2021-2022 Geisinger Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AL just now after 3/7 interview

Members don't see this ad.

Also added to the alternate list, interviewed 3/14. Praying for the best :)

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the A!!! First acceptance this cycle, reapplicant, honestly feeling very relieved and grateful

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew from alternate list via the portal, do we have to email them as well or is the portal sufficient?
I believe you have to email them as well. I think I read that they can’t see who it is from if it comes from the portal.

Do they do Rs or just put everyone on the WL?
They basically WL everybody and then later you just get a mass rejection email. Silent rejection basically saying their class is full and you didn't get off the AL. Or at least this is what I've heard from others.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
They basically WL everybody and then later you just get a mass rejection email. Silent rejection basically saying their class is full and you didn't get off the AL. Or at least this is what I've heard from others.

Hmm, I looked on prior year threads and it looks like a few people got Rs by mail.

Google says they interview about 850 for 115 seats... and last year's thread said the waitlist was 380 people. They must be outright rejecting at least some candidates.

Does anyone know why Geisinger is requiring a separate certiphi background check in addition to the AAMC Certiphi background check? Seems redundant. Also, I’m lazy and don’t want to enter 20 years of addresses again.

Yes, does anyone know if we have to do this twice? It's the exact same questions/form. It's $55 lol

Does anyone have additional info on this?

Withdrew today from alt list - best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Do we think people will start to come off the waitlist on Monday 5/2? I got ants in my pants, trying to secure that A

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance; here's to hoping for a large-scale WL movement next week!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Can any current students talk about their experiences with clinical stuff and research. Notably, do you find yourself having to travel far for these things in pre clinical years? And are they easy to come by?

And is there any sort of preference indication or input for your rotation site for phase II? I know it is assigned before classes start so you know ahead of time. Just struggling with the idea of getting placed in a super remote site and having to move somewhere isolated and or commute crazy distances for that stuff. Thanks!

Withdrew my A. Hope one of you lovely people get it! Good luck!!

Can any current students talk about their experiences with clinical stuff and research. Notably, do you find yourself having to travel far for these things in pre clinical years? And are they easy to come by?

And is there any sort of preference indication or input for your rotation site for phase II? I know it is assigned before classes start so you know ahead of time. Just struggling with the idea of getting placed in a super remote site and having to move somewhere isolated and or commute crazy distances for that stuff. Thanks!
I heard you get to state preference, and even after the "lottery", you are able to switch with others if you both are okay with it

Does anyone know if we can submit additional LORs to Geisinger? Im on the alternate list and the doctor I work for wants to write a letter for me since I started the job after my interview/primary

Does anyone know if we can submit additional LORs to Geisinger? Im on the alternate list and the doctor I work for wants to write a letter for me since I started the job after my interview/primary
My friend on the waitlist last year was able to do this. It did count as one of his two updates to the school though

I was able to send an additional LOR to Geisinger through AMCAS, and it was automatically added to my file. I did so after submitting my two updates.

Withdrew my A here a few days ago, and hoping it goes to one of you still waiting for an A. Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know Geisinger's PTE protocol/requirements?
If I PTE today at another school, does it automatically withdraw my A from Geisinger? Or do I have to email them and let them know? TY

If I PTE today at another school, does it automatically withdraw my A from Geisinger? Or do I have to email them and let them know? TY
It does not automatically withdraw your app, I would email them.

What is the waitlist for this school like? Unranked? How does it work? If someone interviews earlier, does that mean they're accepted off the WL sooner? Or is it ranked based on the interview performance rubric?

Per an email from admissions:
"All accepted students must at least "plan to enroll" at Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine by this date.

-21 Days prior to matriculation: Students must commit to enroll at their intended institution."

Does anyone know if it will be a call or an email to get taken off the alternate list?

I don’t know if I was ever on the alternate list but my original decision was “deferred” until a later committee meeting. I got an email the following month with an A.

Deferred = WL here?

I JUST GOT AN ACCEPTANCE CALL!! Was placed on the alternate on 4/11

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 16 users
I got the acceptance call around 1:15 PM. Interviewed 9/15. Deferral the following month. LOI in December. Second update was last Tuesday. Started and ended my medical school cycle with Geisinger!

I got the acceptance call around 1:15 PM. Interviewed 9/15. Deferral the following month. LOI in December. Second update was last Tuesday. Started and ended my medical school cycle with Geisinger!

Congrats!!

Accepted off the waitlist! Interviewed December, deferred January, waitlisted April. LM 69

Probably going to withdraw for another A I got this week. Hopefully it goes to one of you fine folks. I was holding four waitlists this time Monday. Don’t give up hope!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the waitlist! Interviewed December, deferred January, waitlisted April. LM 69

Probably going to withdraw for another A I got this week. Hopefully it goes to one of you fine folks. I was holding four waitlists this time Monday. Don’t give up hope!
Did you write any letters?

congrats! now we know they won't just call on Wednesdays assuming they called you today!

Did you write any letters?
Nope. I remember them asking us not to send updates. They said they make all decisions based on the interview day if I recall correctly.

Edit - I was thinking of another school. Yes, I did send an update letter.

Last edited:
Withdrew my A today. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
do they only call (or do they also email) if you are accepted off the waitlist? my phone broke so i wouldnt be able to pick up.

also, after receiving the msg i am on the waitlist, there is nothing else i need to do but wait for another msg, correct? (i dont need to do anything specific to express my continued interest on the geisinger portal or amcas portal?)

ty for the help!

Last edited:
do they only call (or do they also email) if you are accepted off the waitlist? my phone broke so i wouldnt be able to pick up.

also, after receiving the msg i am on the waitlist, there is nothing else i need to do but wait for another msg, correct? (i dont need to do anything specific to express my continued interest on the geisinger portal or amcas portal?)

ty for the help!
I would fix the phone quick. I got the call but no email or anything before telling Dr. Schmude I was interested over the phone.

I didn’t have to do anything further to express interest once I was on the waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an acceptance call off waitlist. My first acceptance from 4 waitlists, hoping for all of you

Reactions: 11 users
Just got an acceptance call off waitlist. My first acceptance from 4 waitlists, hoping for all of you
I'm manifesting this energy! Sitting on a few waitlists and just waiting on a call too! Wish you luck!

Reactions: 7 users

Hi! I’m an M1 at GCSOM. They have changed the process a little bit for this incoming class and are going to do your placements during orientation (ours were this spring). We got to vote whether we wanted a random lottery or ranked lottery and ended up with a ranked lottery. My guess is that yours will just be random but you are able to switch with people and generally majority ends up where they want to be. you’re also able to submit a form for extenuating circumstance that requires you to be at a certain campus. Hope that was helpful!