2018-2019 Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dartmouth takes foreverrrrrr. Come on SOM, I gave you a 100 now get with the deciding! Shame we can't do a credit card refund-due-to-services-not-rendered thing with med schools (or can we? :thinking:).
Try it and let us know lol

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

Do u think they’ve just made there decision and waiting on the md program to make there decision? Also does anyone know if any of the medical schools are open right now?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do u think they’ve just made there decision and waiting on the md program to make there decision? Also does anyone know if any of the medical schools are open right now?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Probably closed, at least till Monday, most students aren’t back till after next week

anyone know where most students live?
most students live nearby in Lebanon, West Lebanon, Sachem Village is popular for the NH side. For Vermont, Areas like Quechee, white river junction, and Woodstock are popular. some people do live in Hanover. a lot of people also room together in the class. I would say that most people are within 15-20 min from campus my place will probably be up for rent in March when people start getting more acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected just now. OOS, LM 68, complete late July

Any of my August crew still waiting to hear back pre-II? (Aug. 31st here)

Reactions: 9 users
:cold: made the tough choice to withdraw from my interview here today...really hope it goes to one of you! Dartmouth seems like an amazing school

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Both my SO and I have applied here and neither of us have heard anything. Since they seem to be interested in students with a strong support system, would it be useful to mention this if I send an update with my fall marks and my SO sends an update with new research sent for publication?

Just received an II here earlier today. Pretty excited about this school.

Reactions: 3 users
:cold: made the tough choice to withdraw from my interview here today...really hope it goes to one of you! Dartmouth seems like an amazing school
Same here :(
Hoping two of you guys get good news soon!

Reactions: 1 user
I was complete July 18th and haven't heard anything since...is this at all typical for Dartmouth?

Almost M2 at Geisel here! Let me know if you have any questions about the application process, etc!

Good luck!
I am pretty late on this, but out of curiosity: I know Geisel is very non-trad friendly, however I see on their financial aid website they only offer $16,000 a year for all non-tuition expenses. Hanover is a very expensive area, so how do the students with families (at least initially) afford housing on such a limited budget? Even Sachem village is more expensive than the allowance...

I am pretty late on this, but out of curiosity: I know Geisel is very non-trad friendly, however I see on their financial aid website they only offer $16,000 a year for all non-tuition expenses. Hanover is a very expensive area, so how do the students with families (at least initially) afford housing on such a limited budget? Even Sachem village is more expensive than the allowance...
No problem! There is flexibility with FA, the budget is just an average of everyone's expenses. They make additional allotments for family expenses (especially daycare, etc.) so you just have to talk to them. Also, you will find more affordable housing if you venture outside of the Hanover/Lebanon area. It's so inflated near those places, so look in VT or within 15-20 min driving area. I'd recommend looking early if possible and locking something down. After match, all the incoming residents grab what's available.

No problem! There is flexibility with FA, the budget is just an average of everyone's expenses. They make additional allotments for family expenses (especially daycare, etc.) so you just have to talk to them. Also, you will find more affordable housing if you venture outside of the Hanover/Lebanon area. It's so inflated near those places, so look in VT or within 15-20 min driving area. I'd recommend looking early if possible and locking something down. After match, all the incoming residents grab what's available.
So, do people only live in Sachem village or Lebanon if their spouse is making a significant amount? Also, how are the spouse job opportunities (my wife is also a student in graphic design, if that helps [altough this is a more specific question])

So, do people only live in Sachem village or Lebanon if their spouse is making a significant amount? Also, how are the spouse job opportunities (my wife is also a student in graphic design, if that helps [altough this is a more specific question])

I don't have a spouse and I live in Sachem (I have one roommate). I personally think it's one of the best deals in the area. Other people live in houses with 3-4 other people, and end up paying nearly what I pay in rent because most of the houses around here are heated with oil, which is a big expense. In the newer builds in Sachem (everything but the Field Road ones) the heat, hot water, and trash removal are included, so there are fewer additional utilities that you have to worry about if you live here. Maintenance is extremely prompt and professional if you have any issues (definitely not so for most of the landlords around here).

I don't have a spouse and I live in Sachem (I have one roommate). I personally think it's one of the best deals in the area. Other people live in houses with 3-4 other people, and end up paying nearly what I pay in rent because most of the houses around here are heated with oil, which is a big expense. In the newer builds in Sachem (everything but the Field Road ones) the heat, hot water, and trash removal are included, so there are fewer additional utilities that you have to worry about if you live here. Maintenance is extremely prompt and professional if you have any issues (definitely not so for most of the landlords around here).
Do you find the housing allowance adequate? Granted, you have a room mate, but still.

No, people live all over the place. My wife and I lived in Stone Farms Apts during first year (good for starting out and for pets, but $$$) and during 1st year found a place a little farther out that was bigger/cheaper. I think Sachem is a good area for the price, but you can find other places if you want to. I do agree with @GliaLimitans, housing gets very expensive with heating costs (wrestling that beast currently), so an apartment/plowing+heating included set-up is a good idea for the first year.
The job market is small around here, and there has been some trouble for spouses to find jobs with a couple of my classmates. Fortunately, you'll have enough time to look around, but I'd start early and look in the surrounding area besides Dartmouth proper/Hanover/etc.

No, people live all over the place. My wife and I lived in Stone Farms Apts during first year (good for starting out and for pets, but $$$) and during 1st year found a place a little farther out that was bigger/cheaper. I think Sachem is a good area for the price, but you can find other places if you want to. I do agree with @GliaLimitans, housing gets very expensive with heating costs (wrestling that beast currently), so an apartment/plowing+heating included set-up is a good idea for the first year.
The job market is small around here, and there has been some trouble for spouses to find jobs with a couple of my classmates. Fortunately, you'll have enough time to look around, but I'd start early and look in the surrounding area besides Dartmouth proper/Hanover/etc.
Thanks for the answers! If it gets expensive, how did you/others get by on the low amount they give (either at first when spouse doesn’t have a job or when spouse just doesn’t have a job).? Are their financial aid a lot more flexible than the website make it out to be?

Thanks for the answers! If it gets expensive, how did you/others get by on the low amount they give (either at first when spouse doesn’t have a job or when spouse just doesn’t have a job).? Are their financial aid a lot more flexible than the website make it out to be?
Yes. The budget is based off of a yearly survey sent out by FA to get an average COL. You can borrow more if you need it, don't worry.

II today, complete mid-August. One date in Jan, two in Feb.

Reactions: 6 users
Didn't get interview yet, completed August. No rejection today either. I guess that is a good thing?

Didn't get interview yet, completed August. No rejection today either. I guess that is a good thing?

Man, I'm in the same boat. Genuinely like a week away from just calling it and doing a chargeback on my credit card. If Dmouth wants to play games I'll play too.

Withdrew my application and freed up an interview date in Jan, hope it goes to one of you! Great school but I’ve been accepted to my state school.

Reactions: 2 users
Man, I'm in the same boat. Genuinely like a week away from just calling it and doing a chargeback on my credit card. If Dmouth wants to play games I'll play too.
They won’t do that. Secondary is non-refundable. The cycle is only half way through. Patience

Reactions: 2 users
Visa lawyers vs. Dartmouth SOM, who would win? (jk, jk). Nah you're probably right. Probably more trouble than it's worth and that fine print is killer. Good job med schools.

Visa lawyers vs. Dartmouth SOM, who would win? (jk, jk). Nah you're probably right. Probably more trouble than it's worth and that fine print is killer. Good job med schools.
Not even a matter of “Worth the trouble.” You sign a thing saying non-refundable, thus you lose every time.

I’m sure this has been answered somewhere, but I am getting mixed up with all the schools! Does Dartmouth accept pre II updates? Unfortunately my completion date was quite late due to a reference not getting done correctly, so I am a little behind everyone for possible interviews (hopefully)!

I’m sure this has been answered somewhere, but I am getting mixed up with all the schools! Does Dartmouth accept pre II updates? Unfortunately my completion date was quite late due to a reference not getting done correctly, so I am a little behind everyone for possible interviews (hopefully)!
You can upload additional documents in the online portal. That's what I did.

Received II! LM 78 submitted August.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm arriving around dinnertime the night before my interview. Any current students or anyone who has already interviewed have any suggestions on where to eat or any cool things to see in the small town?

I'm arriving around dinnertime the night before my interview. Any current students or anyone who has already interviewed have any suggestions on where to eat or any cool things to see in the small town?
My host took me to Ramunto’s, a pizza place, and it is pretty good. There is also a coffee shop right next to the Hanover inn, that’s super popular.

If the sun is still up drive around and just look at the area, it’s absolutely gorgeous.

Rejected just now. LM 69, complete early August. Best of luck to all of you :)