2018-2019 Medical College at Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In state. II received today! Stats in signature. Complete e-mail sent on 8/14 but complete a significant time before that (automated complete emails were broken when I submitted)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
In state. II received today! Stats in signature. Complete e-mail sent on 8/14 but complete a significant time before that (automated complete emails were broken when I submitted)
Did you get a small pool emaiL?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the post-II acceptance rate here?

Reactions: 1 user
Did you get a small pool emaiL?
Yea, small pool I think on 8/18/18. Also just based on MSAR numbers, in state acceptance rate after interview last year was about 40% while out of state acceptance rate after interview was closer to 27%. They also do admissions on a rolling basis, so chances probably go up the earlier you interview.

Yea, small pool I think on 8/18/18. Also just based on MSAR numbers, in state acceptance rate after interview last year was about 40% while out of state acceptance rate after interview was closer to 27%. They also do admissions on a rolling basis, so chances probably go up the earlier you interview.
Dang only 27% for OOS D:

Dang only 27% for OOS D:
If I remember correctly, though, MSAR doesn’t have total acceptance numbers, just matriculation totals and breakdown. So the acceptance rates are probs a tad higher than what’s listed in the previous post.

If I remember correctly, though, MSAR doesn’t have total acceptance numbers, just matriculation totals and breakdown. So the acceptance rates are probs a tad higher than what’s listed in the previous post.
As a conservative estimate, schools accept 1.5 students per seat. That puts the OOS post II acceptance at 50%. Furthermore, remember that the reason for IS bias is multifactorial, and that MCW is likely to have minimal IS preference as a private school. OOS applicants holding multiple acceptances and choosing to go to a different school (maybe a school closer to home) is likely to have a larger impact than MCW's preference on MCW's apparent IS bias.

Edit: bad math. 40%

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that does seem a little strange. So hopefully acceptance is actually a little higher
I can’t see the MSAR anymore but ik last year, AKA the stats for the Class of 2021, the post-interview acceptance rate was quite high at around 67%. They told us at orientation that they interviewed about 600 candidates for the Class of 2022 - Milwaukee. With 204 people in my class and being conservative at 1.5 acceptances per spot, that’s a little over 50%. If you assume 2 acceptances per spot, then that gets you to about 67% post-acceptance rate so with what we were told at orientation and the numbers I have on hand, it seems they accept about 2 candidates per spot.

Reactions: 2 users
I can’t see the MSAR anymore but ik last year, AKA the stats for the Class of 2021, the post-interview acceptance rate was quite high at around 67%. They told us at orientation that they interviewed about 600 candidates for the Class of 2022 - Milwaukee. With 204 people in my class and being conservative at 1.5 acceptances per spot, that’s a little over 50%. If you assume 2 acceptances per spot, then that gets you to about 67% post-acceptance rate so with what we were told at orientation and the numbers I have on hand, it seems they accept about 2 candidates per spot.
Thanks for the input! 67% sounds a lot better than 27% lol. Keeping my fingers crossed

For any applicants who have interviews this week, make sure to bring an umbrella! Looks like it’ll be raining in Milaukee all week

For any applicants who have interviews this week, make sure to bring an umbrella! Looks like it’ll be raining in Milaukee all week
Excited to see everyone with an interview this week! Congratulations on getting this far! My classmates were faster than me at signing up for Friday tours but I’ll see ya around campus. And yes, bring an umbrella! Good luck! It’ll be fine. Very relaxed day. Enjoy it!!

Anyone complete around or after July 26 that received small pool or II?

I was complete 7/20 and still haven't received the small pool email. Wondering if I've been passed over and will receive that R email in the future

I was complete 7/20 and still haven't received the small pool email. Wondering if I've been passed over and will receive that R email in the future
I wonder if this school silent rejects?

A little late reporting this one: II this past Friday (8/31), IS and did a summer research internship here a few years ago

Does anyone know what the interview day is like here and mind sharing? :)
See my novel of a post on the first page. Have to scroll down a bit.

I wonder if this school silent rejects?
They will send out rejections but very few. I would assume mostly to people that are not competitive at all. And they will reject towards the end of the cycle. Otherwise you can assume your app is under consideration/being rereviewed. Small-pool is a nice sign but you’re also in for potentially some waiting too with that as well. It’s a long process. @hebrewBAMmer posted earlier about being complete in July and not receiving an II til January. Just gotta wait it out until you hear back either way.

Still way too early in the process to assume you’re passed over and rejected. See comment directly above.

Reactions: 2 users
See my novel of a post on the first page. Have to scroll down a bit.

They will send out rejections but very few. I would assume mostly to people that are not competitive at all. And they will reject towards the end of the cycle. Otherwise you can assume your app is under consideration/being rereviewed. Small-pool is a nice sign but you’re also in for potentially some waiting too with that as well. It’s a long process. @hebrewBAMmer posted earlier about being complete in July and not receiving an II til January. Just gotta wait it out until you hear back either way.

Still way too early in the process to assume you’re passed over and rejected. See comment directly above.
You're a current student, correct? I was wondering if you could give us your pros and cons that you have experienced about the school. It seems like an excellent school. Sorry if you have already made a post about this. Thanks for your insight!

I was complete 7/12, and JUST received small pool. I wouldn't write yourself off yet (although, my small pool email hasn't converted to an interview, so who knows, really)

If anybody has information on the interview at the Wausau campus, that would be MUCH appreciated. Trying to prepare for a panel interview...and sorta freaking out. II scheduled for 9/13!

Does anyone know what the interview day is like here and mind sharing? :)
Just to add to what RheumyArthritic mentioned, The interview day is mostly relaxed (from what I remember from my med school interview days). A lot of the day is telling you about the school, presentations from different departments, meeting some current students, and tours. The interview is two 30-minute interviews. The admissions office attempts to pair each applicant with one faculty and one senior medical student. However, this is not always possible so you may get 2 faculty, a junior med student, even an M2 at times. Either way, everyone is very nice and the interviews are overall informal. They should let you know at the day of interview, but if you have any unpleasant experiences or feel as if the interviewer was out of bounds in the questions they ask, you can let the admissions team know and they will find a 3rd interviewer for you.

Enjoy the interview day!

Current M4

You're a current student, correct? I was wondering if you could give us your pros and cons that you have experienced about the school. It seems like an excellent school. Sorry if you have already made a post about this. Thanks for your insight!
I actually had my heart set on a different med school when the II for MCW came. I did not know too much about the school, but decided to interview. My flight was delayed and I got into MKE at 3AM. As I was accepted to school already that I loved and was exhausted from interview season, I considered just sleeping in at my hotel and canceling my interview at MCW. But, a family member called to make sure I got into MKE all right, and convinced me to go as I already flew all the way to Wisconsin. And boy, am I glad I did! Four years in now and here are my 2 cents (including what changed my mind to go here)
** = what won me over

Pros:
- Heavy research institution with connections to Froedtert and CHW all on the same campus (as tertiary care centers, there is a lot of opportunities here) **
- At the time, MCW was solely a medical school (and graduate school) with no other healthcare programs** (this is no longer true)
- Summer research program (pretty easy to get funding for those summer months to offset living costs when not in school so no loans)**
- Large class size (personal pro, may not be preferred by everyone)
- VERY low cost of living (I am from SoCal originally)
- Pathways, specifically QuIPs as I am very interested in QI work**
- Brand new facilities with reconstruction so nothing looks old and gross
- M1 and M2 lectures are live-streamed and recorded so I actually could stay home if weather was awful or I was lazy (not sure if this is still the case)
- Large class so lots of student orgs and diversity (for Wisconsin)
- Because of Froedtert and CHW (and community hospitals that partner with MCW), there are MANY MANY elective rotations and sites to choose from, which a lot of applicants don't think about, but is very important for M3 and M4 year when deciding/applying and getting LORs for specialties
- There are many funding sources to attend conference you are presenting at (if you're interested in research)
- Overall, a tolerant and accepting school in terms of diversity (as there is a lot of overt prejudice in WI, even MKE)

Cons:
- Weather is very cold for very long, or very hot and humid
- Since I've been here, they have added a pharmacy school, AA school, a new satellite campus and more programs without accounting for staff. It seems that transitioning is difficult and it is definitely noticed by the students. As an M3 an M4 during this transition period applying for residency, this change has affected our class much more and is unpleasant (This was a HUGE con for me because I came here with the idea that MCW was solely a medical school)
- Pretty expensive as far as med schools go
- School admin can be uncompromising at times without providing an explanation despite asking
- Large class size so students can be lost or left behind academically (not a big deal if you perform well independently and can keep on top of own schedule)

This is just my honest thoughts from my years here so take with a grain of salt!

Reactions: 11 users
II!! OOS LM 74 Complete 7/26/2018

I never got the small pool email

Reactions: 3 users
I got the small pool email yesterday, it's a good thing from what I can gather.

II this morning!! IS
I did not receive a small pool email at all. I am very excited to interview at MCW.
Honestly, it was not easy seeing people getting interviews, and I started to worry. Application season is tough but try to have faith that you will end up where you are meant to be. Don't look at other peoples stats and start to doubt your application and the unique experiences you have. :) Congrats to everyone who has gotten an interview here so far! Anyone else interviewing 09/28?

I actually had my heart set on a different med school when the II for MCW came. I did not know too much about the school, but decided to interview. My flight was delayed and I got into MKE at 3AM. As I was accepted to school already that I loved and was exhausted from interview season, I considered just sleeping in at my hotel and canceling my interview at MCW. But, a family member called to make sure I got into MKE all right, and convinced me to go as I already flew all the way to Wisconsin. And boy, am I glad I did! Four years in now and here are my 2 cents (including what changed my mind to go here)
** = what won me over

Pros:
- Heavy research institution with connections to Froedtert and CHW all on the same campus (as tertiary care centers, there is a lot of opportunities here) **
- At the time, MCW was solely a medical school (and graduate school) with no other healthcare programs** (this is no longer true)
- Summer research program (pretty easy to get funding for those summer months to offset living costs when not in school so no loans)**
- Large class size (personal pro, may not be preferred by everyone)
- VERY low cost of living (I am from SoCal originally)
- Pathways, specifically QuIPs as I am very interested in QI work**
- Brand new facilities with reconstruction so nothing looks old and gross
- M1 and M2 lectures are live-streamed and recorded so I actually could stay home if weather was awful or I was lazy (not sure if this is still the case)
- Large class so lots of student orgs and diversity (for Wisconsin)
- Because of Froedtert and CHW (and community hospitals that partner with MCW), there are MANY MANY elective rotations and sites to choose from, which a lot of applicants don't think about, but is very important for M3 and M4 year when deciding/applying and getting LORs for specialties
- There are many funding sources to attend conference you are presenting at (if you're interested in research)
- Overall, a tolerant and accepting school in terms of diversity (as there is a lot of overt prejudice in WI, even MKE)

Cons:
- Weather is very cold for very long, or very hot and humid
- Since I've been here, they have added a pharmacy school, AA school, a new satellite campus and more programs without accounting for staff. It seems that transitioning is difficult and it is definitely noticed by the students. As an M3 an M4 during this transition period applying for residency, this change has affected our class much more and is unpleasant (This was a HUGE con for me because I came here with the idea that MCW was solely a medical school)
- Pretty expensive as far as med schools go
- School admin can be uncompromising at times without providing an explanation despite asking
- Large class size so students can be lost or left behind academically (not a big deal if you perform well independently and can keep on top of own schedule)

This is just my honest thoughts from my years here so take with a grain of salt!
I appreciate this so much! Thanks for your insight!

Does anyone know when we have to have our residency determination forms in if we’re applying in-state?

I think prior to matriculation is what I saw for the residency forms. Opossumparty when are you interviewing? :)

Good luck tomorrow! I am interviewing the 28th.

Congrats to those who have received an II or already had their interviews. One step closer to becoming a fantastic doctor! Here hoping to join you guys soon.

Are most people who received II were small-pooled before? or is it a mix?

Everyone who received an II has been small pooled this year

Thought that was the general consensus, but some people stated they got ii’s without getting the small pool email earlier this week, so maybe not everyone?

Thought that was the general consensus, but some people stated they got ii’s without getting the small pool email earlier this week, so maybe not everyone?
I think this was the case last year but this year, I think MCW wittles II down from small pool. There might be some exceptions though but these are the not the norm.

Everyone who received an II has been small pooled this year
This is not true. A few posts up you'll see at least two people who never got a small-pool email. I think they are trying their best, but some people still slip through the cracks. Since SDN is such a small sample size, I'm willing to bet that a good number of people will get II's without the small-pool.

This is not true. A few posts up you'll see at least two people who never got a small-pool email. I think they are trying their best, but some people still slip through the cracks. Since SDN is such a small sample size, I'm willing to bet that a good number of people will get II's without the small-pool.

What Rheumy mentioned

Edited

Last edited: