2019-2020 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Heavy traffic, probably sent secondaries to all applicants lol

Just submitted and am complete.

For the second question regarding health-related experiences, did y'all just choose one most meaningful or did you try to talk about all your clinical experiences?

How deep should one go in terms of reflections, anecdotes, and lessons learned? Not sure if they want like a MME/PS style writing or just matter-of-fact.

Reactions: 1 users
So what was the general consensus on courses? Just enough to meet minimum or list every single one?

The website said "We strongly recommend that you DO NOT send additional letters"
Did you guys all submit 3 letters to Emory?

Members don't see this ad :)
The website said "We strongly recommend that you DO NOT send additional letters"
Did you guys all submit 3 letters to Emory?
I submitted 7, but that's because for MD/PhD candidates they require letters from all PI's.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted 7, but that's because for MD/PhD candidates they require letters from all PI's.

I asked & the "all PIs" isn't a hard requirement; I just sent ones from my significant research experiences (nontrad; some of my research stuff was like a decade ago so their letter wouldn't be at all representative of what I can do now).

For the second question regarding health-related experiences, did y'all just choose one most meaningful or did you try to talk about all your clinical experiences?

How deep should one go in terms of reflections, anecdotes, and lessons learned? Not sure if they want like a MME/PS style writing or just matter-of-fact.

Not to deep, just list them all. They can consult your primary for that info.

Hi, I have a quick question,

1.Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

Would you recommend talking about one particular experience that is the most meaningful to you or just hash out all your health-related activities (i.e. what you did there)?

Hi, I have a quick question,

1.Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

Would you recommend talking about one particular experience that is the most meaningful to you or just hash out all your health-related activities (i.e. what you did there)?

I think either approach is probably fine... I just briefly talked about all of my activities.

If no committee letter, do most people submit only 3 LORs (2 science professors)? I know they suggest only 3 but it said they will accept more if sent. Would sending ~5 just piss them off?

From their website: "We strongly recommend that you DO NOT send additional letters."

Already sounds angry.

"List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year"
Might be stupid of me to ask but for this question do I just list all the classes I'm going to be taking? so no mentioning of anything else?

"List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year"
Might be stupid of me to ask but for this question do I just list all the classes I'm going to be taking? so no mentioning of anything else?
That’s what I did

Did you make a list or did you do it in paragraph form? Also, did you give a description of the classes?

I'm having a difficult time with the "why us" prompt. I'm OOS. Is there anything unique or worthy about Emory? Thanks y'all

If you're interested in public health, you can cite to the fact that (a) they're located right next to the Centers for Disease Control and (b) there's a strong public health grad program at Emory's public health school.

If you're interested in infectious disease, Emory does a lot of HIV research and is located next to the Yerkes Primate Center, where a lot of that research is done.

If you're interested in cancer research, Emory Med's new dean is an ace cancer researcher from Harvard Med and Emory just received a big grant to build out new cancer research facilities to go along with its current cancer research center.

Reactions: 7 users
If you're interested in public health, you can cite to the fact that (a) they're located right next to the Centers for Disease Control and (b) there's a strong public health grad program at Emory's public health school.

If you're interested in infectious disease, Emory does a lot of HIV research and is located next to the Yerkes Primate Center, where a lot of that research is done.

If you're interested in cancer research, Emory Med's new dean is an ace cancer researcher from Harvard Med and Emory just received a big grant to build out new cancer research facilities to go along with its current cancer research center.

I guess their ranking will go up? LOL

I wish I would have known this before submitting! Oh well.

I found this in their FAQ

You may submit additional letters of recommendation, but keep in mind that the Admissions Committee may not be able to read an excessive amount of letters. Please limit additional letters to just a few.

"We strongly recommend that you DO NOT send additional letters."

They also said this... I strongly recommend you follow strong recommendations.

Thank you, that helps a ton!

For those indicating an interest in MD/MPH, there is a question very early that asks "Please describe your interest in public health and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine" and then later "Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected."

Should we talk about the degree program we selected in both questions?

For those indicating an interest in MD/MPH, there is a question very early that asks "Please describe your interest in public health and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine" and then later "Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected."

Should we talk about the degree program we selected in both questions?
I mentioned public health briefly in the why emory one, but went more in depth on the md/mph one.

Reactions: 2 users
ugh me too. Does anyone know if this will cause me to be rejected outright?

I honestly interpretted it to mean please do not send additional letters throughout the revision process....other schools, like USC, for example list not to send more than three in the same section describing the LOR requirements where as Emory had them separate...in any event no point in worrying about it

Has anyone not received a secondary? I've read on Reddit that Emory only has a 500 mcat screen. Still waiting patiently :)

Has anyone not received a secondary? I've read on Reddit that Emory only has a 500 mcat screen. Still waiting patiently :)
Can confirm this is true as it says so on their portal something along the lines of “Congrats you have met our minimum requirements of 500 MCAT total and 123 and above in each section”

• Haha
"We strongly recommend that you DO NOT send additional letters."

They also said this... I strongly recommend you follow strong recommendations.
Oof, my school does letter packets, so I don't get to choose which letters get sent to which schools, and there were 4 in my packet. You think I'll be alright?

Oof, my school does letter packets, so I don't get to choose which letters get sent to which schools, and there were 4 in my packet. You think I'll be alright?
Yeah, that quote only applies to those who are sending non-committee letters.

Secondary just received! Those 18 credits of Humanities/Social Sciences thoo lmaoo

Definitely not at the threshold but will supplement with random classes that're kinda related

1. For the question about listing our curriculum plan, do I literally just list my classes? Sorry feels like a dumb question but that info is in my primary so im confused.
2. For describe our health related experiences, how should we approach that since they are also all in my PS and primary?

1. For the question about listing our curriculum plan, do I literally just list my classes? Sorry feels like a dumb question but that info is in my primary so im confused.
2. For describe our health related experiences, how should we approach that since they are also all in my PS and primary?

1. Yes put your classes, but I always like to make a narrative out of things so I discussed what classes I was going to do as well as like what EC's I was going to continue or plan on starting.

2. I just literally repeated what was in my primary using some different words. Like a quick explanation of what the experience was and how it impacted me.

From what I've read, if a school asks for secondary essays on topic X, it's because a large portion of their applicants don't address topic X in their primary app. Even though you can list future courses, it's optional, so maybe a large portion of Emory's applicants don't include it.

Secondary received. OOS, verified 7/11

If I accidentally submitted all 5 of my letters to Emory through AMCAS (selected the select all button, oof), should I bother with the secondary? They seem pretty adamant about not submitting more than 3 letters, but not sure if that would be grounds for auto rejection

Stop worrying folks. At the end of the day they can choose what letters to look at based on you provide them with. If you give them 5 they will look at 3/5.