2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so when you are tested every monday, does that mean you are only being tested on the previous week's material?

LOL I wish.

Here is a general example of what I mean:

1 Month of classes with no exams on Monday
Exam block begins
Exam 1 Week 1 - Test on 4 weeks of anatomy Monday. Tuesday begins Anatomy exam 2 material.
Exam 2 Week 2 - Test on 5 weeks of histology Monday. 2 Weeks before exam ended test 1 material for Histology. 1 Week before exam begins exam 2 material.
Exam 3 Week 3 - Test on 6 weeks of Biochemistry
Exam 4 Weeks 4 - Test on 7 weeks of Physiology (whatever subject falls last in exam block 1 ends up being the hardest because it covers the most material, our first Histology exam was on 16 chapters I believe)
Continues until you've been tested on every subject

First semester you have a break in-between exam blocks, but second semester there is no breaks in between exam blocks and there's multiple exams per week.

The hard part is say I have a Neuroanatomy exam Monday. The week before that I'm going to have to do chapters for clickers that aren't on the upcoming exam. One must balance staying up on the material along with dedicated time for the Monday's exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
LOL I wish.

Here is a general example of what I mean:

1 Month of classes with no exams on Monday
Exam block begins
Exam 1 Week 1 - Test on 4 weeks of anatomy Monday. Tuesday begins Anatomy exam 2 material.
Exam 2 Week 2 - Test on 5 weeks of histology Monday. 2 Weeks before exam ended test 1 material for Histology. 1 Week before exam begins exam 2 material.
Exam 3 Week 3 - Test on 6 weeks of Biochemistry
Exam 4 Weeks 4 - Test on 7 weeks of Physiology (whatever subject falls last in exam block 1 ends up being the hardest because it covers the most material, our first Histology exam was on 16 chapters I believe)
Continues until you've been tested on every subject

First semester you have a break in-between exam blocks, but second semester there is no breaks in between exam blocks and there's multiple exams per week.

The hard part is say I have a Neuroanatomy exam Monday. The week before that I'm going to have to do chapters for clickers that aren't on the upcoming exam. One must balance staying up on the material along with dedicated time for the Monday's exam.

Ohh thank you!

When did the interview day end? I know the email says at least 3, but I have a train to catch at 3:19 and am wondering if this'll work. :thinking:

Members don't see this ad :)
When did the interview day end? I know the email says at least 3, but I have a train to catch at 3:19 and am wondering if this'll work. :thinking:
Ends at 3 but if you tell em you need to leave early, they are more than happy to let you leave early.... atleast for middletown

Reactions: 1 user
today marks 5 weeks for the people who interviewed on 2/5. has anyone from that day or any other day hear back from middletown?

Also still waiting to hear since 2/5, the turnaround time is quite nerve-wracking.

Does anyone know if/when Middletown will release their match list?

Can’t wait to see Touro Middletown ’s match list!!

Reactions: 4 users
FYI I interviewed recently. They said that they’re currently still reviewing files for interviews at the end of January and that there are quite a few seats left. EDIT: this is from the Middletown campus

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today at 3 pm interviewed Jan 29/18 at Middletown

Just recently accepted to Middletown campus (where I interviewed). Any way I might be able to attend Harlem campus instead?

Just recently accepted to Middletown campus (where I interviewed). Any way I might be able to attend Harlem campus instead?

Congrats, when did you interview?
And no you cant transfer your acceptance to harlem. You have to interview for harlem to get accepted there.

Congrats, when did you interview?
And no you cant transfer your acceptance to harlem. You have to interview for harlem to get accepted there.
I interviewed in January. I don't think what you said is correct about having to interview at Harlem to get accepted there because they asked me in my interview which campus I preferred. I told them no preferance though and did the same on my secondary.

I interviewed in January. I don't think what you said is correct about having to interview at Harlem to get accepted there because they asked me in my interview which campus I preferred. I told them no preferance though and did the same on my secondary.
The previous poster was correct, you cannot transfer acceptances, they are two different campuses. Interesting why they asked you during the interview though. Congrats on the acceptance!

Reactions: 2 users
Just received a message saying admission decisions would be delayed until end of next week due to weather issues.... interviewed on 2/5.

Reactions: 2 users
Just read on FB that the dean said “100% of eligible students matched”.... that’s amazing!!! but what does “eligible” mean?

are there any current students out there who could post some of the names of some of the outreach programs that tourcom in harlem does in the local community?

Thanks!

Can’t wait to see Touro Middletown ’s match list!!

It was out days ago. They combined the data from 2 campuses together so don't know Middletown's status

1 neurosurgery, 3 ortho, 2 otolaryn, 6+ gen surg (they put several into surg prelim, but I heard that they actually matched into cat surg), 11+ anes (same reason, they put whoever matched into adv anes into IM/surg prelim) and a bunch of EM

It was out days ago. They combined the data from 2 campuses together so don't know Middletown's status

1 neurosurgery, 3 ortho, 2 otolaryn, 6+ gen surg (they put several into surg prelim, but I heard that they actually matched into cat surg), 11+ anes (same reason, they put whoever matched into adv anes into IM/surg prelim) and a bunch of EM

where are you looking? i still see the 2017 list on the website.

Any idea if there are still spots available in the Harlem class? II as of yesterday

How are the interviews conducted at Harlem? Can someone provide me with any details? PM if you are willing!

Thanks!

I am a touro NYC student. A warning the flipped classroom is pretty disliked by students. Clickers are optional but if you do not go you will lose 10% of your grade. 2 years ago they over enrolled the class and forced people to defer. I hope this does not happen again. Campus is not safe either. We have had many security issues the past year. Main Touro refuses to help us. Only go here as a last resort. The carribean schools have better rotations than us.

I am a touro NYC student. A warning the flipped classroom is pretty disliked by students. Clickers are optional but if you do not go you will lose 10% of your grade. 2 years ago they over enrolled the class and forced people to defer. I hope this does not happen again. Campus is not safe either. We have had many security issues the past year. Main Touro refuses to help us. Only go here as a last resort. The carribean schools have better rotations than us.
Dude youre like an annoying ex who refuses to move on.

Ah, the disgruntled student who wants to blame the school for their own shortcomings. I'm sorry you didn't get the rotation site you wanted. But to clear up your "problems" for the applicants:

1. Clickers make up 10% of your grade. They help gauge your understanding. Otherwise, you would never show up to a class. Think of it as an attendance grade, as many schools have. You don't even need to get 100% of the clickers correct, just a majority. It also gives you a bit of wiggle room at the end of the semester for each class. Ive gotten A's simply because I went to clickers.

2. That was an unfortunate mistake that should have never happened. However, it only happened that year, and everyone involved was fired. If youre griping about that, you must not have many problems, friend.

3. I like comment on vague security issues. My friends at Harlem have told me about these "issues". Guess what: youre in a major city. Touro is not a police force.

4. Go to a core Caribbean rotation site and then tell me they have better rotation sites.

For applicants, both Middletown and Harlem matched very well this year. Middletown gained several rotation sites as well, and has a 100% match rate for its inaugural class. Its not a perfect school, but its not as bad as SDN makes it out to be. Don't let an anonymous (though, not for long) disgruntled kid with an agenda dictate your future.

Reactions: 5 users
Do you have a match list?
Ah, the disgruntled student who wants to blame the school for their own shortcomings. I'm sorry you didn't get the rotation site you wanted. But to clear up your "problems" for the applicants:

1. Clickers make up 10% of your grade. They help gauge your understanding. Otherwise, you would never show up to a class. Think of it as an attendance grade, as many schools have. You don't even need to get 100% of the clickers correct, just a majority. It also gives you a bit of wiggle room at the end of the semester for each class. Ive gotten A's simply because I went to clickers.

2. That was an unfortunate mistake that should have never happened. However, it only happened that year, and everyone involved was fired. If youre griping about that, you must not have many problems, friend.

3. I like comment on vague security issues. My friends at Harlem have told me about these "issues". Guess what: youre in a major city. Touro is not a police force.

4. Go to a core Caribbean rotation site and then tell me they have better rotation sites.

For applicants, both Middletown and Harlem matched very well this year. Middletown gained several rotation sites as well, and has a 100% match rate for its inaugural class. Its not a perfect school, but its not as bad as SDN makes it out to be. Don't let an anonymous (though, not for long) disgruntled kid with an agenda dictate your future.

Does the Harlem campus still have open seats? Anyone...