2019-2020 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompt:

200 words each
List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.

What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?

If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Emory University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Emory has a unique curriculum. It says that it is graded after 18 months. Does someone know how flexible your time is, or if everyone moves together through the courses?

I'm also curious if anyone has experience with the MSCR/MD program.

Emory has a unique curriculum. It says that it is graded after 18 months. Does someone know how flexible your time is, or if everyone moves together through the courses?

I'm also curious if anyone has experience with the MSCR/MD program.

I'm an incoming M1 at Emory, so I can take at shot at these questions. Emory has 18 months of preclinical courses followed by a 6 month research phase. The preclinical courses are P/F using standard deviations, so I think anyone below 2 std. devs fails. Previously, only the audio of classes was recorded so it was pretty much mandatory to go to class, but this year I think they are switching to video and audio recorded lectures. Regardless, everyone does move together through the courses. From the students I've talked to it sounds like there is a fair amount of free time/flexibility in the schedule.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Based off last year prompts... when we list our activities, do we put date? Hours? Can we just say we did x y z or are they expecting a i learned x y z..?

Also, current students: how did y’all approach the physicians question?

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received, MD/PhD applicant, verified 5/30. So excited to get to apply here!

Secondary received, MD/PhD applicant, verified 5/30. So excited to get to apply here!
+1. this is one of my top choices, good luck everyone : )

Could anyone post the MD prompts?

Could anyone post the MD prompts?
@PapaGuava Identical to last year's, all are 200 words

List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.

What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?

If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else shocked by the 18 hours of Humanities that are required? If we don't plan on having that many, should we even submit this secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a music major and was planning on using my classes in musicology (I have over 20 credit hours in music history) to cover the humanities requirement, does that sound okay?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else shocked by the 18 hours of Humanities that are required? If we don't plan on having that many, should we even submit this secondary?
humanities includes Sociology, Psych English, History, Geography, and Poli Sci, and you only need to scrounge together 6 courses in total

I'm a music major and was planning on using my classes in musicology (I have over 20 credit hours in music history) to cover the humanities requirement, does that sound okay?
I'm basically listing my philosophy minor. I think any music class that isn't performance/comp/theory will qualify

humanities includes Sociology, Psych English, History, Geography, and Poli Sci, and you only need to scrounge together 6 courses in total
Okay awesome, I can use my histories and poli sci courses for that! Phew, what a relief, thanks!

Can you post the MD/PhD prompts if you get the chance? Or what's different than the MD-only?

The MD/PhD Admissions Committee requires information about all of your significant research experience (8 weeks or longer). Please list below, IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, all of your significant research projects. Be sure to include start/end dates, the name of your PI, the name of the institution, and a detailed description of your role in the project. Please use the following template to list your experiences (2000 words):

Dates (month/yyyy – month/yyyy):
Hours/week:
Supervisor (PI) Name and Title:
Organization Name:
City, State or Country:
Description:

Please enter ALL publications in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, with the most recent publications first, using citation format. (This should include materials that you reported on your AMCAS application and any new publications since that time.) (1000 words)

Indicate up to two graduate training programs you are interested in:

Please describe your interest in the research of THREE current Emory faculty. How does their research relate to your interests and goals as a physician scientist?

Is the secondary website loading extremely slow to anyone else?

When I went to pay the secondary application fee, I submitted the payment and then clicked out of the tab. When I went to log into my Emory portal, the portal showed that my application fee wasn't submitted, however my card has been charged and I received an email receipt from the school. I don't really know what to do about this aside form send an email from the admission office.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I'm having a difficult time with the "why us" prompt. I'm OOS. Is there anything unique or worthy about Emory? Thanks y'all

I'm having a difficult time with the "why us" prompt. I'm OOS. Is there anything unique or worthy about Emory? Thanks y'all
Do what you do for every school. Go to their website and read about their curriculum and other programs. These schools literally advertise themselves on their websites so just use those.

Reactions: 3 users
For health-related experiences, is there a consensus on whether shadowing is appropriate to list ?

For the course requirements, can we write courses that will be taken in the last semester but are not appearing on the AMCAS application?

Do what you do for every school. Go to their website and read about their curriculum and other programs. These schools literally advertise themselves on their websites so just use those.
what will you be writing about

Secondary submitted! If anyone has any issues with the payment not going through on the website, call the admissions office and they will clear it up. Apparently there is an issue in there system that can cause this to happen. Best of luck everyone!

It is a requirement, so you should not submit secondary to the school if you do not have that requirement. Unless you will be taking more classes in the future that are in that field.

• Wow
EMORY is magnificent. You will be able to find things to write about, just use your resources.

secondary received. verified 5/30

This might be a really dumb question but can we leave the short-essay questions about why we're interested in Public Health/bioethics under the "Program Select" tab blank if we're applying MD only?

+1
For the Humanities/Social Science and English requirements, if we've taken more than 18 and 6 credits, can we / should we list more? I'm assuming it's fine to list the English classes under the Humanities/Social Science section too.

+1
For the Humanities/Social Science and English requirements, if we've taken more than 18 and 6 credits, can we / should we list more? I'm assuming it's fine to list the English classes under the Humanities/Social Science section too.
+1, should we list all or just meet the minimum?

+1, should we list all or just meet the minimum?

I assume just the minimum, they have access to your full transcript, they just want to clearly see that the basic requirements are met.

This might be a really dumb question but can we leave the short-essay questions about why we're interested in Public Health/bioethics under the "Program Select" tab blank if we're applying MD only?
Same question here haha.

I would assume so!

Secondary receiiiiiived!! Good luck everyone!

why the hell does this portal take forever to load

• Haha