2018-2019 Morehouse School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That’s up to you. I believe the email they send when they get the primary says to email if you don’t get a secondary after a certain amount of time.
I did send them emails like 3 times, called twice and spoke to a guy who told me that they don't send secondaries to everyone. So yeah I believe I did whatever the email you read said.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who is also applying who just got a secondary after primary being verified in August. So maybe they are sending them out in waves?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit late to the party, but I submitted my original application on 9/24 and received the secondary on 9/28.

My stats are nothing to write home about, but my personal statement and history would make the Pope weep. I'm certain that is the only thing that saved me.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a friend who is also applying who just got a secondary after primary being verified in August. So maybe they are sending them out in waves?
Probably, I kinda lost hope when they told me that they don't send it to everyone. Considering that some people who were verified later than me got secondaries first, I thought it would be a pre-secondary rejection so I didn't bother pre-writing the essay.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I submitted my original application on 9/24 and received the secondary on 9/28.

My stats are nothing to write home about, but my personal statement and history would make the Pope weep. I'm certain that is the only thing that saved me.

I don’t think they read personal statements before giving secondaries, lol.

I don’t think they read personal statements before giving secondaries, lol.

Yea they def don’t read your personal statement before sending you a secondary. Because I got mine literally 5 mins after being verified by AMCAS

I need your advice.

So my GPA and Science GPA are on within averages of Morehouse but my MCAT is low, like less than 500. I am within range of all the sub sections I believe from MSAR but on the lower end. My EC all follow their mission and have good recs and clinical experience, am OOS and Asian. Does anyone know if they have hard MCAT cutoffs, I can't seem to find anything online. Would it be worth even applying?

I need your advice.

So my GPA and Science GPA are on within averages of Morehouse but my MCAT is low, like less than 500. I am within range of all the sub sections I believe from MSAR but on the lower end. My EC all follow their mission and have good recs and clinical experience, am OOS and Asian. Does anyone know if they have hard MCAT cutoffs, I can't seem to find anything online. Would it be worth even applying?

Go for it. Morehouse looks for fit instead of high scores so if you can express your passion for serving the underserved, addressing health disparities, building health equity then apply. They don’t have a hard MCAT cutoff and a MSM faculty member has told me that they accept a lot of students with below 500 MCAT scores.

EDIT: To be more specific, he stated about 40-50% of the class have MCAT scores below 500.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview today [10.02] Complete 7/27. OOS!

Hey guys so I was verified on 9/4, emailed admissions and still haven't received a secondary or heard from admissions. Is this a pre-secondary rejection?

Hey guys so I was verified on 9/4, emailed admissions and still haven't received a secondary or heard from admissions. Is this a pre-secondary rejection?
It seems to vary quite a lot. Some folks are reporting getting a secondary the same day their initial is accepted. Some have been a few days (I was four days between acceptance and secondary). Yet others seem to be multiple weeks.

I'd give them a call and just ask.

Waiting patiently for any news is hard. Complete 8/28... I guess we will see

It is so hard to get hold of admissions and hear any update..it is such a suspense. :(

When were you complete? Stats?

Sure! Feel free to ask questions!
I’m a non traditional applicant. Graduated in 2013.
Undergrad gpa: 3.48
Grad gpa: 3.7
MCAT: 502
Complete 8/30
Applied last year with 494, waitlisted.

Reactions: 2 users
Complete 8/30
Congratulations!!! Is there like a specific page where we can see our status? Or did you just receive an email!

For those of you that received II’s or already interviewed... on the ApplyWeb website, did your status change from submitted to confirmed?

For those of you that received II’s or already interviewed... on the ApplyWeb website, did your status change from submitted to confirmed?

I got a confirmed email from Morehouse back in August after I submitted my secondary. On the portal there's an events tab where you schedule your interview. I don't think there was a status change apart from the new tab.

I got a confirmed email from Morehouse back in August after I submitted my secondary. On the portal there's an events tab where you schedule your interview. I don't think there was a status change apart from the new tab.

Okay, thanks. I was just wondering because after I submitted my secondary back in september the following email said: “To verify that the admissions office has printed, checked and confirmed your application, please check for "Confirmed" in your Personal Activity Page...”

How are the interviews here? I think they're traditional, but like are they with faculty members only or are there student interviewers too?

How are the interviews here? I think they're traditional, but like are they with faculty members only or are there student interviewers too?
Yes they are traditional, one in the morning and one after lunch. I had faculty interviewers. I don't think they used any student interviewers.

How'd it go for you

To all the people I interviewed with: good lucky! You were all so fun to spend the day with. You were all so impressive, fun, and humble.
To the people who haven't interviewed: good lucky with everything! The interviews are nothing to worry too much about. They are very conversational, and over the course of the day, you grow to know everyone in your group and the faculty pretty well. It was a very pleasant interview day. I hope it is the same way for you all.

Reactions: 2 users
To all the people I interviewed with: good lucky! You were all so fun to spend the day with. You were all so impressive, fun, and humble.
To the people who haven't interviewed: good lucky with everything! The interviews are nothing to worry too much about. They are very conversational, and over the course of the day, you grow to know everyone in your group and the faculty pretty well. It was a very pleasant interview day. I hope it is the same way for you all.

Thanks for the kind words! I'll be interviewing here in 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to it!

when did you interview, and what school are you from?

Just received a R (post secondary). Good luck to everyone who got interviews!

Complete 8/30

Congrats and goodluck!

Any tips on what you did differently this time around as a reapplicant?

:( what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

I focused on improving my MCAT with the help of a tutor. I also rewrote my personal statement and focused on my journey and why I want to pursue medicine.

Submitted my secondary July 23rd but just received a complete email today

Submitted my secondary July 23rd but just received a complete email today

Similar timing for myself! Hoping there’s not too much time between now and II/R, I just wanna know haha

Complete 8/30

What "non-trad" are you? I'm 35, spent 15+ years as a paramedic with solid experience. 3.65gpa 506mcat
Trying to see what the likelihood of getting an interview is.

Thanks

I just checked my application portal through the website where the secondaries were submitted and under "view checklist" it says my interview status is "to be determined." Does anyone have a similar message?

I am wondering if this means they've looked at my application and put it in the On Hold pile to be looked at a later date, or if they have not even looked at my application yet.