2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have you tried emailing admissions? I sent them one, and heard back from my peer interviewer not too shortly after, and I was a march interview!
when you emailed admissions, did you just hear from your peer to peer interviewer after or did they respond with a generic email saying the process may take some time first?
 
when you emailed admissions, did you just hear from your peer to peer interviewer after or did they respond with a generic email saying the process may take some time first?
I did get an email back from admiss before my student reached out! i think my student reached out a day or 2 after.
 
They replied to me recently saying the process may take some time due to a large volume of applicants...honestly its very frustrating at this point since its so close to the April 30th deadline and it seems we won't be hearing decisions for some time...
anyone know if hearing after april 30 is normal for SUNY? or should we just assume WL no matter what
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone know if hearing after april 30 is normal for SUNY? or should we just assume WL no matter what
according to last year's thread, some people who interviewed late did not hear until after the 30th. it always differs from year to year though but it seems that will be the case for even more people this year:/
 
I wrote a letter of intent and was accepted within a week. Was it because of the letter? I don't know, but it definitely didn't hurt. As long as you have another MD acceptance, I think it is worth sending the letter.

Same for @theexaminedlife as long you have another MD acceptance

Yes, @breezypremed the dorms are overpriced. They are remodeling at some point, but you can live in a nice apartment with roommates close to campus for $600-800 per person.

Wow! Any insight on any websites that I could check out w/ prices like that? Thanks for the reply!
 
Wow! Any insight on any websites that I could check out w/ prices like that? Thanks for the reply!
Check out the Downstate COM Marketplace group - lots of people looking for roommates/someone to take over their lease.
I'd say those prices are a bit of an exaggeration - I lived in a decent apartment w/ 2 roommates for ~$750/mo, but it wasn't what I'd call "nice." Tolerable, sure, but nothing fancy. For an apartment I'd consider "nice," it's usually gonna be >$1000/mo, still with roommates.
 
Check out the Downstate COM Marketplace group - lots of people looking for roommates/someone to take over their lease.
I'd say those prices are a bit of an exaggeration - I lived in a decent apartment w/ 2 roommates for ~$750/mo, but it wasn't what I'd call "nice." Tolerable, sure, but nothing fancy. For an apartment I'd consider "nice," it's usually gonna be >$1000/mo, still with roommates.
Can you provide the link, please. Thank you!
 
Can you provide the link, please. Thank you!
Log into Facebook | Facebook

I guess it depends on definition of fancy/getting lucky. But I pay under $750 for rent and utilities and my place was newly redone before I moved in. Has the marble countertop, stainless steel appliances, woodfloor thing going on. Nicer than any place I've lived before.

@breezypremed I used the marketplace website too and more students will start to use it around June
Yeah haha that sounds p fancy to me - I've got wood floors and okay appliances but bad counters. And mice. And roaches. Very happy to be leaving NYC personally (though I've loved Downstate itself, just not Brooklyn per se).

ETA - more 1st years will start to use it in June, but lots of graduation 4th years have been posting for people to take over their leases etc. which might be nice.
 
Can anyone comment on living in the residence halls and what their experience was like? Also, is there access to a gym? If not, where is the nearest gym? Thanks!!
 
I wrote a letter of intent and was accepted within a week. Was it because of the letter? I don't know, but it definitely didn't hurt. As long as you have another MD acceptance, I think it is worth sending the letter.

Same for @theexaminedlife as long you have another MD acceptance

Yes, @breezypremed the dorms are overpriced. They are remodeling at some point, but you can live in a nice apartment with roommates close to campus for $600-800 per person.
Thanks! I sent one the first week of April. Still nothing... soo kind of getting discouraged at this point. But, I guess it's still pre traffic day
 
Any March/April interviewees hear anything yet? I am wondering when we should expect to get an idea of whaats happening lol!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know any numbers of how many people they interview, how many are put onto HFS, and when HFS people typically here back?
 
How do students who rotate at the Brooklyn VA manage the commute? Based on Google maps, the hospital's location doesn't look easibly accesible by public transportation (when I enter the neighborhoods around Prospect Park as a starting point).
 
How do students who rotate at the Brooklyn VA manage the commute? Based on Google maps, the hospital's location doesn't look easibly accesible by public transportation (when I enter the neighborhoods around Prospect Park as a starting point).
I lived near Downstate, which is significantly less easy a commute than from near Prospect Park - took 2 different subways to the bus, took me about an hour and a half. From Prospect Park area it should be more like an hour. Or you find a classmate with a car also commuting that month.
 
Hey guys! Sorry for intruding on here... anybody have info about the MPH program? I applied for the dual MD/MPH program but was only accepted for the MPH program. Would this help me get in if I reapplied this cycle? Would love and appreciate any insight

This is what I did. I applied two years ago, and only got into the mph program. I did the mph (and also took some additional courses at brooklyn college to beef up my resume), now I'm in my last semester completing my thesis, and I'm starting medical school at downstate this fall! I think doing the mph is definitely a big plus. It shows you're committed to the school and the area. You make tons of connections through the program, and the professors are really awesome. They're very experienced and the school is truly entrenched in a high need community so it's a great place to learn about public health 🙂. Feel free to pm me for more details.
 
For people who have not yet had their P2P/recieved a decision....do you think if we called they will give us a timeline for when we should hear since tomorrow's the deadline. I'm just nervous the waitlist is going to start to move before we even hear a decision...
 
For people who have not yet had their P2P/recieved a decision....do you think if we called they will give us a timeline for when we should hear since tomorrow's the deadline. I'm just nervous the waitlist is going to start to move before we even hear a decision...

I called and talked to the admissions office this morning. I had my P2P in early April, haven't heard anything since. She said I can expect something within the next 2-3 weeks. I'm assuming they're waiting to see what traffic day does and how that draws the lines between accept/alt list/reject
 
I called and talked to the admissions office this morning. I had my P2P in early April, haven't heard anything since. She said I can expect something within the next 2-3 weeks. I'm assuming they're waiting to see what traffic day does and how that draws the lines between accept/alt list/reject
they told me 4-5 weeks since I haven't had my P2P, which is June....more waiting
 
Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone who interviewed in the las few months (March/ April ) has heard anything, be it a rejection or alternate list?
 
Has anyone been placed directly on the alternate list from after interview? or is it just going to be decided from the HFS pool?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alternate list today. Interviewed 2/16, P2P 4/1, HFS 4/5. IS, LizzyM around 70. Anyone have any thoughts about my chances/alternate list movement? Seems like in previous years there's a fair amount of movement about a week after traffic day.
 
Last edited:
Alternate list today. Interviewed 2/16, P2P 4/1, HFS 4/5. IS, LizzyM around 70. Anyone have any thoughts about my chances/alternate list movement? Hopefully those lucky enough to hold multiple acceptances will start withdrawing!
You had to withdraw multiple acceptances by the 30th of April.
 
what is the difference between alternate list and wait list? are these two the same?
I believe the two are the same. The email said the alternate list is just a list of people who may get a spot in the class if any vacancies appear. That's what a waitlist is too.
 
what is the difference between alternate list and wait list? are these two the same?
It really depends on the school. For some, waitlist = hold for later consideration, meaning they are waiting to make any decision on your application until they have a better picture of what their incoming class looks like. At other schools, waitlist means alternate list - meaning that if enough accepted students decline to matriculate, they may eventually have an open seat and will select an alternate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed in March and just got waitlisted. No HFS. Most likely will not take the offer to be on the waitlist.