-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 SUNY - Downstate
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I love getting my hopes up every time I open up my email!
Same. Crushing my soul slowly is truly a joy!
LowStatMatt
Full Member
no mine does too. I dont have a log in so idk how to submit anythingTO those who also received this, does yours include a white coat form? Acceptance response?
...did I get accepted? lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
JusttrynacatchaW
Full Member
Yup probably just to be prepared in case we are accepted. What a teaseDid anyone else on the alternate list just receive the email about the admissions checklist? I guess it's to be prepared in case of acceptance
sciencegladiator
Full Member
Was wondering the same thingno mine does too. I dont have a log in so idk how to submit anything
sciencegladiator
Full Member
sent an email, and someone responded saying we will be receiving log in info shortly!
Just got the email with the log-in information. Does anyone know where we should send the things needed for the checklist? (i.e. where to send or upload the transcripts, vaccinations, etc) I can't see any place to upload or directions of where to send this stuff in the portal.
D
deleted713077
Just got the email with the log-in information. Does anyone know where we should send the things needed for the checklist? (i.e. where to send or upload the transcripts, vaccinations, etc) I can't see any place to upload or directions of where to send this stuff in the portal.
I agree, there's very little description. Through google I found this webpage that says where to send some things:
- BLS for Healthcare Provider Course: copies of the signed certification card to [email protected]
- Student health forms: submitted as a single PDF to [email protected]
- Technical standards form: submitted to [email protected]
- It doesn't say, but I think it's implied that official transcripts should be sent to the mailing address: Office of Student Admissions450 Clarkson Avenue, MSC 60
Brooklyn, New York 11203-2098
Still, I'm confused by what to do about the background check. Is that something we have to arrange? Also, am I the only one who is hearing about this CPR certification for the first time?
Awesome thank you for looking into this stuff! First time I'm hearing about the CPR certification, too. Wonder how we go about that
I agree, there's very little description. Through google I found this webpage that says where to send some things:
Still, I'm confused by what to do about the background check. Is that something we have to arrange? Also, am I the only one who is hearing about this CPR certification for the first time?
- BLS for Healthcare Provider Course: copies of the signed certification card to [email protected]
- Student health forms: submitted as a single PDF to [email protected]
- Technical standards form: submitted to [email protected]
- It doesn't say, but I think it's implied that official transcripts should be sent to the mailing address: Office of Student Admissions450 Clarkson Avenue, MSC 60
Brooklyn, New York 11203-2098
CPR Course:
Basic Life Support (BLS) Course Options
Learn more about Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR and AED course options from the AHA. Courses can be taken in blended learning or instructor-led formats.
There is a half online, half in-person course offered or a full in-person course that takes about 4.5 hours. You need to reserve a seat for the in-person component regardless. FYI, in the acceptance letter, Downstate stated that they only accept the AHA certification.
Background Check: You should have, or will soon, receive an email from "Certiphi Screening" with instructions for how to complete the background check (really just fill out a form with your info).
Definitely agree that Downstate could have been much more descriptive though lol...
megacazzom
Full Member
Did everyone on the alt list get the id, password and clearance email?
LowStatMatt
Full Member
♂️ I didDid everyone on the alt list get the id, password and clearance email?
Tombradygoat6
New Member
I know I’m over reading this, but are we suppose to upload the documents to the website or send it to the email they provided? Thanks in advance and good vibes for everyone!!!!
I know I’m over reading this, but are we suppose to upload the documents to the website or send it to the email they provided? Thanks in advance and good vibes for everyone!!!!
If I remember correctly you e-mail them and then the portal reflects the status of the documents (ie received or not).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
medicaljunky
New Member
Have you already been accepted?Just got the email with the log-in information. Does anyone know where we should send the things needed for the checklist? (i.e. where to send or upload the transcripts, vaccinations, etc) I can't see any place to upload or directions of where to send this stuff in the portal.
LowStatMatt
Full Member
Do we have to send transcripts?
Nope just alt listHave you already been accepted?
Prokaryotesrkewl
Full Member
Did anyone else just receive the alternate clearance email for the second time? Downstate has to stop playing with my emotions
I haven't, but i know downstate has a ****ty computer system. also can someone help me clarify what this white coat part of the checklist?
Read the second email. They say not to do that...I haven't, but i know downstate has a ****ty computer system. also can someone help me clarify what this white coat part of the checklist?
sciencegladiator
Full Member
Every time I open an email from them and it's not an A, a part of my soul diesDid anyone else just receive the alternate clearance email for the second time? Downstate has to stop playing with my emotions
Yeah at this point they're just stealing what's left of my soul for amusement
Officially withdrawing my A today for multiple reasons:
1. Weird vibes at the interview. Folks telling me I should just go somewhere else if I have the option. "We're not funded well. Don't expect to do research here". Med students didn't even seem to like the place!
2. The class is huge and split in half
3. Weirdly hostile interview - interviewer asked if I could read since a 126 on CARS was my lowest section
4. Terribly unorganized emails. From January - Late January - February - to "late spring", I wasn't even excited about the acceptance without some sense of clarity.
5. There is no reason everyone on the alt list gets the same confusing requirements that they only need to half-pay attention to as the accepted students. It's an email system - not rocket science.
I hate to feed into general SDN negativity, but God I really wanted to like this school and stay in NYC. Oh well. Cheers to everyone still waiting to hear back still!
1. Weird vibes at the interview. Folks telling me I should just go somewhere else if I have the option. "We're not funded well. Don't expect to do research here". Med students didn't even seem to like the place!
2. The class is huge and split in half
3. Weirdly hostile interview - interviewer asked if I could read since a 126 on CARS was my lowest section
4. Terribly unorganized emails. From January - Late January - February - to "late spring", I wasn't even excited about the acceptance without some sense of clarity.
5. There is no reason everyone on the alt list gets the same confusing requirements that they only need to half-pay attention to as the accepted students. It's an email system - not rocket science.
I hate to feed into general SDN negativity, but God I really wanted to like this school and stay in NYC. Oh well. Cheers to everyone still waiting to hear back still!
Officially withdrawing my A today for multiple reasons:
1. Weird vibes at the interview. Folks telling me I should just go somewhere else if I have the option. "We're not funded well. Don't expect to do research here". Med students didn't even seem to like the place!
2. The class is huge and split in half
3. Weirdly hostile interview - interviewer asked if I could read since a 126 on CARS was my lowest section
4. Terribly unorganized emails. From January - Late January - February - to "late spring", I wasn't even excited about the acceptance without some sense of clarity.
5. There is no reason everyone on the alt list gets the same confusing requirements that they only need to half-pay attention to as the accepted students. It's an email system - not rocket science.
I hate to feed into general SDN negativity, but God I really wanted to like this school and stay in NYC. Oh well. Cheers to everyone still waiting to hear back still!
What do you mean the class is split?
Officially withdrawing my A today for multiple reasons:
1. Weird vibes at the interview. Folks telling me I should just go somewhere else if I have the option. "We're not funded well. Don't expect to do research here". Med students didn't even seem to like the place!
2. The class is huge and split in half
3. Weirdly hostile interview - interviewer asked if I could read since a 126 on CARS was my lowest section
4. Terribly unorganized emails. From January - Late January - February - to "late spring", I wasn't even excited about the acceptance without some sense of clarity.
5. There is no reason everyone on the alt list gets the same confusing requirements that they only need to half-pay attention to as the accepted students. It's an email system - not rocket science.
I hate to feed into general SDN negativity, but God I really wanted to like this school and stay in NYC. Oh well. Cheers to everyone still waiting to hear back still!
sorry to be annoying haha but since you posted this morning about how it's ridiculous that they're asking WL people to fill out requirements I'm just curious if you were accepted today then? Or had you been accepted a while ago?
does anyone know if everyone on the alternate list got the checklist or if its for those likely to gain acceptance?
does anyone know if everyone on the alternate list got the checklist or if its for those likely to gain acceptance?
i'm pretty sure everyone got it otherwise at least someone would be posting on here freaking out
So just to clarify some info…
The alternate checklist is similar to the previous years. Everyone gets it. Check the previous threads to see what has to be completed before acceptance.
It is pretty easy to find research opportunities. Speaking to faculty, attendings, residents in your field of interest, and generally being proactive will help. You’re at a LARGE institution with an enormous amount of faculty and support. You’re paired with a mentor your first year in a field of your choice (this is unique to Downstate!) who you can reach out to regarding research/shadowing. I don’t know anyone who has wanted to complete research that has not been able to.
Being split is a major advantage here. Less students in anatomy (3-5 per body, less than most schools), clinical skills, and other small groups. Everyone can attend lecture so you’ll have the chance to know everyone. It is a large class but being split is to your advantage.
As always, take all the information posted on the forums with a grain of salt. Anyone can post any sort of information here so it’s best to ask your student interviewers/ guides or admissions staff for any important questions.
Feel free to message me with any questions you may have. I know it’s a tough wait. Good luck!
The alternate checklist is similar to the previous years. Everyone gets it. Check the previous threads to see what has to be completed before acceptance.
It is pretty easy to find research opportunities. Speaking to faculty, attendings, residents in your field of interest, and generally being proactive will help. You’re at a LARGE institution with an enormous amount of faculty and support. You’re paired with a mentor your first year in a field of your choice (this is unique to Downstate!) who you can reach out to regarding research/shadowing. I don’t know anyone who has wanted to complete research that has not been able to.
Being split is a major advantage here. Less students in anatomy (3-5 per body, less than most schools), clinical skills, and other small groups. Everyone can attend lecture so you’ll have the chance to know everyone. It is a large class but being split is to your advantage.
As always, take all the information posted on the forums with a grain of salt. Anyone can post any sort of information here so it’s best to ask your student interviewers/ guides or admissions staff for any important questions.
Feel free to message me with any questions you may have. I know it’s a tough wait. Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm pretty sure everyone got it otherwise at least someone would be posting on here freaking out
I was really sick when I got my acceptance email -- Anyway I've finally been accepted [last week]. Interviewed in December, got the weird "you'll hear from us in jan/early feb/ late spring/ alternate list" emails. I received some sort of log in info to view my financial aid and to pay the deposit, but I have no idea where to access health forms or any of the other onboarding documents. It's strange that people on the alt list got those but I haven't -- oh well. It seems their online system is glitching real hard. Those of you still wanting the A - don't lose hope! This was my 3rd time applying and I finally got in 😉 There will be lots of waitlist movement due to the new traffic rules, and the lack of communication and tech glitches are likely to turn a handful of people off (hence even more movement). I for one am excited to join the entering class, even if the campus is old and they haven't quite figured out how to send mass emails yet 😛 For $43K tuition in NYC, serving the communities of East Flatbush and Brooklyn, I'm willing to deal with that!
propylene.C
Full Member
I was really sick when I got my acceptance email -- Anyway I've finally been accepted [last week]. Interviewed in December, got the weird "you'll hear from us in jan/early feb/ late spring/ alternate list" emails. I received some sort of log in info to view my financial aid and to pay the deposit, but I have no idea where to access health forms or any of the other onboarding documents. It's strange that people on the alt list got those but I haven't -- oh well. It seems their online system is glitching real hard. Those of you still wanting the A - don't lose hope! This was my 3rd time applying and I finally got in 😉 There will be lots of waitlist movement due to the new traffic rules, and the lack of communication and tech glitches are likely to turn a handful of people off (hence even more movement). I for one am excited to join the entering class, even if the campus is old and they haven't quite figured out how to send mass emails yet 😛 For $43K tuition in NYC, serving the communities of East Flatbush and Brooklyn, I'm willing to deal with that!
Congrats! Your optimism and resilience gives me much needed hope as someone on the waitlist and dreading reapplying.
I gotta agree that their email system is confusing. Not as bad at U Buffalo that sent me 3 separate rejection emails but still...
Here's the website for the forms in case you haven't found it yet. Just the usual immunizations/ physical exam / medical release stuff.
Health Forms are accessible via:Health Forms
Did anyone get a response after emailing the 5-day response form to reserve a spot after acceptance?
PolarBear24
New Member
Yes, I got a response pretty quickly. I would just email again if I were you!Did anyone get a response after emailing the 5-day response form to reserve a spot after acceptance?
Has anyone attempted reaching out to see how much movement they expect this year with the new changes?
sciencegladiator
Full Member
Has there been any WL movement today/do we expect any this week?
LowStatMatt
Full Member
I’d guess tomorrowHas there been any WL movement today/do we expect any this week?
Prokaryotesrkewl
Full Member
Just got off the waitlist. My first acceptance so crying tears of joy!
Prokaryotesrkewl
Full Member
That is amazing, congratulations! Did you already complete a couple of things on the checklist before today?
Thank you! And no I haven’t completed anything on the checklist yet
Is that for accepted students?Yes, I got a response pretty quickly. I would just email again if I were you!
kittycatmd
Full Member
Just got off the waitlist. My first acceptance so crying tears of joy!
Waitlist or alternate list?
Congratulations
Prokaryotesrkewl
Full Member
Waitlist or alternate list?
Congratulations
Sorry, alternate list***
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
kittycatmd
Full Member
Congrats!!! Did you send in your checklist before acceptance ?
kittycatmd
Full Member
Just got off the alternate list too!! My first acceptance after 8 IIs, I'm shaking and in total disbelief still.
Did you send in checklist before acceptance ? Congrats [emoji106]
kittycatmd
Full Member
Just got that prelim notification for an A!!!!! this is my first A and my hands are literally shaking!!
Congratulations [emoji106]
Had you sent your checklist items before acceptance ?
I sent tech standard and proof of citizenship this morning, got confirmation 2-3 hr later, then A this afternoon. Not sure if sending in things help tho. Good luck !Congratulations [emoji106]
Had you sent your checklist items before acceptance ?