2018-2019 Rush University Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm crossing every part of my body that can be crossed ahhhhh

Congrats and good luck to those accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how often do people get accepted from being on Active Consideration?

Anyone get a half tuition scholarship offer that was accepted earlier this fall?

Did anyone hear their scholarship information in the same email as their acceptance or was it sent after?

Got the email today to set up my Rush account and student email. However when I checked in on financial aid it says I need to submit a FAFSA even though I revised/transmitted mine to Rush in early Feb. Anyone in a similar situation? I'm inclined to think the FAFSA status just needs to be manually updated on their end and they'll get to it when they actually process my stuff.

I’m in the same situation

Any current students/Chicago natives. Where do you rent in Chicago? I know nothing of the area.

I have a pet and can bring a car if necessary (wanted to sell it but don’t need to)

Embarrassed to be this person, but I'm really struggling here. Rush is my top (and potentially only) choice and I desperately want to hear any news at all.

Embarrassed to be this person, but I'm really struggling here. Rush is my top (and potentially only) choice and I desperately want to hear any news at all.

Take a deep breath and focus your attention on other things. The entire med school application process is a nightmare -- this will be my third cycle and I was finally successful. I went through a lot of hardships relating to both the application process as well as personal life so I can understand a bit of what you're feeling right now. With regards to Rush at this point its entirely out of your hands so stressing about it will accomplish nothing. I learned that a lot of my stress was coming from desperately craving a sense of progression again -- something I think a lot of professional and graduate students also have. I encourage you to engage some other hobbies/side projects to distract yourself from all of this application stuff. If you do unfortunately have to apply another cycle don't take it too hard. If you really, truly want to be a doctor then you owe it to yourself to try again. And if you do end up successful then you'll appreciate the opportunity that much more and have extra motivation to be a great doc and heal your patients. If you do end up needing to reapply be extra practical too; apply to a wide variety of schools MD and DO with maybe even a Master's program too in something else as an emergency safety net so that if medical school really isn't happening you still have some viable career progression. That's what I ended up doing this past year and it made it waaaaaay easier to get through the process knowing that I at least had a Master's in a decent field lined up.

Sorry if all of that was unwanted advice -- your comment just struck a chord with me and I didn't want someone to go through the same dark mood I went through awhile back.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! Interviewed in December, they even offered a half scholarship, there’s going to be hard decisions in April

Accepted with Half tuition! Now I'm confused!!!!

Same here! This is just making my decisions a lot more difficult!

I'm curious just to get a better understanding of rRush's application cycle this year. Any insights on the half scholarship offers? Did y'all have really good scores/applications, significant financial need, or URM? Or is Rush having a hard time getting firm commitments on their class this year, so needs to throw money at it?

Rush's 2019 match list for anyone interested:

Attachments

• MatchDay_2019_ExternalList.pdf
    28.6 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone interviewed on Feb. 27th and is on active consideration hear back ?

Does anyone know if they're reviewing waitlist applicants as people say that they aren't going, or are they going to wait until the April 30th deadline for everyone to only choose one school?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they're reviewing waitlist applicants as people say that they aren't going, or are they going to wait until the April 30th deadline for everyone to only choose one school?
Would like to know as well as to decide when to send my update letter in

What's the waitlist movement at Rush usually like? Any current students here who know? It seemed like during the interview, Jill spent a good chunk of time going over the new traffic rules, so I wonder if this means Rush is planning on utilizing the waitlist more

From last year's posts, it seemed like there wasn't much movement last year, but not too sure tbh.

Does anyone know how long it takes for "plan to enroll" button to show up on AMCAS? I got accepted and have accepted the offer on Rush's portal but I don't see plan to enroll on AMCAS.

Does anyone know how long it takes for "plan to enroll" button to show up on AMCAS? I got accepted and have accepted the offer on Rush's portal but I don't see plan to enroll on AMCAS.
I don't think it shows up until the end of April?

I don't think it shows up until the end of April?
oN the portal it said that it is available from feb 15th once you are accepted to at least one medical school. Rush was my first. Maybe it will take a few days.

Does anyone know if we can bring family members to second look?

Anyone know the merit scholarship timeline? Have they been sent out by this point?

For anyone that had Rush as their first acceptance, how long did it take for the choose your med school tool thing to show up? Feeling anxious here. I got an acceptance offer and submitted deposit n all of that stuff, but I still don't see that tool on amcas. :l

Has anyone emailed the accepted students email for Rush and gotten a response? I emailed them on Friday and they still have not responded;o Whereas when I was sending an update letter to the RMC_Interview email they responded within a day.

I'm curious just to get a better understanding of rRush's application cycle this year. Any insights on the half scholarship offers? Did y'all have really good scores/applications, significant financial need, or URM? Or is Rush having a hard time getting firm commitments on their class this year, so needs to throw money at it?

Sorry it took so long to respond. Everything about my scores was average except I did tout a very unique story / theme with my app which might have helped. Oh and I’m am a black male so there’s that too

A couple of questions:
- How helpful is the second look day if I know I will be coming to Rush? I was accepted recently, so flights are already getting expensive, so I don't know if it is worth taking the trip up.
- When do we get an email with access to accepted students facebook groups?
- Does Rush have a any specific resources dedicated to finding roommates for next year, or is it just reaching out to people at Second Look and through the facebook group?
- Lastly, I have looked a little bit into the different neighborhoods that students typically live in, but (directing this at past students) which neighborhoods do YOU guys think are the best for first year students looking for cheaper housing?

For access to FB group, you could email Alyssa at the RMCinterview email. I emailed the enteringclass email and no one responded, but when I emailed RMC interview one, she responded with the password.

If anyone who is accepted is a DACA student, please PM me. I have some questions.

Anyone know the merit scholarship timeline? Have they been sent out by this point?

Aftering talking to a few recipients, it seems like the merit scholarship required an application that would be sent to you. Thus, if you have been accepted and have not received any application to apply it would seem that you were pre-screened.
Nothing official, but that is what it looks like. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Last edited:
Okay, I think I have the merit scholarship figured out. (Please anyone fact check me). It sounds like the merit scholarship is only for URM. It was an application that you would be invited to fill out as part of the diversity and inclusion program.
I reached out to a bunch of people who told me they got it and that was the consistent theme I heard.
Nothing official, but that is what it looks like.

I don't think this is worth dissecting. If you get offered a merit scholarship, cool. If you don't, it's not your business why anyone got one.

I don't think this is worth dissecting. If you get offered a merit scholarship, cool. If you don't, it's not your business why anyone got one.

Not so much trying to dissect anything, but the people who I talked to said there was an application. I posted because want to make sure I didn’t miss anything. (Did I miss an e-mail with an application?). I was reaching out to to form to fact check/confirm.

Edit:
Also, I think you may have misinterpreted my original post (may have been my bad wording). Im not trying to figure out why anyone got one. I got my financial aid a few weeks back and I am simply trying to see if It’s an opportunity for me or not (I have to make a school decision soon and currently Rush is not my cheapest option).

Last edited:
Not so much trying to dissect anything, but the people who I talked to said there was an application. I posted because want to make sure I didn’t miss anything. (Did I miss an e-mail with an application?). I was reaching out to to form to fact check/confirm.

Edit:
Also, I think you may have misinterpreted my original post (may have been my bad wording). Im not trying to figure out why anyone got one. I got my financial aid a few weeks back and I am simply trying to see if It’s an opportunity for me or not (I have to make a school decision soon and currently Rush is not my cheapest option).

I get it! Congrats, and good luck :) But it's easy for these kinds of posts (re: URM admissions) to snowball in an ugly direction. The minute someone publicly says "this opportunity was for URM", the wrong person will take it and run with it, publicly or privately.

These processes are private for a reason, and I think we need to trust that whatever communications we get from admissions offices are the final word.

I get it! Congrats, and good luck :) But it's easy for these kinds of posts (re: URM admissions) to snowball in an ugly direction. The minute someone publicly says "this opportunity was for URM", the wrong person will take it and run with it, publicly or privately.

These processes are private for a reason, and I think we need to trust that whatever communications we get from admissions offices are the final word.

Hmmm, I see your point. I can also appreciate that perspective regarding my orriganol post. Thanks for bringing that up, I edited my post to hopefully better reflect my intentions.

Does anyone who attended second-look have any useful information to share? Any information regarding waitlists?

Hey all, withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you great people!

Hey—I know this was talked about earlier but I want some clarification as I make my final decisions. During the preclinical years, do the professors provide the self-directed learning materials/lecture videos, or are we expected to find these resources ourselves? If we have to find them ourselves, I question why I’m paying all this tuition money to the college instead of to pathoma or whatever outside source I’m using...Can a current student comment on how it all works? I guess I just don’t understand it well yet, coming from undergrad where learning materials are all like handed to us.

Hey—I know this was talked about earlier but I want some clarification as I make my final decisions. During the preclinical years, do the professors provide the self-directed learning materials/lecture videos, or are we expected to find these resources ourselves? If we have to find them ourselves, I question why I’m paying all this tuition money to the college instead of to pathoma or whatever outside source I’m using...Can a current student comment on how it all works? I guess I just don’t understand it well yet, coming from undergrad where learning materials are all like handed to us.

No they're definitely provided by the school! Professors record lecture videos, etc.

Just emailed to withdraw my acceptance and half scholarship! Good luck y’all!

Praying for waitlist movement beginning this week! :xf:

Reactions: 3 users