2021-2022 Geisinger Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how the recruitment day works? Do they send a zoom link the day of ? Much thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where someone can send a new letter of rec? or should it go through AMCAS? I know for some other schools it was through an email but wasn't sure if that is how Geisinger wanted it

Members don't see this ad :)
It is more PBL. They just updated their curriculum and said that they will give lecture recordings for the week ahead of time, and give the Monday before the week off to listen to them, and then the "classes" during the week will be active learning activities to reinforce concepts. Personally, that is a far better use of "in-person" time. They did assure us they will make sure that the volume of lecture content is more than manageable so we aren't overloaded.
Thank you!

I interviewed on January 24th. Do you think it's possible to hear back in February? Seems like decisions come out about halfway through the month.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if GCSOM provides us with a laptop or if I should get a new one before starting?

Does anyone know if GCSOM provides us with a laptop or if I should get a new one before starting?
If keeping in line with the current trend, you'll get one to use (and take exams on etc). I know many people have their own they use too, but current ones are Dell touchscreens.

Do we think some decisions will come out next week?
I don’t know, I think last years was Mar 2 and the year before that was Feb 21–deviating from the previous months’ ~day 15

• Hmm
How many interviews do you guys think were conducted/will be conducted in Feb and March?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this was already asked, but does Geisinger accept Letters of Interest/intent?

they do, but I believe it would still count towards your "2 update letters limit"
In my experience, they are also very communicative and quick in adding it to your file! When I sent mine early morning, I received a response that it was added to my file that same morning. Any update would count towards your two-letter limit, and they also require you send it as a PDF. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
If you were accepted to the Abigail Geisinger's Primary Care Scholarship and accepted it within the two week deadline but now would rather pursue the regular MD here is that possible? Or am I only allowed to pursue the Primary Care scholarship now? TIA
I would reach out to admissions, Im sure you can because you were accepted regularly.

Pre II R, love how they try selling their masters program in the rejection email

• Sad
Does anyone know how often the admissions committee meets? My decision was deferred and I’m just trying to figure out how many more weeks or so I have to wait. I interviewed mid January.

Does anyone know how often the admissions committee meets? My decision was deferred and I’m just trying to figure out how many more weeks or so I have to wait. I interviewed mid January.
No idea about meeting frequency, but I got off of deferral roughly 2 months after they deferred me if that helps. I sent an update in the middle of that waiting period.

Also just got deferred around 9 AM EST. They said 6-8 weeks for a decision, so it'll probably either be around March or April we hear back?

Hi, same question as above. I interviewed January 19th and got deferred this morning. Knowing nothing about when the committee meetings, does this mean we'll still hear back within the original 6-8 week window? Really like Geisinger and just wondering whether I should be keeping my hopes up and waiting. I'm holding an acceptance at a DO school that's a great fit for me and worried that I'll be wasting my time waiting until April or God forbid May for a decision...

Hi, same question as above. I interviewed January 19th and got deferred this morning. Knowing nothing about when the committee meetings, does this mean we'll still hear back within the original 6-8 week window? Really like Geisinger and just wondering whether I should be keeping my hopes up and waiting. I'm holding an acceptance at a DO school that's a great fit for me and worried that I'll be wasting my time waiting until April or God forbid May for a decision...

Been on "Deferred" since November. Sent in significant updates. Still haven't heard anything. To be realistic with you, it doesn't look like it's very promising because Geisinger doesn't outrightly reject people so I think their "Deferred" status is really just a nice and non-confrontational way of rejecting people. Although I do know a few people have gotten accepted off the list already, but yeah, as time goes on, fewer seats become available so it's less likely.

Not to discourage anyone, but I've been deferred since 10/18. I haven't heard anything since.

Deferred is not a "nice" R. It means they are considering your app at each monthly meeting amongst the pool of applicants. Plenty of people get off deferred. I assume once a waitlist is formed, people will get pulled off around May, similar to other schools

Reactions: 4 users
For the people who got deferred - at the orientation meeting, they mentioned that being on the deferred list is "advantageous" because they simply haven't made a decision yet. They also mentioned that they do give rejections, however, I haven't seen that yet based on the SDN thread. It seems that they create an official waitlist after May 2nd.

Been on "Deferred" since November. Sent in significant updates. Still haven't heard anything. To be realistic with you, it doesn't look like it's very promising because Geisinger doesn't outrightly reject people so I think their "Deferred" status is really just a nice and non-confrontational way of rejecting people. Although I do know a few people have gotten accepted off the list already, but yeah, as time goes on, fewer seats become available so it's less likely.
Really appreciate the reply. I talked to my advisor and she said that once students start making status decisions on AMCAS (around April), things might move along. However she also told me that if they don't notify me at all by March it might make sense to just cross the school off. For me at least, I'd rather not risk a sure matriculation for a possible acceptance, especially if that means packing all my bags and moving across the country in a short time. Apparently in the past some students (not GCSOM in particular) have been notified 2 days before the year begins and I don't really want to be in that boat... I'll keep crossing my fingers and hope somethings happens.

Just got an Accepted Students/Second Look day email

Date: April 02 @ Scranton/North campus
Time: 8am-3pm

8am rip lol

• Love
Accepted this morning! Interviewed last month :)

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
For anyone offerred acceptance to the geisinger scholar's program, is agreeing to it now, binding or no?

Just got the A into the Abigail Scholars program. Interviewed on the 14th

For anyone offerred acceptance to the geisinger scholar's program, is agreeing to it now, binding or no?
nothing can be binding, no one paid tuition yet, nevertheless committing to enroll. binding as in once classes start and ur stuck on the track? that possibly yea if u decide to attend geisinger

Yeah, was just wondering if I accept the scholarship, do I have to withdraw from other schools. But it seems like its not binding in that sense, that by accepting it, you're not committing to enroll, right?

Silly question but this is my first OOS interview - the start times are Scranton local time then right?

Silly question but this is my first OOS interview - the start times are Scranton local time then right?
yes exactly. if you click on "web interview," which should appear within a few days of your interview... it automatically displays EST time.

Is there an accepted students fb group?

• Hmm
Does Geisinger have dedicated study time for Step in the curriculum? Ive seen some schools having up to 6 weeks dedicated STEP study built in

Does anyone know when the committee starts pulling from the Deferred batch typically? Or meets to discuss those applicants? Trying to get a general sense of the timeline and what to expect. Esp now bc I think the interview season is wrapped up or will be wrapping up very soon.

It is weird that my pre-II deferral shows up on the amcas choose a medical school tool.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Hi Everyone!

Is there an accepted students group chat or housing information going around that anyone knows of?

Thank you

Does anyone know when the committee starts pulling from the Deferred batch typically? Or meets to discuss those applicants? Trying to get a general sense of the timeline and what to expect. Esp now bc I think the interview season is wrapped up or will be wrapping up very soon.
Honestly not sure. I got deferred and would love to hear back soon. However it seems like students are still interviewing. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of applicants who have been deferred since the fall.