2019-2020 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I called the admissions office about the letters thing because I sent my committee letter and three others. They said it isn't a huge issue, they just wanted applicants to be cognizant of time constraints. I think if you have a solid application and do well with your secondaries, the extra letters won't seriously hurt you. They might have it in the back of their minds, but it sounded to me like it was a pretty minor consideration.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I called the admissions office about the letters thing because I sent my committee letter and three others. They said it isn't a huge issue, they just wanted applicants to be cognizant of time constraints. I think if you have a solid application and do well with your secondaries, the extra letters won't seriously hurt you. They might have it in the back of their minds, but it sounded to me like it was a pretty minor consideration.

Thanks for calling King/Queen :bow:

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else submit their app but haven't received a second email confirming that their app is complete? I have already sent in all my letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else submit their app but haven't received a second email confirming that their app is complete? I have already sent in all my letters.
I got the 'complete' email two minutes after I submitted - just check to see if they've received all of the letters (under 'document status'), or maybe call to see what they're missing?

Wtf is wrong with their portal... I tried 2 weeks ago takes FOREVER to load, and trying right now and still takes forever to load. Is this a sign that I shouldn't apply HAHA

In their "why Emory" essay, they ask us to describe your interest in the degree program that we have selected. If we just selected regular M.D. and none of their combined degree programs, I don't really understand what they want us to explain. Any thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
In their "why Emory" essay, they ask us to describe your interest in the degree program that we have selected. If we just selected regular M.D. and none of their combined degree programs, I don't really understand what they want us to explain. Any thoughts?
Talk about the MD curriculum.

I just took it as a "why us" if you selected the MD

Reactions: 2 users
For those taking a gap year, is anyone else just providing a list of what they are doing, or are you guys actually explaining it (essay format)?

Shoot I didn't read the question properly. Are you listing what you are doing (I am doing X, Y, and Z), or are you giving a description of each activity as well?
"I am doing ____ research with _____ about _____. In addition, I am continuing volunteering with ___ and ____. As far as hobbies go, I am the captain of a ____ team that plays weekly. I also plan on skiing this winter in both ___ and ___" to be vague ish

"I am doing ____ research with _____ about _____. In addition, I am continuing volunteering with ___ and ____. As far as hobbies go, I am the captain of a ____ team that plays weekly. I also plan on skiing this winter in both ___ and ___" to be vague ish
+1; very straight forward, short blurbs.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about for prompt two where it says to briefly describe health related experiences, anyone list them or write them out?

How about for prompt two where it says to briefly describe health related experiences, anyone list them or write them out?

I did an intro sentence or two and then bullet points for what the key takeaway from each experience was for me

Does anyone know what they mean by professional attire for their photo? My photo is in a blue blouse against a white background but I'm not wearing a blazer or anything. Wondering if the blue shirt would make it "unprofessional".

Does anyone know what they mean by professional attire for their photo? My photo is in a blue blouse against a white background but I'm not wearing a blazer or anything. Wondering if the blue shirt would make it "unprofessional".
Mine was just me in a long sleeve button down with no tie against a light green background.

I wore a suit in mine

This was the only one I sent a picture in w a suit. Only because they used the word professional. All other schools I went with plain button down with outside background

Didn’t wear a suit because I didn’t have one. Otherwise would have.

Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences (200 words).

Did you guys list it out like this:
Medical volunteering: XXXXXXXX
EMT: YYYYYYY
ER technician: ZZZZZZZZ

Or did you guys use paragraph?

@EmbryonalCarcinoma @Fruitjuice @Doctors' Docta @limeyguydr

Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences (200 words).

Did you guys list it out like this:
Medical volunteering: XXXXXXXX
EMT: YYYYYYY
ER technician: ZZZZZZZZ

Or did you guys use paragraph?

@EmbryonalCarcinoma @Fruitjuice @Doctors' Docta @limeyguydr

I think I did paragraph. Like “Back in the dark ages I shadowed X, Y, Z. More recently I volunteered doing A, B, C.” I don’t think it matters though.

Am I the only one who did it as a list? I don't want to appear lazy, but I have 6 different activities. How TF am I suppose to write that in paragraph form (I just finished writing the bare minimum for everything in one paragraph, and I'm still 50 words over)? Setting each activity uses precious words so making it as a list is better for me. Do you think this would adversely affect my application?

EDIT: Oh, and I didn't even include shadowing smh

Am I the only one who did it as a list? I don't want to appear lazy, but I have 6 different activities. How TF am I suppose to write that in paragraph form (I just finished writing the bare minimum for everything in one paragraph, and I'm still 50 words over)? Setting each activity uses precious words so making it as a list is better for me. Do you think this would adversely affect my application?

Sounds like you have a lot more then me. It would look dumb if I listed two things. Like I said I don’t think it matters.

Sounds like you have a lot more then me. It would look dumb if I listed two things. Like I said I don’t think it matters.
Thank you for your advice, I just feel like I am the only one who is doing this, so I kinda wanted to get a feel on if anyone else was in my boat.

They have your primary. If they want more Info they can just reference that

"List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.:

I'm currently working and volunteering. Do I need to describe my activity, or just list it? The activities are described in my primary after all..

Submitted 7/7 and I think it updated to show "complete" in 3-4 days. Hope they show me some love!

EDIT: it actually verified on the same day and I received the completion email on the same day, the 7th.

Last edited:
"List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.:

I'm currently working and volunteering. Do I need to describe my activity, or just list it? The activities are described in my primary after all..
Just provide a quick blurb about where you're working/volunteering and what your responsibilities include

For the why Emory essay, is it a bad idea to only write about research?

For the why Emory essay, is it a bad idea to only write about research?

I think so...I would/did write sections about other aspects as well, even if that is actually the only attraction for you.
It's like going on a date with someone and you only like how they look; you still have to tell them they are funny and have a great sense of humor and how you value the diversity they are adding to the date yada yada yada

I asked & the "all PIs" isn't a hard requirement; I just sent ones from my significant research experiences (nontrad; some of my research stuff was like a decade ago so their letter wouldn't be at all representative of what I can do now).
I worked part-time in a lab one summer. Do you think I'll have to snag a letter from the PI?

I worked part-time in a lab one summer. Do you think I'll have to snag a letter from the PI?
If you're applying MD/PHD and this was a major experience for you (resulted in pubs, presentations, etc.) I would say yes. Otherwise, as long as you have your most important PIs offer letters, you should be fine.

Has anyone else paid the fee but can't submit the application? I paid yesterday and it still hasn't updated on my portal.

Has anyone else paid the fee but can't submit the application? I paid yesterday and it still hasn't updated on my portal.
I did have trouble with the payment website and had to go through it twice, but once the payment went through the portal updated instantly. I would double check to see if your credit card actually got charged.

Briefly describe your interest in Emory *and the Emory degree program you have selected*

Contemplating saying "and I'm interested in becoming an MD because of the reasons I described in my personal statement".

Will undergraduate research credit count towards "Biology with Lab" requirement?

Briefly describe your interest in Emory *and the Emory degree program you have selected*

Contemplating saying "and I'm interested in becoming an MD because of the reasons I described in my personal statement".

You spoke about Emory's specific MD program in your personal statement? I jest.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Hello! I'm an MD/PhD applicant and am wondering how others interpreted this MD/PhD prompt:

"The MD/PhD Admissions Committee requires information about all of your significant research experience (8 weeks or longer). Please list below, IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, all of your significant research projects. Be sure to include start/end dates, the name of your PI, the name of the institution, and a detailed description of your role in the project."

Isn't a lot of the content under "a detailed description of your role in the project" covered in your "Significant Research" essay in the primary? How did people interpret this/did y'all just repeat some of the same content/words?

Hello! I'm an MD/PhD applicant and am wondering how others interpreted this MD/PhD prompt:

"The MD/PhD Admissions Committee requires information about all of your significant research experience (8 weeks or longer). Please list below, IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, all of your significant research projects. Be sure to include start/end dates, the name of your PI, the name of the institution, and a detailed description of your role in the project."

Isn't a lot of the content under "a detailed description of your role in the project" covered in your "Significant Research" essay in the primary? How did people interpret this/did y'all just repeat some of the same content/words?
Applications are long and many people apply. My advice is never copy/paste and keep it brief. Let's say they wanted to select from a group of highly qualified pool based on this essay, what would you include? I included a specific description of my role, a sentence about the overarching goal of the project, and resulting pubs/presentations. Good luck!

Email them to make sure, but unless you mention this experience extensively (aka got a pub or wrote about it in your essays) then I doubt they'll ask for it.

I specifically asked about sending a stale letter (UG research from >5y ago) and was told to not worry about it, since I had better/recent references that could more accurately represent my current abilities.