2018-2019 Rush University Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irish18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Rush University Rush Medical College

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im really interested in this school but not sure how I stack up because of their community service. Anybody have an idea of the minimum they screen for? I have approx 130-230 non clinical (one volunteer is listed under another non volunteer activity) and about 300 clinical. Dont know if its worth throwing my app in there or if it will be a waste.

Im really interested in this school but not sure how I stack up because of their community service. Anybody have an idea of the minimum they screen for? I have approx 130-230 non clinical (one volunteer is listed under another non volunteer activity) and about 300 clinical. Dont know if its worth throwing my app in there or if it will be a waste.
Their average is around ~1k clinical and ~1k volunteering. I don't know if there's a particular cut off that they screen for, though. If you think you fit their mission and write good essays, I think it's worth putting your hat in.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I completed my Masters at Rush, word was that their medical college cutoff for community service was 150 hours.

Should be non-clinical. Though you should also have clinical hours too.
I wonder how they look at that. I have non clinical volunteering through my intercollegiate sport and I listed the volunteering in the activity description. Hopefully they dont just look for total hours under an activity listed non clinical volunteering :/

Anyone know if military counts as non-clinical volunteering? Because it kinda is, lol

Anyone know if military counts as non-clinical volunteering? Because it kinda is, lol
I do not think so. I believe it is listed under "Military Service," both in AMCAS and in the MSAR. It can be an extraordinary or stellar EC, however, but I don't think it has the potential to overlap with non-clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 users
It doesn’t. Plus don’t you get paid for it along with some other benefits? Was there a particular part of it you were trying to spin as non clinical volunteering?

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn’t. Plus don’t you get paid for it along with some other benefits? Was there a particular part of it you were trying to spin as non clinical volunteering?
Exactly. There's nothing volunteer-like about it if you're receiving a salary plus BAS/BAH plus health insurance plus more... if you volunteered with an organization as a result of being in the military (soup kitchens with fellow officers, etc.), then maybe make that a separate activity, if you have substantial hours.

Nope, I just (obviously) have a lot more military hours than non-clinical hours. I was hoping Rush would maybe take those hours in its place.

Nope, I just (obviously) have a lot more military hours than non-clinical hours. I was hoping Rush would maybe take those hours in its place.
I think being in the military makes you a very non-traditional applicant. While Rush prioritizes volunteer hours, I wouldn't count you out if you're 'weak' in that area. Being in the military can definitely embody servant leadership, sacrifice, integrity, and many other great qualities.

It also doesn't hurt to call their admissions, run through your stats/ECs quickly, and ask if you would be a competitive applicant there compared to those who matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)

Incoming M1 at Rush here:

Definitely apply to Rush. I had roughly the same amount of clinical and non-clinical hours as you with only a 508 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, average research and good ECs. I'm also a white, straight, and middle-class male. Perhaps what helped me get in were the service projects mentioned in my personal statement and interprofessional interests in my essays.

Incoming M1 at Rush here:

Definitely apply to Rush. I had roughly the same amount of clinical and non-clinical hours as you with only a 508 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, average research and good ECs. I'm also a white, straight, and middle-class male. Perhaps what helped me get in were the service projects mentioned in my personal statement and interprofessional interests in my essays.
Hmmm ok! Ill def keep them now! I have above avg research I think (1600 hours and an abstract) and am also a white middle class male but also LGBT from rural consecrative midwest with a lot of involvement in the LGBT community with a mission to decrease LGBT healthcare disparities in medicine. I dont have a ton of hours but I think you can tell through my essays that Im really passionate about his mission. And with Rush being in Chi, I think it will help me push towards this goal with the city being very accepting of LGBT people. Ill keep you posted!

When did you apply to Rush. Can you please post secondary questions?
1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed your insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)
2. Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this. (1000 characters)
3. Reflect on a time in which you personally gained more from an experience than what was expected. (1000 characters)
4. What do you hope to gain from your Rush Medical College experience that will make you a better/different physician? (1000 characters)

secondary received!

stuck on the question asking about a rule that I didn't agree with

Reactions: 2 users
Somehow made it past the screen without hitting the volunteer minimums. Hopefully thats a good sign for the rest of the cycle!

For status of letters of reccomendations, does it say "not received" for anyone else? I was verified by AMCAS on June 14th and received the Rush secondary on July 5th, so I'm wondering why the letter is showing as "missing reference."

Anyone with me?

can you link me to where on the website? I searched around on their website and didn't find any of the hour requirements. Thank you! I did not realize they had 150 non-clinical volunteer/service requirement :/ I have over 500+ hours of clinical experience (summer internships at a clinics - all paid) and 500+ hours clinical community service/volunteering hours (unpaid). I don't have any nonclinical volunteer experiences that are unpaid though :(
I think you should go ahead and apply anyways because 500+ hours of service is quite a bit, and I'm not sure how hard they stick to their hour minimums. The point of non-clinical volunteering is to show that you care about serving others, not just about medicine/clinical things, so if your 500 hours include some significant impact especially on underserved populations, you may be in the clear

I
can you link me to where on the website? I searched around on their website and didn't find any of the hour requirements. Thank you! I did not realize they had 150 non-clinical volunteer/service requirement :/ I have over 500+ hours of clinical experience (summer internships at a clinics - all paid) and 500+ hours clinical community service/volunteering hours (unpaid). I don't have any nonclinical volunteer experiences that are unpaid though :(
I saw somewhere on reddit about it. I could have sworn I saw it on their site somewhere but can't find it now.Def apply because I was lower than 150 non clinical and about 300ish clinical volunteer hours and still got one so theres a good shot if they like your other ECs!

They only review after verification, so you can keep an eye out form there on!

Does anyone know if they prioritize sending out secondaries to residents first? What is the screening process to get a secondary? Thanks.

Does anyone know if they prioritize sending out secondaries to residents first? What is the screening process to get a secondary? Thanks.
I don't think so. I got mine 3 days after adding them and Im not a resident. I think they look at service commitment the most but will consider other factors if you aren't super service heavy.

Does anyone know how specific they are at defining service? I have ~500hrs of TA work and wondered if that would be viewed under the same lens. Looking forward to getting a secondary after I'm verified!

(Note: I still have an additional ~250hrs of nonclinical volunteer work in my app)

So for "Reflect on a time in which you personally gained more from an experience than what was expected. (1000 characters)" are y'all reading that as you gained more than you were expecting going into it, or you gained more than what was expected of you (ie. You went above and beyond)?

Does anyone know how specific they are at defining service? I have ~500hrs of TA work and wondered if that would be viewed under the same lens. Looking forward to getting a secondary after I'm verified!

(Note: I still have an additional ~250hrs of nonclinical volunteer work in my app)
Was it paid work?

So for "Reflect on a time in which you personally gained more from an experience than what was expected. (1000 characters)" are y'all reading that as you gained more than you were expecting going into it, or you gained more than what was expected of you (ie. You went above and beyond)?

This actually sounds like a great prompt for a failure essay

Reactions: 2 users
I did mine about going into a situation (shadowing) expecting to just learn about that but the physician was super open and honest and I learned about a lot of stuff like balancing a family, how to deal with rejection, etc.

Does anyone think I should try calling admissions to see why I never received a secondary? I know I have over 150 hrs in clinical and non clinical, but a lot of the non clinical hours were through a club so I marked it as an extra curricular. Or do you think they would know that anyways?

For the question "Were you employed during the time you were enrolled in your undergraduate studies?" would having a job during the summer count? I never worked during the academic year, but did work in the summer.

For the question "Were you employed during the time you were enrolled in your undergraduate studies?" would having a job during the summer count? I never worked during the academic year, but did work in the summer.
I would count it

Do they do silent rejections? No secondary yet here.

I'm fairly sure that doesn't count. They're trying to assess if you had to work while taking classes to survive/help family and whether or not that might have affected grades or shows multi-tasking and great time management in the positive case. If you're not taking classes in the summer, you're not "enrolled". Not trying to be a stickler, this is just my experience with these types of questions.

Hey guys and gals,
My application should be verified by then end of the week. I have 4 letters of rec that I marked to send to each school I applied to (n=18). I saw that Rush only accepts 3 letters. Is there a way to change which letters get sent without withdrawing your application?
I also obtained my Master's from Rush and volunteered at a local high school the whole time. I would say 400hrs non-clinical 180hrs clinical, two letters of rec from Rush professors