2017-2018 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I heard from previous interviewees, Mr. Smith told everyone the exact date of when the committee would meet to discuss their interview day. But I think November was an abnormal interview month because their committee was delayed over 3 weeks of when they were supposed to originally meet (for our day at least on 11/02). However I did hear they will be meeting on 11/29, only a few days away! Hopefully we all hear back soon after. Been praying so hard for acceptance!

I think Nov was wierd last year too for committee meetings. Hang in there guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted today .. interviewed 11/20.

Nice to see my 5 words become a reality "I will be a doctor"

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted! interviewed 11/16. Word of advice: trust God in everything, He knows your future and knows what’s best for you.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed and thought it went extremely well. No word back... should I be concerned? I interviewed early-ish November

I interviewed and thought it went extremely well. No word back... should I be concerned? I interviewed early-ish November
They’ve been pretty good about the 4 week response time. When was your interview?

Don't worry, I interviewed 11/02 and I haven't heard anything back either. We just have to stay positive and hope our call comes soon! :)

I've told a few people this. Call.

Call and talk to them. If you are truly interested in LU voice that to admissions and you could get a quicker answer.

Best of luck. *Back to cramming for finals* :bang:

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when the second $1,500 deposit is due for those of us who have been accepted. I know the first one is due by Dec 14 but I can't find the date for the second one anywhere.

Does anyone know when the second $1,500 deposit is due for those of us who have been accepted. I know the first one is due by Dec 14 but I can't find the date for the second one anywhere.
I think it’s one month after the first deposit is due, I could be wrong though. It’s on the interview packet we all received.

Reactions: 1 users
The checklist says deadline is 1/14/18!

I've told a few people this. Call.

Call and talk to them. If you are truly interested in LU voice that to admissions and you could get a quicker answer.

Best of luck. *Back to cramming for finals* :bang:
I called on Thursday. No word back. Good luck on finals :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When will I get the acceptance package via mail?

Interviewed on 12/1 and had a friend interview today. Someone in his group said they would be meeting to make decisions tomorrow, Tuesday? Could he have heard it wrong? The timing of offers is all over the place. Some people who interviewed in early November just heard, as did the group prior to Thanksgiving break. This adds to the madness! Maybe they are trying to make up for lost time in November? Any thoughts or idea as to when the current interviewees will know?

Interviewed on 12/1 and had a friend interview today. Someone in his group said they would be meeting to make decisions tomorrow, Tuesday? Could he have heard it wrong? The timing of offers is all over the place. Some people who interviewed in early November just heard, as did the group prior to Thanksgiving break. This adds to the madness! Maybe they are trying to make up for lost time in November? Any thoughts or idea as to when the current interviewees will know?

Med school admissions is a bit of a mess in general. I know Dr.Patton and the rest of the adcom team are working their butts off this time of year. I don't know how the committee meetings are scheduled, so i can't comment there. But people are constantly being accepted, pulled off the waitlist, put on the waitlist, ect ect.

Just hang in there. I was in your spot last year. It sucks. For further clarification please call the admissions office!! They are generally very forthcoming about information.

When will I get the acceptance package via mail?

I don't remember getting a package. But my memory is a bit shot now days on things outside of med school.

I do remember having to complete a checklist on ASIST which was similar to an admissions "packet."

Interviewed today and Dr. Patton said the committee is meeting tomorrow

Reactions: 2 users
Hey sdn lurking fam! Any one w updates if admissions have been/will be sending out calls in the near future? I'm slowly becoming baseline tachy waiting lololololol.

Hey sdn lurking fam! Any one w updates if admissions have been/will be sending out calls in the near future? I'm slowly becoming baseline tachy waiting lololololol.
Was hoping to hear tonight as the committee met on 12/5. Too quiet for comfort.

Was hoping to hear tonight as the committee met on 12/5. Too quiet for comfort.
I'm sure there will be something sent out soon. We've had a rough week with finals, and it's been a lot of stress for everyone. The faculty and staff are really trying to keep us encouraged, so give them some time.

I feel like they're gonna start calling people tomorrow or next week

I do hope so! Been anxiously waiting for that call. Dr. Patton did say he would try to get calls in before the 14th! Good luck to you and others who have applied!

Hey everyone, OMS-I here as well as Kristi and the others that have been helping you out.
I know that it has been noted to call about your overwhelming love and dedication for LUCOM to try and sway your acceptance, so I just have a few things to say about it:
1. Please only do this if you mean it
2. You can also send a letter of intent (through email, if you'd like), saying that you will go to LUCOM above all other schools.
3. Be professional about it. There's a difference between begging and showing devotion.

I know that this time in your life is nerve-racking, wondering if you'll ever be able to fulfill your dreams and become a physician. It sucks to think that your opportunity to become a doctor rests on the decisions of others, but don't worry. Even if it takes you another year or two to get in, you WILL get in if you show true dedication and love for the practice.
I really hope the best for you, and can't wait to meet those that are yet to interview. If you want any sort of tips and tricks, don't hesitate to contact me personally. I wan't the very best class to be that of 2022, and I know that you can be those student doctors, you've already made it this far!
I will be performing tours and eating lunch with those that are going to be here on the 15th, so please message me if you're in that group! I'd love to talk to you beforehand.
Breathe, you're almost there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Whats the average MCAT score for this school? I have a 498 MCAT, 3.9 gpa, black urm female. I want to apply to this school but think it might be too late..
I remember seeing a spreadsheet of avg stats for the various schools last year and it was 500. One of the current students could confirm. You’re above the 497 for consideration mentioned on the website so that’s good, and your gpa is stellar. If your ECs and history of service is strong you have a solid chance.

Whats the average MCAT score for this school? I have a 498 MCAT, 3.9 gpa, black urm female. I want to apply to this school but think it might be too late..
Apply. I applied in Feb, and got in with similar stats.

And I hate to play this card, but diversity is always looked at in a positive light. Your MCAT isn't the best, but it's still in the race. Your GPA boosts your application as well, so I would say to go for it. You have more positives than negatives so far, and by applying now will show that you're confident, and want to be considered.

I've sent an email already updating them with what I've been doing the past few months, but no response. Do you think it would be worth it to call either today or tomorrow to express my interest? I know that today is the deadline for deposits so hopefully that frees up more interview spots. This is my number one choice and I'm still awaiting for that coveted interview *fingers crossed*

I've sent an email already updating them with what I've been doing the past few months, but no response. Do you think it would be worth it to call either today or tomorrow to express my interest? I know that today is the deadline for deposits so hopefully that frees up more interview spots. This is my number one choice and I'm still awaiting for that coveted interview *fingers crossed*

It don't think it would hurt to call. Give it a try!

I don't think it would be bad to call. Maybe even add a tidbit about being excited to meet them in person. If you want to go that route, realize that our winter break starts tomorrow afternoon!

so it's past the 21 days after my interview date. I was wondering if I should call or wait it out till tomorrow if I should hear something then?

so it's past the 21 days after my interview date. I was wondering if I should call or wait it out till tomorrow if I should hear something then?

At this rate they're gonna contact us after the holidays

At this rate they're gonna contact us after the holidays

Students are on Winter Break next week. I was told that the admissions staff will be working during that time.

Staff will be around, the school officially closes on 12/22 and reopens around....1/2 I believe?

On that note, we're officially on break, message us if you need anything, I'll be enjoying my bed and a fridge that I do not have to stock up myself for a couple weeks.

Staff will be around, the school officially closes on 12/22 and reopens around....1/2 I believe?

On that note, we're officially on break, message us if you need anything, I'll be enjoying my bed and a fridge that I do not have to stock up myself for a couple weeks.

I think i've gained 5 pounds over the weekend...

Does this school require a d.o. Letter? Im working on it but already applied.

You can get an interview offer without a DO letter but in order to complete the entire application that is required for matriculation, you must have a DO letter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does this school do silent rejections? I was complete in the beginning of Nov... well past the 21 day mark, but not sure if I should call? TIA

Would anyone happen to know the textbooks for each class of the first semester?

This changed from 2020 class to 2021 class and could change again. Don't buy any books until after school begins, most info can be extrapolated from the lectures and power points and most of these books are provided online by the school. The only books i have in paper copy are first aid 2017, Savarese, our OMM manual. and BRS Physiology.

Integrative Medical Biochemistry: Examination and Board Review
Emery’s Elements of Medical Genetics
Basic Immunology – Functions and Disorders of the Immune System
Mims’ Medical Microbiology
Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
Basic and Clinical Pharmacology
Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology, 13th Edition
The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology
Clinically Oriented Anatomy
Histology: A Text and Atlas
Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine

I called admissions and they said there has been an update. You need a physician letter but it doesnt have to be a D.O. I have one from an M.D. so I guess I am OK.

sweet! this wasn't heavily addressed during my interview so I figured it was acceptable to have an M.D. letter. however, one of my interviewers did ask why, so be sure to have a reasonable answer if you are offered an II. best of luck!

Can any MS3 or 4 address the following? What has been your experience rotating at your sites? How many pt are the site allowing you to see per day, etc,,

MS-III here and I find that it's pretty evident most DO rotations aren't so great. On average it seems sites have 1-2 good rotations in terms of education with everything else being luck of the draw. Now the people at these sites are pretty nice and friendly. Attendings do put in a fair amount of effort. The core issues seem to stem from the school itself.

There's no clinical structure and curriculum that actually makes sense. Going through a surgery rotation without suturing once? Very common. Shadowing for most of the rotation? Very common. Rounds maybe once a week or less often? Again, common. Doing literally nothing on some (or many) days? Common.

The whole "step up and get aggressive" thing only works in some settings. I've seen plenty of students get a flat "no" when they decided to be more assertive to do certain procedures (which was within their scope of education). Many staff and other people working at the hospital don't even know who the students are or why they're there. This includes attendings.

This whole concept of being thrown into a hospital at a strict 630am start and being told to be assertive and make the most of it doesn't really work. It's telling someone on the bottom of the hierarchy to walk around asking random people to teach you things. That's fine in a supplementary role but there has to be core requirements.

Schools need to set quotas for each rotation (ex. suture X times). Pay the preceptor a much bigger stipend via spending less on nonsense within the school. Have the dean visit the sites and help implement some level of structure within the facility. Often times it's random attendings who enjoy teaching that end up doing most of it during the rotation. There's no structure, or framework or anything organized at all.

I actually attend a pretty good DO school and have had mixed experiences. The positives have come because I've gone digging and tried to get the most out of it. But spending half the time shadowing, only being allowed to suture with 1 surgeon (not the other 15+), going a week without seeing any deliveries and spending some days doing literally nothing... It gets ridiculous at times. What's more irritating is seeing SGU with better sites.

sweet! this wasn't heavily addressed during my interview so I figured it was acceptable to have an M.D. letter. however, one of my interviewers did ask why, so be sure to have a reasonable answer if you are offered an II. best of luck!
I have a MD rec letter and when I was recently accepted to the school not once did they ask me for a DO letter or why I did not have one. :)

I have a MD rec letter and when I was recently accepted to the school not once did they ask me for a DO letter or why I did not have one. :)

The question may or may not come up. LUCOM is a DO school so some faculty may just be curious. However, a DO letter is not a requirement. Congrats on your acceptance! :D

Do any of the current students of LUCOM have a copy of their first semester's class schedule? If so, can you please post it or PM me?