2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My understanding is there is no waitlist movement until May. I interviewed last year in March and was taken off the waitlist the Friday before Memorial Day weekend; looks like you will have to wait longer. I would recommend sending an update letter with a statement of intent (if you find this school to be your first choice) with your updated grades and some jazz about the volunteering you intend to do. TBH its probably not your grades holding you back it's your MCAT. At least in this first year class you'll find similar GPAs, but MCATs that range from 508-517. I would see if you can put a plan together to take it again.

I got accepted to Middletown with a low mcat score... I take what this person has to say with a pinch of salt lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
My understanding is there is no waitlist movement until May. I interviewed last year in March and was taken off the waitlist the Friday before Memorial Day weekend; looks like you will have to wait longer. I would recommend sending an update letter with a statement of intent (if you find this school to be your first choice) with your updated grades and some jazz about the volunteering you intend to do. TBH its probably not your grades holding you back it's your MCAT. At least in this first year class you'll find similar GPAs, but MCATs that range from 508-517. I would see if you can put a plan together to take it again.

That will be my first order of business if I do not get in somewhere, but from my understanding, they do not accept MCAT's after January so I thought it would not help my chances of getting off the waitlist? Maybe I am wrong?

Doesn’t Harlem campus have poor rotation sites, multiple professors quitting and low board scores? Lol

Typical run of the mill repeated stuff you've heard on SDN with no investigation.

I don't consider Palisades and St. Barnabas poor rotation sites
All of Touro (middletown and Harlem) have bad Comlex Step 2 scores currently
No professors quit last year or this year to my knowledge. One left last year due to visa issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to Middletown with a low mcat score... I take what this person has to say with a pinch of salt lol

So you recommend someone who got waitlisted shouldn't consider bettering their application by retaking the MCAT? A low MCAT score isn't something to brag about, each applicant has strengths and weakness and maybe this is this person only weakness.

Typical run of the mill repeated stuff you've heard on SDN with no investigation.

No professors quit last year or this year to my knowledge. One left last year due to visa issues.

Where is your source showing bad level 2 scores for the Middletown campus?

Reactions: 1 user
That will be my first order of business if I do not get in somewhere, but from my understanding, they do not accept MCAT's after January so I thought it would not help my chances of getting off the waitlist? Maybe I am wrong?

Hmm I can't quote you on specifics of the administration. If they don't accept after January 1st or whatnot. Just from the bit you posted I can say that if you don't come off the waitlist I'd consider retaking the MCAT as your GPA isn't out of range for those accepted, but your MCAT is a bit on the lower side. I'd also take the time to ask around, maybe to a few AdComs and see what they recommend then come up with a plan that way.

I actually spoke
So you recommend someone who got waitlisted shouldn't consider bettering their application by retaking the MCAT? A low MCAT score isn't something to brag about, each applicant has strengths and weakness and maybe this is this person only weakness.

I wasn’t bragging lol don’t know where you got that from.... I just said be weary of your advice, esp since you thought Harlem was the better campus.

Lastly, one thing I realized is that schools really do look at applications holistically (gpa, mcat, Research, volunteer, publications, path to medicine etc)... If I remember correctly, Touro’s mcat avg was about a 504? That’s pretty low isn’t it? Idk where you got 508-517 from (or whatever # you said )

I actually spoke

I wasn’t bragging lol don’t know where you got that from.... I just said be weary of your advice, esp since you thought Harlem was the better campus.

Lastly, one thing I realized is that schools really do look at applications holistically (gpa, mcat, Research, volunteer, publications, path to medicine etc)... If I remember correctly, Touro’s mcat avg was about a 504? That’s pretty low isn’t it? Idk where you got 508-517 from (or whatever # you said )

If you go back and read my original post I was responding to a kid who interviewed at your campus and hated it. My response to him was a joke. But alas, Middletown campus where humor goes to die.

Anyone not get a response for thank you letter post interview?

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone talk more about the wait list? I was just waitlisted at Middletown.

Interviewed 11/6.
500 mcat. 3.4 sgpa. 3.55 cgpa.

Is there movement off of the waitlist before may? I am going to send in my grades when I get them in which will be straight A's. I am in my last year of undergrad. Are you able to ask to see where on the waitlist you are? Does anyone have advice on how to bolster my chances like a letter of interest or something of that nature? Thanks! Good luck to everyone else
There is some movement, but the vast majority of it will be after everyone confirms their acceptance of choice in May.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all. I am a long time lurker, but just created an account to post. Could a current student at Middletown campus please DM me? I am considering my acceptance here and from two other DO schools and have some questions about your experiences here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoever cancelled at Harlem and opened up a spot for me, I love you!

Did anyone just receive an open house invitation to the Middletown campus?

Has anyone attended one of these events from Touro?

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

I just noticed my interview invite for Feb, (Middletown campus) Jw if anyone can give me advice on how to prepare for interview?! I am really nervous and would appreciate any help!
Thank you and GL to everyone currently interviewing!!

Does anyone know how accepted students go about registering for classes? Doesn't look like I have access to do so just yet on Touro One. Apparently we can't see the financial aid offerings until we register.

Does anyone know how accepted students go about registering for classes? Doesn't look like I have access to do so just yet on Touro One. Apparently we can't see the financial aid offerings until we register.

Don't worry about any of that my friend. The admin assistants take care of all of that stuff as you get closer to the beginning of classes. Same thing for financial aid, I don't think I saw my full award package until June. You will need to get in all your official transcripts though before they can register you, so focus on that and if you have any question I'm sure you can call them.

Would it be too late to submit a secondary to Harlem?

No I didn't even finish my primary till January. Depending on how competitive you are there are still slots and this school tends to have decent waitlist movement.

Hello! I have an interview coming up soon at Middletown any advice for it??

Don't worry about any of that my friend. The admin assistants take care of all of that stuff as you get closer to the beginning of classes. Same thing for financial aid, I don't think I saw my full award package until June. You will need to get in all your official transcripts though before they can register you, so focus on that and if you have any question I'm sure you can call them.
thank you!

i have one coming up too at middletown, i'm also looking for advice
Interview is very relaxing and laid back when it comes to Touro Middletown. Administration is great and very supportive. Just relax, be yourself, and let the day play out. Great vibes all around. Students and faculty both mad chill and happy :D

Anyone from 11/13 date heard back yet?

Last edited:
Anybody know how long interview days are? I have an interview at Harlem with a check-in time at 8:45am, wanted to know at what time to schedule my flight back home

Anybody know how long interview days are? I have an interview at Harlem with a check-in time at 8:45am, wanted to know at what time to schedule my flight back home
I just had it last week...ends around 2:15 pm.

I interviewed at Touro-Middletown some weeks ago. As I've since been accepted to Rowan I will not be attending, but I wanted to give my take. The school gets a pretty bad rap on SDN, though I found my experience very pleasant. The interview day overall was very laid back and the students and staff seemed excited to be there. I interviewed with two faculty members and their questions were fairly basic: why medicine, why DO, some about my fit for the curriculum and specific experiences. I believe it was open file but I got the sense they did not read my application very thoroughly. And that was really fine: it gave my the chance to steer the conversation. They did put a lot of effort into making sure you understood the flipped classroom model and whether or not it would work for you.

PROS:
-They seem concerned with student wellness. Had their counseler give a litte presentation on how that's priority.
-Students and faculty seemed to want to be there. It seemed like a nice community.

CONS:
-Given their COMLEX pass rates, and the fact their curriculum seems very time-intensive, I'm wondering if their method of teaching "works" for anyone...
-The lack of research opportunities was also a bit of a downer.
-I found the on-campus housing a little odd. Couldn't see myself using it even in my early 20's. That and parents being invited along on the tour... it felt a little bit infantilizing? But who am I to judge?

Last edited:
I interviewed at Touro-Middletown some weeks ago. As I've since been accepted to Rowan I will not be attending, but I wanted to give my take. The school gets a pretty bad rap on SDN, though I found my experience very pleasant. The interview day overall was very laid back and the students and staff seemed excited to be there. I interviewed with two faculty members and their questions were fairly basic: why medicine, why DO, some about my fit for the curriculum and specific experiences. I believe it was open file but I got the sense they did not read my application very thoroughly. And that was really fine: it gave my the chance to steer the conversation. They did put a lot of effort into making sure you understood the flipped classroom model and whether or not it would work for you.

PROS:
-They seem concerned with student wellness. Had their counseler give a litte presentation on how that's priority.
-Students and faculty seemed to want to be there. It seemed like a nice community.

CONS:
-Given their COMLEX pass rates, and the fact their curriculum seems very time-intensive, I'm wondering if their method of teaching "works" for anyone...
-The lack of research opportunities was also a bit of a downer.
-I found the on-campus housing a little odd. Couldn't see myself using it even in my early 20's. That and parents being invited along on the tour... it felt a little bit infantilizing? But who am I to judge?
thank you for sharing your experience with us. can you explain what flipped classroom is? Also, do you know if touro lectures are mandatory, I read somewhere that attendance is 10% of your grade.

thank you for sharing your experience with us. can you explain what flipped classroom is? Also, do you know if touro lectures are mandatory, I read somewhere that attendance is 10% of your grade.
Flipped Classroom means you have access to all the powerpoint and lecture videos prior to the actual class. You can watch those at your own pace, even though you will only have limited time to finish them. This way when you come to the lecture, you are more prepared to have discussion and go over case based problems/questions. When you go for an interview, you will get the taste of it. I had an opportunity to spend the entire day at Touro Middletown, attended some lectures and labs, and I loved how the lectures and labs are conducted at Touro. As far as the attendance goes, I don't think it is mandatory, however, clicker sessions amount to a certain percent of your grade and you will likely miss them if you don't show up. This is just my take on your question. Touro Middletown is a great place to be!!! I hope this helps.

Still waiting

Last edited:
Flipped Classroom means you have access to all the powerpoint and lecture videos prior to the actual class. You can watch those at your own pace, even though you will only have limited time to finish them. This way when you come to the lecture, you are more prepared to have discussion and go over case based problems/questions. When you go for an interview, you will get the taste of it. I had an opportunity to spend the entire day at Touro Middletown, attended some lectures and labs, and I loved how the lectures and labs are conducted at Touro. As far as the attendance goes, I don't think it is mandatory, however, clicker sessions amount to a certain percent of your grade and you will likely miss them if you don't show up. This is just my take on your question. Touro Middletown is a great place to be!!! I hope this helps.

Most people I know at med scools never really had to attend lectures besides Anatomy of course. Touro makes it difficult, because watching lectures take time to complete so attendance makes it more difficult. I thought clickers were done online. Thank you man, I appreciate you getting back to me

Most people I know at med scools never really had to attend lectures besides Anatomy of course. Touro makes it difficult, because watching lectures take time to complete so attendance makes it more difficult. I thought clickers were done online. Thank you man, I appreciate you getting back to me

It actually takes less time because the lectures are taught better and at a faster pace with no one asking questions, most of us watch them on 2x. You then go to class to re-enforce the material via questions. I was skeptical of the system at first, but now I think its the best way to learn compared to other systems I have been apart of. Don't fall into this trap of thinking most people don't attend lectures, while yes that might be true, realize you will need to be on campus multiple hours per day multiple days per week for Anatomy lab, Physical Diagnosis lab, and OMM, so staying for a few more clicker session isn't as inconvenient as it sounds, especially if it allows you to recall the information better.

Reactions: 3 users
NP! I spoke to a few 4th year students and they said that they are trying to get it changed, as far as the amount of videos you have to watch before class and the attendance is concerned. But tbh it's not that bad. Most students seem to be happy as I know good number of people, who are current 4th years and second/first years, personally. Good Luck with everything man! :)

It actually takes less time because the lectures are taught better and at a faster pace with no one asking questions, most of us watch them on 2x. You then go to class to re-enforce the material via questions. I was skeptical of the system at first, but now I think its the best way to learn compared to other systems I have been apart of. Don't fall into this trap of thinking most people don't attend lectures, while yes that might be true, realize you will need to be on campus multiple hours per day multiple days per week for Anatomy lab, Physical Diagnosis lab, and OMM, so staying for a few more clicker session isn't as inconvenient as it sounds, especially if it allows you to recall the information better.
I second this! even though you will probably feel like you are always on time crunch, in the long run I think it would pay off. I prefer this way than traditional lecture mode. Flipped classroom allows you to see the same material a few times and gives you a chance to figure out your weaknesses. I also loved how all the students are super supportive of each other, especially for open discussion clicker sessions. As far as I know it's either for path or histology where you can't have discussion for clicker session.

agreed! but dont you think attendance being 10% of your grade is a bit overboard? it may not be much but it enough to kill your residency dreams

agreed! but dont you think attendance being 10% of your grade is a bit overboard? it may not be much but it enough to kill your residency dreams

Shhhhhh about to tell you a med school secret........

Grades don't matter that much!

And by don't matter I don't mean like hey bro tank all you exams, get 70s on them and life is fine. But like to get an A you going to need generally 90% or better, even with the 10% clicker grade it takes a lot of time studying to get an A (5 -7 wrong per an exam of 75-90 questions). Now, the range for a B is so big (89%-75%) that its very hard to get a C. There are no +/- grades, so the person who gets 15 wrong on the exam will end up with the same final letter grade as a person who gets 6 wrong on the exams. The "B" at Touro is similar to the "Pass" grade at other medical schools. The consensus from years above us at Touro, and other medical schools, is that pre-clinical grades don't matter too much, only board scores do, so your statement about 10% costing you a residency spot is insane.

Let's do a thought experiment. Student 1 has a 4.0 in the Touro system, he crams and absconds himself to the library at all hours of the day/weekend, but due to the crazy schedule of medical school the cramming for the exams do not help with long term understanding, worse he burns himself out midway through his 2nd year, never letting go of his desire to keep the perfect GPA. By the time Board dedicated study period comes he cannot keep his eyes open. Student 1 scores a 218 on Step 1.

Student 2 has a 3.5 GPA in the Touro system. She focuses on long term understanding and lives a life of structured discipline, allowing for time with friends and hobbies. She works hard, but is focused on really understanding the material and stops to think frequently about the clinical applications. Due to this though occasionally student 2 misses a minor detail question on the exam, causing her to end up with B's in a few classes, but come time for her dedicated study period for Boards she is fresh. This student scores a 240 on Step 1.

TL;DR Grades don't matter that much. Focus on understanding the material and staying sane long term, don't jump off the roof because you got an 87 or and 89, or even an 80. DO NOT underestimate the step. With that being said, if score less than 80%-85% on an exam your study method is wrong, but again no worries just fix it next exam.

Reactions: 6 users
Shhhhhh about to tell you a med school secret........

Grades don't matter that much!

And by don't matter I don't mean like hey bro tank all you exams, get 70s on them and life is fine. But like to get an A you going to need generally 90% or better, even with the 10% clicker grade it takes a lot of time studying to get an A (5 -7 wrong per an exam of 75-90 questions). Now, the range for a B is so big (89%-75%) that its very hard to get a C. There are no +/- grades, so the person who gets 15 wrong on the exam will end up with the same final letter grade as a person who gets 6 wrong on the exams. The "B" at Touro is similar to the "Pass" grade at other medical schools. The consensus from years above us at Touro, and other medical schools, is that pre-clinical grades don't matter too much, only board scores do, so your statement about 10% costing you a residency spot is insane.

Let's do a thought experiment. Student 1 has a 4.0 in the Touro system, he crams and absconds himself to the library at all hours of the day/weekend, but due to the crazy schedule of medical school the cramming for the exams do not help with long term understanding, worse he burns himself out midway through his 2nd year, never letting go of his desire to keep the perfect GPA. By the time Board dedicated study period comes he cannot keep his eyes open. Student 1 scores a 218 on Step 1.

Student 2 has a 3.5 GPA in the Touro system. She focuses on long term understanding and lives a life of structured discipline, allowing for time with friends and hobbies. She works hard, but is focused on really understanding the material and stops to think frequently about the clinical applications. Due to this though occasionally student 2 misses a minor detail question on the exam, causing her to end up with B's in a few classes, but come time for her dedicated study period for Boards she is fresh. This student scores a 240 on Step 1.

TL;DR Grades don't matter that much. Focus on understanding the material and staying sane long term, don't jump off the roof because you got an 87 or and 89, or even an 80. DO NOT underestimate the step. With that being said, if score less than 80%-85% on an exam your study method is wrong, but again no worries just fix it next exam.

Are you at Harlem or Middletown?