2017-2018 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Off campus housing is generally pet friendly around here. Beware that going through a broker will cost you a month’s rent for commission. I recommend craigslist at least at first.

Have you been accepted already?

Nope, my interview is next month. Thank you, I was just curious!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any way to figure out your casper score? I havent heard from any of the casper schools and thinking I may have bombed it. I fit the mission of one of the schools very well and still have silence from them too.

Reactions: 1 users
@buckoh24 Unfortunately no there isn’t. They don’t ever share the score with the student. Unethical in my opinion, but that’s how it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@buckoh24 Unfortunately no there isn’t. They don’t ever share the score with the student. Unethical in my opinion, but that’s how it is.
hmmmm unethical but the test is about ethics.....looks like the casper company wouldnt even pass their own test

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone on hold or know of anyone on hold who has received an II?

I’ve been on hold since the Fall and haven’t received notification of rejection or II. What should people in my situation expect at this point? Admissions says II go out until end of March. Can someone confirm this?

I’ve been on hold since the Fall and haven’t received notification of rejection or II. What should people in my situation expect at this point? Admissions says II go out until end of March. Can someone confirm this?
I'm in the same boat as you! If you look at last year's thread, I think that II were still going out in March. In fact, I think they start giving out post-hold IIs then, so it's probably going to be a little more waiting for us.

I'm in the same boat as you! If you look at last year's thread, I think that II were still going out in March. In fact, I think they start giving out post-hold IIs then, so it's probably going to be a little more waiting for us.

I wonder how many individuals are kept in this “status” and if they are actually reviewing these applications in consideration for interviews or have just forgot to send out the rejection letters lol

One of my friends got an II a few days ago. Scheduled for early March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
@ accepted students, how long did it take for you to receive the hard-copy snail mail acceptance, and did that come along with an info packet or anything?

@ accepted students, how long did it take for you to receive the hard-copy snail mail acceptance, and did that come along with an info packet or anything?
I received the letter within a couple of weeks. It was a large envelope with another copy of the terms and conditions, and a sheet outlining important dates.

Would admissions consider a recommendation letter if sent by an on hold applicant? I’ve been carrying out research at New York Presbyterian and the letter is by one of the attending physicians who oversaw me and can strongly speak to my work. I’m also completing a masters of biomedical sciences this spring and will have my first exam grades of the semester by March 10th (of relevant courses such as gross anatomy, medical biochemistry, pharmacotherpauetics, clinical pharmacology and research). I want to veer away from too many updates however. (I sent one in January..)

Would admissions consider a recommendation letter if sent by an on hold applicant? I’ve been carrying out research at New York Presbyterian and the letter is by one of the attending physicians who oversaw me and can strongly speak to my work. I’m also completing a masters of biomedical sciences this spring and will have my first exam grades of the semester by March 10th (of relevant courses such as gross anatomy, medical biochemistry, pharmacotherpauetics, clinical pharmacology and research). I want to veer away from too many updates however. (I sent one in January..)
Why wouldn’t they consider it?

Why wouldn’t they consider it?

I sent a fall update (incl. my fall grades) around January 10th. I've been advised not to send too many updates but I feel like I have meaningful and advantageous advancements this year and it might influence my hold status? I'm not sure.. Also, I wrote about my research involvement from NYP in my Jan 10th update, so I'm not sure what weight a letter from the physician would hold...

How many on hold applicants do you think there are in the pool?

I sent a fall update (incl. my fall grades) around January 10th. I've been advised not to send too many updates but I feel like I have meaningful and advantageous advancements this year and it might influence my hold status? I'm not sure.. Also, I wrote about my research involvement from NYP in my Jan 10th update, so I'm not sure what weight a letter from the physician would hold...

How many on hold applicants do you think there are in the pool?
You’re overthinking this, if you have something like grades to update them with then update them. If someone wrote you a valuable letter, send it. That’s why they tell you that you can do these things on the portal. It’s getting down to the wire with IIs

I haven’t heard anything back though

You’re overthinking this, if you have something like grades to update them with then update them. If someone wrote you a valuable letter, send it. That’s why they tell you that you can do these things on the portal. It’s getting down to the wire with IIs

I haven’t heard anything back though

You have great stats, surprised you haven't heard back

Interviews this year will probably stop by the end of February or the first week of March, since they’re finishing up interviews in March this year, rather than April as they have in the past.

If you have updates or letters to add, send them in. There’s nothing to lose and nobody will hold it against you.

If you’re on hold, you’re not rejected until either they send you a rejection or they finish interviewing for the season and you haven’t been invited.

SEND IT. If anyone is telling you to not send too many updates - especially when you have meaningful things to update schools with - they are doing you a disservice.

Interviews this year will probably stop by the end of February or the first week of March, since they’re finishing up interviews in March this year, rather than April as they have in the past.

If you have updates or letters to add, send them in. There’s nothing to lose and nobody will hold it against you.

If you’re on hold, you’re not rejected until either they send you a rejection or they finish interviewing for the season and you haven’t been invited.
Of course the year I apply they aren't interviewing into April. It's always my luck. Thanks for the information.

How did you find out that they’re not interviewing to April?

To all those who have interviewed, is there a regular component to the interview in addition to the MMI? Meaning, do I need to prepare for the standard "Why NYMC?", "Why medicine?", "Tell me about volunteer experience XYZ..." types of questions? Or is it purely MMI? (I've never done an MMI, so I'm not sure what it means for the standard-type interview).

I tried searching through this thread for this information; I apologize if it was already answered earlier, but I couldn't find anything on it.

To all those who have interviewed, is there a regular component to the interview in addition to the MMI? Meaning, do I need to prepare for the standard "Why NYMC?", "Why medicine?", "Tell me about volunteer experience XYZ..." types of questions? Or is it purely MMI? (I've never done an MMI, so I'm not sure what it means for the standard-type interview).

I tried searching through this thread for this information; I apologize if it was already answered earlier, but I couldn't find anything on it.

I have not interviewed at this school but based on my MMI experience at other schools I would say you should prepare to answer those types of questions.

Hey, yes you should prep for these questions. There is one station where they ask you this type of question + ask you to elaborate on things from your resume.
Edit: Also you get the same 6 (or was it 7) minutes at this station as you do at all the others. So be clear, succinct, and confident in your answers!

Just got rejected Pre II. Complete 8/10.

Edit: Hasnt changed on portal. Still says under review. Never put on hold.

Last edited:
I also got rejected today. Submitted in July for those who are wondering. Also, I don't know if I had been placed on hold because I never checked. Good luck to everyone who still has upcoming interviews!

Hey, yes you should prep for these questions. There is one station where they ask you this type of question + ask you to elaborate on things from your resume.
Edit: Also you get the same 6 (or was it 7) minutes at this station as you do at all the others. So be clear, succinct, and confident in your answers!

I want to take a minute to remind everyone that interviewed: you all signed a non-disclosure agreement, so beware in discussing specifics about your stations. Also, stations are not the same every day and there is no point in trying to know them ahead of time anyway.

“Thank you for your interest in New York Medical College. In response to your inquiry – your application is complete and under review with the Admissions Committee. Interviews are granted through March“

-Adcom on 2/15/18

“Thank you for your interest in New York Medical College. In response to your inquiry – your application is complete and under review with the Admissions Committee. Interviews are granted through March“

-Adcom on 2/15/18

So does that mean that we could potentially hear of interview invite March 28th or that the interviews are completed by March 28th?

If 3/30 is the last day for interviewing, what dates are they currently offering?

If 3/30 is the last day for interviewing, what dates are they currently offering?

I’m not sure, the only way to know would be to ask someone who has been invited recently. They’re probably filling late February and March dates now based on historical posts.

They're probably closed for President's day right? Why do I feel like this might be the week decisions come out...

Wouldn’t be silent if they sent them out

I see your point, however maybe they send out silent rejections to some and not to others? Who knows how these admissions do it...

I just feel like I’d rather know now if I’m rejected than agonizing over whether or not they’ll send out an II, you know?

Yes — the school is closed for President’s day.

@123libraryhome123 patience is a virtue. I didn’t get my interview invitation until the second week of March when I applied. Adjusting that for the shorter interview season, that would be next week or the week after in this cycle.

I promise am not making it up when I say that you’re not out until you’re either explicitly told you’re rejected or interview season ends without you being invited (and in that case they’ll still send you an email a week or two later).

Reactions: 4 users

@123libraryhome123 patience is a virtue. I didn’t get my interview invitation until the second week of March when I applied. Adjusting that for the shorter interview season, that would be next week or the week after in this cycle.

I promise am not making it up when I say that you’re not out until you’re either explicitly told you’re rejected or interview season ends without you being invited (and in that case they’ll still send you an email a week or two later).

Thanks for the insights. Are you an NYMC student currently?

So does this mean that they repeatedly consider your application throughout the cycle? And not put in a reject pile and just notify you after the cycle ends?