You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
In the email confirming that I was placed on the alternate list it says during the summer my clearance status may be one of the considerations in whether I will be considered for an offer of acceptance. What does "clearance status" mean?
I'm also wondering this. Is this FAFSA? Is this the health clearance form? Is there some other form I should have received/filled out?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone's admission is contingent upon completion of clearance. The criteria for clearance is given upon offer of admission and it is noted that failure to fulfill the admissions and health clearance requirements will result in the rescinding of your admissions acceptance to the Fall 2018 entering class.In the email confirming that I was placed on the alternate list it says during the summer my clearance status may be one of the considerations in whether I will be considered for an offer of acceptance. What does "clearance status" mean?
Everyone's admission is contingent upon completion of clearance. The criteria for clearance is given upon offer of admission and it is noted that failure to fulfill the admissions and health clearance requirements will result in the rescinding of your admissions acceptance to the Fall 2018 entering class.
Thanks! so nothing more we can do about this now? Also, would an additional LOR help at this point?
Probably wouldn't hurt. However, at this point, I think they likely already have their alternate list ordered and are just moving down it as seats open in the incoming class.Thanks! so nothing more we can do about this now? Also, would an additional LOR help at this point?
So why is it a factor in considering me for admissions? If the clearance criteria needs to be completed after I am offered a seat, how can it play a role in their decision to offer an acceptance?Everyone's admission is contingent upon completion of clearance. The criteria for clearance is given upon offer of admission and it is noted that failure to fulfill the admissions and health clearance requirements will result in the rescinding of your admissions acceptance to the Fall 2018 entering class.
Because if, after being offered a seat, you do not complete the clearance, your offer of admissions is rescinded.So why is it a factor in considering me for admissions? If the clearance criteria needs to be completed after I am offered a seat, how can it play a role in their decision to offer an acceptance?
I see. Thank you!Because if, after being offered a seat, you do not complete the clearance, your offer of admissions is rescinded.
Still haven't done my P2P interviewed 3/12. Gonna withdraw my application.
Two questions:
1. Is the Alternate List ranked?
2. If so, do you think Downstate would be receptive to phone calls regarding how one stands on it?
1. Is the Alternate List ranked?
2. If so, do you think Downstate would be receptive to phone calls regarding how one stands on it?
Two questions:
1. Is the Alternate List ranked?
2. If so, do you think Downstate would be receptive to phone calls regarding how one stands on it?[/QUOT
"To the Admissions Committee of the College of Medicine" is how I addressed mine.have people been addressing updates to any one in particular, or just to admissions generally
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received this email half an hr ago:
Dear Applicant:
This is an unofficial, preliminary notification that the College of Medicine Admissions Committee has reviewed your application favorably for an acceptance. An official acceptance letter will be sent to your preferred mailing address, which you have listed with AMCAS. This letter will include any conditions for acceptance which may pertain to you.
Attached with this email is a reply form, which must be completed and returned within one week from the date of this acceptance email, in order to reserve your place in our entering class.
We invite you to view our “Accepted Student Resources” website. It is filled with pertinent information regarding financial aid, residency placement, Step 1 performance, and current student perspectives that will confirm or help you decide if Downstate College of Medicine is the right choice for you. The link to the website is:
(link)
If you have listed a preferred mailing address which is the address of someone other than yourself, please alert him or her to the need to forward the packet to you so that you can return the completed reply form within the specified time period. If you are unavailable and have designated a parent or other agent as a substitute, they must return the reply form within the specified time.
If you have decided to attend another medical school or have made alternative plans, please send an email to (their email) and withdraw your application from our active files. This will benefit other applicants.
Thank you again for your interest in SUNY Downstate.
Sincerely,
Dr. Shushawna DeOliveira
Director
Office of Student Admissions
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Why does this say "unofficial, preliminary"? Am I in? What conditions apply to me pending acceptance? I really do not want to get my hopes up just to find out I am actually not in.
Anyone who received an email like this please help!
Dear Applicant:
This is an unofficial, preliminary notification that the College of Medicine Admissions Committee has reviewed your application favorably for an acceptance. An official acceptance letter will be sent to your preferred mailing address, which you have listed with AMCAS. This letter will include any conditions for acceptance which may pertain to you.
Attached with this email is a reply form, which must be completed and returned within one week from the date of this acceptance email, in order to reserve your place in our entering class.
We invite you to view our “Accepted Student Resources” website. It is filled with pertinent information regarding financial aid, residency placement, Step 1 performance, and current student perspectives that will confirm or help you decide if Downstate College of Medicine is the right choice for you. The link to the website is:
(link)
If you have listed a preferred mailing address which is the address of someone other than yourself, please alert him or her to the need to forward the packet to you so that you can return the completed reply form within the specified time period. If you are unavailable and have designated a parent or other agent as a substitute, they must return the reply form within the specified time.
If you have decided to attend another medical school or have made alternative plans, please send an email to (their email) and withdraw your application from our active files. This will benefit other applicants.
Thank you again for your interest in SUNY Downstate.
Sincerely,
Dr. Shushawna DeOliveira
Director
Office of Student Admissions
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Why does this say "unofficial, preliminary"? Am I in? What conditions apply to me pending acceptance? I really do not want to get my hopes up just to find out I am actually not in.
Anyone who received an email like this please help!
This is the acceptance emailReceived this email half an hr ago:
Dear Applicant:
This is an unofficial, preliminary notification that the College of Medicine Admissions Committee has reviewed your application favorably for an acceptance. An official acceptance letter will be sent to your preferred mailing address, which you have listed with AMCAS. This letter will include any conditions for acceptance which may pertain to you.
Attached with this email is a reply form, which must be completed and returned within one week from the date of this acceptance email, in order to reserve your place in our entering class.
We invite you to view our “Accepted Student Resources” website. It is filled with pertinent information regarding financial aid, residency placement, Step 1 performance, and current student perspectives that will confirm or help you decide if Downstate College of Medicine is the right choice for you. The link to the website is:
(link)
If you have listed a preferred mailing address which is the address of someone other than yourself, please alert him or her to the need to forward the packet to you so that you can return the completed reply form within the specified time period. If you are unavailable and have designated a parent or other agent as a substitute, they must return the reply form within the specified time.
If you have decided to attend another medical school or have made alternative plans, please send an email to (their email) and withdraw your application from our active files. This will benefit other applicants.
Thank you again for your interest in SUNY Downstate.
Sincerely,
Dr. Shushawna DeOliveira
Director
Office of Student Admissions
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Why does this say "unofficial, preliminary"? Am I in? What conditions apply to me pending acceptance? I really do not want to get my hopes up just to find out I am actually not in.
Anyone who received an email like this please help!
Conditions usually along the lines of other schools, like if you’re graduating this year and you stated you would receive a Bachelors on your application then they expect that to still be true. It’s unofficial preliminary because it’s not the ‘official’ physical letter in the mail.Received this email half an hr ago:
Dear Applicant:
This is an unofficial, preliminary notification that the College of Medicine Admissions Committee has reviewed your application favorably for an acceptance. An official acceptance letter will be sent to your preferred mailing address, which you have listed with AMCAS. This letter will include any conditions for acceptance which may pertain to you.
Attached with this email is a reply form, which must be completed and returned within one week from the date of this acceptance email, in order to reserve your place in our entering class.
We invite you to view our “Accepted Student Resources” website. It is filled with pertinent information regarding financial aid, residency placement, Step 1 performance, and current student perspectives that will confirm or help you decide if Downstate College of Medicine is the right choice for you. The link to the website is:
(link)
If you have listed a preferred mailing address which is the address of someone other than yourself, please alert him or her to the need to forward the packet to you so that you can return the completed reply form within the specified time period. If you are unavailable and have designated a parent or other agent as a substitute, they must return the reply form within the specified time.
If you have decided to attend another medical school or have made alternative plans, please send an email to (their email) and withdraw your application from our active files. This will benefit other applicants.
Thank you again for your interest in SUNY Downstate.
Sincerely,
Dr. Shushawna DeOliveira
Director
Office of Student Admissions
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Why does this say "unofficial, preliminary"? Am I in? What conditions apply to me pending acceptance? I really do not want to get my hopes up just to find out I am actually not in.
Anyone who received an email like this please help!
Received this email half an hr ago:
Dear Applicant:
This is an unofficial, preliminary notification that the College of Medicine Admissions Committee has reviewed your application favorably for an acceptance. An official acceptance letter will be sent to your preferred mailing address, which you have listed with AMCAS. This letter will include any conditions for acceptance which may pertain to you.
Attached with this email is a reply form, which must be completed and returned within one week from the date of this acceptance email, in order to reserve your place in our entering class.
We invite you to view our “Accepted Student Resources” website. It is filled with pertinent information regarding financial aid, residency placement, Step 1 performance, and current student perspectives that will confirm or help you decide if Downstate College of Medicine is the right choice for you. The link to the website is:
(link)
If you have listed a preferred mailing address which is the address of someone other than yourself, please alert him or her to the need to forward the packet to you so that you can return the completed reply form within the specified time period. If you are unavailable and have designated a parent or other agent as a substitute, they must return the reply form within the specified time.
If you have decided to attend another medical school or have made alternative plans, please send an email to (their email) and withdraw your application from our active files. This will benefit other applicants.
Thank you again for your interest in SUNY Downstate.
Sincerely,
Dr. Shushawna DeOliveira
Director
Office of Student Admissions
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Why does this say "unofficial, preliminary"? Am I in? What conditions apply to me pending acceptance? I really do not want to get my hopes up just to find out I am actually not in.
Anyone who received an email like this please help!
Congrats! when did you interview?
have they stopped doing interviews?
Congrats! when did you interview?
I interviewed on March 7th and I had my P2P chat on April 23rd.
Accepted as well!
congratulations! i was wondering if you could share your interview dates please?Accepted as well!
Received this email half an hr ago:
Dear Applicant:
This is an unofficial, preliminary notification that the College of Medicine Admissions Committee has reviewed your application favorably for an acceptance. An official acceptance letter will be sent to your preferred mailing address, which you have listed with AMCAS. This letter will include any conditions for acceptance which may pertain to you.
Attached with this email is a reply form, which must be completed and returned within one week from the date of this acceptance email, in order to reserve your place in our entering class.
We invite you to view our “Accepted Student Resources” website. It is filled with pertinent information regarding financial aid, residency placement, Step 1 performance, and current student perspectives that will confirm or help you decide if Downstate College of Medicine is the right choice for you. The link to the website is:
(link)
If you have listed a preferred mailing address which is the address of someone other than yourself, please alert him or her to the need to forward the packet to you so that you can return the completed reply form within the specified time period. If you are unavailable and have designated a parent or other agent as a substitute, they must return the reply form within the specified time.
If you have decided to attend another medical school or have made alternative plans, please send an email to (their email) and withdraw your application from our active files. This will benefit other applicants.
Thank you again for your interest in SUNY Downstate.
Sincerely,
Dr. Shushawna DeOliveira
Director
Office of Student Admissions
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Why does this say "unofficial, preliminary"? Am I in? What conditions apply to me pending acceptance? I really do not want to get my hopes up just to find out I am actually not in.
Anyone who received an email like this please help!
Accepted as well!
Congratulations. Were you waitlisted before the acceptance?
Alt listed! hoping for the best !
When did you interview?
in March, no HFS just straight to alt list. P2P around the end of April!When did you interview?
yesIf we haven't heard back yet after our P2P (and have no other offers in hand), do you guys think it would be worthwhile to submit an update letter?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went for my interview early March and had my P2P mid april. Is it a bad sign that others who interviewed after me already received acceptances?
Congratulations. Were you waitlisted before the acceptance?
No, and I interviewed March 8.
Who knows, but it's too nerve-racking to think what it may or may not mean. But look at it this way, perhaps they have reviewed your application and three options remained, reject, waitlist or accept. No "space" has to be made to reject someone, hence that could have been done upon review while the latter two causes an application to stay "in limbo" until space (on the waitlist or incoming class) opens up. So look on the bright side, your space is being made and patience is key. I'm a living testimony! All the best!I went for my interview early March and had my P2P mid april. Is it a bad sign that others who interviewed after me already received acceptances?
Been on HFS since December. Did they forget about me 🙁
When is the latest any current students placed on the alternate list heard back in previous years?
I called again, and they said to expect to hear back by the end of the month
Are you waitlisted or waiting to hear back after interviewing? I interviewed late March and I am still waiting to hear from them
Anyone receive the additional information that they said they'd send after replying to the Alternate List email?
Have you had your P2P yet?Are you waitlisted or waiting to hear back after interviewing? I interviewed late March and I am still waiting to hear from them
is there a priority alternate list at downstate? or just one alternate list
Are you waitlisted or waiting to hear back after interviewing? I interviewed late March and I am still waiting to hear from them
Was waiting to hear back after interviewing. I just got an email for a spot on the Alt list. Interviewed late March.
Just got the Alternate List email. Interviewed late March, P2P early last week.
Is there anyone that could help me with joining the Facebook page? I've been Pending for awhile haha
The email that asked you if you want to be on the Alt list or an email that confirmed you sending the form back?Just got the Alternate List email. Interviewed late March, P2P early last week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Original alternate list email
The email that asked you if you want to be on the Alt list or an email that confirmed you sending the form back?
Is there anyone that could help me with joining the Facebook page? I've been Pending for awhile haha
Oh I dont feel so bad now. Requested like a week ago and still not in the cool kids club.
Have you had your P2P yet?
Yes! Had it early April
Has anyone who interviewed in april heard anyhing yet?
D
deleted894622
Do you guys think writing two update letters/letters of interest is over-doing it? I wrote a letter of interest with an update months ago after being placed on HFS. I haven’t had communication with them since (other than being placed on the alt list), and I don’t want to fall through the cracks or be forgotten — but also don’t want to sound desperate or redundant. Any advice? Thanks!