2019-2020 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WAIT GREGOR MENDEL YOU GOT IN WTFFFFF CONGRATS I THOUGHT YOU ENDED THE 18/19 SEASON ON THE WAITLIST GANG BUT YOU GOT IN. Congrats mate hope you're having a great year!

Hey Meridian, thanks! I was totally not expecting it, and I think I got pretty lucky in getting pulled at the last moment. I just happened to be next on the list. You were probably not far behind I bet. I wish you all the success your next cycle and hope you get in! Persist!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
can anybody comment on how the preclinical curriculum works? what course do you start with, where does it go from there? what resources are you given towards step 1 versus what are you expected to get yourself (pathoma sketchy uworld)? internally ranked right? so how does that then factor into AOA? because they obv also take into account third year too right?m

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now. PA resident so OOS. really unexpected, but LOTS of open dates. tomorrow, friday, next week, week after, all the way til march

Reactions: 7 users
can anybody comment on how the preclinical curriculum works? what course do you start with, where does it go from there? what resources are you given towards step 1 versus what are you expected to get yourself (pathoma sketchy uworld)? internally ranked right? so how does that then factor into AOA? because they obv also take into account third year too right?m

Hi! Okie well first year is cell bio> musculo > neuro> cardio > resp> renal > endo > infectious disease. The first year you do all “normal” cell function looking at anatomy and histology. Then second year we have these themes plus some that go into the pathological disorders. We buy birds and beyond, sketchy, pathoma, at discounts and the school subsidized uworld. As you don’t have to go to classes, I’ve spent my entire second year studying from those materials instead of class materials. We are internally ranked 1+ 2 which goes partly with AOA but AOA is also based on student involvement. Third year ranking is the only ranking giving to residencies and is done in tertiles.

II just now. PA resident so OOS. really unexpected, but LOTS of open dates. tomorrow, friday, next week, week after, all the way til march
There's hope! Any dates in March as well?

Reactions: 1 user
My second wait-list of the dayyyy. Interviewed 1/13.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Hi! Okie well first year is cell bio> musculo > neuro> cardio > resp> renal > endo > infectious disease. The first year you do all “normal” cell function looking at anatomy and histology. Then second year we have these themes plus some that go into the pathological disorders. We buy birds and beyond, sketchy, pathoma, at discounts and the school subsidized uworld. As you don’t have to go to classes, I’ve spent my entire second year studying from those materials instead of class materials. We are internally ranked 1+ 2 which goes partly with AOA but AOA is also based on student involvement. Third year ranking is the only ranking giving to residencies and is done in tertiles.
What does 1+2 mean for the internal ranking system?

Do you mind sharing when you were complete? I messed up and didn't hit the complete button until a month after I thought I was complete :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind sharing when you were complete? I messed up and didn't hit the complete button until a month after I thought I was complete :(
I filled out secondary end of July but also forgot. They sent a reminder email in August which I marked it complete on 8/20

Reactions: 1 users
CMON ALBANY GIVE US SOME MORE UC MOVEMENT!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I think most movement at low and mid tiers will be in April/may due to traffic rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else been complete since late July and not heard anything?

Reactions: 11 users
Do they give you a confirmation email when you send updates? Basically saying that it has been added to your file?

Do they give you a confirmation email when you send updates? Basically saying that it has been added to your file?
Pre or Post interview? They really don't want anything before or after. Unless you've been accepted to another school and want togo to AMC then a LoI maybe worth sending in. Besides that they don't accept anything I believe.

I was told they only accept post-interview updates if it’s something new, meaning something that isn’t anywhere else on your application. For example, I sent my unofficial transcript with new grades from a certificate program I did in the fall. I didn’t receive a confirmation. However, I emailed them to politely ask if it was received and stated that I understood if their office was too busy to get back to me but I would appreciate if they were able to let me know. They emailed back and let me know it was added :)

I was told they only accept post-interview updates if it’s something new, meaning something that isn’t anywhere else on your application. For example, I sent my unofficial transcript with new grades from a certificate program I did in the fall. I didn’t receive a confirmation. However, I emailed them to politely ask if it was received and stated that I understood if their office was too busy to get back to me but I would appreciate if they were able to let me know. They emailed back and let me know it was added :)

Thank you so much! I remember being told during my interview that they would be happy to add info to our file if it is an update like grades....ect. I submitted it on Monday and was just curious if they confirm that it was added to your file. But I'll just trust them then. They are incredibly fast and polite compared to other schools.

Grades in the past have been the only updates they have accepted

I tried this and was told nothing could be accepted :/ not even my grades from fall semester. they said "As you have received a decision, you would not be reviewed again by the Admissions Committee, so no further updates are necessary. Once there is a change in status, you will hear via email."

I tried this and was told nothing could be accepted :/ not even my grades from fall semester. they said "As you have received a decision, you would not be reviewed again by the Admissions Committee, so no further updates are necessary. Once there is a change in status, you will hear via email."
Oh maybe not once you’re place UC or have a decision? I still do not and this was immediately following my interview? Maybe that’s why :/

I interviewed there a few weeks ago. They said that once you are on the UC list there will be no further committee review of your application, so they do not accept post-decision updates.

• Sad
Just got an II here.
Can anyone who interviewed give me a run down on the school? I live in NYC so I could easily go, but I'm already accepted to a higher ranked program (Miami) and just wondering if anyone has thoughts on the overall school that could help me decide whether to interview! thanks!
edit - don't want to sound ungrateful, just wanna be sure im not wasting my time or theirs :)

Just got an II here.
Can anyone who interviewed give me a run down on the school? I live in NYC so I could easily go, but I'm already accepted to a higher ranked program (Miami) and just wondering if anyone has thoughts on the overall school that could help me decide whether to interview! thanks!
edit - don't want to sound ungrateful, just wanna be sure im not wasting my time or theirs :)
I think it's worth interviewing there even if you're accepted elsewhere. I was really impressed with their facility and the fact that it's physically attached to the hospital--it's important to me to have access to a clinical setting from day 1. Students there said their goofy grading system is pretty much P/F in practice with only a small handful getting the 'honors' or whatever bs. Curriculum is NOT system based. Unlike most schools we actually got to talk to M3s and M4s and they talked about how strong their clinical skills are in comparison to other schools. Overall I'd be happy to go there but it's not my top choice.

Just got an II here.
When were you complete? I havent heard a peep from this school. Trying to gauge where I stand. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I also got an interview invite earlier today. I’m very grateful and will be going!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone who had an 11am interview tell me what time they were done? Thanks!!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone who had an 11am interview tell me what time they were done? Thanks!!

On my interview day they split us into two groups. I was in the group who did the tour first then the MMI and we were done around 3:50 pm. Not sure when the other group finished exactly.

Should I be stressing over this MMI? Or just review my app and chill the **** out?

• Haha
I know it's very early and likely no one knows yet but if any current students know anything about how curriculum will be adjusted with the P/F step one I'm sure everyone who is accepted would appreciate an update!

I know it's very early and likely no one knows yet but if any current students know anything about how curriculum will be adjusted with the P/F step one I'm sure everyone who is accepted would appreciate an update!

I think Step 2CK is going to be the new “step 1” and curricula that aren’t clinical in the first two years, will start adding more of that aspect earlier. Some schools are already like that.

I think Step 2CK is going to be the new “step 1” and curricula that aren’t clinical in the first two years, will start adding more of that aspect earlier. Some schools are already like that.

Yes I'm hoping schools will adjust since I'm pretty sure Albany is pre-clinical the first 2 years which seems like it will no longer be necessary for those of us starting in August. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything from the school, its pretty anxiety inducing not knowing if the school we choose to attend will be able to quickly shift the curriculum with this new change.

Current first year here. As of now, pretty sure nobody knows how this will affect things moving forward. But I'm sure there will be changes.

Just got an II this morning! So grateful!! Complete mid August. LizzyM 69.
To those who interviewed any thoughts about the school and where to fly in/stay?

To those who interviewed any thoughts about the school and where to fly in/stay?

Albany has an international airport about 20 minutes from campus and there is a Hilton hotel basically attached to the medical center (across the street). Very easy to navigate. Expensive Ubers if you come from a lower cost of living city though.

congratulations ! What interview dates are still open?!