Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Synthetase

Pre-Medical
    Addressed it to the individual interviewer but also made a passing remark thanking everyone involved. Kinda like “I appreciate the time you and others in the admissions office bla bla bla..”

justkeepchugging likes this.
  2. burb

Question about update letters: one of my family members recently passed away and I am taking a leave of absence from my volunteer position to support my family through this time. My estimate is that I will have lost about 60 hours of volunteering due to this leave (out of ~1500 hours reported on AMCAS). Should I mention this change in plans in my next update letter? Or is this too personal? I want to avoid irrelevant issues or updates that may appear negative. Thanks to anyone who has advice on this!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rambr

Not an expert, but I don't think it's necessary to include! It's one of those things that seems like if you were asked about it, you can tell them, but I don't think you need to explain why future hours aren't matching up with the original AMCAS report, since I think adcoms know those are likely to change. My condolences for your loss, sending prayers for your family in this time.

burb likes this.
  4. BillEvans

Is there typically any mobility on the waitlist here?

honey&champagne likes this.
  5. F4532

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Are they still considering people for interview? I still haven’t heard back yet

6. To Freedom

Verified Account

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Did anyone get a financial aid email that says dear admitted applicant, but hasn't got an acceptance mail yet?

#956 To Freedom, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  7. jchung1130

jchung1130 jchung
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Just received that email about an hour ago.. curious about the same thing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. wallawalla3

Pre-Medical
    When was your interview?

9. To Freedom

Verified Account

First week of November

wallawalla3 likes this.
  10. TTP 1776

First week of December interviewer, I know Georgetown said to wait 8-10 weeks, but are they on the slower side right now?

Several of my other schools are 2-3 weeks past the upper end of wait time post-II

11. bubbles2993

I interviewed in the first half of November and still haven't heard anything so it seems like they are on the slower side...

TTP 1776 and hannakm like this.
  12. Beantown101

Pre-Medical
    I got the email also but I was accepted in November. Maybe foreshadowing but I would say not to read into it too much and psych yourself out.

Also to all those wondering about timelines- I was accepted mid November and interviewed late September, so it was about week 8 I think but it's possible they slowed down because of winter/ Christmas break or because it's later in the cycle, but regardless as long as people haven't posted they've been accepted from your interview day you are fine.

13. wallawalla3

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed first half of Nov so I’ll be patiently waiting for 3 weeks :(

14. what rocks

Current M1 here. Happy to answer any questions (and I will try to do so in a timely manner).

Accepted applicants: Invitations to join the Georgetown SOM Class of 2023 Facebook group will be hitting your inboxes soon.

Current applicants: The last interview day is currently schedule for early February. Subject to change.

Beantown101 likes this.
  15. PunjabiBoy1993

Just had interview a few days ago. Loved it here!!! Hoping for best <3

burb and rambr like this.
  16. DoctorD11

So has anyone heard from early November interviews? As in the first week? I know a few who’ve had waitlists, but so far no one with acceptances or rejections. Anyone?

17. rambr

wondering the same, had an interview early 3rd week of nov and am in the 8th week of waiting to hear, so curious if anyone earlier in the month has heard!

18. CT153

2+ Year Member

Sounds like I interviewed around the same time as you I and haven’t heard anything yet either.

DoctorD11 likes this.
  19. jchung1130

jchung1130 jchung
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Hang in there! Interviewed Nov 9- got the call two days ago. Wishing you the best and keep your head up :)

20. teenyfish

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm in the same boat guys - interviewed second week in November. GT is my top choice so I'm super anxious! Sending you all positive thoughts!!

21. hellosummer145

I interviewed first week of November and haven't heard anything yet either. Sounds like we're all in the same boat!

22. anonymousdoc37

I interviewed last week of October, has anyone who interviewed then heard anything? People who interviewed after me are getting some answers I see; I just hope I’m not reading too much into things- thanks :)

23. Amarantaa

Waitlisted. Interviewed in mid-November.

24. Synthetase

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed around the same time and heard back on 12/21

25. MedLkid

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Did you get email, or portal updates?

26. TTP 1776

How would you describe the student environment at GT?

On interview day I couldn’t really tell how students liked it. My student panel seemed like they were gunners and toxic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

27. Amarantaa

I got an email.

28. CT153

2+ Year Member

+1

29. medsa2019

Hey everyone--I received an acceptance voicemail this Tuesday morning, but still haven't received an email or had a portal change about my acceptance. Is this normal???

30. what rocks

I'm not sure who was on your student panel, but that most certainly has not been my experience. In a class of 200 students, yes there will be some gunners who study nonstop and feel compelled to get a 90%+ on every exam (and then brag about it). However, I know most people in my class, and only 4-5 people would I describe as being gunners.

My experience has been that Georgetown has a very collaborative environment. The vast majority of people have a simple goal: to pass each course. This means sharing valuable resources on the class google drive. This means asking questions and sending helpful reminders in the class groupme. Frankly, I found it very easy to make friends here at Georgetown because we tend accept genuinely nice and compassionate people.

If you have any further concerns or questions, feel free to DM me.

Reyluvbry and burb like this.
  31. wallawalla3

Pre-Medical
    When did you interview?

32. medsa2019

I interviewed on 11/12! I was so excited to have been accepted, but am worried that I didnt get any further communication after that initial phone call!

33. 1suomynona

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is normal. Dean Mitchell calls everyone individually and the email/portal update sometimes comes the next day somtimes it comes ~ a week later. He wants to make sure it's more personal and you find out from a call instead of by email. Anything more than a week, send admissions an email but if he made the call don't worry there's no mistake.

Don't let imposter syndrome takeover already!

Source: Current student that helps with admissions.

DTargaryen likes this.
  34. medsa2019

Oh thank you so much! I still haven't gotten any more information, but will wait patiently and email soon if needed. I am very excited over here!

35. To Freedom

Verified Account

Got my phone call. - Yay!!! Interviewed 11/2

DTargaryen, Wahed, hannakm and 2 others like this.
  36. MedLkid

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Congrats. Seems like you got the admitted applicant financial aid Email. Is there anyone who did not get the email but got accepted since last Tuesday?

37. monty522

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey ya'll! Great news. I am hiring some instructors for an MCAT class around DC If you want to make some cash while you wait for your glorious II to roll through, shoot me a DM with your email and we'll get things rolling.