2018-2019 University of Washington

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Talkbirthytome

II! In state. Complete mid-October.

To those of you feeling deflated -- keep grinding. You have come so far and this process is insane. On to the next.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Empem28 likes this.
  2. EasyEveryoneWouldDoIt

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Got my II for Alaska

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EasyEveryoneWouldDoIt

Just got my II for Alaska today

sleeper_service likes this.
  4. iliketurtlesallthewaydown

Pre-Medical
    Not arguing either or downplaying the inherent difficulty associated with selecting a cohort of the most ideal students.

The willingness to validate CASPer shows they acknowledge their own need for improvements. Why fix what isn’t broken? I wouldn’t be surprised if there is no correlation between acceptance and CASPer score as the process now stands.

UW is a great program and I would be honored to go there. I’m stating based on my own experience and extensive time spent speaking with applicants and students it appears many qualified applicants are sent packing out of state or needlessly put through the inconvenience of reapplying.
    That’s a lot of “personal development” to not make the cut out of 120 students x 2 cycles only to be at the top of the class the third. . . However I’m sure the resilience that student had to Practice is a large factor for their success. It'd be nice to decrease that occurrence from the process so we can have better doctors two years sooner and doctors get to be doctors two more years of their lives. In a perfect world. . .

#604 iliketurtlesallthewaydown, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Talkbirthytome likes this.
  5. Talkbirthytome

Agreed - there is always room for improvement. Not getting in does mean NOT you are not worthy. Something didn't align and mistakes can be made - on either side. No one has this process down. Some programs are closer than others but there are so many variables. Yield protection occurs too which makes the picture more clear when you see high stats folks not getting in.

At least they are looking at personality in relation to CASPer scores. UW is already more holistic than many other schools.

Empem28 likes this.
  6. mybluedog

Medical Student
    Yeah, I don't think any school's admission process is perfect. UW's is often very frustrating. I've definitely found those who are re-applicants to be more thankful having a seat in our class. This is weird, but I kind of thought my experience being rejected my first cycle was a really good learning experience. I feel like as pre-meds we are always the best bunch in whatever group we are in and we are so type-A and perfectionists that we are not often faced with someone telling us "no". I feel like I've learned a lot about myself and my purpose after I got rejected. No matter if you are accepted, SUCed or rejected, we all have bright futures on this long and winding road.

7. schborke

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My biggest issue is the lack of communication. So many people are just kind of vaguely waiting for some (any) kind of update or email from them whether it is post interview or trying to schedule one. I think the stress of the not knowing and then ultimate rejection is what really makes people disillusioned with the process.

8. Empem28

To be fair to UW, I have several MS2 friends who still haven't heard back from some schools that they applied to years ago... To take advantage of our money and efforts in this way to me just seems criminal - an automated rejection letter takes about one iota of effort. I think UW actually does a pretty good job of communicating with us when compared to other schools. That doesn't make that communication a dialogue.. but I, at least, feel less in the dark here than at other programs. Just in my own personal experience.

schborke likes this.
  9. schborke

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The whole system of sending secondaries out automatically and charging some ambiguous amount of money is so shady. I think its initial purpose to learn more about an applicant before offering an interview was well-intentioned but now its just a shameless cash grab. At least UW's was affordable. But thanks for pointing that out I think I am just jaded towards the whole system at this point if you cant tell lol.

Empem28 and mybluedog like this.
  10. Empem28

I completely empathize with that sentiment, it is easy to loath..

11. TheRealCookieMonster

TheRealCookieMonster Probationary Status
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  12. sleeper_service

congrats! i might have missed it earlier in the thread, but when were you complete?

13. EasyEveryoneWouldDoIt

10/9 but submitted mid August residency verification took a bit

14. EasyEveryoneWouldDoIt

10/9 but submitted mid August residency verification took a bit

sleeper_service likes this.
  15. bentheredunthat

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  16. bentheredunthat

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Make sure you ask for feedback on your application from Dr. Muzquiz or the admission's office this Spring, so you can submit a better application next time, assuming you want/need to re-apply to UW.

17. bentheredunthat

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician

NotSavvyPremed likes this.
  18. bentheredunthat

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You likely won't hear anything until late December/early January about your interview time. The good news is that you hear soon after your interview if you're accepted, waitlisted or rejected.

19. bentheredunthat

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Make sure you ask for feedback on your application from Dr. Muzquiz or the admission's office this Spring, so you can submit a better application next time, assuming you want/need to re-apply to UW.

20. mongoose1180

Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    MS1 here. Would anyone mind sharing the MSAR stuff with me for UW? Curious to see our demographics, MCAT, GPA, etc of our class but don't want to pay for MSAR. Also message me if you have any questions. K. Back to endless studying...

BombsAway and mybluedog like this.
  21. mongoose1180

Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Also, word of advice for incoming students: create a class Slack platform for your site. It helps a ton with collaboration.

mybluedog and schborke like this.
  22. endocrinenerd

Pre-Medical
    From the MSAR (which doesn't seem to differentiate between the regional campuses):
    Stats:
    Average MCAT: 510
    Average GPA: 3.71

[Edit] removed demographic info to infringe as little as possible on MSAR copyright.

#622 endocrinenerd, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    mongoose1180 likes this.
  23. climbrunskirepeat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  24. endocrinenerd

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the heads up. Edited my post to provide far less info. Hopefully this is sufficiently sparse. I think average GPA and MCAT should be general info on schools anyhow.

25. mongoose1180

Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    The biggest thing I think applicants fail to realize is that UW ADCOMS are not necessarily looking for the smartest, most compassionate, and brightest students. They are not even necessarily looking for the "most qualified" students. They are building a class like a team. So think about what unique experiences and skills you have that can benefit the class as a whole then let the altruism you likely already have bleed out during the interview. I know it's common sense but you'd be surprised how many interviewees show up trying to convince the school that this is the best school for them rather than the other way around. UW already knows they would provide you with a lot opportunities and be great for your career. Also CASPer is just another tool they use. It's not weighed heavily as most people understand it is a typing speed test more than an "empathy" test. But UW loves data and stats so...

#625 mongoose1180, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  26. TheRealCookieMonster

TheRealCookieMonster Probationary Status
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    upload_2018-11-24_14-7-20.jpeg

27. CallMeMulan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone from the November Spokane cohort hear back today?? I’ve been sitting nervously by my phone all day! I need to get out lol

28. sjwheels

Pre-Medical
    I’m pretty sure they said that they would be meeting some time this week. So I figured it meant that they’d get back to us later this week or next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CallMeMulan likes this.
  29. CallMeMulan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow that was uncanny. Just got the call!! Accepted!!!!

Zvousha, MrsDrDr, Meekurrito and 4 others like this.
  30. sjwheels

Pre-Medical
    Congrats!! Hope I get as lucky as you!

CallMeMulan likes this.
  31. sjwheels

Pre-Medical
    And then I got the call right after I posted too!!! Accepted!

32. hotcheetos1

Pre-Medical
    Congrats!! Are you OOR?

33. arc5005

7+ Year Member

what was the turn around time after your interview? and also CONGRATS!

---

any recommendations for UW interview? Mine is coming up next week!

34. blondehobbit

I got the call last night too! Accepted to the Spokane campus! The turn around time was really quick, but I'm glad they got back to us so soon. The waiting afterwards is the worst part.

looptheloop and Talkbirthytome like this.
  35. CallMeMulan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Congratulations!! Hello future classmate! :)

biostudent508 likes this.
  36. CallMeMulan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks!! And no, I'm a WA resident. I applied to Spokane and heard back within a week. I LOVE that the foundation sites are so quick with their decisions - that's just one of the many reasons I did Spokane instead of Seattle.

mybluedog and biostudent508 like this.
  37. Jenae

5+ Year Member

To those of you that received calls yesterday about Spokane, did you get an official email yet? I got the call, but no email.

Edit: Received a very swift response from UW admissions. They will be updating portals tomorrow!

#637 Jenae, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  38. biostudent508

Pre-Medical
    I got the call yesterday and was accepted! Hello future classmates! As others have said above, your ExCom member calls you, then you get the confirmation email 1-2 days later.

During my interview day, they said they evaluate the week of applicants (3 days of interviews roughly) at the end of the week, then call you and let you know if you've been accepted about a week after your interview (I'm so happy I did not have to wait several months to hear back).

As for RECOMMENDATIONS: I'm lucky to have interviewed at several schools before UW, and UW was definitely my hardest interview. Most schools asked me about myself and my application. UW asked me questions in areas about public health, health policy, health care systems, ethical scenarios, etc. The interviewers were so friendly but (not to be paranoid) I'm pretty confident that one question could have been a trick question. So brush up in all these areas and know what's going on in the world of medicine. I highly recommend doing mock interviews, especially with more than one interviewer so you can practice looking at more than one person while talking. The interviews I did with my advisors at my school, who are far more educated than me in healthcare, were so helpful for me.

Good luck everyone!

907Chemist and Meekurrito like this.
  39. mongoose1180

Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    There's a facebook group for accepted Spokane E-19 students. Just search for UWSOM E-2019: Spokane Cohort

cmn25 likes this.
  40. schborke

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Jealous

Empem28 likes this.
  41. Empem28

Neurotically thinking back to every question they asked me to determine whether I fell for it ...

42. notbougie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know about the timeline for financial aid/UW medical school scholarship? The website says applications are open in March, but since we have to commit to one school by the end of April, does anyone know if we would receive our package before then so we can make a well informed decision?

43. arc5005

7+ Year Member

Thank you! I'll definitely need to brush up on my knowledge about public health, health policy, and health care systems. Fortunately, I've had a few interviews already as well, but they were mostly MMI, ethical, and about me/application. Thanks again for the info.

looptheloop and biostudent508 like this.
  44. Tannerest56

Congrats! When did you interview?
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

45. cmn25

Can anyone confirm the date for the second look (Spokane)? They mentioned it on the phone but I was too excited to absorb it!
    Thanks

46. sjwheels

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed on 11/21 in Spokane.

I think I was told that I would get an email about when that would be. Or it's possible that I was just like you and too excited to remember!

47. biostudent508

Pre-Medical
    I was told by the Spokane coordinator that it is scheduled for March 29th. We may want to get a confirmation of this before we make arrangements, though. I'm not seeing any second-look dates in the acceptance email.

48. mongoose1180

Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Financial Aid is dispersed the first week of September for all sites. Emergency loans are available for those that need it for move in costs, etc. The scholarships are needs-based, are related to parental income, and will come around this time. I don't believe that UW presents a scholarship package to entice students to chose them. I could be wrong. A year ago I saw an article that UWSOM had the highest accepted/matriculation rate in the country, but don't ask me to try to find that article again. Contact Diane Noecker at [email protected] with financial aid questions. Also congrats to all those accepted. If you haven't heard back, don't lose heart. Someone in our class was accepted the Friday before the Monday class started. This is not the norm, but it is possible.

#648 mongoose1180, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    notbougie likes this.
  49. Jenae

5+ Year Member

I think it was towards the end of March?

50. blondehobbit

On the FB group it was posted that it's on March 29th.

And does anyone know if you have to pay any kind of fee to hold our seat? I was expecting having to pay something but there was nothing in the emails or in the portal. Does anyone else know?