2017-2018 Rosalind Franklin University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
secondary received and submitted! When do you think we have to assign letters? I assigned all of my five letters to all of the schools in AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received 10:00am, July 1st. Good luck everyone!

As far as updates go, the admissions office does not accept updates unless it is an Institutional Action, Felony, Misdemeanor or Military Discharge explanation.
Unfortunate. I was hoping to send an update with regards to publication. Oh well.

Why do you have to take the CASPer test on specific dates and times? That makes it so much more of a hassle -_-

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don't have much to talk about for the "challenge" on your journey to medical school prompt. Do you guys think I'm gonna be in a bad spot if I don't fill it out?

I honestly don't have much to talk about for the "challenge" on your journey to medical school prompt. Do you guys think I'm gonna be in a bad spot if I don't fill it out?

I am in same boat and I opted to leave it blank. I feel it's best to leave it and save them an essay rather than trying to squeeze together some... seemingly insignificant challenge, something they're not really looking for. It's very subjective, though. Fwiw, however, I submitted with it blank.

For the first essay, I want to talk about the fact that I have previously applied for a different cycle and didn't let the fact that I didn't get interviews discourage me, but rather motivated me to improve all aspects of my application and try again.

I'm a bit stuck on the diversity essay... I never know the right thing to talk about. For background, I'm a first gen American, family came as refugees from USSR. I touch on it very briefly in my PS, but should I make it the focus of my diversity essay, or go about it from a different angle? I have written essays about how my background has impacted my desire to pursue medicine, and am considering that for this essay. Suggestions?

For the first essay, I want to talk about the fact that I have previously applied for a different cycle and didn't let the fact that I didn't get interviews discourage me, but rather motivated me to improve all aspects of my application and try again.

I'm a bit stuck on the diversity essay... I never know the right thing to talk about. For background, I'm a first gen American, family came as refugees from USSR. I touch on it very briefly in my PS, but should I make it the focus of my diversity essay, or go about it from a different angle? I have written essays about how my background has impacted my desire to pursue medicine, and am considering that for this essay. Suggestions?
I come from a similar background. I used the diversity essay to explain how I am different from the other 10k applicants (and got accepted). You are a first gen American, not a refugee. You also don't want to sound like a victim.

I come from a similar background. I used the diversity essay to explain how I am different from the other 10k applicants (and got accepted). You are a first gen American, not a refugee. You also don't want to sound like a victim.

I totally agree about not wanting to sound like a victim, which I try to never do. The way I typically talk about it is in the sense of motivation, perseverance, etc. I do feel like my background influenced the person I am today, all in positive ways.

You can skip any optional essay; however, the purpose of these essays is to make you stand out from the hoard of applicants. Did you work during undergrad? Was there a gap in your education since you graduated?

Unless you have finished your degree with a perfect GPA and MCAT in four years, you have plenty to write about.

You can skip any optional essay; however, the purpose of these essays is to make you stand out from the hoard of applicants. Did you work during undergrad? Was there a gap in your education since you graduated?

Unless you have finished your degree with a perfect GPA and MCAT in four years, you have plenty to write about.

Adversity, sure. Things I've had to overcome sure. But the question is poorly worded, and it makes it seem as if they're asking about things along the lines of disadvantaged/first gen/immigrant/etc.

Adversity, sure. Things I've had to overcome sure. But the question is poorly worded, and it makes it seem as if they're asking about things along the lines of disadvantaged/first gen/immigrant/etc.
It's literally asking about any adversity that you have faced before applying. If you look at MSAR, you will see that RFU accepts students with lower than average stats. RFU is big on community and filling the future class with people who have life experiences that can enrich the school and the community as a whole.

Hey guys, I just called RF's admissions office about the first essay. In case anyone else is curious, the question is referring to overall challenges/adversity, not challenges related specifically to the application process. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I definitely answered the question how it was worded - about the application process. Not in a complaining way, but in an overcoming obstacles and growing from them kind of way. Hopefully that's still okay :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Well I definitely answered the question how it was worded - about the application process. Not in a complaining way, but in an overcoming obstacles and growing from them kind of way. Hopefully that's still okay :shrug:

I'm sure a good number of people are going to do the same with that kind of wording. I wouldn't stress about it too much.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone else feel like the 100 word count is way too low? I'm finding it hard for me to describe my challenges, how I overcame them, and the lessons that I learned in under 100 words...

Does anyone else feel like the 100 word count is way too low? I'm finding it hard for me to describe my challenges, how I overcame them, and the lessons that I learned in under 100 words...

First off, you're going to need to change that avatar. Pennywise is not welcome here. A whole lot of nope right there.

On a more serious note, I wholeheartedly agree. Getting things < 100 words was pretty difficult.

Reactions: 2 users
I got the secondary a little while ago. Just checking: Is Essay #1 referring specifically to application or generally to the whole premed process (I wrote about a challenge upon entering undergrad), and does Essay #2 want "how (multi)cultured I am" or "how am I different from the norm"? I went with the latter, citing mostly experiences where I interacted with different people (along with one sentence about my crafting versatility that I could rework into a "desire to learn" statement), but other (admittedly non-medschool-related) advisors really want me to push racial diversity more.

Accepted and matriculating this year. AMA.
Would you or another RFU admit/grad be willing to read my secondary and give me feedback?

Submitted. Good luck, everyone!

I am kind of struggling with how to answer the first prompt. I already wrote the disadvantaged essay for AMCAS, and don't want to sound repetitive. Anyone in a similar situation have any advice?

I got the secondary a little while ago. Just checking: Is Essay #1 referring specifically to application or generally to the whole premed process (I wrote about a challenge upon entering undergrad), and does Essay #2 want "how (multi)cultured I am" or "how am I different from the norm"? I went with the latter, citing mostly experiences where I interacted with different people (along with one sentence about my crafting versatility that I could rework into a "desire to learn" statement), but other (admittedly non-medschool-related) advisors really want me to push racial diversity more.

Would you or another RFU admit/grad be willing to read my secondary and give me feedback?
Sure PM me. I also went with the latter and wrote about the experience that I've gained from living in a multicultural community.

I am kind of struggling with how to answer the first prompt. I already wrote the disadvantaged essay for AMCAS, and don't want to sound repetitive. Anyone in a similar situation have any advice?

I'm in a similar situation, and to be honest I don't really know how else I can spin my story besides what I outlined in the AMCAS primary. Would be interested to see if anyone has thoughts on this.

There is no way I can fit my adversity story into 100 words. I was thinking about talking about how my poor grades in my first three years have limited my ability to apply to schools in Canada, despite achieving a 4.0 in the following three years. Would this work?

Anyone know if CASPer is required to be complete? Others in the pre-med forum say it is required, but all I've found on the RF website is that applicants need to take it, not necessarily that it's required or completion.

Last edited:
Submitted (minis CASPer), hope to meet you all in the coming months at interviews.

Why are people saying that 100 is the max for these secondaries? I just opened mine and it says 150 words or fewer

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 3.54.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 3.54.21 PM.png
    208.1 KB · Views: 115
There is no way I can fit my adversity story into 100 words. I was thinking about talking about how my poor grades in my first three years have limited my ability to apply to schools in Canada, despite achieving a 4.0 in the following three years. Would this work?
If you make it sound like Canada is/was your first choice, adcoms will ensure that you will remain in Canada. No one wants to read that you only applied because you couldn't do better.

Why are people saying that 100 is the max for these secondaries? I just opened mine and it says 150 words or fewer

Wtf...I'm 100% certain that when I completed my secondary (yesterday), the word limit was 100. Looks like they recently changed the limit.

Wtf...I'm 100% certain that when I completed my secondary (yesterday), the word limit was 100. Looks like they recently changed the limit.

Wat yeah mine was definitely 100w too, I saved the responses can confirm

Hopefully they'll take this into account

If you make it sound like Canada is/was your first choice, adcoms will ensure that you will remain in Canada. No one wants to read that you only applied because you couldn't do better.
So you're saying if I write that Adcoms will make sure I'm accepted instead of waitlisted at the University of Ottawa next year?

WTF. You're so right. I was spending FOREVER last night trying to get the stupid paragraphs down to 100 words. I feel so betrayed, haha.

WTF. You're so right. I was spending FOREVER last night trying to get the stupid paragraphs down to 100 words. I feel so betrayed, haha.
I'm unreasonably upset by this lol.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm unreasonably upset by this lol.
I agree. 100 characters was insanely difficult. Oh well, there's nothing that can be done about it now. What's the saying? Brevity is the soul of wit?

That's not great. If getting poor grades and not being able to apple in Canada is the only adversity you've ever faced, you haven't overcome anything. You've never had a conflict with a coworker, a task you found hard to complete, or a significant obstacle? Think more broadly than the application process.

I'm a rising M2 if you have any questions.

Hey guys, I just called RF's admissions office about the first essay. In case anyone else is curious, the question is referring to overall challenges/adversity, not challenges related specifically to the application process. Hope this helps!

I also messaged admissions about your questions regarding the word count and also the new secondary question.

That's not great. If getting poor grades and not being able to apple in Canada is the only adversity you've ever faced, you haven't overcome anything. You've never had a conflict with a coworker, a task you found hard to complete, or a significant obstacle? Think more broadly than the application process.

I have a 4.0 in my past three years. I don't have poor grades, it's just my first years were so poor that I can't hit the cutoffs to apply to Canadian schools. US schools look at things holistically, and so they can see the other parts of me before accepting/rejecting me.

Now that we have 50 more words, I can fit my usual adversity essay in. I don't think a conflict with a coworker would be a challenge to applying to medical school (I know there would be some specific situations, but generally speaking), although it sure would be a challenge someone faced during the time preceding medical school applications.

I have a 4.0 in my past three years. I don't have poor grades, it's just my first years were so poor that I can't hit the cutoffs to apply to Canadian schools. US schools look at things holistically, and so they can see the other parts of me before accepting/rejecting me.

Now that we have 50 more words, I can fit my usual adversity essay in. I don't think a conflict with a coworker would be a challenge to applying to medical school (I know there would be some specific situations, but generally speaking), although it sure would be a challenge someone faced during the time preceding medical school applications.

It's still probably not wise to say outright that you are only applying to RFU because you couldn't apply to Canadian schools... acknowledge your poor grades but focus on the positive aspects of your upward trend.

Those who got a second secondary already, did you write your casper a while ago and have already submitted your scores to the school? Have most people here already done their casper? I didn't know about it till I got the secondary! eek

Those who got a second secondary already, did you write your casper a while ago and have already submitted your scores to the school? Have most people here already done their casper? I didn't know about it till I got the secondary! eek

Most people probably haven't taken their CASPer test. The next one is on Sunday (7/9), which is when a lot will probably be taking it.

Most people probably haven't taken their CASPer test. The next one is on Sunday (7/9), which is when a lot will probably be taking it.

Yep, that's the day I signed up for! Hoping the wait time for the scores to come in doesn't delay my app too much :/ Will you be submitting your essay portion of the secondary soon anyway?

I was out of the country for the first CASPer test date so I'm taking the 7/9 date. I've already submitted the secondary however.. before they changed the word limit :/

Hey guys, I am a current applicant with a 3.58 Overall 3.42 Science with a lot of extracurriculars and such. My parents were Religiously Persecuted in Russia and escaped to the US. Today I found out I got a 501 :( so sad and Im wondering If I should apply to CMS. It is my dream school I live very close to campus. The one thing I got going for me was that my brother went there and I can put that on my secondary. Im not sure if I want to spend the $125 to apply because I think I have zero shot. What do you guys think?

Hey guys, I am a current applicant with a 3.58 Overall 3.42 Science with a lot of extracurriculars and such. My parents were Religiously Persecuted in Russia and escaped to the US. Today I found out I got a 501 :( so sad and Im wondering If I should apply to CMS. It is my dream school I live very close to campus. The one thing I got going for me was that my brother went there and I can put that on my secondary. Im not sure if I want to spend the $125 to apply because I think I have zero shot. What do you guys think?

I have the same back story - my parents also came to the US from Soviet Union. Your GPAs are not that bad. You could try to apply- you never know what could happen. But, is there any chance you could re-take the MCAT for this cycle? Could you identify any main issues you had with the test and grind hard to improve your score?

Yep, that's the day I signed up for! Hoping the wait time for the scores to come in doesn't delay my app too much :/ Will you be submitting your essay portion of the secondary soon anyway?

I submitted a couple of days ago (before the word limit change). I have no idea what to expect with how long it takes to score our tests, but everyone will be in the same boat.

IMO, having solid extracurricular is not enough to tip the scale in your favor. Check MSAR for the MCAT median score. I believe it's 512 but I no longer have access to MSAR. With your current stats, you have a decent shot at DO schools, but not MD.

There are also many stellar appllicants who are refugees, so the persecution of your parents won't be much help.

Edit: Save the application fee and apply it towards retaking the MCAT.

I think you missed the point here. The point is not me saying that you got bad grades. The point is that the essay you proposed is a poor choice. A significant and lasting conflict with a coworker that you dealt with is adversity, while only being able to apply to medical school in the United States is still a point of privilege and not adversity when compared to pretty much any other struggle in life since you could just choose another career if you weren't interested enough in this career path.

I would uniformly recommend against writing about anything directly related to medical school applications in this essay.