2018-2019 University of California - Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! For those who have interviewed, is there a social and/or clinic tour before the interview?

I interviewed back in November and there wasn’t any sort of social event before the interview. Although they did offer to house you the night before with a current M1. But even the tour on the day of the interview was pretty minimal. They said if accepted, you would be invited back for dinner and a more in-depth tour.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know if this place is receptive to or accepts any updates pre-II? Have not heard back since submitting secondary.
I was told that they do not accept pre-II, only post-II updates.

I interviewed back in November and there wasn’t any sort of social event before the interview. Although they did offer to house you the night before with a current M1. But even the tour on the day of the interview was pretty minimal. They said if accepted, you would be invited back for dinner and a more in-depth tour.

Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Have any accepted students heard back about financial aid packages? I submitted the scholarship/ aid application back in Jan and haven't heard anything yet.

Accepted today! Super excited as it's my top choice and first (most likely last) MD acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! Have any accepted students heard back about financial aid packages? I submitted the scholarship/ aid application back in Jan and haven't heard anything yet.

I received scholarship notification last week. I think they evaluate candidates in batches.

I'll be flying in for the April 4th second look and my SO and I are tacking on an apartment hunt the day before. For anyone who went to the second look in Feb, is it students only? Or something I could bring my SO to? They are calling the April date "recruitment day" which sounds like it may be open to more than just students.

for those who have been accepted (my future classmates), how long after the acceptance email, did you start receiving matriculation emails (FA, portal access, immunizations, or any other info) ?

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone who recently received an II confirm which days are available for II in March? Would be greatly appreciated!

can anyone who recently received an II confirm which days are available for II in March? Would be greatly appreciated!

Received II a week ago, only date open at the time was 3/9. If I'm not mistaken... they interview alternate Saturdays so my best guess is that 3/23 would be the last date.

Reactions: 1 users
Received II a week ago, only date open at the time was 3/9. If I'm not mistaken... they interview alternate Saturdays so my best guess is that 3/23 would be the last date.

Thanks so much! Do you mind sharing when you were complete and if you're from the IE?

I was told that interviews would only go until the beginning of March. If that's the case then I suspect 3/9 is the last interview date. Congrats on the II btw!

I was told that interviews would only go until the beginning of March. If that's the case then I suspect 3/9 is the last interview date. Congrats on the II btw!

That's interesting, I was told by phone that there are still two interview dates available in March.

Have any other people from the 2/9 interview date heard back yet? I know that one user above did, but I'm wondering if anyone else did. Thanks!

Thanks so much! Do you mind sharing when you were complete and if you're from the IE?
I have some family in the area but stronger ties to Northern CA. I was complete end of October

I have some family in the area but stronger ties to Northern CA. I was complete end of October

Thanks so much! I wasn't too far off from your complete date so I'm hoping I hear some good news sometime next week (crossing fingers).

have a significant amount of people received pre-II R's here already?

That's interesting, I was told by phone that there are still two interview dates available in March.
You may be right! My communication with them was a while ago so you're more up to date.

That being said I'm also more inclined to believe you since that means there's still a chance ;)

have a significant amount of people received pre-II R's here already?

Not that I know of. I’m assuming those of us that haven’t heard back are all rejected, and there will just be a massive R wave in the coming weeks

Found out today that 3/9 is the last interview date for this cycle..but they're still sending out interviews

I am guessing that some people cancelled.

For those who haven't heard back from their interview decision, does anyone know when do we get our notification as to whether we have been waitlisted or rejected?

I am guessing that some people cancelled.

For those who haven't heard back from their interview decision, does anyone know when do we get our notification as to whether we have been waitlisted or rejected?
I interviewed 2/23 and they said the latest we would hear back is "2-3 months." So possibly May?

I'll be flying in for the April 4th second look and my SO and I are tacking on an apartment hunt the day before. For anyone who went to the second look in Feb, is it students only? Or something I could bring my SO to? They are calling the April date "recruitment day" which sounds like it may be open to more than just students.
Historically, it has been student-only event! However, it won't hurt to check with the student affairs.

for those who have been accepted (my future classmates), how long after the acceptance email, did you start receiving matriculation emails (FA, portal access, immunizations, or any other info) ?
You usually only receive financial aid package early (April-May). Immunization and other required documents (that must be submitted before orientation) are due much later (June-July) and applies only for applicants who intend to matriculate here. Portal access, e-mails and all that official stuff is during your orientation week, which is your first week of school (The only exception is if you were a student at UCR in the past, in which case, you already have access to all of that.)

Wow, I missed the call/voicemail for the interview on 3/9 :/

They said it was the last date.

You usually only receive financial aid package early (April-May). Immunization and other required documents (that must be submitted before orientation) are due much later (June-July) and applies only for applicants who intend to matriculate here. Portal access, e-mails and all that official stuff is during your orientation week, which is your first week of school (The only exception is if you were a student at UCR in the past, in which case, you already have access to all of that.)

Great, Thank you for your reply.

Wow, I missed the call/voicemail for the interview on 3/9 :/

They said it was the last date.

That sucks to hear I'm sorry :/. I emailed them a few days beforehand reiterating my interest and they never responded. If it makes you feel any better, I'm from the IE and never heard from them and also the IE f*cking sucks lol. Still can't believe that I never received a response from them post-secondary and now they're done with interviews and still nothing. That's entirely unprofessional, very disappointed in UCR

That sucks to hear I'm sorry :/. I emailed them a few days beforehand reiterating my interest and they never responded. If it makes you feel any better, I'm from the IE and never heard from them and also the IE f*cking sucks lol. Still can't believe that I never received a response from them post-secondary and now they're done with interviews and still nothing. That's entirely unprofessional, very disappointed in UCR

Yeah, it turns out they called me while I was at work (where I have spotty reception) for a last minute interview invite, and left a voicemail that I needed to call back by 5PM or else they would need to extend the invitation to someone else due to time constraints. I work in the Emergency Department and got off of work at 10PM and didn't receive a notification for a new voicemail, so I didn't see the voicemail until after the interview.

I got in touch with them afterward and they said they would just hold onto my name in the case anything becomes available, and encouraged me to apply this upcoming cycle. I'm born and raised in the IE, am above their 75%'ile stat-range, and have pretty decent EC's, so I thought I'd be their ideal candidate. Crazy how things work and how wild med school cycles can be, but I'm keeping my head up and hoping that everything turns out for the best.

Last edited:

You’re not the only one desperately trying to nab the last interview date. The fact they didn’t respond is because they are super busy coordinating the interview date and probs inundated with Hail Mary emails like yours. So, sorry things didn’t work out, but I wouldn’t call them unprofessional.

So, sorry things didn’t work out, but I wouldn’t call them unprofessional.

Would you call it unprofessional if we were complete in July, sent updates in December, and still haven't been rejected or had any communication even though they are done with interviews? Not trying to be combative btw, just disappointed with UCR. when you ask someone to pay a fee for a service the "busy" excuse isn't good enough. Especially since your a Cali medical school and know you are going to get a ton of applications and should be prepared to handle that volume. All applicants deserve at least an email acknowledging updates were received or an automated rejection email if the school's cycle is over. Instead UCR just strings us along for months.

Would you call it unprofessional if we were complete in July, sent updates in December, and still haven't been rejected or had any communication even though they are done with interviews? Not trying to be combative btw, just disappointed with UCR. when you ask someone to pay a fee for a service the "busy" excuse isn't good enough. Especially since your a Cali medical school and know you are going to get a ton of applications and should be prepared to handle that volume. All applicants deserve at least an email acknowledging updates were received or an automated rejection email if the school's cycle is over. Instead UCR just strings us along for months.

I see your point. And your point really applies to every medical school. And there should be a better system/ portal with real time updates.

My reply to Kiwi was in the frame of him not receiving a reply for his Hail Mary within a few days of an interview is all. :)

I see your point. And your point really applies to every medical school. And there should be a better system/ portal with real time updates.

My reply to Kiwi was in the frame of him not receiving a reply for his Hail Mary within a few days of an interview is all. :)

Me calling them unprofessional was because they haven’t contacted those to let them know they’re rejected because they’re done with interviews, not because they didn’t respond to my email.

Me calling them unprofessional was because they haven’t contacted those to let them know they’re rejected because they’re done with interviews, not because they didn’t respond to my email.

If that’s the case, then okay. Let them know you would like to be rejected in a timely manner.

Aww man! Sorry to hear about your experience. I really wish you the best in your journey toward medical school. I know it is frustrating to not hear back from schools you have applied to. It has happened to me also. : /

I must say, Riverside is really cool! A lot of beautiful hikes, waterfalls, art, yoga etc... So for the people who will be attending, you should be really excited and proud of yourselves!

Good luck to everyone!

Guess the interview invites are over? Been sitting on "Complete" Status since 08/06...........

last one was 3/9 i think, now all we are waiting for are for decisions to come out

Anyone heard back from the 2/23 interview?

I just read an article and for the class of 2019 only 38 students matched. Isn't that quite low considering the UCR has a class of 50-60? Does anyone have answers for this?

I don't think it's possible for like 60% of the class to have matched when you consider that even the worst schools out there have better matching rates and UCR is leagues above those schools in terms of the quality of step prep and clinicals. Either they are doing a research year or another type of opportunity or those number are not accurate.

I just read an article and for the class of 2019 only 38 students matched. Isn't that quite low considering the UCR has a class of 50-60? Does anyone have answers for this?
I think I saw the article you read. Maybe they were only talking about those that showed up to the match day ceremony?

From what I heard they were doing MPH or research year.