2018-2019 Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how to receive a campus key? Do we receive it when we confirm our enrollment or will instructions be sent in a different email?
If I remember correctly, you will get an email from IS&T services eventually

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed then and was placed on HPWL today

I'm graduating from Jeff in 2 months, and about 5 years ago around this time (took a year off for research), I was also put on the WL. There's definitely hope and the WL will move (don't bank on it, but you're not out). If you've been doing things over the year (research, volunteering, etc), write a nice update and express your specific interests in why you want to go to Jeff. Good luck!

Pro-tip, Jeff loves design-innovation stuff so if you do any of that it will be gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is there any chance that more interview invites will be sent out for this school?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have Jeff's match list?

Anyone have Jeff's match list?

I'm not going to write it out, but the list seemed really strong this year. I say "seemed" because it's hard to interpret match lists. Specific programs might be stronger/weaker at places you might not expect, and there is a huge amount of variability amongst individual student's interests and different program's strengths.

That being said, people went to big name places across the board (what most people look for when assessing match lists). Ortho and Optho had strong matches, which is pretty standard at Jeff. Most people I know are going to big name programs like Penn, Hopkins, BWH, GW, UCSF, etc, in a variety of specialties. The last few years I've been at Jeff, we've had strong matches where lots of people are going to programs ranked above Jefferson which means the Jefferson education is strong.

Bottom line, Jeff will get you where you want to go. If you come to Jeff, work hard, get a solid score on Step 1, and do well clinically, you will have the chance to go to top ranked programs in any specialty.

I'm not going to write it out, but the list seemed really strong this year. I say "seemed" because it's hard to interpret match lists. Specific programs might be stronger/weaker at places you might not expect, and there is a huge amount of variability amongst individual student's interests and different program's strengths.

That being said, people went to big name places across the board (what most people look for when assessing match lists). Ortho and Optho had strong matches, which is pretty standard at Jeff. Most people I know are going to big name programs like Penn, Hopkins, BWH, GW, UCSF, etc, in a variety of specialties. The last few years I've been at Jeff, we've had strong matches where lots of people are going to programs ranked above Jefferson which means the Jefferson education is strong.

Bottom line, Jeff will get you where you want to go. If you come to Jeff, work hard, get a solid score on Step 1, and do well clinically, you will have the chance to go to top ranked programs in any specialty.
My concern with jeff is class size. I am at the point where i don't want to compete for resources or research opportunities.

My concern with jeff is class size. I am at the point where i don't want to compete for resources or research opportunities.

This is a totally reasonable concern, and was the main concern I had when I decided to come here. There are pros and cons to the class size. A pro for me was that there are more opportunities within robust student groups to work in the community than smaller schools, there are also more people so you will definitely find a group of people with similar interests and be friends with (Jeff also tends to be really social anyways). A con this year, for example, there were like 25 people who went into gen surg. They all matched and went to excellent programs, but it's still harder to stand out amongst your peers when you're competing against more people at your school.

Everyone can do research and get good projects if they want it, but there is definitely a reasonable concern about it (ask Callahan on 2nd look to get better answers).

This is a totally reasonable concern, and was the main concern I had when I decided to come here. There are pros and cons to the class size. A pro for me was that there are more opportunities within robust student groups to work in the community than smaller schools, there are also more people so you will definitely find a group of people with similar interests and be friends with (Jeff also tends to be really social anyways). A con this year, for example, there were like 25 people who went into gen surg. They all matched and went to excellent programs, but it's still harder to stand out amongst your peers when you're competing against more people at your school.

Everyone can do research and get good projects if they want it, but there is definitely a reasonable concern about it (ask Callahan on 2nd look to get better answers).
Jeff has a summer research stipend right?

So much has changed with new curriculum, so I'm not 100% sure on this. For me, there were a number of research programs we could apply for to get summer funding but it wasn't a guarantee. Depends on what kind of research you want to do as well. Maybe someone else knows if this is different now.

Anecdotally, I got $1500 to do a global health project and all the other people who applied for that grant got it.

I’m a first year at Jeff rn so I can talk a little bit about the research here. We each have to do research but there are multiple tracks that you can pick. These include basic science research, design, population health, policy, etc. So it’s really up to you as to what type of research you want to do. We each have a mentor who is responsible for about 5-10 other students, in addition to our PI’s. So while there is a huge class size, Jeff does their best to make it feel a little smaller. In terms of funding, we can each apply for funding and most people get at least some. Some PI’s also pay their students, depending on the project. Hope this helped!

I had submitted my secondary back in September. Never got an interview yet. Is there even an iota of possibility to get invitation for interview at this time?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think last week someone got one... But April 15th is when you have to narrow down acceptances, then Second Look Day is the 18th, then 30th is narrow down to one acceptance.. So I'm not sure if there are anymore invites are going out..

I had submitted my secondary back in September. Never got an interview yet. Is there even an iota of possibility to get invitation for interview at this time?

I'd give it the week and if you don't get an invitation for an April interview I'd call it quits.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received financial aid award letters yet? Or has anyone had luck getting Jeff to match small scholarships at peer schools?

Interviewing here next week and wondering if anyone has any tips/advice. Is there any ethics/situational questions? Really appreciate it! :)

interviewing tomorrow and have similar questions! any tips would be super helpful :)
Interviewing here next week and wondering if anyone has any tips/advice. Is there any ethics/situational questions? Really appreciate it! :)

I think it'll depend from interviewer to interviewer, but I did not get any. I feel like the general idea of the interview is to get to know you and your background and memorable experiences. They also keep it low stress and provide a lot of information about the school so definitely take advantage of that and learn as much as you can!

Reactions: 3 users
I think it'll depend from interviewer to interviewer, but I did not get any. I feel like the general idea of the interview is to get to know you and your background and memorable experiences. They also keep it low stress and provide a lot of information about the school so definitely take advantage of that and learn as much as you can!
Thank you!!

Has anyone received financial aid award letters yet? Or has anyone had luck getting Jeff to match small scholarships at peer schools?
I received mine this past weekend! Not sure about matching scholarships, but a small one was included with mine, so it probably can't hurt to ask.

I didnt get any either

Any idea if there is still a chance to get an interview invite? Nothing since completion in Aug!!

Any idea if there is still a chance to get an interview invite? Nothing since completion in Aug!!

It's between slim and none, and slim's got one foot out the door. For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat. Send in an update if you haven't, but it's definitely a long shot at this point.

At this point I can guarantee you that the only reason reason an II will go out is if someone cancels their interview.

I withdrew my acceptance, good luck y’all!

Reactions: 3 users
Unlikely that most medical schools will negotiate or match a scholarship. It's a seller's market with medical school, and if you're not going to take the seat, there are about a hundred other people that are willing to take it for you without them having to shell out more money...

Unlikely that most medical schools will negotiate or match a scholarship. It's a seller's market with medical school, and if you're not going to take the seat, there are about a hundred other people that are willing to take it for you without them having to shell out more money...
Do you know if jeff is still interviewing? I’m driving all the way to philly and am hoping my in the area email pulls through during this drive

Any ideas as to which iPad Jeff will be giving to us this year? Is there someone we can ask?

Do you know if jeff is still interviewing? I’m driving all the way to philly and am hoping my in the area email pulls through during this drive
They interview on Wednesdays only, I think.. With all the new rules with April 15th approaching I doubt.. Someome awhile ago said only two days were available when he got an II.

No harm in trying! I let them know about a scholarship from another school and a week later I received a pretty decent merit scholarship. Shoot your shot.

No harm in trying! I let them know about a scholarship from another school and a week later I received a pretty decent merit scholarship. Shoot your shot.

I had a friend who did try to do that and was given a partial match. They understand that medical school is extremely expensive and as long as you're professional about it and not too pushy I'm sure they'd be happy to try to make an accomodation. Either way, worth a shot!

Did you get a merit scholarship from them? Did they send it out by email?

What time of day does Dr. Callahan typically make acceptance calls?

Accepted! Got the call today, interviewed last week! :DDD

Reactions: 5 users
It appears everyone accepted recently got the call the week after their interview. Is there anyone who was accepted 2 weeks or later after their interview day? Thanks

It appears everyone accepted recently got the call the week after their interview. Is there anyone who was accepted 2 weeks or later after their interview day? Thanks

Was accepted yesterday 3 weeks after my interview. One of those weeks was a SKMC vacation week where they said the committee wouldn't meet.

If I didn't interview, and I haven't heard a peep from the school, can I safely assume this is a rejection?