2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can any current students comment on the pre-matriculation program called operation success? Please DM me if you attended it, as well as your experience with it. Thank you!
I have not heard of this. Seems to be a pre-matriculation summer program. Is it open to all matriculating students? I think I'd rather try to enjoy my summer, though.
 
Can any current students confirm or deny the ability of OOS to re-evaluate their residency after the first year of school at Downstate to receive in-state tuition? I am basing this on previous anecdotal evidence I found.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can any current students confirm or deny the ability of OOS to re-evaluate their residency after the first year of school at Downstate to receive in-state tuition? I am basing this on previous anecdotal evidence I found.
The dean confirmed on my interview date that OOS pay OOS tuition for just the first year.
 
Can any current students confirm or deny the ability of OOS to re-evaluate their residency after the first year of school at Downstate to receive in-state tuition? I am basing this on previous anecdotal evidence I found.
Yep that's what I did - keep utility receipts, copy of lease & receipts for monthly payments (so you can't live in the dorms btw), change your license, and you should be good to go. They have a deadline when you're supposed to have been there for 1 year, but for me I think the deadline was July 24 and my lease didn't start til Aug 1, but they were fine with it and gave me IS tuition for MS2+.
 
Interviewed Feb 23rd. Peer-to-Peer interview March 25th. Anyone have an idea when I might hear back? Another 4 weeks?
 
Interviewed Feb 23rd. Peer-to-Peer interview March 25th. Anyone have an idea when I might hear back? Another 4 weeks?
I would think by mid April, after sort of looking at last year's thread. How long after your interview were you notified of your peer2peer interview?
 
I would think by mid April, after sort of looking at last year's thread. How long after your interview were you notified of your peer2peer interview?
That sounds reasonable. Thanks! And I got an email from the M1 on Saturday (3/24) and scheduled the peer-to-peer for Sunday (3/25). It was almost exactly 4 weeks after my interview. I had to make a Skype account just for that lol because he said he preferred doing it over Skype but there was an option to do it over the phone too. It was really chill. He had some questions admissions told him to ask me then I just asked a bunch of questions and we chatted for a bit.
 
did people email thank you's to interviewers directly or did they just send one to general admissions? thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone gotten an HFS without having a P2P interview yet? Been waiting for one since my interview in January.
 
Has anyone gotten an HFS without having a P2P interview yet? Been waiting for one since my interview in January.

I would call admissions and ask them about your P2P. I remember them saying to call and let them know if a month goes by without a student contacting you for the P2P
 
I would call admissions and ask them about your P2P. I remember them saying to call and let them know if a month goes by without a student contacting you for the P2P
I've sent 2 emails since then and I've gotten the same generic response that a student would reach out to me soon and that there's no specific time frame due to the large volume of applicants. I'll give them a call but I don't expect a different response. Just wish there was a little more transparency in the process. :/
 
I've sent 2 emails since then and I've gotten the same generic response that a student would reach out to me soon and that there's no specific time frame due to the large volume of applicants. I'll give them a call but I don't expect a different response. Just wish there was a little more transparency in the process. :/
I waited almost 4 months for my P2P and contacted them multiple times during the process. Unfortunately, the generic responses will not change. Hang in there!
 
Where do students do their third/fourth year rotations?
Primarily at SUNY Downstate & Kings County, with some rotations elsewhere (Lenox Hill, Staten Island, Maimonides, Lutheran, probably others that I'm forgetting).
 
Primarily at SUNY Downstate & Kings County, with some rotations elsewhere (Lenox Hill, Staten Island, Maimonides, Lutheran, probably others that I'm forgetting).

Thank you. Are you required to do the "away" rotations? And how long are they?
 
Thank you. Are you required to do the "away" rotations? And how long are they?
There's a lottery for 3rd year sites, you rank your preferences & they assign people based on those. If you're assigned an away site, yes, you have to go there, unless you can find someone willing to swap. They're 4-6 weeks, as are all our rotations (sometimes grouped, like surgery is 8 weeks - 4 weeks gen surg, 4 weeks subspecialty - but only 4 weeks at a site at a time).
Some of the far away ones suck, especially without a car, but you survive - I wasn't a fan of going far away for surgery, but I managed.
 
There's a lottery for 3rd year sites, you rank your preferences & they assign people based on those. If you're assigned an away site, yes, you have to go there, unless you can find someone willing to swap. They're 4-6 weeks, as are all our rotations (sometimes grouped, like surgery is 8 weeks - 4 weeks gen surg, 4 weeks subspecialty - but only 4 weeks at a site at a time).
Some of the far away ones suck, especially without a car, but you survive - I wasn't a fan of going far away for surgery, but I managed.
Very informative, thank you once again 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could anyone here speak about the diversity of SUNY Downstate? or what steps are being taken to ensure a positive and supportive environment for all students?
 
I am interviewing next Monday, April 9th and I will be driving to upstate NY with my girlfriend directly after. Is there somewhere nearby that she can wait and study while I interview? Are there any libraries on campus that are open to the public? Or a starbucks or coffee shop nearby?
 
I am interviewing next Monday, April 9th and I will be driving to upstate NY with my girlfriend directly after. Is there somewhere nearby that she can wait and study while I interview? Are there any libraries on campus that are open to the public? Or a starbucks or coffee shop nearby?
There's a library that's not really open to the public but they might let her in. Otherwise I think Starliner is the closest cafe I know of (with seating - the dunkin by the hospital doesn't have space to sit). There's also the Kings County cafe in the D building across the street that's open to the public and she can sit there as long as she wants without buying anything.
 
i'm just curious, how many hours a day a week are required for lecture/ lab and other mandatory classes?? Basically what I'm asking is, are you allowed to be at home for a lot of things, or are they required?
 
Anybody have any idea when the HFS folks will hear?
I assume that stands for hold for spring. I was a hold for spring after interviewing and was accepted in March, so I think it depends on the individual applicant and they work throughout the cycle as the class takes shape
 
There's a library that's not really open to the public but they might let her in. Otherwise I think Starliner is the closest cafe I know of (with seating - the dunkin by the hospital doesn't have space to sit). There's also the Kings County cafe in the D building across the street that's open to the public and she can sit there as long as she wants without buying anything.
Thank you very much!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm just curious, how many hours a day a week are required for lecture/ lab and other mandatory classes?? Basically what I'm asking is, are you allowed to be at home for a lot of things, or are they required?
It varies, most weeks you don't have to be in every day but it's at least 2 days/week, sometimes 3-4, rarely 5. It really varies a lot by unit though, depending on how much anatomy lab/other small groups you have. Lecture isn't mandatory. I went for most of first year and part of second year, then stopped going, and was only on campus a few hours a day, a few times a week. Def helped that I lived walking distance though. Sorry I can't be more specific, it's been a while for me! Possibly some of the current MS1-2s can chime in.
 
has anyone on the hold for spring consideration list heard any news - wait-list/acceptance lately? Also, does anyone know if they flat out reject people from the Hold for spring consideration list? or just wait-list everyone they don't accept