2019-2020 Morehouse

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DO deposits give me acute blood pressure and anxiety. The nonrefundable part breaks my heart 🙁
Breaks my heart AND my wallet. If Morehouse doesn't come thru, I'll have spent $5k securing seats at DO schools.
yeah i already lost 1k and have a 2k deposit on another school whilst awaiting an MD school in new york.. sooooo yikes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How did you decline?
I sent my withdrawal e-mail last week and followed up today and they responded within 5 minutes, so I would follow up one more time today. I'd be very surprised if they don't respond to you by the end of the day. They also mentioned we probably won't get our deposit back until Mid-May with everything going on. Best of luck everyone!!!
 
I dont care much about MD vs DO. I care more about a compassionate and well-rounded physician.

i wouldn’t as care much too if I’m only interested in less competitive specialties. But there is a bias for MD over DO among residency program directors. The MD letters will give you an upper hand during the matching process for residency. For example, it will help you get into more competitive specialties (ortho,derm/ophtho/neurosurg/etc.) or more highly desirable (urban) residencies.

However, that is not to say that DOs cannot match into a highly competitive specialty in a desirable location. They just have to work a lot harder for it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i wouldn’t as care much too if I’m only interested in less competitive specialties. But there is a bias for MD over DO among residency program directors. The MD letters will give you an upper hand during the matching process for residency. For example, it will help you get into more competitive specialties (ortho,derm/ophtho/neurosurg/etc.) or more highly desirable (urban) residencies.

However, that is not to say that DOs cannot match into a highly competitive specialty in a desirable location. They just have to work a lot harder for it.
yeah my point exactly. i don't want to limit myself to just primary care.. and MDs do have the upper hand when it comes to those more competitive specialties
 
Does Morehouse silently reject after interviews? Haven’t heard a peep since I interviewed back in mid February.
A student from Morehouse told me they reject after interviews, but I haven't seen anyone with post-interview rejections here. It took them 3 months to waitlist me, but since it's so late in the cycle I can't see them waitlisting more people.
 
Just a heads up to future applicants, Morehouse doesn't refund those $100 deposits. I know that probably seems small to people in the grand scheme of things... but I'm broke so... would've been nice

If you withdrew on or before April 30th, they told me they are refunding the deposit. They just said it would be until mid-May when we actually do get the money back. Hopefully, they follow through with that...?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted off the waitlist with merit scholarship yesterday. Declined due to having accepted a better offer at another school already, so I hope it goes to one of you guys!
Congratulations that is pretty neat!! I wonder why they would put you on the waitlist if you were deserving of a scholarship though...this whole process is really interesting :thinking:
 
Congratulations that is pretty neat!! I wonder why they would put you on the waitlist if you were deserving of a scholarship though...this whole process is really interesting :thinking:
Its a crazy process. I know someone who got accepted the last minute and still got scholarship.