2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current M1 here. Happy to answer any questions (and I will try to do so in a timely manner).

Accepted applicants: Invitations to join the Georgetown SOM Class of 2023 Facebook group will be hitting your inboxes soon.

Current applicants: The last interview day is currently schedule for early February. Subject to change.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just had interview a few days ago. Loved it here!!! Hoping for best <3

Reactions: 1 users
So has anyone heard from early November interviews? As in the first week? I know a few who’ve had waitlists, but so far no one with acceptances or rejections. Anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
So has anyone heard from early November interviews? As in the first week? I know a few who’ve had waitlists, but so far no one with acceptances or rejections. Anyone?

wondering the same, had an interview early 3rd week of nov and am in the 8th week of waiting to hear, so curious if anyone earlier in the month has heard!

Sounds like I interviewed around the same time as you I and haven’t heard anything yet either.

Hang in there! Interviewed Nov 9- got the call two days ago. Wishing you the best and keep your head up :)

Reactions: 6 users
I'm in the same boat guys - interviewed second week in November. GT is my top choice so I'm super anxious! Sending you all positive thoughts!!

I interviewed first week of November and haven't heard anything yet either. Sounds like we're all in the same boat!

I interviewed last week of October, has anyone who interviewed then heard anything? People who interviewed after me are getting some answers I see; I just hope I’m not reading too much into things- thanks :)

I interviewed last week of October, has anyone who interviewed then heard anything? People who interviewed after me are getting some answers I see; I just hope I’m not reading too much into things- thanks :)
I interviewed around the same time and heard back on 12/21

Current M1 here. Happy to answer any questions (and I will try to do so in a timely manner).

Accepted applicants: Invitations to join the Georgetown SOM Class of 2023 Facebook group will be hitting your inboxes soon.

Current applicants: The last interview day is currently schedule for early February. Subject to change.

How would you describe the student environment at GT?

On interview day I couldn’t really tell how students liked it. My student panel seemed like they were gunners and toxic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone--I received an acceptance voicemail this Tuesday morning, but still haven't received an email or had a portal change about my acceptance. Is this normal???

How would you describe the student environment at GT?

On interview day I couldn’t really tell how students liked it. My student panel seemed like they were gunners and toxic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not sure who was on your student panel, but that most certainly has not been my experience. In a class of 200 students, yes there will be some gunners who study nonstop and feel compelled to get a 90%+ on every exam (and then brag about it). However, I know most people in my class, and only 4-5 people would I describe as being gunners.

My experience has been that Georgetown has a very collaborative environment. The vast majority of people have a simple goal: to pass each course. This means sharing valuable resources on the class google drive. This means asking questions and sending helpful reminders in the class groupme. Frankly, I found it very easy to make friends here at Georgetown because we tend accept genuinely nice and compassionate people.

If you have any further concerns or questions, feel free to DM me.

Hey everyone--I received an acceptance voicemail this Tuesday morning, but still haven't received an email or had a portal change about my acceptance. Is this normal???
When did you interview?

I interviewed on 11/12! I was so excited to have been accepted, but am worried that I didnt get any further communication after that initial phone call!
This is normal. Dean Mitchell calls everyone individually and the email/portal update sometimes comes the next day somtimes it comes ~ a week later. He wants to make sure it's more personal and you find out from a call instead of by email. Anything more than a week, send admissions an email but if he made the call don't worry there's no mistake.

Don't let imposter syndrome takeover already!

Source: Current student that helps with admissions.

This is normal. Dean Mitchell calls everyone individually and the email/portal update sometimes comes the next day somtimes it comes ~ a week later. He wants to make sure it's more personal and you find out from a call instead of by email. Anything more than a week, send admissions an email but if he made the call don't worry there's no mistake.

Don't let imposter syndrome takeover already!

Source: Current student that helps with admissions.
Oh thank you so much! I still haven't gotten any more information, but will wait patiently and email soon if needed. I am very excited over here!

Got my phone call. - Yay!!! Interviewed 11/2

Reactions: 5 users
Hey ya'll! Great news. I am hiring some instructors for an MCAT class around DC If you want to make some cash while you wait for your glorious II to roll through, shoot me a DM with your email and we'll get things rolling.

Does anyone know when they finish interviewing here?
According to the interview guide on the portal the last interview day is Thursday January 31st (with interviews almost every week day of January leading up to that date)

According to the interview guide on the portal the last interview day is Thursday January 31st (with interviews almost every week day of January leading up to that date)
oh I didn't think of looking at that. Thanks!

Has anyone from mid nov interviews been rejected or waitlisted yet? Next week is week 10 for me and the suspense is killerrrr

Has anyone from mid nov interviews been rejected or waitlisted yet? Next week is week 10 for me and the suspense is killerrrr

Nope! I interviewed same week as you and I am so nervous! GT is my top choice by far.

Was the FAFSA submission by January 1st a hard deadline? Ooops...

Was the FAFSA submission by January 1st a hard deadline? Ooops...

No it wasn’t a hard deadline. It was just recommended. I freaked out about missing the Jan. 1 deadline at first but the financial aid office said it wasn’t detrimental. I’d just get it in as soon as you can!

WL just now! Guess I gotta get going on those updates!

also waitlisted, I technically already sent two, not sure what more I can add at this point

Yeah, I waited to send one just in case I was waitlisted, plus, I don't really have that many new updates so I've got to be stingy. I think I'll send one next month?

anyone know how many were accepted off the waitlist last year

Yeah, I waited to send one just in case I was waitlisted, plus, I don't really have that many new updates so I've got to be stingy. I think I'll send one next month?
Do you mind to share when you interviewed? Thank you!

Would it be advisable to submit a LOI after the thank you note but before hearing back after an interview? I know that some schools do not like this

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Got the call today, interviewed 11/28

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted too!!!! interviewed 11/14

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to all who were recently accepted!

Question for current students regarding finding an apartment- When did you lock in a place/ sign lease agreement? I've heard some people do it during second look, but if we are currently living out of state, were your landlords willing to sign the agreement to allow you to move in late July prior to orientation?

Thank you in advanced!

Would it be advisable to submit a LOI after the thank you note but before hearing back after an interview? I know that some schools do not like this
Georgetown really likes LOIs but for some reason I feel like I read that they recommend they do it after hearing back, especially if waitlisted? I may have made that up in my head, but it seems like I read that somewhere in the portal. Can anyone else confirm?

Georgetown really likes LOIs but for some reason I feel like I read that they recommend they do it after hearing back, especially if waitlisted? I may have made that up in my head, but it seems like I read that somewhere in the portal. Can anyone else confirm?
In general LOI's are meant for post initial decision and hold more weight if you are on the wait-list because that is when the committee is more concerned and focused on accepting people to fill their class. At the same time, it does not hurt to send it earlier, but then if you want to send an update later if/ when wait-listed, you have one less thing to write about/ one less reason to send the committee a letter.

does anyone know how many people got off the waitlist here last year?
Conventional wisdom (from reading through this thread and earlier years) is that they interview around 1000 candidates. Of those 1000, they accept 250, waitlist 500, and reject 250. The total post-interview acceptance rate is around 40% though, so I'm thinking around 150 people of the 500 initially waitlisted are later accepted. Having said that, I have no idea how or if the new traffic rules will change that. Many other schools are waitlisting more candidates than usual in anticipation of a massive shuffling of acceptances once people with multiple acceptances have to pick one mid-April with schools not getting the multi-acceptance report in February like in years past. GU has always waitlisted more than others though so it seems like other schools will do it more like GU now.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the email for the Dr.Stewart scholarship! Definitely applying

Interviewed first week of December: Waitlist.

Anyone know what chances are to get off WL? GT is my top choice