2017-2018 Rosalind Franklin University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you are overestimating how many people apply to medical school whose parents are immigrants and never went to college...

I never mentioned the "never went to college" part. I went to school on the west coast (large Asian population), where there's a lot of second generations, whose parents went to college in their respective foreign country or went to school here. But, this is purely personal anecdotal evidence, and my personal experiences are probably different from different parts of America.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are overestimating how many people apply to medical school whose parents are immigrants and never went to college...
You mean underestimating. During my first application cycle, I also used the immigrant card and everyone saw through the BS. Adcoms can see if you are a 1st generation college graduate or if your parents obtained a degree through the primary application questionnaire; thus, there is no need to waste everyone's time with this essay. Also, these immigrantion adversity essays are overused and don't help you stand out. The only times this essay topic is meaningful is if you recently immigrated here and faced a substantial language barrier (English is not your first language) or a cultural barrier.

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean underestimating. During my first application cycle, I also used the immigrant card and everyone saw through the BS. Adcoms can see if you are a 1st generation college graduate or if your parents obtained a degree through the primary application questionnaire; thus, there is no need to waste everyone's time with this essay. Also, these immigrantion adversity essays are overused and don't help you stand out. The only times this essay topic is meaningful is if you recently immigrated here and faced a substantial language barrier (English is not your first language) or a cultural barrier.

Except your parents being immigrants and not receiving a higher education will undoubtedly play a role in a student's development and what sort of perspective they can bring to a class (i.e diversity). Like I said, I believe you're overestimating. Unless you're insinuating that a large majority of medical school applicants fall under that very specific umbrella. Which according to most statistics is incorrect. Diversity and Inclusion - Initiatives - AAMC

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary Received and Submitted 7/1/17.
CASPer taken 7/9/17.

Too bad it takes 3-6 weeks for scores to arrive plus processing time -__-
when your application was verified. My daughter application verified on Jul 20. No secondary yet. Mcat is 506.

when your application was verified. My daughter application verified on Jul 20. No secondary yet. Mcat is 506.

I encourage you to have your daughter to have an SDN account. It is better if she gets this information directly

Reactions: 1 users
my daughter have not received secondary yet. verified on July 20
If she was only verified a few days ago then it's best to be patient. If she still doesn't receive one within the next week then you can call the university; I'm fairly certain all applicants receive a secondary so they'll probably just forward her one.

has anyone gotten a complete email yet? Or do you think they have to get CASPer score first?

Taking the CASPer today. Hope that it's not too late. . . Oh well

Members don't see this ad :)
would self-doubt be a bad "challenge" to discuss in the essay? :confused: if the narrative was having self-doubt which eventually lead to clarity and decisiveness in entering the medical profession

would self-doubt be a bad "challenge" to discuss in the essay? :confused: if the narrative was having self-doubt which eventually lead to clarity and decisiveness in entering the medical profession

It depends what caused the doubt and how you got over it. If you're gonna say "my classes were hard and I just didn't believe in myself" that's a bad essay. If you're gonna say "I had to work 30-40 hours a week while volunteering, doing research and maintaining a high gpa in all science classes.. I felt like I couldn't keep up and after my uncle died suddenly, I questioned everything." That sounds a bit better. I wouldn't write an essay about doubting yourself Unless there were some crazy circumstances because it makes you seem weak.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1. For these essays, have we arrived at consensus if they are 100 words vs 150?
2. For the adversity essay, I could go 3 different routes:
a) MCAT CARS improvement after 3 attempts. English is my 1st language so no excuses here.
b) Starting my own business, failing, but eventually generating 6 figures in sales.
c) Research project that failed at first but ended up resulting in 1st author publication after persisting (seems like a 1st world problem to me lol).
Which of these is most appropriate? I am leaning more towards MCAT because I already mentioned b and c on the AMCAS activities section. Thanks! :)

a) MCAT CARS improvement after 3 attempts. English is my 1st language so no excuses here.
b) Starting my own business, failing, but eventually generating 6 figures in sales.
c) Research project that failed at first but ended up resulting in 1st author publication after persisting (seems like a 1st world problem to me lol).
Which of these is most appropriate? I am leaning more towards MCAT because I already mentioned b and c on the AMCAS activities section. Thanks! :)

When I submitted mine it was 150.

I'd say B if you hadn't already discussed it. A will be apparent to them, and honestly seems a little light for an adversity essay anyway. C is good but still academic which I think is usually not what they are looking for. Have you had any unique challenges in your life outside of school/MCAT besides your business endeavor?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd say B if you hadn't already discussed it. A will be apparent to them, and honestly seems a little light for an adversity essay anyway. C is good but still academic which I think is usually not what they are looking for. Have you had any unique challenges in your life outside of school/MCAT besides your business endeavor?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hey Chaos,
Thanks for your reply.
I did had one significant challenge involving a family member but this is already very apparent in my personal statement. Should I elaborate on that or my business endeavor?

Last edited:
Anyone who completed CASPer on 7/26 get a complete email yet? I have not received one and submitted secondary on 7/12 with all letters.

Anyone who completed CASPer on 7/26 get a complete email yet? I have not received one and submitted secondary on 7/12 with all letters.
Scores take about a month to get to the schools

Has anyone gotten a complete email at all? I took 7/9 CASPer and submitted everything else in about 3 weeks ago.

If you submitted your application while the essay limit was still at 100 words, definitely contact Admissions about it!

Took Casper 6/28 and submitted app around 7/6. No email

PSA: I applied to RFU last year and they had a notoriously slow turn around time. I submitted on 8/2 and wasn't complete until 10/5, all letters were in at time of submission. I believe processing time for apps submitted in July last cycle was around 2 - 4 weeks: depending how lucky you were. Given the addition of Casper - there can be longer wait times this year.

If you submitted your application while the essay limit was still at 100 words, definitely contact Admissions about it!

Why? What do they do? Resubmitting would put me quite behind considering I submitted quite early.

Why? What do they do? Resubmitting would put me quite behind considering I submitted quite early.

I'm not sure since I'm a current student, but I would contact them to see what options you have if you feel like you could have made more use of the higher word limit.

PSA: I applied to RFU last year and they had a notoriously slow turn around time. I submitted on 8/2 and wasn't complete until 10/5, all letters were in at time of submission. I believe processing time for apps submitted in July last cycle was around 2 - 4 weeks: depending how lucky you were. Given the addition of Casper - there can be longer wait times this year.
I agree that the turn around for most applicants was much slower than what they said it will be, but this was not the case for all of the applicants. I was complete on the 8/1, got the complete email on 8/23, and received an II on 8/28.

Rosie where's my complete status -.- (did Casper 7/9)

Looks like all us July 9th casper takers finally have our scores sent. Hadn't heard anything from CMS in so long and was so paranoid I almost second guessed if I actually submitted or not lol

I took the Casper 6/28 and just got it too. I am guessing they just got the first group processed. I was getting stressed as I hate to leave these apps open without completion verification.

Took casper 7/9 and submitted the secondary on 7/8 and haven't gotten a complete email :(

Is anyone else really curious how they did on the Casper/ low key mad you never get to see your scores?

Reactions: 6 users