2018-2019 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So if people are just now gettin accepted and it takes several months, do we just get the third step/bloodwork when it is time? Do we need to contact someone?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, contact Ronnie but as long as you are in the process with a plan it should be fine for a little bit. They try and work with you as best as possible :)

Can anyone else see their financial aid? Web advisor looks like it’s down and when I use the link in this forum, it won’t take my login info

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone else see their financial aid? Web advisor looks like it’s down and when I use the link in this forum, it won’t take my login info
I was having issues with this through the student portal. I had to contact IT and they gave me a direct link to web advisor that worked. You may have to do the same.

Reactions: 1 user

I just googled Pikeville webadvisor and I could get in that way

Can anyone give details about the most recent match results? I know KYCOM gives information on the site but the information is not year specific.

Can anyone give details about the most recent match results? I know KYCOM gives information on the site but the information is not year specific.
There is a small thread on Facebook with their match results, but only 10-15 people have commented :/

UPDATE! They actually have it updated now! It’s the same as the old formatting, but they just updated the years. Can anyone tell me their exact class sizes for the past few years?

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE! They actually have it updated now! It’s the same as the old formatting, but they just updated the years. Can anyone tell me their exact class sizes for the past few years?
135-140

Do you have any info on last years match?
So I can’t find that anywhere, the only thing I could figure out is an approximate estimation of percentage of people that matched going off of 503/~550 over the past four years (so 126/135-40)

Does anyone still have stuff to be verified on Evalue? I did my background check back in Feb and uploaded the pdf summary of it, but it’s still not saying completed

Does anyone still have stuff to be verified on Evalue? I did my background check back in Feb and uploaded the pdf summary of it, but it’s still not saying completed
I dont think they started to review those yet. Once they do, it will change status.

Do you have any info on last years match?
Unfortunately I don't. I never asked but I think they post it on some of the bulletin boards at school. I would email Ronnie and ask.

Interviewed 4/26..Not offered admission today. Oh well, I really enjoyed the school but I have one acceptance thus far. Good luck to those previously accepted!

Anyone else notice they added a few more items in evalue? It won’t let add anything right now so I’m hoping it’s not too late!

So have any of you considered private loans over federal? What about disability insurance in case things go South (no pun intended)? I know some schools provide that, but I'm not sure about KYCOM

Withdrew my seat here a few days ago. Hope it goes to one of you still waiting!

I just withdrew my seat as well. Good luck to everyone still waiting, hope it makes one of you HAPPY :)

Is the alternate list/waitlist ranked?

I asked Ronnie on the interview day and he informed me that the adcom selects who gets the call up, so there's no ranking.

Also regarding health insurance, does the school offer plans to students or are we completely on our own in that regard?

For the immunisations, did you have a separate document for each one? I have an Immunization Card that has them all on the same card

I asked Ronnie on the interview day and he informed me that the adcom selects who gets the call up, so there's no ranking.

Also regarding health insurance, does the school offer plans to students or are we completely on our own in that regard?
I just talked to the school and they do not offer insurance. Does anyone know what our best options are? If any current students were in the same boat, could you tell us what you did?

Does anyone remember how much dedicated study time for boards we get?
From what I understand, none. That being said, it seems like there is an unofficial allocation of like 3 weeks at the end of M2 that most use for boards. I asked explicitly at my interview and was told there was no official dedicated block.

Just got accepted off of the hold list into the class of 2024! Though I am very excited, does anyone know my chances are to move up to class of 2023?

Just got accepted off of the hold list into the class of 2024! Though I am very excited, does anyone know my chances are to move up to class of 2023?

Congrats on the acceptance! I'm in the same boat, although there are a few recent posts about people withdrawing acceptance/people getting the "call up" into this year's class. Orientation is two months away, and it sounds like anyone in our situation can get the call up to the first day of orientation.

Reactions: 1 users

You are on your own for insurance. Many people stay on their parents insurance or spouse but there is also the option of the free government health insurance which many students have as well

What are the immunization requirements? Recently paid the deposit & have not been contacted about what immunizations ate record or how to submit them?

What are the immunization requirements? Recently paid the deposit & have not been contacted about what immunizations ate record or how to submit them?

Took about 2 weeks after I paid the deposit for them to follow up with the "next steps." The big requirements are Hep B, MMR, and Varicella. They also require a tetanus/Tdap shot within 10 years, annual flu shot, and annual TB test. While you're waiting, I'd get your titers done to see what you do and do not have immunity to.

Reactions: 1 users
For current students, how are the rotations for this school in general?

I'm trying to pick between LECOM, LMU,DCOM because they're also around my area. But I feel like their class sizes are also much larger

I'm trying to pick between LECOM, LMU,DCOM because they're also around my area. But I feel like their class sizes are also much larger
Not a current student, but I was accepted to KYCOM, LMUDCOM, and LECOM. I ended up choosing LECOM because it was not as rural and matched well

Rotations are based on where you would like to go essentially. We have sites from Michigan to Mississippi with majority in KY. Im starting my rotations this July but I feel prepared for them. I have to disagree with the previous persons statement about the area. The first 2 years you are in Pikeville which I found to be much less rural than LMU but that may be personal preference. There are many places to eat, shop, and activities that let you take a breather without getting too distracted. as far as rotations and their areas go, I am at Henderson which is 20min from Evansville IN (which is a huge city) and only 2 hrs from my home in Louisville KY. I too was accepted to all those places including VCOM (SC branch) and chose KYCOM for a variety of reasons. If you want to know more just PM me. I know the decision can be rough but I am happy with choosing KYCOM and feel very prepared.

Any current students here that may be able to tell me if this school prepares you well for boards? I see that their first time pass rate for complex increased like 10% compared to the previous years. Can someone elaborate what caused this significant increase? And also are the rotations good or bad? I see a lot of mixed reviews regarding KYCOM. Currently in the process of choosing KYCOM or a different school I’m accepted at.

I personally liked the school and loved the people there. Only downside might be the location. Does the school provide adequate board prep time?

I feel adequately prepared for boards. I’m sure you learned at your interview how they pay for your board prep and question banks. They changed he blueprint for the exam so that’s a possible reason as so why scores went down one year and up the next. I feel that our professors do a good job sticking to material commonly tested. You choose your own test date so dedicated time is about 2 and a half months but they are looking at possibly increasing that time. Just depends on if they want to take it from another break time. You also have goals to meet beginning your second year with qbank questions. For instance, last semester each individual student had a goal of 1500 questions to complete before the semester ended.

I feel adequately prepared for boards. I’m sure you learned at your interview how they pay for your board prep and question banks. They changed he blueprint for the exam so that’s a possible reason as so why scores went down one year and up the next. I feel that our professors do a good job sticking to material commonly tested. You choose your own test date so dedicated time is about 2 and a half months but they are looking at possibly increasing that time. Just depends on if they want to take it from another break time. You also have goals to meet beginning your second year with qbank questions. For instance, last semester each individual student had a goal of 1500 questions to complete before the semester ended.

Thank you for the quick reply. Also, are the tests formatted in a way to simulate the board exam questions? And how does the grading system work at KYCOM? Is it a P/F school?

Since you are a student how do you like the school overall? And if you chose this school over others why did you?

I’m sorry for the questions really want to see a current students opinion on the matter.

Also, I’d love to hear your opinion on KYCOMs rotations.

Thank you for the quick reply. Also, are the tests formatted in a way to simulate the board exam questions? And how does the grading system work at KYCOM? Is it a P/F school?

Since you are a student how do you like the school overall? And if you chose this school over others why did you?

I’m sorry for the questions really want to see a current students opinion on the matter.

Also, I’d love to hear your opinion on KYCOMs rotations.
Hi there:) Our grading system is very similar to what is used in undergrad. You take a block exam and the questions from each subject are scored and that is your grade for the class. Our exams are Block style to simulate boards. They are 4 hrs long (so half the time of boards) and are the same style (all questions are random and the exam is timed). You finish 100 questions and are allowed a break and then return to finish the test etc. The only thing that is P/F is OPC (this is the clinical portion of the class that includes your OSCEs/Standardized Pts). I do like the school overall. I am from Louisville KY so it was about a 3.5hr move for me but let me stay closer to family than 2 other schools I was accepted to. I was also accepted to LMU/DCOM (its the same distance form Louisville) but decided on Pikeville due to recommendations from physicians I knew and faculty at my undergrad who stated they have a great reputation and I agree with that. KYCOM has a great reputation and the school itself continues to grow each year. One of the big reasons I chose KYCOM is because I felt more at home there and more comfortable at my interview. The faculty and students seemed more concerned with answering my questions rather than grilling me which I appreciated. I also liked how there was enough to do in the town without getting sidetracked. Its a great place to study and the community itself is so welcoming and safe. We also have a free community clinic and I love how much our school, students, and faculty participate to better the community directly. I like that we have an actual cadaver program and not just VR (virtual reality), and many of our faculty are known nationally. They are huge advocates for doing what makes you happy (not just Family Medicine) which was also important to me. There are really so many things I like about our school and only a few that I dislike. I would be happy to expand more but I think Ive already published a novel lol. As far as rotations go, you can find a list on line. We have many options to choose from but most are in KY. You can stay in Pikeville or go elsewhere. Most places are rural but not as rural as you may think. For instance I am in Henderson KY but I’m 15min to Evansville (the 3rd largest city in IN), close to an Airport and only 2 hrs to Louisville. Feel free to ask on here or DM me if you have any more questions. Hope this helped and sorry if forgot to address anything specifically:)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi there:) Our grading system is very similar to what is used in undergrad. You take a block exam and the questions from each subject are scored and that is your grade for the class. Our exams are Block style to simulate boards. They are 4 hrs long (so half the time of boards) and are the same style (all questions are random and the exam is timed). You finish 100 questions and are allowed a break and then return to finish the test etc. The only thing that is P/F is OPC (this is the clinical portion of the class that includes your OSCEs/Standardized Pts). I do like the school overall. I am from Louisville KY so it was about a 3.5hr move for me but let me stay closer to family than 2 other schools I was accepted to. I was also accepted to LMU/DCOM (its the same distance form Louisville) but decided on Pikeville due to recommendations from physicians I knew and faculty at my undergrad who stated they have a great reputation and I agree with that. KYCOM has a great reputation and the school itself continues to grow each year. One of the big reasons I chose KYCOM is because I felt more at home there and more comfortable at my interview. The faculty and students seemed more concerned with answering my questions rather than grilling me which I appreciated. I also liked how there was enough to do in the town without getting sidetracked. Its a great place to study and the community itself is so welcoming and safe. We also have a free community clinic and I love how much our school, students, and faculty participate to better the community directly. I like that we have an actual cadaver program and not just VR (virtual reality), and many of our faculty are known nationally. They are huge advocates for doing what makes you happy (not just Family Medicine) which was also important to me. There are really so many things I like about our school and only a few that I dislike. I would be happy to expand more but I think Ive already published a novel lol. As far as rotations go, you can find a list on line. We have many options to choose from but most are in KY. You can stay in Pikeville or go elsewhere. Most places are rural but not as rural as you may think. For instance I am in Henderson KY but I’m 15min to Evansville (the 3rd largest city in IN), close to an Airport and only 2 hrs to Louisville. Feel free to ask on here or DM me if you have any more questions. Hope this helped and sorry if forgot to address anything specifically:)

That’s awesome it answers a lot. I appreciate it, it made my decision making a lot easier!

Do you know of any good housing options near campus which is not too expensive?

That’s awesome it answers a lot. I appreciate it, it made my decision making a lot easier!

Do you know of any good housing options near campus which is not too expensive?
There are a ton! Once accepted the school starts a FB page and list options. There are plenty of landlords who only rent to medical students and plenty of students who want roommates that are going into their 2nd year as well as 3rd years leaving for rotations. I would say that depending on what you want prices are anywhere from 600-1200 a month. really just depends. I had a 4 bedroom 3 Bath Condo for $1000 per month that was a 3 min drive to school, my best friend had a 2 bedroom apartment with all utilities for $750 and walked to school, and there are newer apartments by all the shopping for like $1200 which are more like an 8 min drive. You can get everywhere in Pikeville in about 15min or less. Also its nice that parking is right across from the school and its free:)

135-140, as far as I know the amount of students accepted has stayed the same.

Recently was bumped from c/o 2024 to c/o 2023. Best of luck to those waiting and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hey y'all, I'll be staying about 5 min away from campus. I was wondering if any current students can chime in on what is the best internet provider in the area?