2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
from your interview experiences - did you have to explain any low grades/low MCAT scores to your interviewers?
MCAT never, grades sometimes. I'm a non-trad and had a poor undergrad which I repaired, but they asked why it was not strong. Have an explanation if thats the case but the majority of the time if you have an interview it wasn't as big of a concern because they are interested in you. The interview is not about stats typically its about getting to know the applicant

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
from your interview experiences - did you have to explain any low grades/low MCAT scores to your interviewers?
I had to explain my unbalanced MCAT score during my interview and was asked if I would be able to handle the curriculum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

I had to explain my unbalanced MCAT score during my interview and was asked if I would be able to handle the curriculum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile
if you don't mind me asking, how unbalanced was it? I'm kind of worried of how to explain my own unbalanced MCAT score. My highest score is a 506 (129/123/124/130). I was a Bio major with a 3.8 undergrad GPA so I think the 124 hurts me as well and may even raise concerns of my undergrad curriculum? I struggle with research design passages/questions. I was never really involved in research and I think that's what hurt me. I don't think that's a valid reason, but that's what I think was the issue. As for the 123 in CARs, I've always struggled with reading standardized tests growing up. I'd do like average even on the SATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you don't mind me asking, how unbalanced was it? I'm kind of worried of how to explain my own unbalanced MCAT score. My highest score is a 506 (129/123/124/130). I was a Bio major with a 3.8 undergrad GPA so I think the 124 hurts me as well and may even raise concerns of my undergrad curriculum? I struggle with research design passages/questions. I was never really involved in research and I think that's what hurt me. I don't think that's a valid reason, but that's what I think was the issue. As for the 123 in CARs, I've always struggled with reading standardized tests growing up. I'd do like average even on the SATs.

With a 506 and a relatively high GPA, I wouldn't be concerned at all with them asking anything about your score. Especially considering you're not far from the median score for any section. You're worrying yourself for nothing in my opinion. Since you asked though, I'd just bring attention to your ability to do well in the other areas. Meaning, clearly you're capable of doing well with biological sciences as your GPA clearly reflects that and you were able to do well in other, unfamiliar areas, despite what your undergrad was focused on.

When I toured, they made a big deal about how they offer tutoring in all subjects, for free. (Well, included in tuition.) If they question your academic qualifications and/or MCAT, I suggest saying you'd take advantage of the tutoring if you start to feel like you're struggling. Shows maturity that you're not afraid to accept help, and know your limits. It's something that's Rowan specifically sounded very proud to have available.

(Side note: The upperclassmen tutors get paid $17/hour so sounds like a great side gig if you're able to ace your basic science courses)

Reactions: 1 users
Haha dude youre fine with those stats. As long as you have all the other stuff (ECs, leadership, clinical experience etc)

anyone from 9/28 or 10/5 get an acceptance call yet today?

Anyone who interviewed here heard anything yet? or know when to expect to hear?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it confirmed that they always come on Fridays? So if I don't get a call tonight, I should be worried?

My interviewers forgot to call me all together, I had to call to find out.

If you're worried about having not heard anything, call and ask. I did it on a weekly/biweekly basis last year. They don't mind, they understand how hard the process is on us and they're always more than willing to answer our questions. Worst case scenario, you're expressing an undying interest in the school and their program. It NEVER hurts to call and ask.

Reactions: 2 users
Just received my acceptance call while taking a nap. Best alarm clock ever.

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted!! Just got the call about an hour ago and missed it!!! Interviewed 9/27

Reactions: 4 users
As I was putting on clothes after a deep tissue massage, I got the called. Accepted, 9/27 I think.

Guess I got rejected/waitlisted
This really hurts :(

Accepted too! I was talking a walk and missed the call, but STOKED when I came home. Best. Weekend. Present. Ever.

9/28 interview, but no call for me. Someone interviewed on 10/5 got one though so

Don't stress yourself out. Like people said above, sometimes they don't get around to everyone in one day. You may be waiting to her from your interviewer(s) and not Dean Watkins. Give yourself until Tuesday and then call and inquire about the status of your interview.

When I toured, they made a big deal about how they offer tutoring in all subjects, for free. (Well, included in tuition.) If they question your academic qualifications and/or MCAT, I suggest saying you'd take advantage of the tutoring if you start to feel like you're struggling. Shows maturity that you're not afraid to accept help, and know your limits. It's something that's Rowan specifically sounded very proud to have available.

(Side note: The upperclassmen tutors get paid $17/hour so sounds like a great side gig if you're able to ace your basic science courses)

With a 506 and a relatively high GPA, I wouldn't be concerned at all with them asking anything about your score. Especially considering you're not far from the median score for any section. You're worrying yourself for nothing in my opinion. Since you asked though, I'd just bring attention to your ability to do well in the other areas. Meaning, clearly you're capable of doing well with biological sciences as your GPA clearly reflects that and you were able to do well in other, unfamiliar areas, despite what your undergrad was focused on.

Haha dude youre fine with those stats. As long as you have all the other stuff (ECs, leadership, clinical experience etc)

Thank you for the advice guys!! I'm more relaxed about it now lol I'll definitely bring up utilizing their resources if it is brought up whether or not I can handle the curriculum! thanks for your helpful input!!

9/28 interview, but no call for me. Someone interviewed on 10/5 got one though so
I'm in the same boat as you sadly :( I'm going to call on Monday to see what's up. I really thought my interview went well too

First post. Just got my acceptance call today while I was on my break :D Truly ecstatic!!!!!

Interviewed 10/5. Call came from Jeannine, the Program Assistant in Admissions. The person who interviewed me is away overseas and couldn't call me himself.

Last edited:
OMG I just got the call!!! I didn't think I would get it on a Saturday morning but I really don't care lol. I literally didn't know what to say on the phone but I'm so happy

Reactions: 6 users
OMG I just got the call!!! I didn't think I would get it on a Saturday morning but I really don't care lol. I literally didn't know what to say on the phone but I'm so happy
Yaaasss

congratulations!
were you ED?

I interviewed on 9/23 and was accepted on 10/6, but unfortunately couldn't actually go on the tour after the interview. Can anyone comment on the school's facilities for the students?

Got the phone call today!!!! This is a dream come true. Interviewed 10/5. Almost cried!!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know how long it takes to get the acceptance package?

Does Rowan do silent rejections, even after interviews?

Does Rowan do silent rejections, even after interviews?
After interviews, I am almost positive they do not. You either get the call if you are accepted, or you get rejected or WL via snail mail. It's way more common to get WL post-interview than flat out rejected imo unless you absolutely tanked your interview haha

How did you guys figure out the contact info of your interviewers to write a thank you note? Interview coming up soon and I just wanted to be prepared!

How did you guys figure out the contact info of your interviewers to write a thank you note? Interview coming up soon and I just wanted to be prepared!
Just ask the admissions staff they are very friendly and can provide you with the emails of your interviewers. You can also find the names of everyone and write handwrittens to each person and then mail it to the admissions office all in one envelope