2018-2019 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unfortunately they also screen WWAMI applicants before sending out secondaries.

Quoted from their admissions website, “Unlike many medical schools, the UWSOM does not send out secondary applications automatically, The admissions committee will screen applications to determine if a secondary application will be requested”

Make sure you ask for feedback on your application from Dr. Muzquiz or the admission's office this Spring, so you can submit a better application next time, assuming you want/need to re-apply to UW.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the OOR interviews are the same as WWAMI interviews? I know they are the same format wise (3 interviews vs 1 interviewee), but is the focus of the interview different?

Expect more questions on your relationship to the "mission fit," be it your experiences with underserved or …….

Reactions: 1 user
Any Wyoming II's yet? I was supposed to hear something back 2 weeks ago. I know they schedule interviews a few weeks out, and Wyoming's interviews are scheduled for February, so maybe that's why I haven't heard anything? I've been accepted to two other schools already, so I just find it odd I haven't heard anything from my region's school...
I was complete 9/7

You likely won't hear anything until late December/early January about your interview time. The good news is that you hear soon after your interview if you're accepted, waitlisted or rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you ask for feedback on your application from Dr. Muzquiz or the admission's office this Spring, so you can submit a better application next time, assuming you want/need to re-apply to UW.

MS1 here. Would anyone mind sharing the MSAR stuff with me for UW? Curious to see our demographics, MCAT, GPA, etc of our class but don't want to pay for MSAR. Also message me if you have any questions. K. Back to endless studying...

Reactions: 1 users
Also, word of advice for incoming students: create a class Slack platform for your site. It helps a ton with collaboration.

MS1 here. Would anyone mind sharing the MSAR stuff with me for UW? Curious to see our demographics, MCAT, GPA, etc of our class but don't want to pay for MSAR. Also message me if you have any questions. K. Back to endless studying...

From the MSAR (which doesn't seem to differentiate between the regional campuses):
Stats:
Average MCAT: 510
Average GPA: 3.71

[Edit] removed demographic info to infringe as little as possible on MSAR copyright.

Last edited:
Be careful sharing that data, the terms of use prohibits distributing data (https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/msar-terms-and-conditions/). Even though it's a seemingly small thing, pissing off the AAMC is probably the last thing you want to do.

Thanks for the heads up. Edited my post to provide far less info. Hopefully this is sufficiently sparse. I think average GPA and MCAT should be general info on schools anyhow.

Not arguing either or downplaying the inherent difficulty associated with selecting a cohort of the most ideal students.

The willingness to validate CASPer shows they acknowledge their own need for improvements. Why fix what isn’t broken? I wouldn’t be surprised if there is no correlation between acceptance and CASPer score as the process now stands.

UW is a great program and I would be honored to go there. I’m stating based on my own experience and extensive time spent speaking with applicants and students it appears many qualified applicants are sent packing out of state or needlessly put through the inconvenience of reapplying.
That’s a lot of “personal development” to not make the cut out of 120 students x 2 cycles only to be at the top of the class the third. . . However I’m sure the resilience that student had to Practice is a large factor for their success. It'd be nice to decrease that occurrence from the process so we can have better doctors two years sooner and doctors get to be doctors two more years of their lives. In a perfect world. . .

The biggest thing I think applicants fail to realize is that UW ADCOMS are not necessarily looking for the smartest, most compassionate, and brightest students. They are not even necessarily looking for the "most qualified" students. They are building a class like a team. So think about what unique experiences and skills you have that can benefit the class as a whole then let the altruism you likely already have bleed out during the interview. I know it's common sense but you'd be surprised how many interviewees show up trying to convince the school that this is the best school for them rather than the other way around. UW already knows they would provide you with a lot opportunities and be great for your career. Also CASPer is just another tool they use. It's not weighed heavily as most people understand it is a typing speed test more than an "empathy" test. But UW loves data and stats so...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Be careful sharing that data

upload_2018-11-24_14-7-20.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone from the November Spokane cohort hear back today?? I’ve been sitting nervously by my phone all day! I need to get out lol

Anyone from the November Spokane cohort hear back today?? I’ve been sitting nervously by my phone all day! I need to get out lol

I’m pretty sure they said that they would be meeting some time this week. So I figured it meant that they’d get back to us later this week or next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that was uncanny. Just got the call!! Accepted!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
And then I got the call right after I posted too!!! Accepted!

Reactions: 6 users
And then I got the call right after I posted too!!! Accepted!

what was the turn around time after your interview? and also CONGRATS!

---

any recommendations for UW interview? Mine is coming up next week!

I got the call last night too! Accepted to the Spokane campus! The turn around time was really quick, but I'm glad they got back to us so soon. The waiting afterwards is the worst part.

I got the call last night too! Accepted to the Spokane campus! The turn around time was really quick, but I'm glad they got back to us so soon. The waiting afterwards is the worst part.

Congratulations!! Hello future classmate! :)

Congrats!! Are you OOR?

Thanks!! And no, I'm a WA resident. I applied to Spokane and heard back within a week. I LOVE that the foundation sites are so quick with their decisions - that's just one of the many reasons I did Spokane instead of Seattle.

To those of you that received calls yesterday about Spokane, did you get an official email yet? I got the call, but no email.

Edit: Received a very swift response from UW admissions. They will be updating portals tomorrow!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
what was the turn around time after your interview? and also CONGRATS!

---

any recommendations for UW interview? Mine is coming up next week!

I got the call yesterday and was accepted! Hello future classmates! As others have said above, your ExCom member calls you, then you get the confirmation email 1-2 days later.

During my interview day, they said they evaluate the week of applicants (3 days of interviews roughly) at the end of the week, then call you and let you know if you've been accepted about a week after your interview (I'm so happy I did not have to wait several months to hear back).

As for RECOMMENDATIONS: I'm lucky to have interviewed at several schools before UW, and UW was definitely my hardest interview. Most schools asked me about myself and my application. UW asked me questions in areas about public health, health policy, health care systems, ethical scenarios, etc. The interviewers were so friendly but (not to be paranoid) I'm pretty confident that one question could have been a trick question. So brush up in all these areas and know what's going on in the world of medicine. I highly recommend doing mock interviews, especially with more than one interviewer so you can practice looking at more than one person while talking. The interviews I did with my advisors at my school, who are far more educated than me in healthcare, were so helpful for me.

Good luck everyone!

There's a facebook group for accepted Spokane E-19 students. Just search for UWSOM E-2019: Spokane Cohort

Does anyone know about the timeline for financial aid/UW medical school scholarship? The website says applications are open in March, but since we have to commit to one school by the end of April, does anyone know if we would receive our package before then so we can make a well informed decision?

I got the call yesterday and was accepted! Hello future classmates! As others have said above, your ExCom member calls you, then you get the confirmation email 1-2 days later.

During my interview day, they said they evaluate the week of applicants (3 days of interviews roughly) at the end of the week, then call you and let you know if you've been accepted about a week after your interview (I'm so happy I did not have to wait several months to hear back).

As for RECOMMENDATIONS: I'm lucky to have interviewed at several schools before UW, and UW was definitely my hardest interview. Most schools asked me about myself and my application. UW asked me questions in areas about public health, health policy, health care systems, ethical scenarios, etc. The interviewers were so friendly but (not to be paranoid) I'm pretty confident that one question could have been a trick question. So brush up in all these areas and know what's going on in the world of medicine. I highly recommend doing mock interviews, especially with more than one interviewer so you can practice looking at more than one person while talking. The interviews I did with my advisors at my school, who are far more educated than me in healthcare, were so helpful for me.

Good luck everyone!

Thank you! I'll definitely need to brush up on my knowledge about public health, health policy, and health care systems. Fortunately, I've had a few interviews already as well, but they were mostly MMI, ethical, and about me/application. Thanks again for the info.

To those of you that received calls yesterday about Spokane, did you get an official email yet? I got the call, but no email.

Edit: Received a very swift response from UW admissions. They will be updating portals tomorrow!

Can anyone confirm the date for the second look (Spokane)? They mentioned it on the phone but I was too excited to absorb it!
Thanks

Congrats! When did you interview?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I interviewed on 11/21 in Spokane.

Can anyone confirm the date for the second look (Spokane)? They mentioned it on the phone but I was too excited to absorb it!
Thanks

I think I was told that I would get an email about when that would be. Or it's possible that I was just like you and too excited to remember!

Thanks

I was told by the Spokane coordinator that it is scheduled for March 29th. We may want to get a confirmation of this before we make arrangements, though. I'm not seeing any second-look dates in the acceptance email.

Does anyone know about the timeline for financial aid/UW medical school scholarship? The website says applications are open in March, but since we have to commit to one school by the end of April, does anyone know if we would receive our package before then so we can make a well informed decision?
Financial Aid is dispersed the first week of September for all sites. Emergency loans are available for those that need it for move in costs, etc. The scholarships are needs-based, are related to parental income, and will come around this time. I don't believe that UW presents a scholarship package to entice students to chose them. I could be wrong. A year ago I saw an article that UWSOM had the highest accepted/matriculation rate in the country, but don't ask me to try to find that article again. Contact Diane Noecker at [email protected] with financial aid questions. Also congrats to all those accepted. If you haven't heard back, don't lose heart. Someone in our class was accepted the Friday before the Monday class started. This is not the norm, but it is possible.

Last edited:
Thanks

I think it was towards the end of March?

I think it was towards the end of March?
On the FB group it was posted that it's on March 29th.

And does anyone know if you have to pay any kind of fee to hold our seat? I was expecting having to pay something but there was nothing in the emails or in the portal. Does anyone else know?

Is anyone else (IS/region) still waiting to hear back pre-II? We were told 4-6 weeks for a decision and I'm at 9 now...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anybody know about the rough proportions of folks accepted/SUCd/rejected after the first Spokane cohort? Glad to be in the SUC pile as it looks like UW has no issues with rejecting post-II.

Hello everyone!! Today I finally joined SDN, after being a “lurker” for about 4 years. I’m IS, come from small farm community, urm, and I’m 1st in my line to go to college! I graduated in ‘17 and applied late to the E18, my letters weren’t received in time so I obviously didn’t write very far. For E19 I finished my primary in July, my transcripts are non-trad and verified mid August. I got my II invite a month later and then it took me a month to write my essays. I was going to submit on 10/20 but the system was down?! Anyways submitted on 10/21 and felt euphoric and very optimistic about a positive outcome for this year. As of right now I’m in my 5th week of waiting since submitting my II. UWSOM is and always has been my #1. I’ve been checking the portal weekly and following this thread and the suspense is testing my patience. Congratulations to all those who already got accepted! I’ve still got a ways to go but hopefully I get to see y’all on the other side ;)

Hello everyone!! Today I finally joined SDN, after being a “lurker” for about 4 years. I’m IS, come from small farm community, urm, and I’m 1st in my line to go to college! I graduated in ‘17 and applied late to the E18, my letters weren’t received in time so I obviously didn’t write very far. For E19 I finished my primary in July, my transcripts are non-trad and verified mid August. I got my II invite a month later and then it took me a month to write my essays. I was going to submit on 10/20 but the system was down?! Anyways submitted on 10/21 and felt euphoric and very optimistic about a positive outcome for this year. As of right now I’m in my 5th week of waiting since submitting my II. UWSOM is and always has been my #1. I’ve been checking the portal weekly and following this thread and the suspense is testing my patience. Congratulations to all those who already got accepted! I’ve still got a ways to go but hopefully I get to see y’all on the other side ;)
Congratulations on getting this far! I submitted in mid-October and received my II last week. It might be coming soon! ^_^

Anybody know about the rough proportions of folks accepted/SUCd/rejected after the first Spokane cohort? Glad to be in the SUC pile as it looks like UW has no issues with rejecting post-II.
I was told they admit people right away if they know they can't live without them, deny people right away if they know they dont, and everyone else (the majority) gets SUC'd.

I was told they admit people right away if they know they can't live without them, deny people right away if they know they dont, and everyone else (the majority) gets SUC'd.

Ooo, then all things considered I'm pretty stoked about this outcome - could still get rejected come Jan, but we will see!

Facebook group for the Seattle cohort now up as well. Searchable at UWSOM E-2019: Seattle Cohort

On the FB group it was posted that it's on March 29th.

And does anyone know if you have to pay any kind of fee to hold our seat? I was expecting having to pay something but there was nothing in the emails or in the portal. Does anyone else know?

I didn’t have to pay anything either. Made me kind of nervous, but they never stated anything about a deposit.

Also, I picked that I would like to matriculate, but I am still waiting to hear from other schools (I was too late to cancel other interview). This doesn’t affect my status, right?

I didn’t have to pay anything either. Made me kind of nervous, but they never stated anything about a deposit.

Also, I picked that I would like to matriculate, but I am still waiting to hear from other schools (I was too late to cancel other interview). This doesn’t affect my status, right?
No deposit required at UWSOM to reserve your seat.

Agree with biostudent508 great suggestions to prep on. This interview was way harder than I expected. I definitely suggest going through the interview prep questions on the UWSOM website and developing 1 or more good answers to each. I had several questions that were taken from there and felt good that I had prepped, but also felt like I could have done more. The interviewers were really friendly though and gave me good body language feedback so it wasn't like an MMI or anything. The whole thing was over in a flash! Good luck all.

The good thing that UW does that almost no other school does is that it's waitlist post-April 30th is very transparent. Not like most schools. Most don't even say things like top/1st quarter waitlist, 2nd quarter. People on here post their rank when they are accepted so you know. Also waitlists are separate for Idaho, Alaska etc.

And other schools might "waitlist" 300 people while UW rejects post interview leading to less angst and a better time to move on and go to another school with a clear mind or start Plan B.

Ooo, then all things considered I'm pretty stoked about this outcome - could still get rejected come Jan, but we will see!

I'm IS and submitted my secondary 9/25 got my II 11/6. Can anyone fill me in on how long they had to wait to get the actual date for a Seattle campus interview? I know they say they send it 3-4 weeks ahead of the selected date, but I'm trying to get a sense of the lag time between those 2 emails. Feeling anxious!

I'm IS and submitted my secondary 9/25 got my II 11/6. Can anyone fill me in on how long they had to wait to get the actual date for a Seattle campus interview? I know they say they send it 3-4 weeks ahead of the selected date, but I'm trying to get a sense of the lag time between those 2 emails. Feeling anxious!
It's definitely possible that the holidays have delayed things significantly. When I scheduled mine, there were only three dates left this year. 12/11, 17, and 18. I'm guessing the combination of the two has delayed scheduling interviews for the rest of the year.