You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Interviewed early Feb, phone conversation with MS1 late Feb, HFS today...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed mid December, P2P mid March, HFS e-mail received today. Not sure how to feel about this status update.
8
878956
Congrats on proving the naysayers wrong.
Anyone know what the dress code is for Research Day?
Anyone know what the dress code is for Research Day?
Not sure on research day, but I am going casual with some khakis and a button shirt with a spring coat on the other second look day on the friday of that week!
Not sure on research day, but I am going casual with some khakis and a button shirt with a spring coat on the other second look day on the friday of that week!
There is a second look day for downstate? I wasnt aware of that... thought the research day was the second look
Not sure on research day, but I am going casual with some khakis and a button shirt with a spring coat on the other second look day on the friday of that week!
Also wasn’t aware of a second look. Could someone elaborate please?
There is a second look day for downstate? I wasnt aware of that... thought the research day was the second look
Also wasn’t aware of a second look. Could someone elaborate please?
It's not officially called second look, it's an event via the office of diversity I believe. I can't make the research day happening on Wednesday, but this Friday event is also a chance to get a closer look at the school.
It's not officially called second look, it's an event via the office of diversity I believe. I can't make the research day happening on Wednesday, but this Friday event is also a chance to get a closer look at the school.
I see, I knew about the event on Friday from the Diversity office. What does the research day entail on Wednesday?
For anyone that interviewed late March, have you heard from your P2P interviewer? They said 3-4 weeks and I'm wondering if that is the case, we won't here a decision most likely until after traffic day?
For anyone that interviewed late March, have you heard from your P2P interviewer? They said 3-4 weeks and I'm wondering if that is the case, we won't here a decision most likely until after traffic day?
I interviewed late February and just heard from mine; hoping I'll hear a decision before traffic day but it seems like they're only giving out HFS at this point!
is this for accepted students only? can you go to the second look if you are HFS?I see, I knew about the event on Friday from the Diversity office. What does the research day entail on Wednesday?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know if theres a Facebook page yet/what its called?
does anyone know if theres a Facebook page yet/what its called?
Also want to know this!
does anyone know if theres a Facebook page yet/what its called?
Also want to know this!
Log into Facebook | Facebook
Official group
When did you interview?anyone waiting on a peer to peer? or anyone with advice for what to do if we haven't heard from them?
I haven't and I interviewed March 12th. I emailed them this morning but haven't gotten a reply yet.anyone waiting on a peer to peer? or anyone with advice for what to do if we haven't heard from them?
I interviewed mid march as well! Don't remember the exact date, but I got an email that said someone will be contacting me soon! Just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something before freakin out!When did you interview?
Could anyone here speak about the diversity of SUNY Downstate? or what steps are being taken to ensure a positive and supportive environment for all students?
I'm currently in their mph program (which emphasizes immigrant and urban health) and i'm always proud to see how diverse my classes are. brooklyn is truly a melting pot and the majority of people are diverse not just in skin color or race, but in background, culture, and religious beliefs as well. it is very inclusive and since nyc itself is so diverse, most are used to the differences and see them as something that can be learned from and should be respected as integral to the fabric of our society. There are multiple groups on campus fostering all sorts of cultures, and I think it adds to it that the groups are open to not just med students, but to masters, nursing, PT, etc students as well.
Hey guys, I'm applying next cycle and was wondering if anyone here had "comeback" stats and was extended an interview.
For comparison my stats were uGPA < 3.0 with a strong upward trend, MCAT > 520 and a 4.0 in my SMP.
Thanks!
For comparison my stats were uGPA < 3.0 with a strong upward trend, MCAT > 520 and a 4.0 in my SMP.
Thanks!
I kinda have a comeback story. uGPA < 3.0 MCAT 1st try < 500. Now, SMP GPA 3.7, MCAT 2nd try 508. I got 3 interviews and SUNY Downstate was one of them. Was placed on Hold for Spring consideration at Downstate and I was deferred at another school (Drexel University, at least it wasn't a rejection!). I applied pretty late so I think that might've hurt me. Still waiting on the final decisions for those two schools but I'm hopeful!Hey guys, I'm applying next cycle and was wondering if anyone here had "comeback" stats and was extended an interview.
For comparison my stats were uGPA < 3.0 with a strong upward trend, MCAT > 520 and a 4.0 in my SMP.
Thanks!
UGH have been on HFS since end of Nov. and dying to hear. Does anyone know when they starting sending out the bulk of those decisions last year?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
im in the same boat as you. im not hopeful there are even interviews this latePlaced on HFS in Dec. and still pre-II. Kind of surprised I haven't gotten the axe by now this late without an interview. Can anyone else relate? Is there still the tiniest bit of hope left?
I did a revisit last week and there were people interviewing. Not sure if they still are since then though sorryim in the same boat as you. im not hopeful there are even interviews this late
How was the revisit day? I was unable to attend so if you feel comfortable giving a recap and your thoughts post/revisit it would be much appreciated haha
How was the revisit day? I was unable to attend so if you feel comfortable giving a recap and your thoughts post/revisit it would be much appreciated haha
By revisit, I mean I scheduled to shadow a current student in their shadow a student program for accepted students. The info was in one of the emails they sent me after I was accepted. I did not attend a revisit event/day though I was invited to the diversity event last Friday.
I withdrew my acceptance soon after, as I did not feel the school was a good fit for me.
By revisit, I mean I scheduled to shadow a current student in their shadow a student program for accepted students. The info was in one of the emails they sent me after I was accepted. I did not attend a revisit event/day though I was invited to the diversity event last Friday.
I withdrew my acceptance soon after, as I did not feel the school was a good fit for me.
Just curious, what made you feel as though it wasn't a good fit?
D
deleted894622
Have people started being moved from HFS —> Alt list yet?
For anyone freaking out: at this time last year I had no acceptances and was waitlisted at 3 schools. By mid may I had 3 acceptances. Many of my friends at Downstate got off of the waitlist around early May, so I know it may seem hopeless (I had pretty much given up), but it's not over till it's over!
I interviewed in October, was HFS in December, and was accepted in May. It's anxiety-inducing and honestly was one of the worst times of my life, but once you're in a white coat taking your hippocratic oath, you realize it's all worth it
I interviewed in October, was HFS in December, and was accepted in May. It's anxiety-inducing and honestly was one of the worst times of my life, but once you're in a white coat taking your hippocratic oath, you realize it's all worth it
Do hold for spring'ers learn if they are acceptance, rejection, or waitlist on 4/30?
This is SO nice to hear, some positivity during these times is always inspiring. THANKS for sharing!For anyone freaking out: at this time last year I had no acceptances and was waitlisted at 3 schools. By mid may I had 3 acceptances. Many of my friends at Downstate got off of the waitlist around early May, so I know it may seem hopeless (I had pretty much given up), but it's not over till it's over!
I interviewed in October, was HFS in December, and was accepted in May. It's anxiety-inducing and honestly was one of the worst times of my life, but once you're in a white coat taking your hippocratic oath, you realize it's all worth it
Have you tried emailing admissions? I sent them one, and heard back from my peer interviewer not too shortly after, and I was a march interview!Interviewed mid Feb and still waiting for that peer conversation interview email.
I REALLLLLY hope soDo hold for spring'ers learn if they are acceptance, rejection, or waitlist on 4/30?
For anyone freaking out: at this time last year I had no acceptances and was waitlisted at 3 schools. By mid may I had 3 acceptances. Many of my friends at Downstate got off of the waitlist around early May, so I know it may seem hopeless (I had pretty much given up), but it's not over till it's over!
I interviewed in October, was HFS in December, and was accepted in May. It's anxiety-inducing and honestly was one of the worst times of my life, but once you're in a white coat taking your hippocratic oath, you realize it's all worth it
Did you do anything in particular like send in letters of intent or any updates to them? I am in the exact same situation right now and the anxiety is getting to me.
Since many of the remaining decisions depend on exactly how many seats open by/on 4/30, most HFS-ers will probably not hear about acceptance or rejection until shortly after that date -- though probably up through 5/15 for waitlist/alternate list.Do hold for spring'ers learn if they are acceptance, rejection, or waitlist on 4/30?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! Sorry for intruding on here... anybody have info about the MPH program? I applied for the dual MD/MPH program but was only accepted for the MPH program. Would this help me get in if I reapplied this cycle? Would love and appreciate any insight
March interviewer and had P2p 2 weeks ago. Any chance I hear before traffic day?
Interviewed late march, its been 4 weeks and I still havent heard from P2P, emailed the admissions office yesterday but no reply..
Anyone know if Downstate is receptive to letters of intent?
They replied to me recently saying the process may take some time due to a large volume of applicants...honestly its very frustrating at this point since its so close to the April 30th deadline and it seems we won't be hearing decisions for some time...Interviewed late march, its been 4 weeks and I still havent heard from P2P, emailed the admissions office yesterday but no reply..