2017-2018 Virginia Tech Carilion

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I am impatient and decided to call haha, they are making acceptance calls today and tomorrow if we don't receive a call by tomorrow they are sending out emails and we can basically be guaranteed to be pushed to the next consideration date
You're a kind soul to call.

Do you know if they're going to do rolling acceptances after this or will it be like two days in two months and then waitlisted and case by case basis?
 
Welcome to the active pool lol. It just means you'll have to wait until march/april for a final decision. It seems like they do a decent number of acceptances so just continue improving your application!
So no rejections are sent out in December? Those who did not receive a call are in the active pool?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So no rejections are sent out in December? Those who did not receive a call are in the active pool?
Seemed that way! Basically if we don't receive a phone call by tomorrow telling us we are accepted than they made it sound like we will eventually receive an email letting us know we are in the active pool to be considered the next time the committee meets.
 
Does anyone have any advice on flights to VTC? Is flying to Roanoke the best option? Its very expensive....was looking at flights to Charlottesville, VA and renting a car for a lot less money
 
Does anyone have any advice on flights to VTC? Is flying to Roanoke the best option? Its very expensive....was looking at flights to Charlottesville, VA and renting a car for a lot less money
Follow up question - for those of you that have interviewed, is a 5:45 flight out of ROA possible? They said the day should end around 3:30
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any advice on flights to VTC? Is flying to Roanoke the best option? Its very expensive....was looking at flights to Charlottesville, VA and renting a car for a lot less money

sometimes a flight into lynchburg can be cheaper. Lynchburg is about 45min away and I know there is a bus that goes between Roanoke and Lynchburg and they are opening a passenger rail service between the 2 towns but I have no idea when that opens. Its been a lil while since I lived there.
 
Any word from this school and anyone know when their last interviewing date is? From what I could tell from last year's thread, it looked like they only went up to Feb 11 with interviewing
 
Any word from this school and anyone know when their last interviewing date is? From what I could tell from last year's thread, it looked like they only went up to Feb 11 with interviewing
They interview once a month and the last one is the second saturday of february
 
Just got an II for Feb.10th. Will I basically be interviewing for the waitlist? Not sure if I should go because it's quite expensive and I have an acceptance from a school that I would be happy going to.
 
Just got an II for Feb.10th. Will I basically be interviewing for the waitlist? Not sure if I should go because it's quite expensive and I have an acceptance from a school that I would be happy going to.

If you know 100% you want to attend that school, I would withdraw and give the interview to someone else. If you are curious about VTC, I would invest the money into flying out there to take a better look at their program. It's truly unique, and I am looking forward to my interview here this weekend!
 
If you know 100% you want to attend that school, I would withdraw and give the interview to someone else. If you are curious about VTC, I would invest the money into flying out there to take a better look at their program. It's truly unique, and I am looking forward to my interview here this weekend!
I'm not a 100% set on going to that school. Does anyone know if lectures are mandatory at Virginia Tech? And is it Pass/fail?
 
Is it safe to assume that if we haven't received an interview invite that we are rejected at this point? I know February is their last interview date
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody know the difference between letter of intent and letter of interest? It's on the "update my application" page on their applicant portal. I am just curious as to what the difference is as I've seen them used interchangeably.
 
Does anybody know the difference between letter of intent and letter of interest? It's on the "update my application" page on their applicant portal. I am just curious as to what the difference is as I've seen them used interchangeably.
Letter of interest is basically just reiterating why you are interested in that school. A letter of intent is saying if you get into that school you will go. You can send as many letters of interest as you want, it would be disingenuous to send more than one letter of intent.
 
I read that clinicals are also true P/F with no honors (but ability to get letters of distinction). Would anyone be able to comment on this?
 
I read that clinicals are also true P/F with no honors (but ability to get letters of distinction). Would anyone be able to comment on this?

Hi. I am a current M1 at the school, and can attest that all of our educational domains (basic science, clinical, research, and IPL) are true P/F. Letters of distinction can be awarded in each of these domains for students to include in their residency applications based on academic performance and/or faculty recommendation.
 
Hi. I am a current M1 at the school, and can attest that all of our educational domains (basic science, clinical, research, and IPL) are true P/F. Letters of distinction can be awarded in each of these domains for students to include in their residency applications based on academic performance and/or faculty recommendation.
Hey. Do you mind answering a few questions for me. What's your day typically like? Also, how is the PBL curriculum set up? Is it hard to adjust to? Thanks!!
 
Hi. I am a current M1 at the school, and can attest that all of our educational domains (basic science, clinical, research, and IPL) are true P/F. Letters of distinction can be awarded in each of these domains for students to include in their residency applications based on academic performance and/or faculty recommendation.

Yeah I have questions too! can we ask you? 🙂

Thanks so much
 
Hey. Do you mind answering a few questions for me. What's your day typically like? Also, how is the PBL curriculum set up? Is it hard to adjust to? Thanks!!

Certainly.

My day to day schedule as an M1 varies quite a bit, and it is hard to get into specifics. However, I will give you a general idea of what the curriculum is like, which I believe is what you are trying to get at. The schedule is currently set up where all of our basic science lectures are set up in the morning (8AM-12PM). These lectures are not mandatory, but are available for individuals who prefer to learn in a more lecture format. Interspersed within these lecture times is PBL. As VTC prides themselves in centering their curriculum on PBL, you will actually be spending a large amount of time presenting and discussing clinical cases in small groups. Accordingly, cases are written by clinicians and intimately linked with the material that you are currently learning in the lectures. For example, if you are learning about metabolism during one of your weeks, you can bet that your PBL case most likely has some type of metabolic issue. The PBLs are mandatory, and you are expected to present on relevant topics correlated to both the material learned from basic science lecture and corresponding clinical material.

Personally, I enjoy PBL. It is a different way of learning that I feel engages me with the expectations of what is expected of me when I hit clerkships in my subsequent years. While the basic science I learn from lecture (e.g. physiology, anatomy, embryology, pharmacology...) helps me understand how the body functions, PBL allows me to practice my differential skills and apply clinical findings from labs/physical examinations to a potential causes of what is happening. In addition, PBL is a great way to get a head start on understanding clinical language, thought processes, and develop essential communication skills as a doctor. By getting all of this practice early on in your years, you won't feel as intimidated as a student when you step into the wards and are expected to present your findings to the attending on a day to day basis. PBL gives you a safe and simulated environment to hone such skills amongst your peers and a chosen faculty facilitator.

In terms of adjusting to the curriculum, I do admit it is difficult in the beginning simply because you have no real understanding of what to expect. Naturally, some adjust quicker than others, but regardless of your pace, there is plenty of resources that the school offers for free to make sure you have all the help you need. This includes student tutoring, open office hours, and a variety of free practice test materials in the library. In addition, with the way the school is set up, you get to know your PBL group very well. As you are each going through this as newbies, everyone tends to form very close-knit relationships with their group including sharing resources, holding tutoring sessions, and looking out for one another. It definitely makes a huge difference in the experience you may have at say a school with a bigger class. You get to know all your classmates, and it becomes a huge benefit!

Hopefully, this answers your question. Feel free to PM or reach out if you have more.
 
Certainly.

My day to day schedule as an M1 varies quite a bit, and it is hard to get into specifics. However, I will give you a general idea of what the curriculum is like, which I believe is what you are trying to get at. The schedule is currently set up where all of our basic science lectures are set up in the morning (8AM-12PM). These lectures are not mandatory, but are available for individuals who prefer to learn in a more lecture format. Interspersed within these lecture times is PBL. As VTC prides themselves in centering their curriculum on PBL, you will actually be spending a large amount of time presenting and discussing clinical cases in small groups. Accordingly, cases are written by clinicians and intimately linked with the material that you are currently learning in the lectures. For example, if you are learning about metabolism during one of your weeks, you can bet that your PBL case most likely has some type of metabolic issue. The PBLs are mandatory, and you are expected to present on relevant topics correlated to both the material learned from basic science lecture and corresponding clinical material.

Personally, I enjoy PBL. It is a different way of learning that I feel engages me with the expectations of what is expected of me when I hit clerkships in my subsequent years. While the basic science I learn from lecture (e.g. physiology, anatomy, embryology, pharmacology...) helps me understand how the body functions, PBL allows me to practice my differential skills and apply clinical findings from labs/physical examinations to a potential causes of what is happening. In addition, PBL is a great way to get a head start on understanding clinical language, thought processes, and develop essential communication skills as a doctor. By getting all of this practice early on in your years, you won't feel as intimidated as a student when you step into the wards and are expected to present your findings to the attending on a day to day basis. PBL gives you a safe and simulated environment to hone such skills amongst your peers and a chosen faculty facilitator.

In terms of adjusting to the curriculum, I do admit it is difficult in the beginning simply because you have no real understanding of what to expect. Naturally, some adjust quicker than others, but regardless of your pace, there is plenty of resources that the school offers for free to make sure you have all the help you need. This includes student tutoring, open office hours, and a variety of free practice test materials in the library. In addition, with the way the school is set up, you get to know your PBL group very well. As you are each going through this as newbies, everyone tends to form very close-knit relationships with their group including sharing resources, holding tutoring sessions, and looking out for one another. It definitely makes a huge difference in the experience you may have at say a school with a bigger class. You get to know all your classmates, and it becomes a huge benefit!

Hopefully, this answers your question. Feel free to PM or reach out if you have more.

Thanks so much for your thorough answer!!
 
Last edited:
I'm guessing if we didn't hear back by now, it's a rejection right? I think the last interview date is tomorrow
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And when did they say acceptances go out next? March?
For those in the active pool, we were told we would be considered for admission, again, in the April round of acceptances. It seems like those interviewed post-December, were told March. I am pretty sure it is going to be one or the other though, since they have three rounds of acceptances and have already gone through two of those three.