You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Geisinger Commonwealth
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I recall they sent one a 1-2 days before.Does anyone know how the recruitment day works? Do they send a zoom link the day of ? Much thanks in advance!
neverhaveiever28
Full Member
Thank you!It is more PBL. They just updated their curriculum and said that they will give lecture recordings for the week ahead of time, and give the Monday before the week off to listen to them, and then the "classes" during the week will be active learning activities to reinforce concepts. Personally, that is a far better use of "in-person" time. They did assure us they will make sure that the volume of lecture content is more than manageable so we aren't overloaded.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ocean_med6819
New Member
I interviewed on January 24th. Do you think it's possible to hear back in February? Seems like decisions come out about halfway through the month.
Did anyone who didn't attend recruitment day get accepted?
MeDid anyone who didn't attend recruitment day get accepted?
If keeping in line with the current trend, you'll get one to use (and take exams on etc). I know many people have their own they use too, but current ones are Dell touchscreens.Does anyone know if GCSOM provides us with a laptop or if I should get a new one before starting?
I don’t know, I think last years was Mar 2 and the year before that was Feb 21–deviating from the previous months’ ~day 15Do we think some decisions will come out next week?
studentdoc13309431
Full Member
I have an interview Feb 14th, any idea when I would find out?
How many interviews do you guys think were conducted/will be conducted in Feb and March?
Last edited:
Reinhard Lohengramm
Full Member
I just got an II scheduled for March 14th.
studentdoc13309431
Full Member
Sorry if this was already asked, but does Geisinger accept Letters of Interest/intent?
they do, but I believe it would still count towards your "2 update letters limit"Sorry if this was already asked, but does Geisinger accept Letters of Interest/intent?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my experience, they are also very communicative and quick in adding it to your file! When I sent mine early morning, I received a response that it was added to my file that same morning. Any update would count towards your two-letter limit, and they also require you send it as a PDF. Good luck!they do, but I believe it would still count towards your "2 update letters limit"
I would reach out to admissions, Im sure you can because you were accepted regularly.If you were accepted to the Abigail Geisinger's Primary Care Scholarship and accepted it within the two week deadline but now would rather pursue the regular MD here is that possible? Or am I only allowed to pursue the Primary Care scholarship now? TIA
neverhaveiever28
Full Member
Is Geisinger having a second look day?
phillygurl101
New Member
Pre II R, love how they try selling their masters program in the rejection email
idkwhattocallmyself?
Full Member
Does anyone know how often the admissions committee meets? My decision was deferred and I’m just trying to figure out how many more weeks or so I have to wait. I interviewed mid January.
TuckGamePerfect
Full Member
No idea about meeting frequency, but I got off of deferral roughly 2 months after they deferred me if that helps. I sent an update in the middle of that waiting period.Does anyone know how often the admissions committee meets? My decision was deferred and I’m just trying to figure out how many more weeks or so I have to wait. I interviewed mid January.
CircleOfWillis39
Full Member
Also just got deferred around 9 AM EST. They said 6-8 weeks for a decision, so it'll probably either be around March or April we hear back?
kobeforever24
Full Member
Hi, same question as above. I interviewed January 19th and got deferred this morning. Knowing nothing about when the committee meetings, does this mean we'll still hear back within the original 6-8 week window? Really like Geisinger and just wondering whether I should be keeping my hopes up and waiting. I'm holding an acceptance at a DO school that's a great fit for me and worried that I'll be wasting my time waiting until April or God forbid May for a decision...
Hi, same question as above. I interviewed January 19th and got deferred this morning. Knowing nothing about when the committee meetings, does this mean we'll still hear back within the original 6-8 week window? Really like Geisinger and just wondering whether I should be keeping my hopes up and waiting. I'm holding an acceptance at a DO school that's a great fit for me and worried that I'll be wasting my time waiting until April or God forbid May for a decision...
Been on "Deferred" since November. Sent in significant updates. Still haven't heard anything. To be realistic with you, it doesn't look like it's very promising because Geisinger doesn't outrightly reject people so I think their "Deferred" status is really just a nice and non-confrontational way of rejecting people. Although I do know a few people have gotten accepted off the list already, but yeah, as time goes on, fewer seats become available so it's less likely.
Not to discourage anyone, but I've been deferred since 10/18. I haven't heard anything since.
Deferred is not a "nice" R. It means they are considering your app at each monthly meeting amongst the pool of applicants. Plenty of people get off deferred. I assume once a waitlist is formed, people will get pulled off around May, similar to other schools
For the people who got deferred - at the orientation meeting, they mentioned that being on the deferred list is "advantageous" because they simply haven't made a decision yet. They also mentioned that they do give rejections, however, I haven't seen that yet based on the SDN thread. It seems that they create an official waitlist after May 2nd.
kobeforever24
Full Member
Really appreciate the reply. I talked to my advisor and she said that once students start making status decisions on AMCAS (around April), things might move along. However she also told me that if they don't notify me at all by March it might make sense to just cross the school off. For me at least, I'd rather not risk a sure matriculation for a possible acceptance, especially if that means packing all my bags and moving across the country in a short time. Apparently in the past some students (not GCSOM in particular) have been notified 2 days before the year begins and I don't really want to be in that boat... I'll keep crossing my fingers and hope somethings happens.Been on "Deferred" since November. Sent in significant updates. Still haven't heard anything. To be realistic with you, it doesn't look like it's very promising because Geisinger doesn't outrightly reject people so I think their "Deferred" status is really just a nice and non-confrontational way of rejecting people. Although I do know a few people have gotten accepted off the list already, but yeah, as time goes on, fewer seats become available so it's less likely.
Ahh not virtual? That's exciting!Just got an Accepted Students/Second Look day email
Date: April 02 @ Scranton/North campus
Time: 8am-3pm
8am rip lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
proof of vaccination required and no additional guests allowedAhh not virtual? That's exciting!
TuckGamePerfect
Full Member
why they gotta do my mom like thatproof of vaccination required and no additional guests allowed
Accepted this morning! Interviewed last month 🙂
braddahmac
New Member
A today! Interviewed in mid January
studentdoc13309431
Full Member
What day? I interviewed a few days ago and was just trying to figure out if I may find out in March or have to wait until mid AprilA today! Interviewed in mid January
You could definitely find out as early as mid-March 🙂 Good luck!What day? I interviewed a few days ago and was just trying to figure out if I may find out in March or have to wait until mid April
0707070707kf
New Member
For anyone offerred acceptance to the geisinger scholar's program, is agreeing to it now, binding or no?
nothing can be binding, no one paid tuition yet, nevertheless committing to enroll. binding as in once classes start and ur stuck on the track? that possibly yea if u decide to attend geisingerFor anyone offerred acceptance to the geisinger scholar's program, is agreeing to it now, binding or no?
0707070707kf
New Member
Yeah, was just wondering if I accept the scholarship, do I have to withdraw from other schools. But it seems like its not binding in that sense, that by accepting it, you're not committing to enroll, right?
kobeforever24
Full Member
yes exactly. if you click on "web interview," which should appear within a few days of your interview... it automatically displays EST time.Silly question but this is my first OOS interview - the start times are Scranton local time then right?
Does anyone know when the committee starts pulling from the Deferred batch typically? Or meets to discuss those applicants? Trying to get a general sense of the timeline and what to expect. Esp now bc I think the interview season is wrapped up or will be wrapping up very soon.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is weird that my pre-II deferral shows up on the amcas choose a medical school tool.
kobeforever24
Full Member
Honestly not sure. I got deferred and would love to hear back soon. However it seems like students are still interviewing. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of applicants who have been deferred since the fall.Does anyone know when the committee starts pulling from the Deferred batch typically? Or meets to discuss those applicants? Trying to get a general sense of the timeline and what to expect. Esp now bc I think the interview season is wrapped up or will be wrapping up very soon.
Just made a GroupMeHi Everyone!
Is there an accepted students group chat or housing information going around that anyone knows of?
Thank you
Here's the link: GroupMe
maddandadd
Full Member
I thought that was weird as well. I got pre-II holds from a few schools but those aren't listed. For a second I was like oh good they think I interviewed here, maybe they'll accidentally send me an A as well 😛It is weird that my pre-II deferral shows up on the amcas choose a medical school tool.