You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Virginia Tech Carilion
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Can someone shed light on what they mean by "significant research experience"? Because I have a full semesters worth of biomedical research but no publications from it, and I just wanna know where the bar sorta stands. Thanks!
i have four years of experience, one year at a paid research institution but no publications either. so probably not as "significant" as they want, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed. i actually met a VTC student briefly while i was volunteering at a local hospital the other week and he was super cool. hoping extra hard for an ii.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nice! What is your interview date?II today, complete early September, OOS & very average stats. Really excited for this opportunity!
II today! Complete mid September, IS. Interview is in January. Super excited right now 

II today as well! Great surprise 🙂 OOS, complete early September
Rejection post secondary yesterday, OOS, complete 10/14/17. Good luck everyone!
Lizzy M or stats?
Anyone interviewing Dec. 2 wanna split a hotel room? I have to stay 2 nights.
Do letters of interest/ updates help for Vtc?
Do letters of interest/ updates help for Vtc?
Second that question (I'm on hold to be reviewed again in April)
Second that question (I'm on hold to be reviewed again in April)
How do you know that you're on hold till April? Is this post-II or pre? I haven't heard anything from this school yet but really keeping fingers crossed here
How do you know that you're on hold till April? Is this post-II or pre? I haven't heard anything from this school yet but really keeping fingers crossed here
Post interview, they emailed saying my app will be in the "active-status pool eligible for selection in the April round of acceptances"
Did you interview in August or September?Post interview, they emailed saying my app will be in the "active-status pool eligible for selection in the April round of acceptances"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do letters of interest/ updates help for Vtc?
Absolutely. I sent a substantial update way back when I was on the waitlist, and it definitely helped me secure an acceptance.
Did you get off the waitlist in april? or did you get in before? I am still not completely clear on how the whole active pool thing works lol.Absolutely. I sent a substantial update way back when I was on the waitlist, and it definitely helped me secure an acceptance.
Did you interview in August or September?
September!
Edward Via is actually not affiliated with Virginia Tech, despite being in Blacksburg. Notice that there is no VT in the name and they have their own "-.edu" (whereas VTC is actually a ".vt.edu"). Their are certain partnerships between the schools, but no official affiliation.
I hope you didn't apply here / interview without knowing anything about the school. They operate under a private-public collaboration with Virginia Tech (and with Auburn for the Alabama campus) and are most certainly "affiliated" with Tech (and Auburn). Students get to enjoy all the privileges of being a Virginia Tech student in regards to library use, school recreational use, etc. In fact, VCOM students are actively involved in setting up clinics for undergrad students on campus and shadowing the team physician (who is a DO) for all athletic events.
As far as ".edu" goes, all faculty, staff and students are assigned a "@vcom.vt.edu" email so you are dead wrong on that as well.
As for the original question of why the DO school is in Blacksburg - it was founded first. Additionally, there is no major teaching hospital in Blacksburg whereas there is (the Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital - level 1 trauma center) in Roanoke. It wouldn't make any sense for an MD school high on research to physically settle in Blacksburg as opposed to Roanoke.
Attachments
I withdrew ii. Hope it goes out to one of you 🙂
I considered sending a thank-you to the surgeon that did my 20 minute interview, but I also felt concerned that it was overkill. Thoughts?Hope everyone is doing well! 🙂 For those that have interviewed, did any of you send a thank you note? If so, to whom? Also...was it old school mail or email? Thanks.
Did you email the update to somehow, or how did you go about such?Absolutely. I sent a substantial update way back when I was on the waitlist, and it definitely helped me secure an acceptance.
This thread is quiet. Has anyone from mid-October interviews heard anything?
Anyone know the date that the December decisions are coming out? for those that interviewed first weekend of Oct? Should be this week from what I remember....
I was able to get my one on one interviewers email at the very end and sent her a thank-you. thats it! I didn't send any others.Hope everyone is doing well! 🙂 For those that have interviewed, did any of you send a thank you note? If so, to whom? Also...was it old school mail or email? Thanks.
I think they start calling accepted students of the October, November, and December interview groups the third week of December.Anyone know the date that the December decisions are coming out? for those that interviewed first weekend of Oct? Should be this week from what I remember....
I called and they said Dec 19th!I think they start calling accepted students of the October, November, and December interview groups the third week of December.
WOW, that is awesome. Thanks for doing that!!I called and they said Dec 19th!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The anticipation is killing me. Loved this school and it seemed like the perfect fit but I think I bombed one of the stations...she literally told me I was wrong.
😱
😱
If it makes you feel better, with MMI i have heard that you can totally bomb a station and definitely still get in, a lot of times they drop your lowest score. good luck!The anticipation is killing me. Loved this school and it seemed like the perfect fit but I think I bombed one of the stations...she literally told me I was wrong.
😱
If it makes you feel better, with MMI i have heard that you can totally bomb a station and definitely still get in, a lot of times they drop your lowest score. good luck!
Oh wow hopefully! Thanks you too!!!
Do you know if your portal changed? I interviewed early November as well but no call 🙁Acceptance call this morning!!!
OOS but went here for undergrad. Interviewed 11/4
Just checked and portal has not changed yet. They said I would get an official email later so I'm assuming the portal would change then? I'm sure they're making calls throughout the day so I wouldn't worry!!
Do you know if your portal changed? I interviewed early November as well but no call 🙁
Does anyone know if they're changing the portal today? or what percentage of acceptances they're making today?Acceptance call this morning!!!
OOS but went here for undergrad. Interviewed 11/4
In this round of acceptances, they won't accept more than 50% of the class. I found that from an earlier thread.Does anyone know if they're changing the portal today? or what percentage of acceptances they're making today?
In this round of acceptances, they won't accept more than 50% of the class. I found that from an earlier thread.
mixed feelings
I interviewed 10/7 and haven't heard back.... bad sign???
Idk how they are doing the calls. Like are they doing by the interview date or the group color? Our best bet is to pray and hope that we will get ours later today or tomorrow. Best of luck!I interviewed 10/7 and haven't heard back.... bad sign???
Thanks!! Yeah I guess so... it seems only one person has posted on here so far, not that there haven't been others. Best of luck to you too!Idk how they are doing the calls. Like are they doing by the interview date or the group color? Our best bet is to pray and hope that we will get ours later today or tomorrow. Best of luck!
Accepted via phone call this morning.
congrats! when did you interview?Accepted via phone call this morning.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will they continue to call tomorrow, and do they accept by email instead of phone as well?
No they'll call you before they send the email out about your acceptance. Unfortunately I received no call this morning and think we move into the group that didn't get inWill they continue to call tomorrow, and do they accept by email instead of phone as well?
Welcome to the active pool lol. It just means you'll have to wait until march/april for a final decision. It seems like they do a decent number of acceptances so just continue improving your application!No they'll call you before they send the email out about your acceptance. Unfortunately I received no call this morning and think we move into the group that didn't get in
So, I am impatient and decided to call haha, they are making acceptance calls today and tomorrow if we don't receive a call by tomorrow they are sending out emails and we can basically be guaranteed to be pushed to the next consideration date
*"Welcome to hell."Welcome to the active pool lol. It just means you'll have to wait until march/april for a final decision. It seems like they do a decent number of acceptances so just continue improving your application!