2017-2018 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know how often the admissions committee meets or when the most recent/ next meeting will be?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on their schedule for the day. But I believe they do sometimes call after the meetings.
I interviewed a little over 3 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. When would it be okay to call for an update? Should I give it another week? I'm starting to get nervous!

I interviewed a little over 3 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. When would it be okay to call for an update? Should I give it another week? I'm starting to get nervous!

You should call the admissions committee and check. Don’t call Dr. Patton till you hit 30 days.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know how often the admissions committee meets or when the most recent/ next meeting will be?
The next meeting is this following wednesday

And Dr. Patton said 70-80 people got off the waitlist
Wait until this wednesday because they are meeting this wednesday. As a matter of fact, Dr. Patton said that they do meet every 2 weeks. But you should def call after hitting the 30 d mark

Last edited:
Withdrew my II today, hopefully someone here gets it!

Reactions: 1 users
Do they go over the WL too at the meetings?
Probably, and also if you are waitlisted, you have to show them that you really want to go there by constantly sending updates.

Did anyone get an interview invite after more than 20 days since you received the secondary confirmation?

Do they go over the WL too at the meetings?
After the Adcom makes their decisions the waitlist is given to Dr. Patton to select from as he sees fit. So no, I don’t think they revisit it in the meetings.

Submitted my secondary here today, hoping for the best! I've read through every page in this thread and it has definitely spiked my interest.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I submitted my secondary a few days ago, and I was researching all about the school. This might be a silly question, but what is the Evangelical Christian stance on Catholics? I'm Catholic, but I consider myself a Christian as well, but after doing some searching, I've found that many Christians believe that Catholics are not Christian. If I potentially get an interview here I don't want to flub my words by saying I'm a Christian or offend anyone.

There are similarities and differences I've researched between Evangelicals and Catholics. I've been fairly active in my church, but I've also been exposed to other Christian churches including Baptist/Non-denominational through their bible readings/summer athletic league. Any students or Evangelicals/Christians want to clarify my thought process?

Hey everyone! I submitted my secondary a few days ago, and I was researching all about the school. This might be a silly question, but what is the Evangelical Christian stance on Catholics? I'm Catholic, but I consider myself a Christian as well, but after doing some searching, I've found that many Christians believe that Catholics are not Christian. If I potentially get an interview here I don't want to flub my words by saying I'm a Christian or offend anyone.

There are similarities and differences I've researched between Evangelicals and Catholics. I've been fairly active in my church, but I've also been exposed to other Christian churches including Baptist/Non-denominational through their bible readings/summer athletic league. Any students or Evangelicals/Christians want to clarify my thought process?
I believe Catholics are Christians, I've never understood why people place them in two different categories. Christians are Christ followers. We all use the same manual; the Bible.

Sent from my Z981 using SDN mobile

Hey, does Liberty send out complete emails? I just noticed that they require a LoR from a pastor/employer/etc. which I may not have. Thanks

I would say that the most important difference would be how a catholic believes that they are saved. Christians believe it is through grace alone and not works but a catholic may believe that works during your life affect your salvation. However, not all Catholics believe that works are needed for salvation, so it’s not as clear cut as it may seem. It depends on your personal relationship with Christ and acknowledgement of the fact that salvation is a gift tht cannot be earned.

Reactions: 5 users
I would say that the most important difference would be how a catholic believes that they are saved. Christians believe it is through grace alone and not works but a catholic may believe that works during your life affect your salvation. However, not all Catholics believe that works are needed for salvation, so it’s not as clear cut as it may seem. It depends on your personal relationship with Christ and acknowledgement of the fact that salvation is a gift tht cannot be earned.

Thanks for the clarification! I definitely want to gain a better understanding of all sides especially if I receive an interview and for my personal benefit. I was reading in different places that some Christians believe Catholicism to be pagan heresy and what not, so I didn't want to trip over my words. I'll probably do more reading especially about the salvation part and I'll keep an open mind about this whole thing.

I believe Catholics are Christians, I've never understood why people place them in two different categories. Christians are Christ followers. We all use the same manual; the Bible.

That was my understanding as well, so would it be accurate to call myself a Christian Catholic? I had the thought process that all Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic.

That was my understanding as well, so would it be accurate to call myself a Christian Catholic? I had the thought process that all Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic.
Yeah, not all Christians are Catholics. There are some elements of Catholicism that are controversial in the Christian community, but it's mostly doctrines. The only true guide to Christianity is the Bible, forget religion/doctrines as far as your interview is concerned. Go with your personal convictions based on the Bible.

Yeah, not all Christians are Catholics. There are some elements of Catholicism that are controversial in the Christian community, but it's mostly doctrines. The only true guide to Christianity is the Bible, forget religion/doctrines as far as your interview is concerned. Go with your personal convictions based on the Bible.

Sounds good! Thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to refresh my memory and start reading the Bible over again.

Sounds good! Thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to refresh my memory and start reading the Bible over again.
pm abbsmed on this forum, she will help you prepare successfully for the interview since she already got accepted. Good luck!

Hey all! Hope interviews and your cycles are going well. Current OMS-I student at LUCOM here and I'd be happy to share my thoughts on the school if you all need along with curriculum and such (as much as I know anyway). I'm working on studying for our exam monday so if people want to leave me inbox messages or reply to my post I'll be happy to answer as soon as I'm done that day.

Hey all! Hope interviews and your cycles are going well. Current OMS-I student at LUCOM here and I'd be happy to share my thoughts on the school if you all need along with curriculum and such (as much as I know anyway). I'm working on studying for our exam monday so if people want to leave me inbox messages or reply to my post I'll be happy to answer as soon as I'm done that day.
Hi, I have recently been accepted and I am really excited. Can you share what made you pick LUCOM over other schools? Also how is the town? Are there things you don't like about the school?

Hi, I have recently been accepted and I am really excited. Can you share what made you pick LUCOM over other schools? Also how is the town? Are there things you don't like about the school?

When did you get acceptance and when did you have your interview?

hey guys, I was wondering...has anyone that has interviewed on 10/5 or later heard anything?

Thanks for answering questions! How's the student body so far? Is it competitive or cliquey amongst students? Are people open minded to certain things? Also how's the fitness center?

hey guys, I was wondering...has anyone that has interviewed on 10/5 or later heard anything?

Just an FYI, we had our Dean’s hour yesterday and he mentioned that on Tuesday the committee would be reviewing 77 applicants who have interviewed recently.

Based on the numbers of interviewees per week that would likely count everyone who has interviewed in October and even moving back into late September.

So, if you haven’t heard back and interviewed during those times then don’t fret!

Reactions: 3 users
Just received an II today. Emailed admissions cause my application was never marked complete even though everything was complete a couple months ago, he responded saying I would be receiving an II the next day.....lol, he was right. Interviewing this Monday, VA resident so it was feasible.

Reactions: 3 users
Just an FYI, we had our Dean’s hour yesterday and he mentioned that on Tuesday the committee would be reviewing 77 applicants who have interviewed recently.

Based on the numbers of interviewees per week that would likely count everyone who has interviewed in October and even moving back into late September.

So, if you haven’t heard back and interviewed during those times then don’t fret!
Thank you so much for that information! That is very helpful! I interviewed September 29th and haven't heard a thing! It has me quite anxious! :dead:

Are people getting accepted off the WL already? I have been on the WL after interviewing Sept 28th. Will WL candidates not hear back until the end of the cycle? or people get moved up frequently?

Are people getting accepted off the WL already? I have been on the WL after interviewing Sept 28th. Will WL candidates not hear back until the end of the cycle? or people get moved up frequently?
Dr. Patton said if anyone in our group (September 29th) was waitlisted, we would know by January if we are accepted.

Last edited:
Dr. Patton said if anyone in our group (September 29th) was waitlisted, we would know by January.
That makes sense since deposits for accepted students are due in January. I guess that's when they'll really know how many of the accepted students are actually attending.

Dr. Patton said if anyone in our group (September 29th) was waitlisted, we would know by January.

My perception was that Dr. Patton told our group that you would know about the waitlist position within those 30 days, but you would likely know if you're going to be accepted off the waitlist early (more like January). He said that the waitlist spots are also kind of like rolling admissions and they accept people as the cycle goes on!

My perception was that Dr. Patton told our group that you would know about the waitlist position within those 30 days, but you would likely know if you're going to be accepted off the waitlist early (more like January). He said that the waitlist spots are also kind of like rolling admissions and they accept people as the cycle goes on!
Right, that's what I was saying.

Just had our monthly Dean's hour. Dr.Patton mentioned 70 applicants would be going in front of the admissions committee this Tuesday.

Best of luck. Back to cramming for an anatomy test.... +pity+

is it too late to submit a secondary?

No, I think i submitted mine around this time last year. Have friends who didn't submit till even later in cycle.

It doesn't matter what christian denomination you are, or honestly, what religion you are to LUCOM. But being active within a church is probably a big plus on your application.

Anywho, Catholicism was the first Christian church, founded by Jesus per the bible. Other denominations split off from them for one reason or another. But they're all christian.

Have a question if someone could help me out: I submitted early August and haven't heard back. My stats are above average, and I've gotten interview invitations at several MD and DOs but I wonder about LUCOM because I am down with its whole package and I do one day want to lead Christian medical mission work. You know, if it's the right thing for me.

Would it be okay if I bug the admissions office about my application? Has anyone else experienced maybe an office/technical mistake and their application was never reviewed?

Have a question if someone could help me out: I submitted early August and haven't heard back. My stats are above average, and I've gotten interview invitations at several MD and DOs but I wonder about LUCOM because I am down with its whole package and I do one day want to lead Christian medical mission work. You know, if it's the right thing for me.

Would it be okay if I bug the admissions office about my application? Has anyone else experienced maybe an office/technical mistake and their application was never reviewed?

I get the feeling like the admissions office would be completely okay with that. During my interview, they were super transparent and willing to share any aspect of the process, so I bet they're really willing to help out!

Yeah, call them or email them. They are all really friendly and should be able help you out. Mention you have an interest in mission work.

Withdrawing my acceptance here this week, so good luck to the rest of you! Really good vibes at this school, and I know many of you will love it.

Withdrawing my acceptance here this week, so good luck to the rest of you! Really good vibes at this school, and I know many of you will love it.
+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I hope you guys’ withdrawal makes my chance of acceptance higher. I am one of the 70 applicants who will be reviewed on Tuesday! Praying..

Reactions: 4 users
Just received an II today. Emailed admissions cause my application was never marked complete even though everything was complete a couple months ago, he responded saying I would be receiving an II the next day.....lol, he was right. Interviewing this Monday, VA resident so it was feasible.
Congrats on the II! Do you know if you're marked complete through email or through the portal? And if so where do you check on the portal? I already sent my MCAT to Liberty, but I was wondering if I needed to send in my letters of rec separately too even though they're on AACOMAS. Thanks!

You are marked complete in portal generally, but issues do come up. Email them if you thing something is wrong. You should not have to resend any LOR unless you have new ones that you want to send.

Congrats on the II! Do you know if you're marked complete through email or through the portal? And if so where do you check on the portal? I already sent my MCAT to Liberty, but I was wondering if I needed to send in my letters of rec separately too even though they're on AACOMAS. Thanks!

Congrats on the II. I would come meet you at 8 but i will be having a panic attack in the blue auditorium from test anxiety. :drowning:

good luck

Received an email that my application had been received, but my MCAT was a little low and asked if I were retaking (am in January). Also said that they really liked my application and the Christian service that I was involved in, and that was the kind of people they were trying to attract to Liberty. I responded that I was retaking in January. All I got back was a thanks for the quick response.... Should I expect a secondary? Thought I might get a secondary and then them hold off on the interview invite pending the outcome of my MCAT. I think February would be too late to just be getting a secondary. Thoughts?

You are marked complete in portal generally, but issues do come up. Email them if you thing something is wrong. You should not have to resend any LOR unless you have new ones that you want to send.

Ooh thank you for the info! I just found through the portal that I'm still under provisional status even though they've received my secondary almost 6 days ago. There's no date on the recommendation letters though meaning they haven't received it or processed it yet I assume? Does it usually take a while for them to add the letters of rec? Maybe I'll contact them on Tuesday or Wednesday asking if they need me to resend them, but they are all on AACOMAS.

Ooh thank you for the info! I just found through the portal that I'm still under provisional status even though they've received my secondary almost 6 days ago. There's no date on the recommendation letters though meaning they haven't received it or processed it yet I assume? Does it usually take a while for them to add the letters of rec? Maybe I'll contact them on Tuesday or Wednesday asking if they need me to resend them, but they are all on AACOMAS.
In my case my letters were never marked received even though they were already reviewing my application. I emailed them and they said they had everything already. Just keep checking your application status on your portal and it will eventually tell you if you will review an interview.