2018-2019 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i feel like they usually do a couple waves so they'll probably be sending IIs for a while
atleast i hope so

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i feel like they usually do a couple waves so they'll probably be sending IIs for a while
atleast i hope so
Absolutely. Two cycle ago my II was received in January, and last cycle my II was received in December. MCG holds interviews through March

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II this afternoon!! So excited about MCG :)

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck! I recently interviewed and it was all around a great experience.

Oh wow that's great to hear, and thank you! This is my first choice because I'd like to stay in state! :) Any words of advice, and it wasn't anything crazy right? lol

Any words of advice for the MMIs!?
There are plentyof free resources online to look at sample questions. Prepare. Relax. Enjoy the experience.

My favorite advice: Be yourself, but better!

Reactions: 4 users
Oh wow that's great to hear, and thank you! This is my first choice because I'd like to stay in state! :) Any words of advice, and it wasn't anything crazy right? lol

It's definitely my first choice too! I would love to stay in state, and I really liked the campus and students I met. It seems like a supportive environment.

My advice would be to try and research about MMI's and what to expect. The questions weren't too intimidating, but just prepare yourself for the general format. You only have about a minute to read the prompt, and from there I believe 6-8 minutes to discuss the topic.

Just be yourself as well- relax, be confident, and try to have a positive attitude! You've made it this far, so believe in yourself!

I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming interviews! :):):):)

It's definitely my first choice too! I would love to stay in state, and I really liked the campus and students I met. It seems like a supportive environment.

My advice would be to try and research about MMI's and what to expect. The questions weren't too intimidating, but just prepare yourself for the general format. You only have about a minute to read the prompt, and from there I believe 6-8 minutes to discuss the topic.

Just be yourself as well- relax, be confident, and try to have a positive attitude! You've made it this far, so believe in yourself!

I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming interviews! :):):):)

Thank you so muchh!!! :):)

It's definitely my first choice too! I would love to stay in state, and I really liked the campus and students I met. It seems like a supportive environment
The faculty at MCG are the most supportive group of people I’ve ever met. They REALLY care about us doing well, and not being too stressed out or overwhelmed.

Members don't see this ad :)
The faculty at MCG are the most supportive group of people I’ve ever met. They REALLY care about us doing well, and not being too stressed out or overwhelmed.

Wow! I'm glad to hear that's the case. All the more reason to hope for an acceptance haha :):):)

II today! Complete 9/12
URM, AA Female, Instate
503 MCAT | BCPM GPA: 3.4, AO GPA: 3.75, Total GPA: 3.58

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
For everyone who has had the interview, I was wondering if it was ONLY MMI, or was there also an ADDITIONAL open file interview with more traditional interview questions?
I'm in the process of preparing, and have been doing practice MMI style questions, so I was wondering if I needed to be prepared for more traditional interview questions as well.
I'm asking because I've had this experience of having MMI + additional open file interview at a different school lol. Any reply would be much appreciated :)
No traditional interviews! Only MMIs.

For everyone who has had the interview, I was wondering if it was ONLY MMI, or was there also an ADDITIONAL open file interview with more traditional interview questions?
I'm in the process of preparing, and have been doing practice MMI style questions, so I was wondering if I needed to be prepared for more traditional interview questions as well.
I'm asking because I've had this experience of having MMI + additional open file interview at a different school lol. Any reply would be much appreciated :)

Hey! From my experience, it was just MMI type questions. No "traditional" open file interviews. We were told our interviewers didn't have access to our files. It was to try and prevent any bias and make it more fair.

Good luck and enjoy your interview day! :)

This week's interviews have been canceled (rescheduled) due to the weather :smack:

So... I hate to be that person... but do you all think we might hear back tomorrow about possible acceptances? I know tomorrow is the earliest regular decision applicants can hear back.

Looking at last year's thread, it seems like regular decision applicants heard back around beginning of November.. but with the new set of traffic rules from the AAMC, I'm wondering if it changes the timeline? Or maybe I'm just psyching myself out haha

Last edited:
So... I hate to be that person... but do you all think we might hear back tomorrow about possible acceptances? I know tomorrow is the earliest regular decision applicants can hear back.

Looking at last year's thread, it seems like regular decision applicants heard back around beginning of November.. but with the new set of traffic rules from the AAMC, I'm wondering if it changes the timeline? Or maybe I'm just psyching myself out haha

At an information panel thingy, they said the MMIs would allow them to offer acceptances more quickly than last year, and at my interview, they said we'd likely hear back in 4-6 weeks which would roughly be today to end of October.

At an information panel thingy, they said the MMIs would allow them to offer acceptances more quickly than last year, and at my interview, they said we'd likely hear back in 4-6 weeks which would roughly be today to end of October.

Wow, I forgot they mentioned that. I interviewed the last week of September, so it's probably still too early to hear back then.

MD/PhD II! Completed 9/21

Don't lose hope yet! They are still giving out II!

when did you all interview? do you think they are emailing throughout the day?

received an email this morning and actually got a call from someone from the school just a moment ago!!
(interviewed mid September)

Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone speak to how reliable uber is around the MCG area? Thank you!

I drove to Augusta the night before my interview and my car broke down ~20 minutes before I arrived... I left my car and uber saved the day :)

Hi all, I have not heard back about interviews at all from any of my schools on interviews, including MCG. I have 522 mcat, 3.6 grad school gpa and 3.2 undergrad gpa. I’m in GA. I don’t have a ton of shadowing hours since I am non traditional track. Has anyone had similar stats and gotten an interview? Is it too late at this point to expect an interview? I would love to know any insight anyone has. Thank you!

Hi all, I have not heard back about interviews at all from any of my schools on interviews, including MCG. I have 522 mcat, 3.6 grad school gpa and 3.2 undergrad gpa. I’m in GA. I don’t have a ton of shadowing hours since I am non traditional track. Has anyone had similar stats and gotten an interview? Is it too late at this point to expect an interview? I would love to know any insight anyone has. Thank you!

I don't have similar stats, but if it helps in anyway, I was told MCG conducts interviews from September-March. There's still time lots of time left to hear back. You can also update your file all the way until December.

Accepted on 10/19. Interviewed 9/27. I was extremely impressed with the school's facilities and faculty. Good luck to all of those interviewing in the coming months!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted on 10/19. Interviewed 9/27. I was extremely impressed with the school's facilities and faculty. Good luck to all of those interviewing in the coming months!

Congrats! That's amazing you heard back so quickly. I interviewed the same week. Hopefully I'll hear back soon :)

Does anyone have tips/advice on tackling the MMI here?

Practice a lot of sample questions. You need to demonstrate insight, with good communication.

Have those of you accepted submitted your campus preference yet?

Question- if we haven’t heard back about interviews yet at this point is it safe to assume the chances of getting an interview are slim? Since I submitted my secondary application in August and I still haven’t been contacted to even schedule an interview I feel like it means they have likely looked at my application and set it aside by now. But I also don’t know a lot about the application review process and am wondering if anyone knows more.

Question- if we haven’t heard back about interviews yet at this point is it safe to assume the chances of getting an interview are slim? Since I submitted my secondary application in August and I still haven’t been contacted to even schedule an interview I feel like it means they have likely looked at my application and set it aside by now. But I also don’t know a lot about the application review process and am wondering if anyone knows more.
You can still get an II through January, possibly Feb. I submitted in July both cycles I applied. First cycle my II came in January (waitlisted), second cycle II came in December (acceptance).

Practice a lot of sample questions. You need to demonstrate insight, with good communication.

Are “traditional” questions integrated within the MMI? Like should we still be prepared for questions like tell me about yourself, why medicine, why mcg etc. or are they all based on MMI/Casper scenarios (ethics, teamwork, communication)?

You can still get an II through January, possibly Feb. I submitted in July both cycles I applied. First cycle my II came in January (waitlisted), second cycle II came in December (acceptance).
Thank you. I've been holding on to that late II hope since I submitted back in July. I don't mean to come across as ungrateful; I just have always wanted a shot at MCG since I've worked with/shadowed alumni.

Are “traditional” questions integrated within the MMI? Like should we still be prepared for questions like tell me about yourself, why medicine, why mcg etc. or are they all based on MMI/Casper scenarios (ethics, teamwork, communication)?

It is all MMI scenario questions. There may be an opportunity to talk about your personal experiences if it relates to the prompt, but they are strictly using the MMI format.

For those familiar with the admissions process, is it possible to be accepted later than the interview cycle decisions after your interview date? I interviewed 9/18 and was not accepted in the first wave of acceptances. I really hope that the ship hasn't sailed, as this is my top choice medical school! ORM, LizzyM 75.

For those familiar with the admissions process, is it possible to be accepted later than the interview cycle decisions after your interview date? I interviewed 9/18 and was not accepted in the first wave of acceptances. I really hope that the ship hasn't sailed, as this is my top choice medical school! ORM, LizzyM 75.
You can get an admittance now trough the first day of orientation (usually late July).

According to the presentation, if you are not accepted or rejected you will be “in progress” which means they will consider you as time goes on. They meet each week to consider applicants, But with the MMIs, they are projected to finish their decisions by early February. They said they are ahead of schedule this cycle.

For everyone who interviewed, how did you send thank you letters? And also to whom? Because it was MMI, and we were not given the contacts of those who interviewed us, idk what to do lol

For everyone who interviewed, how did you send thank you letters? And also to whom? Because it was MMI, and we were not given the contacts of those who interviewed us, idk what to do lol

I wrote a letter addressed to the admissions committee, wrote what I had to say, printed, signed it by hand, then uploaded the scanned copy in the document tab under the category "Other" with a relevant title. I got accepted so I'm guessing they don't hate this way of doing it

Anyone know when they start sending OOS IIs? I'm a TN resident with very close ties to GA.

Are there any current students able to answer questions about how much free time is available on the Athens campus? After community service requirements, and mandatory small-group and large group learning, I feel like that does not leave a lot of time for studying on my own for Step I or pursuing research.

Do students at the Augusta campus have more free time given that there are less mandatory group learning sessions?