Sep 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Maybe my paranoia is taking over, but ~5 acceptances reported on SDN alone makes me wonder if they filled all the spots that opened up on April 30 in one fell swoop.
Because I am a crazy person, I went back and counted the past 3 years of WL acceptances that we’re posted on SDN and it’s been around an average of 20 people so it’s definitely not over! Even if it was filled again on that day people are still waiting for other WL decisions after all!

Apr 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Because I am a crazy person, I went back and counted the past 3 years of WL acceptances that we’re posted on SDN and it’s been around an average of 20 people so it’s definitely not over! Even if it was filled again on that day people are still waiting for other WL decisions after all!
The hero we needed, but not the one we deserve

Last edited:

eatlovemed

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2017
No luck on having them match my offer at another school. Withdrew my A last night! buh bye
Do you mind me asking how you went about asking them to match the other offer? Does Downstate generally not offer any additional money to students?

eatlovemed

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2017
Are there any current students here who would be willing to answer a few of my questions as an accepted student? Thanks!!

Reactions: s_tian
Oct 7, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you mind me asking how you went about asking them to match the other offer? Does Downstate generally not offer any additional money to students?
I worded it as a "financial barrier" and "the responsible decision". Then I said, "Ayyy lil mama, you got the green?" They then sent me an email stating I would need to take out $100,000 for the first year......... so I said, "YEET"

*majority of this is paraphrased from what actually happened*

Mr. Game & Watch

What I learned in boating school is...
Jun 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Just officially committed (woo). Got off the waitlist late last week. Sure plenty of spots will open up as it seems that waitlist movement usually peaks in mid-late May (committee likely has to meet again, students get 5 business days to make a decision, few more days to process, etc. etc.)

For anyone that gets off the waitlist, I would be happy to talk as I had trouble making a final decision and discussed this fact with numerous students, gaining a ton of valuable insight in the process.

Best of luck to everyone! Stay positive.

sciencemrwhite

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
Just officially committed (woo). Got off the waitlist late last week. Sure plenty of spots will open up as it seems that waitlist movement usually peaks in mid-late May (committee likely has to meet again, students get 5 business days to make a decision, few more days to process, etc. etc.)

For anyone that gets off the waitlist, I would be happy to talk as I had trouble making a final decision and discussed this fact with numerous students, gaining a ton of valuable insight in the process.

Best of luck to everyone! Stay positive.
Sent you a PM! Would greatly appreciate any feedback

Mar 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I finally saw Downstate in my select your medical school tool on amcas and I selected plan to enroll, however, I never received an email informing that I got off the waitlist. Should I be worried. Did I get too excited?

Apr 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I just got accepted from the Alternate List via email! :) (I interviewed in late March, received Alternate List last Thursday)

Reactions: premedalt
Dec 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I finally saw Downstate in my select your medical school tool on amcas and I selected plan to enroll, however, I never received an email informing that I got off the waitlist. Should I be worried. Did I get too excited?
Sounds like you'll be getting that email from them soon! :)

Edit: also, might want to check your spam just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: propylene.C
Feb 20, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Is anyone worried that selecting "plan to enroll" may negatively affect the ability to get off a waitlist?

"Medical schools can see an applicant’s selection (Plan or Commit) including if they selected another medical school or if no decision has been selected."

Oct 25, 2018
Are new acceptances sent all at the same time or is there still hope of getting an email today?
No clue. But if it isn't today I think, just based on the five day rule and the fact that they gave out acceptances these last two weeks that they might be sending out weekly acceptances till the CTE deadline.

We will see. I'm just trying to remain hopeful

Mr. Game & Watch

What I learned in boating school is...
Jun 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone heard about the summer pre-matriculation program? I was just invited to it but it seems so sudden. Is it really that beneficial?
Definitely seems beneficial but giving up 5 weeks of what is essentially my last responsibility-free summer isn’t that enticing...

eatlovemed

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2017
I’m also wondering what the purpose of the program is/who is selected?

I was planning on traveling during that time so this would change things.

Reactions: premed gator

premed gator

2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I never received any email regarding a pre-matriculation program? What is it?
Its called "operation success." They pay for room and board and it's from June 17 - July 19. It's really soon and I also wanted to travel or work and save before making the move.

Sep 23, 2017
Its called "operation success." They pay for room and board and it's from June 17 - July 19. It's really soon and I also wanted to travel or work and save before making the move.
Looked it up online and is it only for CUNY students who are disadvantaged? That’s what it says on what I found, just trying to verify before I call their office to get more info

premed gator

2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Looked it up online and is it only for CUNY students who are disadvantaged? That’s what it says on what I found, just trying to verify before I call their office to get more info
I think there’s a different program where CUNY undergrads come and do a Med school prep over the entire summer. It’s three phases. Their third phase is operation success, which is the part of the program admitted SUNY students can attend.

Reactions: emergentmorula