2017-2018 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else have a negative experience interviewing here? I felt the whole day was very...unorganized. The 1st year tour guides were friendly but seemed like they had other places to be and one of my interviewers was dismissive and abrasive. I just thought I would feel more welcome for a school that is apparently focused on the health and happiness of their students.

I felt the exact same way. Compared to my other interviews, this one was underwhelming and could have definitely been more organized. The lady who did our presentation at the start of the day didn't seem to know anything about the school and the student with her corrected her on almost everything she said. When they're looking to have you attend and pay over 50k/year, it seems like they'd be a bit more welcoming.

Although overall I thought my interviewers were pretty friendly, I also had one that seemed that way. And its kind of funny because its only something I've noticed occurs whenever I've been interviewed by admin., PHD's, or professors. For some reason they stay with a Poker Face and you can't judge if they are receptive to your responses because there is no body language. I don't know if this is the same for everyone but thats a pattern I've noticed on my interview trail. So I can agree that I did have one interviewer who was a bit hard to read and made me nervous. However, even though I felt that way I still had a good outcome just like the RealAlexJones.

The rest really surprises me! The lady who did our presentation seemed very confident in the financial aid and the set-up of the curriculum however she did often turned to our student tour guide to give more input. She is admin. so it makes sense she wouldn't know exactly what occurred in the classroom so I, personally, thought it was refreshing that when she knew she didn't know the answer she turned to the student for her perspective. It's sad that you guys had this experience though because it leaves a totally different vibe for the school.

I say this because my tour guide as well as some other student interactions I've had have been great. The tour guide was open with us that she had an exam the next day but she was still laid back and didn't look overwhelmed at all and was still into the day and answered any and all questions that we had. This gave me a great impression on the student's wellbeing/mental health at this school as she wasn't obviously over worked or resentful of the fact that she was there instead of studying, which I can't say for some other schools I've interviewed at.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when immunizations and background check are due for this school? I was recently accepted and did not receive anything about matriculation requirements besides the deposit fees and their due dates.
You will receive information on this later on. I think I got this information in February. But the due dates were June 1st for health information and right before school started for a lot of the other information (background check, ID photo, etc.)

Does UNECOM strictly enforce the "all pre-reqs must be finished before January 1st" policy, or would they let a pre-req or two in the spring term slide?

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt the exact same way. Compared to my other interviews, this one was underwhelming and could have definitely been more organized. The lady who did our presentation at the start of the day didn't seem to know anything about the school and the student with her corrected her on almost everything she said. When they're looking to have you attend and pay over 50k/year, it seems like they'd be a bit more welcoming.

I totally forgot about the presentation lady in the beginning. She kept trying to make jokes and went on tangents. She didn't finish the last few slides of the PowerPoint, one of which was regarding the schools research opportunities (something I was really looking forward to learning more about). There were no other opportunities to ask about research either. The only thing the first year students could say was that their summer was shortened to 5 weeks and that they wouldn't have time to do any research.

I turned down my interviews at Nova, Cambell and Touro. I really loved UNECOM, but not sure if turning down Nova was a good idea?

Guys I need some advice- trying to pick between here and NYIT COM and honestly have no idea what to do. Anyone have any tips or is there a distinction between the two???

Reactions: 1 users
Guys I need some advice- trying to pick between here and NYIT COM and honestly have no idea what to do. Anyone have any tips or is there a distinction between the two???
I made a pro/con list for NYITCOM and UNECOM. I am choosing UNECOM. UNECOM has higher COMPLEX 1 and 2 scores and higher percentage of MD residency.

Last edited:

I don't know anything about NYIT COM but I also made a pro con list between UNECOM and Western and have decided that UNECOM is the better school and where I want to be. It really helps to lay out the things that are important to you.

lol Joining the train and picked UNECOM over MUCOM. It was a hard decision though.

Does anyone know if we can pay the deposit with a card over the phone? Still waiting for another day or two.....

I'll throw my $0.02 in as I chose NYIT. I live 30 minutes away from NYIT so COL was the major factor in my situation, while basic tuition between the two is the same, the amount of money in loans I would need to take out to live in Maine was much higher. ($68K vs. ~$80k). Also the other major factor was that I wanted to remain in NY for residency and felt NYIT was more established with NY programs like SBU, Hofstra/Northwell, Winthrop, NYP, etc. All in All, both are good schools and when making the decision I would take into account future goals, where you would enjoy living and what you think is financially best for you. I know coming from OOS to LI is very expensive (studios cost about 1250/month). Good luck and congratulations to everyone choosing UNE!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I was complete on 9/28 and silence-- should I call to ask about the status of my app?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we can pay the deposit with a card over the phone? Still waiting for another day or two.....

Yes I just got off the phone with her asking about it. Also asked about days they are closing which is 25-29 and the 1st of January so if your deposit is due during that time get it in before.

II just now!! there is still hope people!! date offered was jan 18th.

Paid the deposit today!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how close they are to filling up their class? I just received an interview offer 01/17. I LOVE UNECOM but I already put down my first deposit for KCU and for me to travel to UNE is about as much as my first deposit was haha. I don't have some superior app as well so I am wondering if its worth it:(

Does anyone know how close they are to filling up their class? I just received an interview offer 01/17. I LOVE UNECOM but I already put down my first deposit for KCU and for me to travel to UNE is about as much as my first deposit was haha. I don't have some superior app as well so I am wondering if its worth it:(

I cannot comment on how much the class is filled. But would you go to UNE over KCU? Also, even if the class is full, we do accept a lot of people from the waitlist.

I would go because you’d never know what could’ve been if you don’t. And the cost associated with travel to interviews is small in the long run.

I cannot comment on how much the class is filled. But would you go to UNE over KCU? Also, even if the class is full, we do accept a lot of people from the waitlist.

I would go because you’d never know what could’ve been if you don’t. And the cost associated with travel to interviews is small in the long run.
I think I would. ITs such a hard call though...UNE is the furthest point from where I live now and KCU has a military track which is nice as I am going HPSP but UNE just seems amazing.

I heard that the waitlist does move quite a bit for UNE as well, thanks for the input!

I think I would. ITs such a hard call though...UNE is the furthest point from where I live now and KCU has a military track which is nice as I am going HPSP but UNE just seems amazing.

I heard that the waitlist does move quite a bit for UNE as well, thanks for the input!
I understand. While we do not have a straight military track, we do have many HPSP students. I am also a part of it, so I can answer any questions you may have as well. I would recommend if you can afford the trip, to come check it out!

Does anyone know when immunizations and background check are due for this school? I was recently accepted and did not receive anything about matriculation requirements besides the deposit fees and their due dates.

You will receive information on this later on. I think I got this information in February. But the due dates were June 1st for health information and right before school started for a lot of the other information (background check, ID photo, etc.)

If you want, I recommend getting your Hep B titer and see if you're still vaccinated. Some people need to be vaccinated again as it's a requirement for the school. If you do, you need at least your 1st shot of the series to officially start classes (the 2nd and 3rd shots take a couple of months). The school can do the vaccinations but I personally would have gotten it done sooner had I known beforehand.

Same for the required TB test too.

If you're a budgeting person, put aside some money for the required UNECOM homemade OMM textbook (~$30), the background check (~$125), and at least a stethoscope, johnny, scrubs and reflex hammer. Keep an eye out on the FB group in the spring when people start to sell stuff.

I posted here a few weeks ago, but now that I have accepted and put down a deposit I came up with a few more questions!

I have never lived in a "walkable" city, and that's kind of what I am looking for, at least when it comes to getting coffee, groceries, going to the park, etc (obviously only when it is not freezing). I don't mind driving to school. What are some areas in Portland that I should look at? I will not have roommates, as I am married. Are there any other areas outside of Portland that I should look at?

Is the UNE shuttle a viable option for getting to school everyday, or are there any other methods of public transport I should look into? How much is one of the passes for the turnpike? I am from the other side of the US so I have no clue how to be a Mainer!

Also, if I am going to live in Portland proper, is there a lot of traffic during the day? I get anxious driving in big cities, but I'm not sure if Portland has a typical "big city" feel.

Any other advice?

Thanks for your help!!

I can't speak to taking the shuttle every day because I personally don't live in Portland, but I have a person in my CBL who takes it most days. It seems to work well for him, its just finding buses that match with our class schedule. You aren't really going to find much else in terms to public transit in this area unfortunately.

Pass for the turnpike is $10 but that only gets you the transponder and then you have to keep loading money onto it. It does cost less per trip then paying out of pocket each time, but you do still have to keep paying. After a certain number of trips per month the rate per trip goes down as well.

If you give me examples of big cities that make you nervous to drive in I can try to help you compare them to the stress of driving in Portland because I've driven/lived in several from west coast to midwest to east coast.

Portland resident here. Copying, pasting, and editing a bit of a previous reply:

If you look at Google Maps, Portland proper is the south part of Back Cove and it is the city proper, but north of the cove is a viable option. Most of the apartments are between East End and West End, with Commercial Street in the south, and Downtown in the middle being the 'tourist', most urban parts of town. I do know people who live in areas like Rosemont, west of the city, and they have a more suburban feel. A bit of a longer walk to go somewhere at that point. I also recommend you try finding a place with a parking spot. Parking is a growing commodity since in the winter time, the city issues parking bans and forces you to move your car out of the streets in order for them to clean the snow. They issued a ban a couple of days ago and my friend had to park at the baseball field for the night otherwise they will tow your car at your expense.

You can also try South Portland around the airport but I don't know anyone who lives there, and they also give that more suburban feel. At that distance though it doesn't feel as 'walkable' in my opinion.

Commuting is a 30-40 min drive each way. Traffic is usually not heavy, even during rush hour so the commute is consistent. A lot of us living in Portland carpool so I highly recommend you reach out to other Portlanders to do your own carpooling. You get a priority carpool spot from the school too. And it's nice to have the extra company during the commute. The shuttle is there, but I never use it because you still have to drive to the Portland campus and find a place to park. I heard the shuttle is not always timely and is scheduled to arrive 10 minutes before classes start. It then leaves almost immediately after the end of class. To me driving your own car gives you so much more flexibility. Finally, so far as I know, the shuttle is oriented around the undergrad calendar that starts in September, not in July when we start so it won't even be an option for at least 2 months.

Happy to talk more about Portland living so you're welcome to PM me if you want.

When
II for 1/25 today!

When were u complete

II for 1/25 today! waited forEVER for this since i submitted pretty early, julyish I believe

Accepted from end of November interview. The waitlist rumors definitely aren’t true:)

I think I will be attending RVUCOM, but still a little torn and giving myself a few days to think it over. Anyone else in a similar predicament?

Reactions: 3 users

I’m doing the hpsp too, don’t pay attention to the fancy bells and whistles at KCU (I interviewed there too)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Accepted from end of November interview. The waitlist rumors definitely aren’t true:)

I think I will be attending RVUCOM, but still a little torn and giving myself a few days to think it over. Anyone else in a similar predicament?

Good to see they’ve changed the way they do that.

Was also accepted earlier today. Interviewed 11/28. Torn between here and DMU.. would anyone be willing to share their thoughts?

II for Jan 25th today. I applied late and was complete 12/5. Does anyone know if a late January interview is basically an interview for the waitlist at that point?

II for Jan 25th today. I applied late and was complete 12/5. Does anyone know if a late January interview is basically an interview for the waitlist at that point?
Read several posts above. I was convinced I was interviewing for a waitlist spot as were several others who were accepted. Go if you’re interested in the school.

When

When were u complete

I was complete around late august / early September since I had to retake my old MCAT in July :\. My stats are 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, went from 31 pre2015 MCAT to 513 retake.

Was also accepted earlier today. Interviewed 11/28. Torn between here and DMU.. would anyone be willing to share their thoughts?

I was torn between Western and UNECOM and made my decision to attend UNECOM. I'll explain my reasoning for pro UNECOM in bullets. I don't know much about RVUCOM or DMU but it may help you out in your own comparison of them.

- Ranks as the 11th best medical school (MD and DO) for primary care physicians <<<What I am most interested in

- Ranks as TOP ten to match with 1st choice residency program as well as top board scores <<< I wanna do what I wanna do lol

- 3rd year rotations are set at 1 site so no scrambling as described for Western <<<Friend in his residency, who went to UNR-SOM, said he did his at one site as well and it gave him lots of opportunities and loved it (opportunities like forming significant relationships for letters for residency; less stress of moving every 4 weeks and not having to relearn new rules, expectations and how to get around, etc.)

- Have 6 weeks at UNE vs 4 weeks at Western in each core rotation 3rd year

- Cost of Living is MUCH more reasonable (Ultimately reducing amount of total loan needed) <<< Very important to me

- Every student I have spoken to seems incredibly happy with their choice <<< Super important to me

- Facilities are better than Westerns

- Per 2016 Match rates it looks like UNECOM has a advantage over Western for OB/GYN, General Surgery, Emergency Medicine. <<< Not super important but these are some specialties that I have a slight interest in and don't wanna limit my opportunities.

- Semi-mandatory attendance <<<Super important to me

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I was torn between Western and UNECOM and made my decision to attend UNECOM. I'll explain my reasoning for pro UNECOM in bullets. I don't know much about RVUCOM or DMU but it may help you out in your own comparison of them.

- Ranks as the 11th best medical school (MD and DO) for primary care physicians <<<What I am most interested in

- Ranks as TOP ten to match with 1st choice residency program as well as top board scores <<< I wanna do what I wanna do lol

- 3rd year rotations are set at 1 site so no scrambling as described for Western <<<Friend in his residency, who went to UNR-SOM, said he did his at one site as well and it gave him lots of opportunities and loved it (opportunities like forming significant relationships for letters for residency; less stress of moving every 4 weeks and not having to relearn new rules, expectations and how to get around, etc.)

- Cost of Living is MUCH more reasonable (Ultimately reducing amount of total loan needed) <<< Very important to me

- Every student I have spoken to seems incredibly happy with their choice <<< Super important to me

- Per 2016 Match rates it looks like UNECOM has a advantage over Western for OB/GYN, General Surgery, Emergency Medicine. <<< Not super important but these are some specialties that I have a slight interest in and don't wanna limit my opportunities.

Yeah I’m in the SMP at western and it’s crap. Soooooooo glad I got accepted here.

Great!

Congratulations! Decisions are tough! I really liked certain aspects of each of the programs that I am considering. Good luck making your choice!

Congratulations! Decisions are tough! I really liked certain aspects of each of the programs that I am considering. Good luck making your choice!
Congratulations to both of you!! I interviewed a few weeks ago and this week received an email thanking me for coming to interview and detailing some of the educational and clinical rotations UNE has to offer "as I consider where to go to medical school"...does everyone that interviews at UNE get that email? It got my hopes up, but haven't heard anything else yet.

Congratulations to both of you!! I interviewed a few weeks ago and this week received an email thanking me for coming to interview and detailing some of the educational and clinical rotations UNE has to offer "as I consider where to go to medical school"...does everyone that interviews at UNE get that email? It got my hopes up, but haven't heard anything else yet.
I got that email a day or two ago, don’t think it means anything :)

I lost the packet they gave us in the interview. Can anyone post the rotation sites? I know it's different from the ones from last year.

Hi everyone, I just received an interview invite for UNECOM scheduled for January! I was really excited to receive it, as this was actually one of the top 3 schools I wanted to attend, and I was a bit sad when I didn't heard from them a month or two back. I have already put down a deposit at a school that was also a top choice for me for matriculation next year because that deadline came and went... However, I am kind of bummed about having to say No to UNECOM.

For those of you who have interviewed here, how did you feel about the school, faculty and students? I have seen a few interview tips here, but I wanted to get a feel for the general vibe and impression that other interviewees have gotten from their time spent at UNECOM/Biddeford. Although an aesthetic quality, the photographs of Biddeford in the Fall, Spring and Summer are so beautiful that they make me want to go up there and check the school out! Thank you.

I have the same dilemma as you! I have until Tuesday to tell UNECOM as to whether or not I am attending, but with a hefty deposit already down, I am nervous as to whether or not the additional expenses involved with traveling to Maine are worth it -_-

Hi everyone, I just received an interview invite for UNECOM scheduled for January! I was really excited to receive it, as this was actually one of the top 3 schools I wanted to attend, and I was a bit sad when I didn't heard from them a month or two back. I have already put down a deposit at a school that was also a top choice for me for matriculation next year because that deadline came and went... However, I am kind of bummed about having to say No to UNECOM.

For those of you who have interviewed here, how did you feel about the school, faculty and students? I have seen a few interview tips here, but I wanted to get a feel for the general vibe and impression that other interviewees have gotten from their time spent at UNECOM/Biddeford. Although an aesthetic quality, the photographs of Biddeford in the Fall, Spring and Summer are so beautiful that they make me want to go up there and check the school out! Thank you.
Everyone was happy and positive about the school. I along with my three interviewers laughed throughout my interview. I came out of the interview smiling and knew this was the school I wanted to go to.

Everyone was happy and positive about the school. I along with my three interviewers laughed throughout my interview. I came out of the interview smiling and knew this was the school I wanted to go to.
Is the interview not 1:1?