2018-2019 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Called this school the other day, and looks like they are really focusing on the Inland empire and CA students. Their average MCAT for the first class was around 512-513 and they are seating a class of 90 students in 2019. So if you are OOS, it helps to have good stats or some sort of CA connection!

Damn I thought getting a secondary meant that they somewhat liked you but I guess it doesn’t mean much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Are you
Damn I thought getting a secondary meant that they somewhat liked you but I guess it doesn’t mean much

If you live in the IE or you're a Cali resident then I highly encourage you to submit that secondary.

Are you

If you live in the IE or you're a Cali resident then I highly encourage you to submit that secondary.

Hahah I couldn’t be further! But I’ve already submit my secondary

Members don't see this ad :)

I'd say it means something. They'll end up sending secondaries to about 50% of people who submitted a primary. So if you've gotten a secondary you've already made one cut.

If you're OOS, my rough estimate is that the current class is made up of about 15%ish of OOS. So take that as you will to make a decision.

Other than that (for everybody), remember that they do tend to see beyond stats. So if you feel you are below their average for MCAT and/or GPA but have other interesting aspects or depth to your application, I'd still say its worth a shot.

Hahah I couldn’t be further! But I’ve already submit my secondary

Nice! Regardless of the posted data don't be discouraged. If they sent you a secondary then that's a good sign.

Reactions: 1 user
Appreciate it guys! Would love to attend here. Hoping the best for all of y’all !

Can anyone who interviewed last year please speak to what the interview day was like

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone who interviewed last year please speak to what the interview day was like

It's been a while so I'll do my best to recall everything correctly. However, the exact order in which you do these things may be a bit off. As far as I can recall:

- You arrive, snack, sit down and go through presentations about the curriculum, talk with the dean or the president maybe, more presentations, etc.
- I think you'll get a quick tour of the facility.
- Lunch with faculty.
- Interview (1-on-1; 20-40 mins or so, depends on the person, questions seem to vary interviewer to interviewer quite a bit)
- Team exercise (a team based activity done with people at your table meant to showcase how well you work in a group)
- Personality inventory (30-45 mins, similar to Myers-Briggs; they have claimed it doesn't play a role in admissions, just for grouping if you are admitted but I'm not totally convinced)
- Resilience test (10-15 mins; I think this does play a role in admissions; just a short questionnaire determining your 'resilience')
- Tour of Arrowhead Regional Medical Center (site of 3rd year clerkships; was optional last time but most people went; some left if they had to catch a flight)

A may have missed a small thing or two but that's most of it. Overall the faculty if very friendly and no one tries to make you feel on edge. However, they whole day should be treated like an interview. Be a team player, be personable and do your best, because while everyone is friendly, they are also actively trying to gauge if you'll be a good fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed at my fair share of places with a LizzyM of 65 and was ultimately accepted. Don't fret yet. A lot more goes into it than pure numbers nowadays. Always assume you're not getting in and be working on that reapplication (I'd recommend that to anyone regardless of LizzyM score) but definitely don't give up hope this early in the game. Good luck.
Just curious, where did you apply? If you don't mind PMing me!

Hey guys, I submitted my primary to this school relatively late, like mid september, i realized that secondaries went out around september 4th according to the thread, does this mean I won't get the secondary? I have a Lizzy ~68. I got secondaries from all the schools I applied except this one :( i really want to go here

Just curious, where did you apply? If you don't mind PMing me!

No problem. Sent you a PM.

Hey guys, I submitted my primary to this school relatively late, like mid september, i realized that secondaries went out around september 4th according to the thread, does this mean I won't get the secondary? I have a Lizzy ~68. I got secondaries from all the schools I applied except this one :( i really want to go here

I'm almost certain more secondaries will go out. If you don't get one it's probably because they didn't think you'd be a good fit for the school for some reason. But, as of now, you're definitely still in the game. The last wave of secondaries was the first and only wave so far, there will be more.

I interviewed at my fair share of places with a LizzyM of 65 and was ultimately accepted. Don't fret yet. A lot more goes into it than pure numbers nowadays. Always assume you're not getting in and be working on that reapplication (I'd recommend that to anyone regardless of LizzyM score) but definitely don't give up hope this early in the game. Good luck.

Hi Apothecary Aquinas, I was inspired to create an SDN account because I followed your journey from last year's Cal Med thread. I think it's awesome you received multiple interviews, especially with a LizzyM score of 65. I am very much in the same boat with my LizzyM score.

This is my dream school as I am fairly local in SoCal. Fingers crossed :)

Last edited:
Did anyone else receive a "Secondary Received" confirmation email 4-5 days after submitting their secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent me an interview invite by accident before I even submitted a secondary!
:hardy:
Obviously it was a mistake and I still need to complete the secondary

They sent me an interview invite by accident before I even submitted a secondary!
:hardy:
Obviously it was a mistake and I still need to complete the secondary

Wow that is so odd haha. I wish you the best of luck on receiving the real interview invite email.

Around what time did they send you the email? And even though the invite may have been sent erroneously, did you have the ability to actually reserve an interview spot?

Hmm I got an II too, and I haven't sent in my secondary yet...maybe it's not a mistake?

It was a mistake, unfortunately. The admissions team has resolved it. I wish you the best of luck on receiving the actual interview invitation.

I am thinking the next II wave will be October 2nd.

Last edited:
It was a mistake, unfortunately. The admissions team has resolved it. I wish you the best of luck on receiving the actual interview invitation.

I am thinking the next II wave will be October 2nd.

What makes you think October 2nd?

What makes you think October 2nd?

It seems that there is activity every Tuesday, and I am guessing this is when the admissions committee convenes. There were no II's given this week (at least not among the SDN users), so I am guessing they will give some out next week.

I added this school pretty late (end of Aug I think) and haven't received a secondary yet, anyone else still waiting for one? Also do you guys think it's work it to call and see if I'm still being considered at least? (IS and got secondaries from all the UCs so kinda expected to get a secondary from here as well even with the screening)

Hey, just wondering if you ever got the secondary for this school? Debating if I should call or email as well to see if they didn't forget about me!

Hey, just wondering if you ever got the secondary for this school? Debating if I should call or email as well to see if they didn't forget about me!
I'm in the same boat! Submitted my primary to them on 9/6.

Yeah, really hoping they send it soon, especially if interview invites are going out like crazy!
If anything, people will turn down acceptances/II as they get into their top choices or decide they don't want to do private loans.

It seems that there is activity every Tuesday, and I am guessing this is when the admissions committee convenes. There were no II's given this week (at least not among the SDN users), so I am guessing they will give some out next week.

Definitely hope you’re right and I am one da lucky ones

Anyone have any idea what the average MCAT is?

Called this school the other day, and looks like they are really focusing on the Inland empire and CA students. Their average MCAT for the first class was around 512-513 and they are seating a class of 90 students in 2019. So if you are OOS, it helps to have good stats or some sort of CA connection!

Never really lived in CA but was technically born there. Does that count hehe

Never really lived in CA but was technically born there. Does that count hehe

Haha yeah I would say any ties to California would help! And they will look at your entire app holistically, so you can try your shot if you feel your app is good.

Tfw you're from the IE and have a higher MCAT than their average but still haven't heard back, feelsbadman

Tfw you're from the IE and have a higher MCAT than their average but still haven't heard back, feelsbadman

I think you will hear soon! At least based on what the women mentioned on the phone, they really like IE applicants.

I think you will hear soon! At least based on what the women mentioned on the phone, they really like IE applicants.

God I hope so, at this point I can use any and all good news. This is the school I think I have the best shot at so I'm really banking on it

God I hope so, at this point I can use any and all good news. This is the school I think I have the best shot at so I'm really banking on it
Is it true they are already scheduled out until February?

Is it true they are already scheduled out until February?

According to other people in this thread, yes. I wouldn’t know because I haven’t received an II

Welp so much for some news this Tuesday :p

Reactions: 1 users
Dang I should have turned around my secondary faster. Totally missed that massive II wave a few weeks ago

Is it too late to submit a secondary? I should be able to have in done within the next day or so...

Is it too late to submit a secondary? I should be able to have in done within the next day or so...
I am wondering the same thing. I was freaking out about my interview that I pushed this secondary out of my mind, now I am wondering if I should complete it or if it will be throwing away $100.

Has anyone else not received a secondary OR a rejection email yet? I got their "we got your primary application" email in July, and then haven't heard anything since. Am I silently rejected?

Feel like I'm taking crazy pills...

It's been over 3 weeks since any news. I wonder when the next batch of interview invites will go out.

Has anyone attended an interview yet?

I am wondering the same thing. I was freaking out about my interview that I pushed this secondary out of my mind, now I am wondering if I should complete it or if it will be throwing away $100.
You should still submit. There's still a chance people with later interviews will cancel when they hear back from other schools within a shorter time frame.

It's been over 3 weeks since any news. I wonder when the next batch of interview invites will go out.

Has anyone attended an interview yet?

It’s been exactly a month since I got the complete email and still nothing. Wondering if they’re going to hold off until after next week before they start making decisions again

It’s been exactly a month since I got the complete email and still nothing. Wondering if they’re going to hold off until after next week before they start making decisions again

My guess would be that they will open up more slots after Oct 15th. When I scheduled my interview with CUSM they were booked all the way through Feb. People will probably drop their interviews if they get accepted to their top choice school and it should open up more spots for you guys

My guess would be that they will open up more slots after Oct 15th. When I scheduled my interview with CUSM they were booked all the way through Feb. People will probably drop their interviews if they get accepted to their top choice school and it should open up more spots for you guys

Right, that’s what I’m thinking. Though I don’t think they’ll send out anything with regards to that next week. Probably wait until at least a week past October 15th

Has anyone else not received a secondary OR a rejection email yet? I got their "we got your primary application" email in July, and then haven't heard anything since. Am I silently rejected?

Feel like I'm taking crazy pills...

I have not received a secondary, but I emailed them and they said they are slowly going through apps and that secondaries will continue to be sent out until november. so hopefully we receive one! this is the only school i didnt receive one from :(

I have not received a secondary, but I emailed them and they said they are slowly going through apps and that secondaries will continue to be sent out until november. so hopefully we receive one! this is the only school i didnt receive one from :(
I am pretty confident you will get one if you're from the IE or California in general.