2017-2018 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks so much, I also just found out about the admissions checklist, how do you find out your status?
In the mylu portal it’ll say under Status. You can also go to:

My Access > ASIST > General Information > Applicant Status

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone knows the list of equipments we would need/have as a student at LUCOM? (Type of Laptop, recommended type of stethoscope to buy, etc). So i can prepare beforehand?

Thanks!

Anyone knows the list of equipments we would need/have as a student at LUCOM? (Type of Laptop, recommended type of stethoscope to buy, etc). So i can prepare beforehand?

Thanks!
You don't really need to buy anything beforehand. They give you the opportunity to buy all of your equipment together during your orientation week. Also, the library here buys the license to all of the textbooks you need, so you can read them digitally for free.
The school incorporates a laptop into your student fees and provides free IT help / a guarantee on all parts while you are a student here. (e.g., my friend's roof leaked onto his laptop, and they replaced everything damaged for free. Not that bad of a deal after all)
In short, you shouldn't have to worry about buying anything until you get here for orientation. I personally bought my stethoscope beforehand on amazon for $10 cheaper, but it wasn't that big of a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to post again, but I just needed to apologize to those that interviewed today. Some of you weren't able to see the anatomy lab on our tour due to an exam that was taking place. I promised to show you around the lab after your interview day, but I think I got out of the exam too late, as you were all gone. Just an FYI, I did not bail on you! Please message me if you have any questions, concerns, threats, etc. about your interview or beyond!

You don't really need to buy anything beforehand. They give you the opportunity to buy all of your equipment together during your orientation week. Also, the library here buys the license to all of the textbooks you need, so you can read them digitally for free.
The school incorporates a laptop into your student fees and provides free IT help / a guarantee on all parts while you are a student here. (e.g., my friend's roof leaked onto his laptop, and they replaced everything damaged for free. Not that bad of a deal after all)
In short, you shouldn't have to worry about buying anything until you get here for orientation. I personally bought my stethoscope beforehand on amazon for $10 cheaper, but it wasn't that big of a difference.

How does their laptop fees work?
My laptop broke recently and I was thinking of replacing it with an iPad Pro.
Do they give us the money back to choose which laptop we prefer?

How does their laptop fees work?
My laptop broke recently and I was thinking of replacing it with an iPad Pro.
Do they give us the money back to choose which laptop we prefer?
Depending on what laptop they choose for everyone, there will be a ~$1500 laptop fee incorporated into your first semester's costs. Exams are taken on these laptops, so they want to make sure that everyone has the same one. You're fine with buying an ipad to go along with it, as I know several people that use their own laptop for everything except exams, it's all up to you. I have an iPad Pro with a bunch of anatomy apps to use as a supplement, and it's been beneficial but not at all necessary.
We all moaned and thought it was ridiculous that one particular laptop was mandated by the school, but now that I look back, it was a good decision. The class of 2021 got the ThinkPad Yoga 370, and although I'm normally a Mac person, this one has treated me rather nicely.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know if the admissions office is strict about meeting deadlines? I am trying to do the admissions checklist, but I think it will take a longer time to check off the immunization requirements.

Does anybody know if the admissions office is strict about meeting deadlines? I am trying to do the admissions checklist, but I think it will take a longer time to check off the immunization requirements.
I was wondering the same thing and I emailed them about an extension and this is what they said: "Please send your completed paperwork for review. We will then grant an extension based upon what is missing. Once you complete the missing immunizations you can then send them in. Thank you for your prompt follow up."

I think there were people who didn't finish those immunization requirements until the first week of school for class of 2021. Don't do that though lol.

Does anyone know when the next committee meeting is?

Depending on what laptop they choose for everyone, there will be a ~$1500 laptop fee incorporated into your first semester's costs. Exams are taken on these laptops, so they want to make sure that everyone has the same one. You're fine with buying an ipad to go along with it, as I know several people that use their own laptop for everything except exams, it's all up to you. I have an iPad Pro with a bunch of anatomy apps to use as a supplement, and it's been beneficial but not at all necessary.
We all moaned and thought it was ridiculous that one particular laptop was mandated by the school, but now that I look back, it was a good decision. The class of 2021 got the ThinkPad Yoga 370, and although I'm normally a Mac person, this one has treated me rather nicely.

Do you happen to know if we 2022 be using the same laptop model? Or when will it be announced to buy it? I am looking around for a tablet, and dont want to get one if we getting a ThinkPad Yoga 370.

I will be giving up my seat, and although it saddens me to do so I am sure it'll go to one of you amazing people here. I got admitted into one of my top choice schools and can't let the opportunity go. For everyone else who will be part of LUCOM good luck and I'm sure you'll have a great time here as it sounds like a great school.

Do you happen to know if we 2022 be using the same laptop model? Or when will it be announced to buy it? I am looking around for a tablet, and dont want to get one if we getting a ThinkPad Yoga 370.

No clue. But every class has gotten a different laptop. The Yoga has it's quirks - like shutting down if you hold it wrong, lol - or freezing in the middle of an anatomy practical (sweet!). They should buy you guys a nice Dell Alienware 15 and call it a day. :)

Productivity + gaming = epic

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought they based the laptop decision on what the class before them recommended and critiqued.

I thought they based the laptop decision on what the class before them recommended and critiqued.

I'm not sure if this is so. They haven't surveyed us yet, but i guess they still have time.

I definitely agree with either the Surface Pro's or the iPad Pro

Reactions: 2 users
I got into my number one school here on the west coast. LUCOM is literally across the country but I had such a great time there that it is making this desicion really difficult. Everyone was so encouraging during my visit.

Reactions: 3 users
I got into my number one school here on the west coast. LUCOM is literally across the country but I had such a great time there that it is making this desicion really difficult. Everyone was so encouraging during my visit.

I had the same thing happen with me. I got into my #1 choice that was super close to home and family but I couldn’t turn LUCOM down and made the leap. There hasn’t been a second that I’ve regretted that decision.

With that in mind, make sure you choose what you feel will be the best fit for you. I chose LUCOM because when I was here it felt like a very, very comfortable and unforced environment. The students seemed to be happy and so did the faculty and everyone I kept in touch with after my interview reiterated my interview day observations. Keep in mind that one of the most important factors when making a decision should be based on however you would feel spending the majority of your time on the campus of that school. I quickly realized that being an hour from home wouldn’t mean much 90% of the time because 90% of my time would need to be spent at my school or studying if I wanted to be as successful as I thought I could be.

That’s my own $.02. I passed on a couple of schools much closer to home (and that SDN know-it-alls rave about) because I realized that I needed to make the decision that would set me up to be the most comfortable from 8 am to 9 pm each day. If that isn’t LUCOM then don’t come! If that is LUCOM then I think you’d be kicking yourself over the next few years if you didn’t come here.

Reactions: 6 users

I'm not sure what you guys will get, and I don't think you'll find out until you get here. That being said, I would recommend our laptop. I've only had minor issues, and taking it to IT is free and quick. If they do need to work on it for a while, you'll get a loaned laptop in the meantime.

As previously said, choose the one that best fits you. I also had to make that choice between proximity to family and LUCOM, and I chose LUCOM due to the environment here. Medical school here is fun, and it's more of a community. Stay true to yourself, and go where you feel like it is most aligned with who you want to be as a student and physician.

Any thoughts? https://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2018sklstats.html
LUCOM - 57 matched, 17 did no match and 52 Not participate.
Where did those 52 go? MD programs?

Yes, the 52 non-participants are waiting for the NRMP results on March 16. By the time y’all get around to matching there will be single accreditation and there will no longer be two separate matches.

LUCOM has done extremely well so far with those who have matched and even those that scrambled did quite well. We outperformed a lot of people’s expectations as a new school and set the bar pretty high.

Yes, the 52 non-participants are waiting for the NRMP results on March 16. By the time y’all get around to matching there will be single accreditation and there will no longer be two separate matches.

LUCOM has done extremely well so far with those who have matched and even those that scrambled did quite well. We outperformed a lot of people’s expectations as a new school and set the bar pretty high.

When you say did well, you mean just matching and or matching into specialties? If you know of any specialties that were matched into, can you please share with us what they were. We have already been privy to one neurosurgery and two general surgery residency matches. Do you know of any else? Thank you.

When you say did well, you mean just matching and or matching into specialties? If you know of any specialties that were matched into, can you please share with us what they were. We have already been privy to one neurosurgery and two general surgery residency matches. Do you know of any else? Thank you.

We had 7 or 8 Match into surgery if I recall, 1 neurosurgery, and then a distribution of other specialties including IM, FM, EM, OB/Gyn etc.

I’m not sure exactly what you’re looking for...they may publish a full list after the NRMP Match is complete that illustrates how many matches to why specialty and where, but you have to keep in mind that the list is more a reflection of the specialties our class wanted to match into, not necessarily a reflection of the specialties the school was able to place us in. The vast majority of students matched into their chosen specialty, even those who had to scramble got what they wanted for the most part, although maybe not where they wanted.

At any rate, placing importance on the distribution of specialties that our class matched misses the large point that the heavy lifting of matching Into a desired specialty is done by the student, not the school. High quality, well rounded, academically successful students Match where they want to match for the most part, regardless of where they went to school.

We had 7 or 8 Match into surgery if I recall, 1 neurosurgery, and then a distribution of other specialties including IM, FM, EM, OB/Gyn etc.

I’m not sure exactly what you’re looking for...they may publish a full list after the NRMP Match is complete that illustrates how many matches to why specialty and where, but you have to keep in mind that the list is more a reflection of the specialties our class wanted to match into, not necessarily a reflection of the specialties the school was able to place us in. The vast majority of students matched into their chosen specialty, even those who had to scramble got what they wanted for the most part, although maybe not where they wanted.

At any rate, placing importance on the distribution of specialties that our class matched misses the large point that the heavy lifting of matching Into a desired specialty is done by the student, not the school. High quality, well rounded, academically successful students Match where they want to match for the most part, regardless of where they went to school.

That point was not missed on me. However, there is bias everywhere in relation to D.O. compounded by the negative connotation that LUCOM has unjustifiedly garnered. So if LUCOM students have acquired great residencies that is great. As any potential incoming student this information is invaluable in order to aide students in taking this program seriously, along with other factors, so please do not knock a very understanable question to a very understanable concern for any student considering a medical school.

That point was not missed on me. However, there is bias everywhere in relation to D.O. compounded by the negative connotation that LUCOM has unjustifiedly garnered. So if LUCOM students have acquired great residencies that is great. As any potential incoming student this information is invaluable in order to aide students in taking this program seriously, along with other factors, so please do not knock a very understanable question to a very understanable concern for any student considering a medical school.
I didn't see him 'knocking' your question or concern in any way. It was done respectfully, giving the information that you asked for. Pretty much all of the students that went for the match this month, got their top picks. For those that didn't get their top picks, they still matched within their desired field. That is about all the information we have until more specific stats are compiled after the NRMP match next month. Incoming students should take this as evidence that LUCOM does indeed provide a great learning experience and opportunities, but as WTEngel said (and should be general knowledge, no matter how cliche it sounds), it's what you make of medical school as a student that will determine how well you match in your desired field.
We're all striving to be great physicians and healers for our fellow man, so let's not seek offense where none was intended.

Reactions: 8 users

So a few points that make it hard to address the spirit of your question in a meaningful way:

-you talk about LUCOM students “acquiring great residencies”, but what does that even mean? Most would assume that a great residency is one that is in the field the student wants located in a geographic region that’s acceptable to them. What are you using to quantify “great residencies” and what data would get you to your answer?

-what platform for comparison do you intend to use when measuring LUCOM against any other program? If one program matches 15% of its graduates into surgery, does that make them better than a program that only matched 7% of its graduates? Those are arbitrary percentages I have thrown out here, and so far as I know there is not a standard distribution of what specialties every graduating medical school class should have. There are too many factors to consider.

-as for bias, I didn’t encounter any based on my status as a DO or LUCOM student. I received over 40 interview invites (I was overly cautious and applied to way too many programs, 70 or 80 I think) and was well received at the interviews I attended. I am a middle of the road student, with average stats, applying pediatrics (average competitiveness for primary care specialties depending on the year) and I don’t feel like my options were limited being from LUCOM or due to my status as a DO. I didn’t want to apply to Harvard, and the only reason they would have interviewed me is if someone accidentally dropped my application on the “interview” pile as they were pushing it towards the trash - but that has more to do with me than anything. If I had made the grades and scored high enough on boards to meet their criteria, I probably could have gotten an interview at anywhere that generally accepts DOs. Part of the residency matching “game” is to know yourself, try to know the programs, and make tactical decisions about where you apply.

-As for DO bias, how single accreditation is going to change things up is anyone’s guess at this point. Some say it will be better, so say it will be more competitive, my guess is that for programs that have traditionally taken DOs, it won’t change anything, and for programs that have never taken DOs, single accreditation is not going to magically change their mind. It does set the stage for things that will change the DO/MD landscape 5-10 years after you have graduated probably.

I guess the take home message is that for the vast majority of students, the factors limiting their residency options have little to do with what school they attend and almost everything to do with their individual performance.

Also, whether it is LUCOM or any other school, I would caution you about fixating too much on residency matching statistics other than “overall” matching success. Everything else is widely variable year to year and person to person. If you are giving major consideration to how many people matched to what specialty and where when choosing what medical school you’re going to, you’re putting the cart light years ahead of the horse.

This is all just my opinion of course. I have always been very much the type of person that bends whatever circumstances I am handed to my own will, and have never let things like what school I attended dictate my future.

I didn't see him 'knocking' your question or concern in any way. It was done respectfully, giving the information that you asked for. Pretty much all of the students that went for the match this month, got their top picks. For those that didn't get their top picks, they still matched within their desired field. That is about all the information we have until more specific stats are compiled after the NRMP match next month. Incoming students should take this as evidence that LUCOM does indeed provide a great learning experience and opportunities, but as WTEngel said (and should be general knowledge, no matter how cliche it sounds), it's what you make of medical school as a student that will determine how well you match in your desired field.
We're all striving to be great physicians and healers for our fellow man, so let's not seek offense where none was intended.

Solidarity is a quality to be admired even if it is misplaced by speaking for someone whom is more than capable of speaking for themselves. Keep your comments about offense to yourself because if you felt obliged to respond for your colleague, it sounds as if you took affront to my reply to him; I was not addressing you. Please, by all means, don't impute intention to me throught text when you have no idea about tone. By that same token, I had no complete and assured means of knowing your colleague's intention so I responded in a catch all fashion. Your advice is as unnecessary as your words. I was addressing your colleague. I have no intention of getting into a pathetic debate with you and if you are insecure enough to feel the obligation to have the last word, then please go ahead and reply with vitriol. I will not give your responses consideration unless they directly address any of my questions.

Solidarity is a quality to be admired even if it is misplaced by speaking for someone whom is more than capable of speaking for themselves. Keep your comments about offense to yourself because if you felt obliged to respond for your colleague, it sounds as if you took affront to my reply to him; I was not addressing you. Please, by all means, don't impute intention to me throught text when you have no idea about tone. By that same token, I had no complete and assured means of knowing your colleague's intention so I responded in a catch all fashion. Your advice is as unnecessary as your words. I was addressing your colleague. I have no intention of getting into a pathetic debate with you and if you are insecure enough to feel the obligation to have the last word, then please go ahead and reply with vitriol. I will not give your responses consideration unless they directly address any of my questions.

Triggered much? I bet you’re a real treat to work with...

Last edited:
So a few points that make it hard to address the spirit of your question in a meaningful way:

-you talk about LUCOM students “acquiring great residencies”, but what does that even mean? Most would assume that a great residency is one that is in the field the student wants located in a geographic region that’s acceptable to them. What are you using to quantify “great residencies” and what data would get you to your answer?

-what platform for comparison do you intend to use when measuring LUCOM against any other program? If one program matches 15% of its graduates into surgery, does that make them better than a program that only matched 7% of its graduates? Those are arbitrary percentages I have thrown out here, and so far as I know there is not a standard distribution of what specialties every graduating medical school class should have. There are too many factors to consider.

-as for bias, I didn’t encounter any based on my status as a DO or LUCOM student. I received over 40 interview invites (I was overly cautious and applied to way too many programs, 70 or 80 I think) and was well received at the interviews I attended. I am a middle of the road student, with average stats, applying pediatrics (average competitiveness for primary care specialties depending on the year) and I don’t feel like my options were limited being from LUCOM or due to my status as a DO. I didn’t want to apply to Harvard, and the only reason they would have interviewed me is if someone accidentally dropped my application on the “interview” pile as they were pushing it towards the trash - but that has more to do with me than anything. If I had made the grades and scored high enough on boards to meet their criteria, I probably could have gotten an interview at anywhere that generally accepts DOs. Part of the residency matching “game” is to know yourself, try to know the programs, and make tactical decisions about where you apply.

-As for DO bias, how single accreditation is going to change things up is anyone’s guess at this point. Some say it will be better, so say it will be more competitive, my guess is that for programs that have traditionally taken DOs, it won’t change anything, and for programs that have never taken DOs, single accreditation is not going to magically change their mind. It does set the stage for things that will change the DO/MD landscape 5-10 years after you have graduated probably.

I guess the take home message is that for the vast majority of students, the factors limiting their residency options have little to do with what school they attend and almost everything to do with their individual performance.

Also, whether it is LUCOM or any other school, I would caution you about fixating too much on residency matching statistics other than “overall” matching success. Everything else is widely variable year to year and person to person. If you are giving major consideration to how many people matched to what specialty and where when choosing what medical school you’re going to, you’re putting the cart light years ahead of the horse.

This is all just my opinion of course. I have always been very much the type of person that bends whatever circumstances I am handed to my own will, and have never let things like what school I attended dictate my future.

Thank you for your lengthy response. In reference to "great residencies", I meant specialities that are more competitive than primary care.

As for comparison of schools, I am not directly comparing schools. What my question was attempting to ascertain are details concerning matches that LUCOM students are attaining?

I am not concerned with personal responsibility in relation to this question. It is tacitly implied that personal responsibility of the students can dictate their outcomes. I was and am purely concerned with knowing the information.

My question was not designed to engage some sort of moral dilemma about whether I am partially or completely not evaluating med schools equitably. I simply wanted the insight, that and your colleagues are privied to, in order satisfy my curiousity prior to the overall match in March.

Regardless of the course of these exchanges, thank you for answering my questions.

PS: I did not refer to bias because that needed to be addressed, I was offering that as a means to justify my question concerning residency placement. Thank you nevertheless for your detailed response.

Thank you for your lengthy response. In reference to "great residencies", I meant specialities that are more competitive than primary care.

As for comparison of schools, I am not directly comparing schools. What my question was attempting to ascertain are details concerning matches that LUCOM students are attaining?

I am not concerned with personal responsibility in relation to this question. It is tacitly implied that personal responsibility of the students can dictate their outcomes. I was and am purely concerned with knowing the information.

My question was not designed to engage some sort of moral dilemma about whether I am partially or completely not evaluating med schools equitably. I simply wanted the insight, that and your colleagues are privied to, in order satisfy my curiousity prior to the overall match in March.

Regardless of the course of these exchanges, thank you for answering my questions.

PS: I did not refer to bias because that needed to be addressed, I was offering that as a means to justify my question concerning residency placement. Thank you nevertheless for your detailed response.

Your posts are saturated with insecurity and lack of self awareness. Maybe you are more pleasant in person, but I doubt it.

At any rate, the info you want will probably come out in late March, and it will still be largely meaningless at that time.

Your posts are saturated with insecurity and lack of self awareness. Maybe you are more pleasant in person, but I doubt it.

At any rate, the info you want will probably come out in late March, and it will still be largely meaningless at that time.

Coming from someone so ignorant of their own rudeness that they continue for spite. Yes, how insightful of you to be able read others so well about their lack of self awareness that you have missed your own faults. Continue to be rude and my temperament will be a self-fullfilling prophecy if we ever meet.

ANYWAY...

is everyone accepted to LUCOM done with their admissions checklist? I am behind in getting some forms in and I'm wondering if they are lenient on giving extensions.

Reactions: 4 users

Based on what you’ve seen so far, are more students matching to community programs or university programs? And is it a choice most people are faced with? Btw thank you for sharing your knowledge and info with us. We could learn a thing or two from you folks on the finishing end of med school!

ANYWAY...

is everyone accepted to LUCOM done with their admissions checklist? I am behind in getting some forms in and I'm wondering if they are lenient on giving extensions.
It’s down to securing some affordable insurance...:whistle:

Based on what you’ve seen so far, are more students matching to community programs or university programs? And is it a choice most people are faced with? Btw thank you for sharing your knowledge and info with us. We could learn a thing or two from you folks on the finishing end of med school!

That’s a good question...I can tell you what I have heard, but it’s not official by any means.

It’s been a good mix of university and community programs, with the balance probably favoring community programs at this point. The AOA Match tends to be very community program heavy though, so it will be interesting to see what the distribution is in the NRMP.

My list is a mix of university and community programs. I have university programs in my 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7 spots, and community programs in my 2 and 4 spots on my rank order list. I will probably Match number 1 or possibly number 2. In the end my rank list was more about what programs I felt like gave me the training that set me up for my future goals, whether they be university or community.

Depending on what specialty you’re looking at, community vs university becomes somewhat more important but usually isn’t the end all be all.

Reactions: 3 users
I was wondering the same thing.

Hi guys. I interviewed here at LUCOM just this Thursday (2/22). Dr. Patton said the admissions' committee will be meeting next Wednesday (2/28).
Moreover, he said we should be hearing regarding a decision in 21 days (at the latest), or 14 days (at the earliest). Hope this Helps!

ANYWAY...

I would say email LUCOM and let them know what's going on with your forms ASAP. From my experience they're alright with giving you extensions if it seems like you need more time, such as doctors offices being slow with immunization records and the like.

As a note to everyone in general, if you do submit something, give them some time to mark it as done, as sometimes they will have a large pile of people who just sent in their forms and it can take some time for them to sort through.

ANYWAY...

I got the immunization part left. Submitted what i had so far, and they gave me a list of vaccines i got left and extended my deadline to get them done. Not too bad. Submit what you did so far and they will grant extensions.

I am starting here in the fall and was wondering if any current students can tell me what to expect as far as a Thanksgiving holiday. One of my best friends is getting married in New Jersey the Saturday after Thanksgiving and I am trying to start planning our trip. Thanks!

I am starting here in the fall and was wondering if any current students can tell me what to expect as far as a Thanksgiving holiday. One of my best friends is getting married in New Jersey the Saturday after Thanksgiving and I am trying to start planning our trip. Thanks!

I'm 90% sure we had an exam the day we came back from Thanksgiving break, which would mean the following weekend would've be an off weekend. The schedule changes year to year though depending on how they work the courses. You probably won't know the specifics of that time period till sometime in August sadly.