2017-2018 Virginia Tech Carilion

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those in the active pool, we were told we would be considered for admission, again, in the April round of acceptances. It seems like those interviewed post-December, were told March. I am pretty sure it is going to be one or the other though, since they have three rounds of acceptances and have already gone through two of those three.
So yeah I interviewed in Jan, and I thought I remembered March but I wasn’t sure if anyone had a specific date or something? Like is March the end of it?
 
For those in the active pool, we were told we would be considered for admission, again, in the April round of acceptances. It seems like those interviewed post-December, were told March. I am pretty sure it is going to be one or the other though, since they have three rounds of acceptances and have already gone through two of those three.
So do we know if the pre-january interviews find out the same day as the post-january interviews? Since we were told April and they were told early March?
 
So yeah I interviewed in Jan, and I thought I remembered March but I wasn’t sure if anyone had a specific date or something? Like is March the end of it?
Also I thought only one round of acceptances had passed? When was the second one?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
April is really late. Not only for those who are awaiting a decision, but for those who are waitlisted at VTC. Financial aid, housing, leaving current job, all these things take time. I hope they release decisions by March so we can all make arrangements sooner. I know VTC is a smaller school and very personable but please hurry!
 
Appreciate that! We can update them by email in addition to the online portal? If so, I may just email certain updates..
so how often have you been updating/how significant an event or occurrence do you deem appropriate for an update? I have no clue, I've just been doing things.
 
so how often have you been updating/how significant an event or occurrence do you deem appropriate for an update? I have no clue, I've just been doing things.
Haha that is hard to answer. Significance of an event or occurrence all depends on your application really. I think, for me, it came down to what I have done at my job since the interview.. And if an abstract is written etc.. I will update them on that and continue to update on important things I am continuing in my life from my initial application. As far as updates, I have updated once.
 
Haha that is hard to answer. Significance of an event or occurrence all depends on your application really. I think, for me, it came down to what I have done at my job since the interview.. And if an abstract is written etc.. I will update them on that and continue to update on important things I am continuing in my life from my initial application. As far as updates, I have updated once.
fuuuuuuuuck I updated two or three times. One school I updated like 5 times and implied that I had overdone the updates and they were like nah you good son.
 
So I just noticed the VTC website Timeline/Deadlines says: "March 15 - By AMCAS regulations, Virginia Tech Carilion issues 42 acceptances". Wonder if this only applies to post-December interviewees, perhaps? Not sure why they would tell some people April otherwise...

From my interview (12/2), I clearly should've taken note, but I remember mention of March and April in reference to admissions decisions.
 
So I just noticed the VTC website Timeline/Deadlines says: "March 15 - By AMCAS regulations, Virginia Tech Carilion issues 42 acceptances". Wonder if this only applies to post-December interviewees, perhaps? Not sure why they would tell some people April otherwise...

From my interview (12/2), I clearly should've taken note, but I remember mention of March and April in reference to admissions decisions.

March 15th is when VTC must have accepted their class size, which is 42 spots, per AMCAS regulations. However, VTC Admissions mentioned that they will typically place other interviewed students in an "active status pool", from which they will draw more acceptances should spaces become available later in the cycle. Hope that helps!
 
March 15th is when VTC must have accepted their class size, which is 42 spots, per AMCAS regulations. However, VTC Admissions mentioned that they will typically place other interviewed students in an "active status pool", from which they will draw more acceptances should spaces become available later in the cycle. Hope that helps!
Very helpful. thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is now the time for letters of Intent? Also, what do you write in a letter of intent?
Like: "I hereby declare that I want to come here super duper bad and will do so if you let me. Yours forever, Mcatsaymeow"
plz sign your letter like that.
 
For those who interviewed in January/February, did VTC Admissions provide you a date in March for when they would extend acceptances? Thanks!
 
Nope! But for some reason I remember coming away with the impression it would be towards the end of March
For those who interviewed in January/February, did VTC Admissions provide you a date in March for when they would extend acceptances? Thanks!
 
To those accepted this morning, congratulations!!
Quick question: did they call you from the admissions office number or a different zip code? I have a missed call on my phone but am unable to check due to work currently.
 
Congratulations to everyone who was accepted today! 🙂

For those who were accepted, did any of you send updates/LOI post-interview? If so, what types of items did you deem pertinent enough to address? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations to everyone who was accepted today! 🙂

For those who were accepted, did any of you send updates/LOI post-interview? If so, what types of items did you deem pertinent enough to address? Thanks!
I didn't send any post interview updates.
 
For those interested in the research at VTCSOM, the 4th year students will be presenting tomorrow, March 23rd! The oral presentations will be broadcast live on YouTube. Here's a link to the school website:

VTCSOM Medical Student Research Symposium 2018 |

Edit: Here's the link to the YouTube Site for the research oral presentation broadcast, which starts around noon (according to the website):

 
Last edited:
Hello all I just got my financial aid information today, I just want to confirm the tuition remission scholarship is only for M1 correct? Then the other 3 years are full priced?
Yeah, I was wondering that too. The email left it unclear whether it's possible to get remission scholarships for the subsequent years as well. I imagine it's unlikely or they would've been more explicit about it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad