2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah so I most likely won’t hear back until the next decision date since I interviewed Feb 4th. Anyways congrats on your acceptance and I hope more of us get a phone call like you!
I'm in the same boat :( hopefully we get in! I really felt like this school was a great fit

Reactions: 1 user
Ah so I most likely won’t hear back until the next decision date since I interviewed Feb 4th. Anyways congrats on your acceptance and I hope more of us get a phone call like you!
My friend interviewed 2/4 and he heard today he was put on the alternate list. I don't know how they're going down the list making decisions but I interviewed on the same day and haven't heard yet.

My friend interviewed 2/4 and he heard today he was put on the alternate list. I don't know how they're going down the list making decisions but I interviewed on the same day and haven't heard yet.
oh geez well I didn't hear back either. Just checked my email again to calm my anxiety when reading this. Sorry about your friend, but hopefully no news is good news in this case.

Does that status as alternative list shown on portal as well? or just email??

their next 2 decisions days are tomorrow and the 13th
how do you know the decision days? do you know the next one coming up? had a friend who interviewed the same day as me hear already but I haven't gotten any news. We interviewed 2/4.

how do you know the decision days? do you know the next one coming up? had a friend who interviewed the same day as me hear already but I haven't gotten any news. We interviewed 2/4.
Decision dates are on the admission site. Also no news here is good news, I interviewed 9/28 didn’t get the call until November 7th.

Hi ya'll.
Does anyone know what comes first from a decision being made: email, phone call, portal change?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ya'll.
Does anyone know what comes first from a decision being made: email, phone call, portal change?
Phone call if accepted, email if on waitlist or rejected. Email and portal change to everyone.

Decision dates are on the admission site. Also no news here is good news, I interviewed 9/28 didn’t get the call until November 7th.
I saw the decision dates but the next one is Feb 29 and that's not a day this year so I'm wondering when exactly that means haha

I saw the decision dates but the next one is Feb 29 and that's not a day this year so I'm wondering when exactly that means haha
I'm now assuming they meant Feb 27th since its two weeks between the 13th and march 13th

Nah bruh, they said they added Feb 20th as one of their decision days to make up for the one they lost during the polar vortex when the school closed down

Nah bruh, they said they added Feb 20th as one of their decision days to make up for the one they lost during the polar vortex when the school closed down
Where are you guys seeing this? I'm so anxious yet feel so out of the loop

how do people generally feel about the curriculum?

I hear negative things about it but all of those who spoke about it aren’t actually students there, so it could just be nothing more than a negative stigma. I’m curious to hear how students that go there actually feel about it too

I hear negative things about it but all of those who spoke about it aren’t actually students there, so it could just be nothing more than a negative stigma. I’m curious to hear how students that go there actually feel about it too
I talked to a first year about it and they said that they liked all the free time they had to study and some of the professors post up lecture videos while others post reading material but that’s just one student. I’m also curious about the curriculum...

All the students I talked to on my interview day had nothing but positive things to say about the curriculum and definitely seemed the least stressed compared to medical students at other schools I interviewed at.
Personally, I love the fact that students get to spend so much time in clinics across all 4 years.

Reactions: 2 users
All the students I talked to on my interview day had nothing but positive things to say about the curriculum and definitely seemed the least stressed compared to medical students at other schools I interviewed at.
Personally, I love the fact that students get to spend so much time in clinics across all 4 years.

True I remember the same during my interview. But that’s the worrisome part, people say the curriculum basically doesn’t hold your hand and force prepare you for boards like most schools.

how do people generally feel about the curriculum?
I personally know three students at MSU who absolutely love the curriculum. Also, Hearing the students at the interview rave about only reaffirms that it works especially well if you're very motivated and driven but provides enough guidance if you need some handholding or structure. Plus, they mentioned that average step 1 scores increased after the first class with the newly implemented curriculum took it.

Plus, they mentioned that average step 1 scores increased after the first class with the newly implemented curriculum took it.

This, I think they mentioned that their average step score had increased by ~10 points, which is pretty significant. The curriculum definitely forces students to take more responsibility for their own learning, but from my understanding, your required weekly learning is still "highly structured" by faculty.

I personally know three students at MSU who absolutely love the curriculum. Also, Hearing the students at the interview rave about only reaffirms that it works especially well if you're very motivated and driven but provides enough guidance if you need some handholding or structure. Plus, they mentioned that average step 1 scores increased after the first class with the newly implemented curriculum took it.

This could also be that now there is no lecture, people actually have to study a ton more just to feel prepare for step.

True I remember the same during my interview. But that’s the worrisome part, people say the curriculum basically doesn’t hold your hand and force prepare you for boards like most schools.
Well you do have to take those progress suites which if I’m not mistaken are similar to step exams which is integrated into the curriculum so you do have some step prep

This, I think they mentioned that their average step score had increased by ~10 points, which is pretty significant. The curriculum definitely forces students to take more responsibility for their own learning, but from my understanding, your required weekly learning is still "highly structured" by faculty.

10 points would be insanely significant if that's true. I thought I recalled Dr. Maurer saying the pass rate stayed the same (they already had high pass rates), but the average score went up a couple points. The data released in 2018 said the average was 225. However, I'm not sure if that is outdated/old curriculum.

I've also heard the same. I've talked to several students there and many said they have much more free time which gives them enough time to really dive into the material. Which implies that if you're not keeping yourself accountable, it's probably dangerous. Personally, I think the curriculum set-up is great!

Something that isn't really mentioned is how much dedicated time you get to study for Step 1. You have months. Basically at least double what a lot of other schools give. If you really want a high step score then you have all the time you need to prepare.

Reactions: 1 users
Something that isn't really mentioned is how much dedicated time you get to study for Step 1. You have months. Basically at least double what a lot of other schools give. If you really want a high step score then you have all the time you need to prepare.

Does anyone know how many people are usually interviewing the same day??

Last edited:
How long does it usually take to hear a decision back? If the next decision date is March 13th, does that mean that’s when we should expect to hear if we interviewed late February?

How long does it usually take to hear a decision back? If the next decision date is March 13th, does that mean that’s when we should expect to hear if we interviewed late February?
I heard back in 15 days so yeah I would say that sounds about right in your case too!

I heard back in 15 days so yeah I would say that sounds about right in your case too!

Sweet! Thanks! I saw today that the other date is March 1! So idk if that’s too soon but if I hear back by then, that would be great! Also, I think I’d die a little on the inside if I get rejected... lol

Sweet! Thanks! I saw today that the other date is March 1! So idk if that’s too soon but if I hear back by then, that would be great! Also, I think I’d die a little on the inside if I get rejected... lol
I didn't think I did so hot on my interview here at MSU while at other schools I felt like I aced it and got waitlisted. You just never know sometimes so don't sweat it!

As far as this interview goes, just be yourself. This is even a tip that Dr. Maurer himself emphasized right before the MMI because they really do want people who are genuine and humble enough to recognize their own limitations.

I didn't think I did so hot on my interview here at MSU while at other schools I felt like I aced it and got waitlisted. You just never know sometimes so don't sweat it!

As far as this interview goes, just be yourself. This is even a tip that Dr. Maurer himself emphasized right before the MMI because they really do want people who are genuine and humble enough to recognize their own limitations.

Oh for sure! I remember him telling us that tip! I really thought the interviews went great.. the comments I got by the interviewers were great and I felt really good!! I just hope my ordinary stats don’t hold me back is all.. that’s what I’m most fearful of.

Did you hear good news? Because I interviewed the same day as someone else and he heard like a week after and was put on the alternate list but I haven't heard yet.

Oh man keep an eye on that because it keeps changing. The original said Feb 29th (which wasn't a day this year) and the arctic vortex added a day in Feb too. And now they've added a whole other date in April. Crazy. I'm still waiting to hear too, so nervous. I really love this school and would also die on the inside if I get the R; now every decision day my heart is pounding. Also, I'm in CA so the decisions are done by 5pm their time which is 2pm my time and one of my friends got his as early as 6am CA time so I've been setting alarms to check that early every day haha. Such an anxious time. Good Luck!

Oh man keep an eye on that because it keeps changing. The original said Feb 29th (which wasn't a day this year) and the arctic vortex added a day in Feb too. And now they've added a whole other date in April. Crazy. I'm still waiting to hear too, so nervous. I really love this school and would also die on the inside if I get the R; now every decision day my heart is pounding. Also, I'm in CA so the decisions are done by 5pm their time which is 2pm my time and one of my friends got his as early as 6am CA time so I've been setting alarms to check that early every day haha. Such an anxious time. Good Luck!

I’m probably gonna start doing the same because I’m also PST! Wishing you the best!! I heard about the vortex and the date alterations due to February 29th not existing on this year’s calendar. I was expecting it to be changed to feb 27th. However, when I saw it today at March 1st, I thought maybe there’s some hope I hear by then!!!They are definitely a phenomenal school and I’m also wishin the same! You’re still in the fight so keep on hopin! Good luck to you too!

Did anyone send a Thank You note?

Did anyone send a Thank You note?
I sent two the day after my interview - emailed right to admissions. Never heard whether they received them or not

Anyone else constantly checking their email, phones on loud, and feel like their about to have a myocardial infarction? It's the day before the decision date and that's when they usually respond.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else constantly checking their email, phones on loud, and feel like their about to have a myocardial infarction? It's the day before the decision date and that's when they usually respond.
No. No. No. I only cry my eyes out just thinking that tomorrow is decision day. I am TERRIFIED.
When did you interview?