2017-2018 Ohio State University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I interviewed, they said that they might accept 1-2 people from each interview date early, but the rest of us would hear back in February.
Thanks! I couldn't remember if it was January or February that they told us 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I spoke to the OSU Office of Admissions last week and was told they are about half way through their review process and interviews go into March 🙂

Maybe a dumb question, but when you say "review process," do you mean initial review of applications to decide who gets interviews?
 
Maybe a dumb question, but when you say "review process," do you mean initial review of applications to decide who gets interviews?
That was how I interpreted it. They were able to tell me the date that my file was forwarded to a faculty member for review.
 
That was how I interpreted it. They were able to tell me the date that my file was forwarded to a faculty member for review.
Is the faculty review the one what is right before an II/R? I just got an email back about an inquiry from a while ago and they said Im currently in faculty review.
 
Is the faculty review the one what is right before an II/R? I just got an email back about an inquiry from a while ago and they said Im currently in faculty review.
Yes, I believe so. I think our files are forwarded to a faculty member for review at some point after completion (mine was forwarded many weeks after my complete date) and then a decision is made about an interview, but I think this faculty review can also take many weeks.
 
Yes, I believe so. I think our files are forwarded to a faculty member for review at some point after completion (mine was forwarded many weeks after my complete date) and then a decision is made about an interview, but I think this faculty review can also take many weeks.
I have an update about an abstract and hopefully my PI sends my LOR soon. I may update them today just in case they are close to a decision.
 
I know that there are 2 interviews: 1 with a faculty member and 1 with a student. Does anyone know how long each interview lasts?
 
My interview was early this month and was interview day 2- out of 50. I only got my invite 2 weeks before so I think that OSU is still going. Hope that helps! (If you want to stalk, the dean posts interview group pictures on his twitter lol)
I know they send IIs for 2 weeks at a time. And I called cuz of a LOR added and she said thry send IIs through march and you hear back within 2 weeks post interview. Do you know what day of the week you got your II? I know the committee meets every 2 weeks so Im assuming thats for both acceptances and IIs but seems like there has been little movement here recently....but Ohio schools like Toledo, OSU, Wright all run late.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is the decision date they give us accurate? My date is three weeks post interview, but my vitals says I will here two weeks post interview
the date they give you on your interview day should be accurate, but mine was 2 weeks after the interview! they also say they continuously review applications every two weeks, this is the first I have heard about 3 so kind of odd....
 
Just got an II this afternoon! So excited since tOSU is my top choice.
If anyone has information about how they do their interviews and what interview day was like, please let me know!

Lizzy M 73.6. I'm an instate resident and completed secondary in late August.
For what dates? Do they give you 2 week chunks to choose from or just 1 week?
 
For what dates? Do they give you 2 week chunks to choose from or just 1 week?

In my case, they are letting me interview a bit earlier because someone presumably gave up their interview slot, but normally I think it is at least 2 weeks notice and you get to choose a day during that 2 week block.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question for you guys as I'm brainstorming for this essay:
"OSU's mission.... is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas. (250 words or less)"

How can an undergraduate have experience that qualifies them to contribute to medical education? Or even have the potential to do so? What sort of experiences would fit for that?
Also (and I know I'm stretching the meaning of the phrase a bit), could you spin "medical education" as educating patients, not just med students. Like patient education - about their health, disease, etc,? Or is that too much of a stretch?

Excited to apply here! Alma mater 🙂
 
there haven't been any acceptance on here in a while. could that mean they have not sent out acceptances since december?
 
Is updating about an accepted second author international abstract worth it? Or is it not signifant enough? Its for the Canadian association of neuroscience (I'm not Canadian), I would add more about volunteering etc but idk if it's important enough
 
Is updating about an accepted second author international abstract worth it? Or is it not signifant enough? Its for the Canadian association of neuroscience (I'm not Canadian), I would add more about volunteering etc but idk if it's important enough

If you have both the accepted abstract and volunteering then yes, especially if you haven't updated them yet. It shows them you're actively doing stuff to make yourself a more attractive applicant while simultaneously showing continued interest.
 
If you have both the accepted abstract and volunteering then yes, especially if you haven't updated them yet. It shows them you're actively doing stuff to make yourself a more attractive applicant while simultaneously showing continued interest.

I've actually updated them twice, in september and early January. In total, since my submission in July, I updated them on continued volunteering with 3 places, a new volunteering teaching role, 2 second author review articles, one international abstract in france, additional 2000+hrs of research since I work full time, a new grade in post bac classes as I graduated etc.,

I just don't know if this holds any weight since I've updated on a lot of research stuff.
 
I've actually updated them twice, in september and early January. In total, since my submission in July, I updated them on continued volunteering with 3 places, a new volunteering teaching role, 2 second author review articles, one international abstract in france, additional 2000+hrs of research since I work full time, a new grade in post bac classes as I graduated etc.,

I just don't know if this holds any weight since I've updated on a lot of research stuff.

In that case I don't think you need to. Obviously I'm not a premed advisor but if you've done 2 updates and 1 wasn't even a month ago, I don't know if a smaller one only weeks later about an abstract is worth it. I submitted a large update in August and late December, and while I have started working on a lot of new research since my December update (new projects and another paper got submitted), I won't do another update for at least a few weeks, that is if I have enough content to make it a meaningful one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That email killed me. Especially since the Subject says Status update and then they say they cant even update on our status haha

I just got off the phone with admissions and they said that the email is more of a way to let people know that they're roughly halfway through the cycle. Also, if you give them your AMCAS number, they're pretty open about what stage of the process you're in (like when your app got sent to faculty review/when the faculty decision score should be coming back)!
 
I just got off the phone with admissions and they said that the email is more of a way to let people know that they're roughly halfway through the cycle. Also, if you give them your AMCAS number, they're pretty open about what stage of the process you're in (like when your app got sent to faculty review/when the faculty decision score should be coming back)!
They said I was in faculty review but I didnt know what step of the process that was. I thought it was the first step still.