2018-2019 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And now the real paranoia has begun
Someone else posted that they got the same email and called the school and the guy on the phone seemed confused and so said that it might’ve been sent in error

But then they deleted it. So yeah pretty paranoid lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else still just never receive confirmation after sending in their alternate list form?

Interviewed late March, just placed on the alternate list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No luck on having them match my offer at another school. Withdrew my A last night! buh bye

Reactions: 7 users
Do we know if this waitlist is ranked? Does interviewing late bode poorly/interviewing early bode well??

On alternate list.. is this the same as the waitlist ? A lot of movement this week

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone not heard back at all? I interviewed last week of March and haven't heard anything. Not even put on the waitlist.

Maybe my paranoia is taking over, but ~5 acceptances reported on SDN alone makes me wonder if they filled all the spots that opened up on April 30 in one fell swoop.

Because I am a crazy person, I went back and counted the past 3 years of WL acceptances that we’re posted on SDN and it’s been around an average of 20 people so it’s definitely not over! Even if it was filled again on that day people are still waiting for other WL decisions after all!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Because I am a crazy person, I went back and counted the past 3 years of WL acceptances that we’re posted on SDN and it’s been around an average of 20 people so it’s definitely not over! Even if it was filled again on that day people are still waiting for other WL decisions after all!
The hero we needed, but not the one we deserve

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
No luck on having them match my offer at another school. Withdrew my A last night! buh bye
Do you mind me asking how you went about asking them to match the other offer? Does Downstate generally not offer any additional money to students?

Are there any current students here who would be willing to answer a few of my questions as an accepted student? Thanks!!

Do you mind me asking how you went about asking them to match the other offer? Does Downstate generally not offer any additional money to students?
I worded it as a "financial barrier" and "the responsible decision". Then I said, "Ayyy lil mama, you got the green?" They then sent me an email stating I would need to take out $100,000 for the first year......... so I said, "YEET"

*majority of this is paraphrased from what actually happened*

Reactions: 5 users
Maybe a little movement today if they're offering spots at a weekly cadence?

Just officially committed (woo). Got off the waitlist late last week. Sure plenty of spots will open up as it seems that waitlist movement usually peaks in mid-late May (committee likely has to meet again, students get 5 business days to make a decision, few more days to process, etc. etc.)

For anyone that gets off the waitlist, I would be happy to talk as I had trouble making a final decision and discussed this fact with numerous students, gaining a ton of valuable insight in the process.

Best of luck to everyone! Stay positive.

Reactions: 4 users
Just officially committed (woo). Got off the waitlist late last week. Sure plenty of spots will open up as it seems that waitlist movement usually peaks in mid-late May (committee likely has to meet again, students get 5 business days to make a decision, few more days to process, etc. etc.)

For anyone that gets off the waitlist, I would be happy to talk as I had trouble making a final decision and discussed this fact with numerous students, gaining a ton of valuable insight in the process.

Best of luck to everyone! Stay positive.

Sent you a PM! Would greatly appreciate any feedback

I finally saw Downstate in my select your medical school tool on amcas and I selected plan to enroll, however, I never received an email informing that I got off the waitlist. Should I be worried. Did I get too excited?

Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted from the Alternate List via email! :) (I interviewed in late March, received Alternate List last Thursday)

I finally saw Downstate in my select your medical school tool on amcas and I selected plan to enroll, however, I never received an email informing that I got off the waitlist. Should I be worried. Did I get too excited?
Sounds like you'll be getting that email from them soon! :)

Edit: also, might want to check your spam just in case.

Last edited:
Got accepted off the waitlist today! interviewed mid Feb, waitlisted end of march

Is anyone who was accepted recently OOS?

Is anyone worried that selecting "plan to enroll" may negatively affect the ability to get off a waitlist?

"Medical schools can see an applicant’s selection (Plan or Commit) including if they selected another medical school or if no decision has been selected."

If seems like most of the acceptances have come from later interview dates! I wonder if any of us earlier interviewees still have a shot

Are new acceptances sent all at the same time or is there still hope of getting an email today?

Are new acceptances sent all at the same time or is there still hope of getting an email today?

No clue. But if it isn't today I think, just based on the five day rule and the fact that they gave out acceptances these last two weeks that they might be sending out weekly acceptances till the CTE deadline.

We will see. I'm just trying to remain hopeful

Reactions: 3 users
Declined my spot today. I hope one of you lovely people gets it!

Reactions: 8 users
Has anyone heard about the summer pre-matriculation program? I was just invited to it but it seems so sudden. Is it really that beneficial?

Definitely seems beneficial but giving up 5 weeks of what is essentially my last responsibility-free summer isn’t that enticing...

I’m also wondering what the purpose of the program is/who is selected?

I was planning on traveling during that time so this would change things.

Did anyone else on the alternate list just receive the email about the admissions checklist? I guess it's to be prepared in case of acceptance

Did anyone else on the alternate list just receive the email about the admissions checklist? I guess it's to be prepared in case of acceptance
Yup. Thought I was accepted but nah, just gotta get my vaccines updated I guess. Whomp whomp.

Reactions: 3 users