some professors begin class by offering a prayer and then jump right into the material and that’s pretty much the extent of it.

Lynchburg is awesome. It was an adjustment for my family and I at first but we love it here. There’s a lot to do and always things going on in the community. Also, the southern hospitality is very welcoming.

All in all I have loved LUCOM and have never thought twice about choosing to come here instead of somewhere else. If I were to go back I’d choose LUCOM every single time.
Would you feel comfortable speaking a little about what your family looks like and how the transition was? I am asking because I personally have 3 kids and a husband and obviously moving anywhere is a bit terrifying but very possibly happening. Hearing you speak this way about the school confirms my perception of the school during interview.

Would you feel comfortable speaking a little about what your family looks like and how the transition was? I am asking because I personally have 3 kids and a husband and obviously moving anywhere is a bit terrifying but very possibly happening. Hearing you speak this way about the school confirms my perception of the school during interview.

Absolutely! I actually have three children myself. There are a handful of students that have families (like you and me) and it's been great because LUCOM has a lot of activities geared towards involving the families of the students. There is a club that is for the spouses/significant others of students and is actually run purely by them as well. They do a lot of activities and things to serve as a support system and its been great for my wife and others to be involved in what is happening at school. In fact, this Friday the club is hosting a make-shift daycare where you can drop you kids off to be watched by a few of the members anytime from 5 pm - 9 pm so that you can have a date night with free child care.

Also, just an FYI, I am a male but there are a few females that are in similar situations as you (i.e., married, kids, moving from far away, etc.)

LUCOM has been very family focused and they love seeing family on campus and at school-sponsored events. Every activity LUCOM has had has encouraged students to bring their significant others and kids to. In fact, I had a staff member give me a hard time yesterday because he said it had been too long since my wife and kids had come to campus to say hi.

One thing that I was really interested in after interviewing here was whether or not the atmosphere I saw on interview day was actually what the day-to-day looked like here and it absolutely is. I felt a warm, family-focused vibe on interview day and it has been that way since day one of orientation.

I'll also attest to LUCOM's friendliness to families. My wife had a baby boy 1 week into this year. I missed several days and a quiz. They excused me my missed days and let me make up everything.

I am really happy to hear that thanks so much for sharing so much info. Can you provide some input as far as how students manage to support a family while in med school. I'm thinking with one of my kids not being school aged my husband will have to care for them and therefore most than likely become a stay at home dad. I'm very concerned about how we will handle finances if we make these lifestyle changes.
Absolutely! I actually have three children myself. There are a handful of students that have families (like you and me) and it's been great because LUCOM has a lot of activities geared towards involving the families of the students. There is a club that is for the spouses/significant others of students and is actually run purely by them as well. They do a lot of activities and things to serve as a support system and its been great for my wife and others to be involved in what is happening at school. In fact, this Friday the club is hosting a make-shift daycare where you can drop you kids off to be watched by a few of the members anytime from 5 pm - 9 pm so that you can have a date night with free child care.

Also, just an FYI, I am a male but there are a few females that are in similar situations as you (i.e., married, kids, moving from far away, etc.)

LUCOM has been very family focused and they love seeing family on campus and at school-sponsored events. Every activity LUCOM has had has encouraged students to bring their significant others and kids to. In fact, I had a staff member give me a hard time yesterday because he said it had been too long since my wife and kids had come to campus to say hi.

One thing that I was really interested in after interviewing here was whether or not the atmosphere I saw on interview day was actually what the day-to-day looked like here and it absolutely is. I felt a warm, family-focused vibe on interview day and it has been that way since day one of orientation.

I'll also attest to LUCOM's friendliness to families. My wife had a baby boy 1 week into this year. I missed several days and a quiz. They excused me my missed days and let me make up everything.
Definitely reinforces my feelings about LUCOM. thanks for sharing.

I am really happy to hear that thanks so much for sharing so much info. Can you provide some input as far as how students manage to support a family while in med school. I'm thinking with one of my kids not being school aged my husband will have to care for them and therefore most than likely become a stay at home dad. I'm very concerned about how we will handle finances if we make these lifestyle changes.
Most of the lectures aren't mandatory and they are video captured so you can view them at home. There are also privacy rooms in the back of the auditorium you can use for infants/breastfeeding, or if you're sick or something. Labs are mandatory though, they are usually in the afternoons on Wednesday and Thursday.

Hey everyone, I got the email saying you would hear back of your secondary in 21 days, is this different from the complete email?

As a mid-30s, non-trad, career changer...I hope some of you find this encouraging. Keep looking up and keep trusting the process. Been waiting years to say this. ACCEPTED!!!! :soexcited:
How long did it take you to get off the waitlist? I received my waitlist email today and feel a bit discouraged. Any tips?

How long did it take you to get off the waitlist? I received my waitlist email today and feel a bit discouraged. Any tips?
Hey! I got in on the 4th week. It helps to stay in contact with the school, Dr. Patton is your friend ;)

I was waitlisted yesterday too. At least we are still in the running!

II today! Earliest interview date is 11/30.

Last edited:
Hey all. I interviewed here on 11/02 and Mr. Smith said they had to postpone their committee meeting because one member would be absent. Does anyone know the exact date they will meet next? Smith failed to provide us with one. Thanks!

Hey all. I interviewed here on 11/02 and Mr. Smith said they had to postpone their committee meeting because one member would be absent. Does anyone know the exact date they will meet next? Smith failed to provide us with one. Thanks!

We have a deans hour this week. If they tell us, i'll pass it along. I think i know who is out of town and i think he gets back this weekend...

We have a deans hour this week. If they tell us, i'll pass it along. I think i know who is out of town and i think he gets back this weekend...
Thanks so much, would really appreciate it!

Does anybody know if LUCOM gives grades or is it pass/fail system?

Does anybody know if LUCOM gives grades or is it pass/fail system?

They give grades. Not A-F, your actual final % score shows up on your transcript. There are a few assessments that are pass/fail. But all classes are scored on a % basis.

They give grades. Not A-F, your actual final % score shows up on your transcript. There are a few assessments that are pass/fail. But all classes are scored on a % basis.

Thank you. How many dummies are in the Sim Lab and how often do you have classes there?

Thank you. How many dummies are in the Sim Lab and how often do you have classes there?

As of right now I have no clue on the Sim lab. I know there are 15-16 patient rooms where we do our patient encounters. To my understanding there is an area with a mock ICU and OR with advanced dummies. But I have not seen it.

We have BLS training in a few weeks. That may be our first encounter with that area but I'm not sure.

It's more of a 2nd year thing I believe.

As of right now I have no clue on the Sim lab. I know there are 15-16 patient rooms where we do our patient encounters. To my understanding there is an area with a mock ICU and OR with advanced dummies. But I have not seen it.

We have BLS training in a few weeks. That may be our first encounter with that area but I'm not sure.

It's more of a 2nd year thing I believe.

I see. When did you start looking for housing? If I plan to have a roommate, is the Facebook page the best way to find someone to live with?

Is there any chance of getting in if you sent in a secondary over a month ago? I thought they had to tell you something within 20 days?

I see. When did you start looking for housing? If I plan to have a roommate, is the Facebook page the best way to find someone to live with?
I got in around thanksgiving and started looking then. The 2022 facebook page is your best bet for roommate stuff, i'm married with a kid, so i have plenty of roommates. :wideyed:

I don't know if the student services has made the 2022 page yet.

Is there any chance of getting in if you sent in a secondary over a month ago? I thought they had to tell you something within 20 days?

I would call admissions tomorrow and ask.

.1mo is a little too long, give them a call or email Benjamin Smith to check status if you havent checked yet. He is super helpful and will get back to you quickly!

To those accepted, how long til your letter/packet came in the mail?