2018-2019 Rush University Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys and gals,
My application should be verified by then end of the week. I have 4 letters of rec that I marked to send to each school I applied to (n=18). I saw that Rush only accepts 3 letters. Is there a way to change which letters get sent without withdrawing your application?
I also obtained my Master's from Rush and volunteered at a local high school the whole time. I would say 400hrs non-clinical 180hrs clinical, two letters of rec from Rush professors
Yes. Letters of recommendation are one of the things you can change after submitting your primary. You just log into your AMCAS app and just like when you assigned them, go in and delete the fourth letter you originally assigned and don’t want sent. You may not be able to do this until they actually verify your app since what you submitted is already under review. I could be wrong and you may be able to edit it regardless. But yes, you can change letter designations after submitting your primary just make sure to submit the app again so the changes are official.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys and gals,
My application should be verified by then end of the week. I have 4 letters of rec that I marked to send to each school I applied to (n=18). I saw that Rush only accepts 3 letters. Is there a way to change which letters get sent without withdrawing your application?
I also obtained my Master's from Rush and volunteered at a local high school the whole time. I would say 400hrs non-clinical 180hrs clinical, two letters of rec from Rush professors
In the secondary, it asks you to list the 3 LORs you want them to read IIRC.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Letters of recommendation are one of the things you can change after submitting your primary. You just log into your AMCAS app and just like when you assigned them, go in and delete the fourth letter you originally assigned and don’t want sent. You may not be able to do this until they actually verify your app since what you submitted is already under review. I could be wrong and you may be able to edit it regardless. But yes, you can change letter designations after submitting your primary just make sure to submit the app again so the changes are official.

Hey guys and gals,
This isn't entirely true. You can only change LORs before you assign them to the school. Once they're assigned you're outta luck

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the info kind strangers

Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this

how did you guys answer this prompt? I can't think of any situation

Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this

I'm using a time I was asked to perform medical procedures I was not trained or licensed for. It could be something as simple as boss person says X, but you thought Y was better/more efficient

I talked about me training a new person and the manager above me told me to teach them a shortcut which could either go really well or really really badly. And I decided to not show him because I didnt want to teach him poor techniques that he may pass along to others and compromise the quality of our store/product. Also I knew the GM would be mad if people were training the new hires this.

Does anyone run into an issue with LORs and the questionnaire? I submitted mine 2 weeks ago and it's still marked incomplete.

thank goodness
I got an additional letter and I asked them if I could send it and have them read that instead (after I submitted my secondary) and they said because of the amount of apps, they cant. So make sure you get the 3 LORs right haha

I got an additional letter and I asked them if I could send it and have them read that instead (after I submitted my secondary) and they said because of the amount of apps, they cant. So make sure you get the 3 LORs right haha

That's understandable. At least they're upfront about it and don't throw out your application if you miss their LOR info. I'm still awaiting verification but I submitted 4 recs to Rush, so like you said, I'll just have to specify the 3 that I want them to read. It's interesting because most schools require at least 2 science letters.

Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own.

How are you guys writing this? Are you focusing on one specific experience?

Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own.

How are you guys writing this? Are you focusing on one specific experience?

It's just a rephrasing of your average diversity essay, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's just a rephrasing of your average diversity essay, IMO.
I guess. My diversity essay was more geared towards socioeconomic struggles than it was culture so now I feel like I should write another essay for this

I guess. My diversity essay was more geared towards socioeconomic struggles than it was culture so now I feel like I should write another essay for this
I wrote about an experience I had while traveling. Maybe try that?

Did anyone else just get an email saying "Congrats...." and then that their application is complete and being forwarded to the review committee and get excited for nothing?
+1 I had a mild heart attack for nothing. I thought it was already in review

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone else just get an email saying "Congrats...." and then that their application is complete and being forwarded to the review committee and get excited for nothing?

The email literally starts with “Congratulations!” I mean what are you congratulating me for? Paying the fee and writing the essays? Schools better use that word very carefully.

Reactions: 5 users
I received the same email this morning. Is this the first day anyone has received a complete email?

I had all the checkmarks on the "App Status" page green, including "Application is Complete" on July 6th and just received the same email today, 19 days later. I have heard they factor in rolling admissions considerably, so that is kind of startling if the receipt of that email determines the order in which applications are being considered...

got my complete email today.
secondary submitted on 7/9.

I received the same email this morning. Is this the first day anyone has received a complete email?
I got my complete email on 7/9 right after I submitted with the confirmation email

For the picture that you have to upload, do they want your state ID or just a headshot?

For the picture that you have to upload, do they want your state ID or just a headshot?
Anyone received interview calls
My status is updated review is completed and we will inform by email. What it means ?

Last edited:
Do they do silent rejections? No secondary yet here.
Does anyone think I should try calling admissions to see why I never received a secondary? I know I have over 150 hrs in clinical and non clinical, but a lot of the non clinical hours were through a club so I marked it as an extra curricular. Or do you think they would know that anyways?
I would honestly just be patient. It is still early in the process. They screen applicants.

Secondary received. Verified earlier in the week. Also btw who are you guys using for your personal letter if you are doing the 3 letter choice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

He takes the QB snap.......he scrambles to the left.......he avoids the oncoming tackler........ he throws the hailmary........oooooooohhhhhhhh REJECTED!!!!!! :wow:

good luck guys...

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted- reapplicant
How many interviews do you guys think have been sent?

What is everyone doing for individual LORs? The categories seem fairly specific and I'm wondering if mine would meet criteria: humanities professor (academic), volunteer clinical research PI (non-academic), employed clinical research PI (personal).

Regarding the school's service requirement...am I wasting my time applying if I have < 100 volunteer hours but > 7000 clinical experience hours? I did get a secondary so I'm thinking it's worth a shot?

Application status says all 3 letters have been received, but still marks LOR as complete. Should I be concerned one isn't signed or something??

I didn't realize their high service requirements and I applied. I only have about 350 non clinical service hours and 350 Clinical hours. I do however have a really strong research background. I ended up receiving the secondary and after looking at peoples posts on here I am shocked I received it. Do they ever end up taking people with a lower service hours?

I didn't realize their high service requirements and I applied. I only have about 350 non clinical service hours and 350 Clinical hours. I do however have a really strong research background. I ended up receiving the secondary and after looking at peoples posts on here I am shocked I received it. Do they ever end up taking people with a lower service hours?
Where are their service requirements? I never saw those.

Where are their service requirements? I never saw those.
Thats my bad, not a requirement but on the secondary it says the class had an average of 1100 community service hours and 2400 health care exposure hours.

do they screen apps and do yall think its worth me filling out a secondary?
i have around 350+ clinical at a free health clinic, but only around 100 non clinical, 60 in health insurance and 40 (but continuing, i think i projected 100 on app) at a childrens shelter
stats are very average 508/3.65

Do you guys think ~750 clinical and ~600 non-clinical is good? I know it's not up to their standard but...

To everyone wondering about if they have enough hours, remember quality over quantity. Having massive amounts of hours helps, especially at this school, but how you can talk about those hours in your primary, secondary, and interviews is most important

To everyone wondering about if they have enough hours, remember quality over quantity. Having massive amounts of hours helps, especially at this school, but how you can talk about those hours in your primary, secondary, and interviews is most important

Following up this wise advice, remember that their average numbers are just averages. 50% of their students are below those numbers, and we don't know the ins and outs of how every applicant dedicated their time. Rush is absolutely a service school, but if you are committed to that mission and express it well, they'll notice!

Following up this wise advice, remember that their average numbers are just averages. 50% of their students are below those numbers, and we don't know the ins and outs of how every applicant dedicated their time. Rush is absolutely a service school, but if you are committed to that mission and express it well, they'll notice!
Did you mean median or averages? Your point only holds up if it’s a median. Averages can be skewed one way or another. There’s a good chance that a handful of people either have like 6k in hours and are skewing it high or not very many at all which is skewing it low

Did you mean median or averages? Your point only holds up if it’s a median. Averages can be skewed one way or another. There’s a good chance that a handful of people either have like 6k in hours and are skewing it high or not very many at all which is skewing it low

You make a good point and I'm not sure! I'm just an applicant and I don't personally feel the need to check whether they quote is a median or average (although I would hope for the reasons you are stating that they would know a median would be more useful to us), but I think the takeaway still stands. Students and Admissions say the same thing to everyone --if you care about the mission, demonstrate that and it will go a long way :)

I think MSAR says something like 15% of people dont have any clinical volunteering

I think MSAR says something like 15% of people dont have any clinical volunteering
My understanding though is that these people usually have non-clinical volunteering and paid clinical work experience

do they screen apps and do yall think its worth me filling out a secondary?
i have around 350+ clinical at a free health clinic, but only around 100 non clinical, 60 in health insurance and 40 (but continuing, i think i projected 100 on app) at a childrens shelter
stats are very average 508/3.65
If you got a secondary, fill it out. They seem to screen hard for those.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile