2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nope :bang:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a first year at Harlem Campus AKA Greatest campus ever in the history of all medical schools.
Has anything been done to improve board scores (particularly level 2) for you guys? I'm not asking this in a snarky way. I'm very curious as I am seriously attending Touro NY. Just wondering if faculty/administration has even spoken to you guys about it, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year at Harlem Campus AKA Greatest campus ever in the history of all medical schools.
what year are you? Did you take both USMLE and COMLEX? :)
Does anyone know how accepted students go about registering for classes? Doesn't look like I have access to do so just yet on Touro One. Apparently we can't see the financial aid offerings until we register.
Is there a fb group for class of 2022?

Has anything been done to improve board scores (particularly level 2) for you guys? I'm not asking this in a snarky way. I'm very curious as I am seriously attending Touro NY. Just wondering if faculty/administration has even spoken to you guys about it, etc.

So they don't give us stats for Step 1 or 2 but rather for COMLEX 1 and 2. As an aside, most of us take both, Step 1 to apply to MD residencies COMLEX to move on to MS3 and graduate.

COMLEX 1 - No worries about pass rates. We are now above the national average sitting at 94%

COMLEX 2- When a bunch of what spoke to the new Dean this past December about this issue his response was something along the lines that people have been brought in to analyze the situation and a plan is being implemented, given that this is still a bit aways for me I wasn't listening too intently. But here's my take on what I've gathered: some of our rotation sites can be small and the students need to be proactive about making sure they see all the clinical aspects, and situations they could be tested on. Personally, I would NEVER sit back and blame the school for something that is MY responsibility - Step 2 or COMLEX part 2. Here is why you come to Touro, not because its perfect, but because the school actually listens to its students and wants to be better. I have the faith that this new Dean is working hard to make things better for these pass rates, but still its my responsibility to find a way to do well on it.

Reactions: 2 users
what year are you? Did you take both USMLE and COMLEX? :)

Is there a fb group for class of 2022?

I am a first year. Yes, I will be taking both the USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX. The prescribed method is to study for step 1, take it, then study OMM for a week before taking COMLEX part 1. I believe this to be true, but will be testing it out as I get deeper into my prep.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a first year. Yes, I will be taking both the USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX. The prescribed method is to study for step 1, take it, then study OMM for a week before taking COMLEX part 1. I believe this to be true, but will be testing it out as I get deeper into my prep.
Thank you :)

Do you guys know how many have been accepted here by any chance? I interview at Harlem campus during second week of feb, and I'm worried about my chances if most of the spots have already been filled/will fill up by then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know how many have been accepted here by any chance? I interview at Harlem campus during second week of feb, and I'm worried about my chances if most of the spots have already been filled/will fill up by then.

You should interview regardless, as just because x # have been accepted doesn't mean that they will all go here.

Unless you have another acceptance and this school was your back up then it's a different story; you shouldn't waste money on traveling in that case.

So they don't give us stats for Step 1 or 2 but rather for COMLEX 1 and 2. As an aside, most of us take both, Step 1 to apply to MD residencies COMLEX to move on to MS3 and graduate.

COMLEX 1 - No worries about pass rates. We are now above the national average sitting at 94%

COMLEX 2- When a bunch of what spoke to the new Dean this past December about this issue his response was something along the lines that people have been brought in to analyze the situation and a plan is being implemented, given that this is still a bit aways for me I wasn't listening too intently. But here's my take on what I've gathered: some of our rotation sites can be small and the students need to be proactive about making sure they see all the clinical aspects, and situations they could be tested on. Personally, I would NEVER sit back and blame the school for something that is MY responsibility - Step 2 or COMLEX part 2. Here is why you come to Touro, not because its perfect, but because the school actually listens to its students and wants to be better. I have the faith that this new Dean is working hard to make things better for these pass rates, but still its my responsibility to find a way to do well on it.
I agree with you, medical school is what you make of it. Hopefully, I'll be attending here. As a PA, I was always amazed, and still am, at how little patients many medical students examine on rotations. They only want to see the "cool" cases or do the invasive procedures, but not much of the day-to-day clinical work that will make them better on their PE exams. The best way to get ready for step 2 is to see a gazillion patients (advice from other drs). The pathophysiology is easier to recognize when someone points it out, but harder when its discovered on your own, or by accident. Many try to study while in the clinic and I think this only hurts because they are not as busy examining and performing the exams, discovering the abnormal findings. If a dr has 40 pts in the clinic/day, the student should examine at least half of those. The only thing a student should say on rotations, is "next patient please"...

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with you, medical school is what you make of it. Hopefully, I'll be attending here. As a PA, I was always amazed, and still am, at how little patients many medical students examine on rotations. They only want to see the "cool" cases or do the invasive procedures, but not much of the day-to-day clinical work that will make them better on their PE exams. The best way to get ready for step 2 is to see a gazillion patients (advice from other drs). The pathophysiology is easier to recognize when someone points it out, but harder when its discovered on your own, or by accident. Many try to study while in the clinic and I think this only hurts because they are not as busy examining and performing the exams, discovering the abnormal findings. If a dr has 40 pts in the clinic/day, the student should examine at least half of those. The only thing a student should say on rotations, is "next patient please"...
What speciality did you practice?

ER....12 yrs.
Nice! :) All that experience must have made you look like a star at your interview :clap:

Rooting for you and all the other folks that are still waiting to hear back one way or another. :banana:

Last edited:
Thx. Don't think all that experience carries as much weight to get into medical school though.

I wasn't trying to be condensending in my previous post. But I think most medical professionals (EMT, RN, PA/NP, DO/MD) would agree that professional school is mostly what you put into it. There is only so far a program can carry you. In my experience, there is less hand holding on rotations than in the classroom. Most docs don't have time to give a lecture after every patient to discuss their disease. You have to self study a lot on clinicals and be aware of your weaknesses instead of someone else always pointing them out

still waiting for 12/4 interview

Reactions: 2 users
Middleton Interview on 02/05/18 here. Planning on flying in to JFK--> Port Authority--> Middletown. My problem is going back, as most of the cheaper flights leave JFK by 5:30/6:30pm that monday. Was planning on Carpooling with anyone right after the morning interview (that goes from 8:30-about 3pm) to make it for my flight at JFK by 6:30pm. I don't even mind paying for gas. Pretty please PM if you're interested. Muchas gracias <3 <3

Getting from Middletown to JFK during rush hour(s) may very well take longer than three hours...don’t underestimate nyc traffic.

Middleton Interview on 02/05/18 here. Planning on flying in to JFK--> Port Authority--> Middletown. My problem is going back, as most of the cheaper flights leave JFK by 5:30/6:30pm that monday. Was planning on Carpooling with anyone right after the morning interview (that goes from 8:30-about 3pm) to make it for my flight at JFK by 6:30pm. I don't even mind paying for gas. Pretty please PM if you're interested. Muchas gracias <3 <3

Getting from Middletown to JFK during rush hour(s) may very well take longer than three hours...don’t underestimate nyc traffic.

Flying to Newark-EWR and driving from there might be quicker. It will take about 1h30-1h45. I understand travel is expensive but I do think you're cutting it a bit fine.

Flying to Newark-EWR and driving from there might be quicker. It will take about 1h30-1h45. I understand travel is expensive but I do think you're cutting it a bit fine.
I absolutely agree with this. I flew to Newark and did not rent a car and that was a huge mistake. Took around 3.5 hours to get to Middletown by train and 45 minutes for a taxi to pick me up since uber/lyft doesn't exist there. Going back to Newark was even more hectic. I am short on money just like everyone else, but I would of spent some extra cash to rent a car to save myself from that hassle.

Accepted!!!
Interviewed 11/13, received the acceptance email 01/08 on my birthday :)

Does anyone know when it is expected for the Dec 4 interviewees to hear back?

The 6 week mark for Dec 4 interviews would be next Monday but with the holiday weekend I would be hoping they would send them out by this Friday (but again we can only hope lol).

The 6 week mark for Dec 4 interviews would be next Monday but with the holiday weekend I would be hoping they would send them out by this Friday (but again we can only hope lol).

I heard back 8 weeks after my interview and I got accepted. So hang in there! It will come :) I think the holidays just delayed their responses.

Has anyone ever shadowed the first year classes at Touro in Middletown?

I am shadowing next week and I wanted to know if I should bring/wear anything specific with me or tell me more about the day. I do not really know what to expect except to show up haha! Or if you are a student and have seen potential students shadow or think there is anything I should know let me know! I am nervous

Has anyone ever shadowed the first year classes at Touro in Middletown?

I am shadowing next week and I wanted to know if I should bring/wear anything specific with me or tell me more about the day. I do not really know what to expect except to show up haha! Or if you are a student and have seen potential students shadow or think there is anything I should know let me know! I am nervous

I shadowed! It was truly a great experience because I got to see the flipped classroom first hand and I absolutely loved it. When i went, they were still doing anatomy so I had to wear scrubs if I wanted to sit in on the lab. Since they're probably done with anatomy, I'd say maybe if you're a boy like black jeans or dark jeans with a button up. if you're a girl honestly, the same thing. It's still casual yet professional. You don't want to be overdressed while all the other students are dressed casual.

I shadowed! It was truly a great experience because I got to see the flipped classroom first hand and I absolutely loved it. When i went, they were still doing anatomy so I had to wear scrubs if I wanted to sit in on the lab. Since they're probably done with anatomy, I'd say maybe if you're a boy like black jeans or dark jeans with a button up. if you're a girl honestly, the same thing. It's still casual yet professional. You don't want to be overdressed while all the other students are dressed casual.
Thanks so much for your response!

I think they are still doing anatomy actually. Did you bring your own scrubs?

I think they are still doing anatomy actually. Did you bring your own scrubs?
Yeah I happened to have my own but you could probably buy some too cause you'll probably use them next year for anatomy wherever you end up!

Interviewed today at Harlem! Pretty stoked. What a cool skool.

Seeing as they have a solid jewish background, I should be a pretty solid choice for a seat #thefirstcoming

Does anyone know when it is expected for the Dec 4 interviewees to hear back?
What campus did you apply to? I heard back from the Harlem campus at exactly 4 weeks with an acceptance

Heard back 4 weeks after interview at Harlem.

Interviewed at Middletown on 12/11! 4 weeks as of today. Should be any day now!

Has anyone ever interviewed at Harlem but ended up at Middletown? II today for Harlem. On my application I put that I wanted to be considered at both with Harlem as a priority, but I actually think Middletown may be a better fit for me. At the interview are they considering you for both campuses?

Open to either campus though! I’m just happy for the opportunity

Last edited:
Per email w/ admissions, it looks like for 12/4 interviewees they are meeting next week and should have selected candidates by the end of the week.

Last edited: