2019-2020 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,
How soon after receiving an acceptance email are the vaccinations and drug screens due?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
How soon after receiving an acceptance email are the vaccinations and drug screens due?

I was accepted 12/17 and my drug screen, background check, and deposit are due tomorrow (1/15). Then the physical, immunization record, BLS, and insurance are due in April 15!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!!! Interviewed 11/11! Cant wait to meet you all!!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted student here (interviewed and accepted in September). Congrats to everyone else accepted!

Question for current students or any other accepted students who may know, but does anyone know when off campus housing options or a roommate application portal will become available? Not from the area and am excited to start figuring things out.

Accepted today! Interviewed 11/19! Can’t wait to meet everyone! Congratulations class of 2024!!

Accepted student here (interviewed and accepted in September). Congrats to everyone else accepted!

Question for current students or any other accepted students who may know, but does anyone know when off campus housing options or a roommate application portal will become available? Not from the area and am excited to start figuring things out.

There is no roommate application portal. Last year, most people found roommates via the class Facebook page. CUSOM does email out a word document with a list of housing options around the area later in the spring, but I would try to look for housing as soon as possible, since most desirable places fill up quick. If you want to live in Lillington close to campus, the best place would be Campbell Pointe. Campbell Creek is another option, but I think that is shared with undergraduate students if you're okay with that. A lot of people, including myself, live in Fuquay-Varina (20-25 minutes north of campus), and the two well-known apartment complexes there would be Meridian and Marquee Station. Pecan Groves in Holly Springs is also a good option but slightly north of Fuquay by a few miles.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is no roommate application portal. Last year, most people found roommates via the class Facebook page. CUSOM does email out a word document with a list of housing options around the area later in the spring, but I would try to look for housing as soon as possible, since most desirable places fill up quick. If you want to live in Lillington close to campus, the best place would be Campbell Pointe. Campbell Creek is another option, but I think that is shared with undergraduate students if you're okay with that. A lot of people, including myself, live in Fuquay-Varina (20-25 minutes north of campus), and the two well-known apartment complexes there would be Meridian and Marquee Station. Pecan Groves in Holly Springs is also a good option but slightly north of Fuquay by a few miles.

Would you say that most people live in apartments? Do many people rent houses?

Would you say that most people live in apartments? Do many people rent houses?

I think most people live in apartments. The few people I’ve talked to that rented houses did so due to pets or due to wanting a bigger space with 3-4 roommates.

If you go on Facebook and search “CUSOM class of 2024” you should find the group. This may be used to find roommates and plan for the fall semester

If you go on Facebook and search “CUSOM class of 2024” you should find the group. This may be used to find roommates and plan for the fall semester
I couldn’t find a group for the class of 2024. Really tempted to create one but I don’t want to be solely in charge of it lol

Was this page made officially by the school or did you guys create it?

I couldn’t find a group for the class of 2024. Really tempted to create one but I don’t want to be solely in charge of it lol

I found it by explicitly searching "CUSOM Class of 2024".

Was this page made officially by the school or did you guys create it?

I found it by explicitly searching "CUSOM Class of 2024".
At 330Bye it was made by current accepted students and not the school. @melD yes you have to search CUSOM the exact phrase which I listed

At 330Bye it was made by current accepted students and not the school. @melD yes you have to search CUSOM the exact phrase which I listed
I typed it in exactly and I am not seeing it!!! I see the class of 2023, 2022, and 2021!! Why is this happening:( maybe someone can message me privately and ill tell you my facebook name so you can invite me?? I have scrolled and scrolled and found nothing. CUSOM Class of 2024 is what I am searching

I typed it in exactly and I am not seeing it!!! I see the class of 2023, 2022, and 2021!! Why is this happening:( maybe someone can message me privately and ill tell you my facebook name so you can invite me?? I have scrolled and scrolled and found nothing. CUSOM Class of 2024 is what I am searching
I haven't interviewed yet, but I think this is it: Log into Facebook | Facebook

II just now! So excited!!! (OOS)

Last edited:
Accepted! Interviewed in November.

If you're going D.O., this is probably one of the better ones in the nation. They actually talked about the USMLE on interview day, because they want their students to be able to compete for those M.D. residencies, if that's what they want. They are absolutely thinking about the future of medical education and the future of medical practice.

Reactions: 5 users
I am interviewing here next week! Im kind of nervous. How accurate was the list of interview questions on the SDN feedback? Did they actually bring up health care? :oops:

I am interviewing here next week! Im kind of nervous. How accurate was the list of interview questions on the SDN feedback? Did they actually bring up health care? :oops:

Don’t be too nervous, it was a pretty laid back day! I used the SDN feedback to prep for my interview, and I would say it was pretty accurate. Yes, you should know some basic issues you find with our current healthcare system

So are the interviews now for waitlist spots? (please say no)

So are the interviews now for waitlist spots? (please say no)
People were getting accepted as early as *checks notes* six hours ago. Yeah, they've DEFINITELY filled the class.

In all seriousness, nah, they won't be interviewing for the waitlist for another couple months, if at all.

People were getting accepted as early as *checks notes* six hours ago. Yeah, they've DEFINITELY filled the class.

In all seriousness, nah, they won't be interviewing for the waitlist for another couple months, if at all.

Haha, I saw it somewhere so I wanted to check. Thanks friend!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I found the questions on sdn very useful and encountered a good amount of them on interview day!! I also had some questions that were scenario-based and other questions that were very unique (difference between sympathy and empathy)! Best of luck!

Accepted! Interviewed in November.

If you're going D.O., this is probably one of the better ones in the nation. They actually talked about the USMLE on interview day, because they want their students to be able to compete for those M.D. residencies, if that's what they want. They are absolutely thinking about the future of medical education and the future of medical practice.
Congrats! Could you tell me more about the M.D. residencies and who that would apply to? I just found out recently that you could go to an osteopathic school but then do an M.D. residency which I dont really understand. Why would this be necessary and do you gain anything from it specifically?

Congrats! Could you tell me more about the M.D. residencies and who that would apply to? I just found out recently that you could go to an osteopathic school but then do an M.D. residency which I dont really understand. Why would this be necessary and do you gain anything from it specifically?
Starting here soon, all the residencies will be merged. This means that there will be no such thing as MD residencies and DO residencies. This means MD graduates can now apply and take the spot of what used to be a “DO specific residency position”. This means that in order for DO students to put themselves on the same playing field as MD graduates, it is beneficial to take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX

Interviewed on 11/19 and accepted on 1/15!

A question for current students- when did orientation start? Also there was mention of a retreat before orientation- when was that? Thanks!

MD residencies are accredited by ACGME. DO residencies were accredited by AOA. Back in the day, DO grad could go ACGME or AOA; if you wanted a competitive residency (derm, ortho, etc.), one accredited by the AOA was the best way to get in since MDs couldn't train in an AOA program. Residencies are now merged under ACGME which means all previous AOA programs had to meet the ACGME standards or be lost to oblivion. Since historically DO residencies (AOA) are now ACGME accredited, these programs can now take MDs. Some do, some choose to remain mostly DO. Can't wait to see the match results this year to see if DOs are getting mixed into historically MD programs, or maybe not. I also want to see the effect on IMGs (international medical graduates, e.g. carib schools).

COMLEX (board exam for DO) was used mostly to get into AOA residency programs, even though some ACGME programs would take it as well. If you want a good shot at a historically MD program, you need to take USMLE (board exam for MD) in addition to COMLEX. We need to pass COMLEX to graduate anyway.

By the way, CUSOM is a sponsor for ACGME accredited residency programs. Most DO schools do not have their own sponsored programs.

Interviewed on 11/19 and accepted on 1/15!

A question for current students- when did orientation start? Also there was mention of a retreat before orientation- when was that? Thanks!

Orientation for us was Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday before the last week of July. The lake retreat was the weekend before orientation.

Current 4th year and almost finished. Feel free to message me with any questions about school, Campbell, the area, boards, etc.

First, don't be nervous, the faculty and students there were extremely friendly and welcoming. I interviewed in November. One of the interviews was more personal, asking about me, my education, career experience (im non-traditional) and my 2nd interviewer asked about medicine and why I wanted to be a DO and attend CUSOM. I honestly did not prepare much for the interview itself. I spent most of my prep time researching the school and formulating questions to ask my interviewers. It felt very relaxed and unscripted. I was accepted for class of 2024. Hope that helps! Best of Luck!

Hey guys,

have any of you heard of someone with a 500 MCAT getting accepted here?

Is there an accepted students day here? If so when is it usually held?

There has traditionally been an accepted students lake retreat weekend right before orientation.

If I remember right, there is one roughly at the start of Block 4 ~March/April (in addition to the Lake Retreat). It'll essentially be 1st years setting up various booths of their respective clubs and advertising them. I think tours are included for family members and such, as well. I don't see why that wouldn't continue so just keep an eye out for that.

I just got waitlisted due to the availability of seats. Good luck to everyone else lol!
Edit: interviewed Dec 4

Last edited:
I also just got waitlisted. I interviewed 1/13/20

Heard back yesterday evening, finally. Got my first waitlist, but my deposit for another school was due over two weeks ago. Essentially, that made the decision for me regardless. I’m so surprised it took so long to make a decision. All of the other schools I interviewed made them after each interview day. From what I understand, Campbell just made decisions on all of November and December? Good luck to everyone!

Primary Completed: 7/30
Secondary Offered: 8/27
Secondary Completed: 9/17 (late due to personal emergency)
Interview Invite: 9/27
Interview Date: 12/9 (waited until I moved back to NC due to financial reasons and was told it may act as a waitlist interview)
Waitlisted: 1/22

Heard back yesterday evening, finally. Got my first waitlist, but my deposit for another school was due over two weeks ago. Essentially, that made the decision for me regardless. I’m so surprised it took so long to make a decision. All of the other schools I interviewed made them after each interview day. From what I understand, Campbell just made decisions on all of November and December? Good luck to everyone!

Primary Completed: 7/30
Secondary Offered: 8/27
Secondary Completed: 9/17 (late due to personal emergency)
Interview Invite: 9/27
Interview Date: 12/9 (waited until I moved back to NC due to financial reasons and was told it may act as a waitlist interview)
Waitlisted: 1/22

Hey!

Congratulations on your previous acceptances, that’s an awesome accomplishment. In regards to CUSOM, did they say anything in their waitlist email about their spots being completely full? Essentially, do you think there’s a chance anyone interviewing in January could be accepted off the bat or does it sound like it’s only waitlist interviews?

thanks!