2019-2020 Albany

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have people been getting their IIs through email for this school ? ( I heard Albany has missed sending emails to people in the past & only updated their online portal so I was curious)
I received mine through email back in August
 
Thats a low post II acceptance rate even assuming they accept 3X the number of spots they have 🙁
Their website says that for the 2018 cycle they accepted 3.3% of the 9,817 applicants. So that's about 324 people. MSAR says they interviewed 730 people. So that's a post-II accept rate of about 44%. Not sure however how combined degree people factor into these statistics.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Their website says that for the 2018 cycle they accepted 3.3% of the 9,817 applicants. So that's about 324 people. MSAR says they interviewed 730 people. So that's a post-II accept rate of about 44%. Not sure however how combined degree people factor into these statistics.
Thank you for doing that research my math was definitely off I was thinking more around only accepting 250 people but 44% is not that bad!
 
For the inconsistency essay, would it be ok if I bring up that I'm a non-native English speaker which is why I've struggled with CARS or will that come off as me making an excuse/not being accountable?
I FEEL you on this lol. I also am a non native speaker and my CARS sucked. My opinion, i would mention this in there as long as you don't make it sound like you're making an excuse. There's lots of non native speakers i know that did great in CARS, but i for example did not, and i do attribute it to that reason partially, but others may not, each person is different, so i personally think it should be mentioned, but thats just my two-cents!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the inconsistency essay, would it be ok if I bring up that I'm a non-native English speaker which is why I've struggled with CARS or will that come off as me making an excuse/not being accountable?
Coming from someone who is not bilingual, I think that sounds totally reasonable. Speaking multiple languages is rare in the US and I see it as such a good skill that is becoming more and more important. It doesn't come off as an excuse to me. Plus they are getting THOUSANDS of apps, you should not assume admissions will correlate your CARS score and the fact that English isn't your first language unless you say it
 
Hey y'all, for those who interviewed, can ya'll disclose the MMI format (if possible)? Like the amount of stations, time to read prompt, respond to prompt, and whether we can take notes or not?

Also, for those we have an upcoming interview, let me know if anyone wants to do a ft/skype practice sesh!
 
Hey y'all, for those who interviewed, can ya'll disclose the MMI format (if possible)? Like the amount of stations, time to read prompt, respond to prompt, and whether we can take notes or not?

Also, for those we have an upcoming interview, let me know if anyone wants to do a ft/skype practice sesh!

8 stations, 2 mins to read prompt and i believe 10 mins each, you get a notification when you have 1 min left to say what you need to say. You can leave the room if you're done before 10 mins.
Overhead voice giving you prompts throughout as in: "Please flip the page and read the prompt" "Please enter now". You cannot read prompt until you're told to. Can't take notes

Pretty chill and straightforward to me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you II folks have your status change from "ready for review" to "under review" or something like that?
 
Have people been getting their IIs through email for this school ? ( I heard Albany has missed sending emails to people in the past & only updated their online portal so I was curious)
Just got mine yesterday through email. Only December spots left! 🙁
 
For those that have interviewed, was it more ethical scenarios or should I expect questions like "Why Albany?" or "Why Medicine?" Also, what is the structure other than the interviews given that its only like a 5-6 hour day whereas some other programs have full-day interviews...
 
Is there a way to update after you confirm your interview? I skipped the optional part to secure my interview and now its not letting me write in the optional box.
 
I think they said we won't hear until sometime in November 🙁 And I remember them saying they put most people on UC status so we really wont hear until Dec/Jan if I'm remembering correctly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think they said we won't hear until sometime in November 🙁 And I remember them saying they put most people on UC status so we really wont hear until Dec/Jan if I'm remembering correctly.
Oh after our MMI she told us people getting immediate acceptances would hear October 15