You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Hofstra
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yeah I feel like 1st tier is an actual waitlist seeing normal WL movement, not high priority at all. And 2nd tier feels like a soft RThere are so many people on the first tier lmfao
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
elcapitan96
Full Member
any waitlist movement? im sitting on the 2nd - still hopeful lol
Second look was just cancelled
Hey everyone! I'm a current student posting on behalf of Admissions. As you know, Second Look has been cancelled due to COVID-19. Hofstra will be offering an online experience in lieu of an in-person event. Thank you for understanding, and stay safe!
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
pizzafreak445
New Member
Hi @kbac13 thanks for the update! I heard that Hofstra med is still conducting in person classes during this COVID-19 outbreak even though there are so many cases on LI...this makes me worry a bit about how much the school’s administration cares about the students’ wellbeings. Any insight into this?
They cancelled standardized patient encounters, and the next block after our upcoming spring break will be conducted remotely.Hi @kbac13 thanks for the update! I heard that Hofstra med is still conducting in person classes during this COVID-19 outbreak even though there are so many cases on LI...this makes me worry a bit about how much the school’s administration cares about the students’ wellbeings. Any insight into this?
Also, since 2nd look is cancelled, if any admitted students have any questions about the school, feel free to message me here.
Doesn’t seem to let me start a message chat with u, any chance u can start one I have a few questionsThey cancelled standardized patient encounters, and the next block after our upcoming spring break will be conducted remotely.
Also, since 2nd look is cancelled, if any admitted students have any questions about the school, feel free to message me here.
Oops, I think I enabled it now.Doesn’t seem to let me start a message chat with u, any chance u can start one I have a few questions
I interviewed on 12/20, was placed on 2nd tier WL 2/5. Also sent a Letter of Intent last week. What do you think are my rough chances of getting in? Don't have any other offers, so even just a general thought would be helpful for me to plan out what to do next.
I also got placed on the 2nd tier waitlist around the same time as you, and according to past threads, a 2nd tier WL is essentially a soft rejection. The first tier WL works more like a real waitlist. I'm really sorry to say this, but it might be time to look into reapplying.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They cancelled standardized patient encounters, and the next block after our upcoming spring break will be conducted remotely.
Also, since 2nd look is cancelled, if any admitted students have any questions about the school, feel free to message me here.
Thanks for the info! I'm an admitted student and I was wondering how the school is handling anatomy lab and small group sessions remotely?
scribekage
Full Member
Has anyone heard from here about financial aid?
Medschoolbelle
Full Member
Why are they asking us WL to fill out the survey again?
beyondconfusedneedhelplps
Full Member
i think in a recent email they said we will receive packages "towards the end of march"Has anyone heard from here about financial aid?
scribekage
Full Member
Can someone please post the newest match list? Need something to obsess over during mandatory 14 day isolation post-COVID positive exposure.
Can someone please post the newest match list? Need something to obsess over during mandatory 14 day isolation post-COVID positive exposure.
Student Affairs : Match Day
Celebrate the culmination of years of hard work and dedication with Zucker School of Medicine's Match Day. Discover how our students are matched with residency programs across the country. Learn about the emotional and exciting day's events.
Stay healthy!
beyondconfusedneedhelplps
Full Member
Is it in the portal?Financial aid just got posted for me
Yeah, under financial aid services. They sent a notification of it to my Hofstra Pride email (also accessible through portal)Is it in the portal?
beyondconfusedneedhelplps
Full Member
Oo gotcha I don’t think mine is available yetYeah, under financial aid services. They sent a notification of it to my Hofstra Pride email (also accessible through portal)
Is this merit aid/award? Also when were you admitted?Financial aid just got posted for me
anxiouzbroni
Full Member
Just checked the portal and I received the financial aid email last night. Financial aid was posted- somewhat underwhelming lol 
Lots of loans?Just checked the portal and I received the financial aid email last night. Financial aid was posted- somewhat underwhelming lol![]()
Anyone know if there is a deadline to accept the offer of financial aid
anyone get merit?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
beyondconfusedneedhelplps
Full Member
I got some (it doesn’t specify merit or need but it says hofstra scholarship. I don’t think I qualify for need based though). Not full or even half tuition but definitely helps ofc.anyone get merit?
beyondconfusedneedhelplps
Full Member
Any know if they are leaning towards on campus or off campus housing
I got some (it doesn’t specify merit or need but it says hofstra scholarship. I don’t think I qualify for need based though). Not full or even half tuition but definitely helps ofc.
+1
anybody not receive anything yet? I have not
+1anybody not receive anything yet? I have not
beyondconfusedneedhelplps
Full Member
If you scroll all the way down the hofstra portal, you see your Hofstra email inbox. If there is one from financial aid, then it was posted. Mine wasn’t up when some earlier people’s were up so I think it’s not a mass update, they might be doing it in waves. It would be under financial services award overview.Where did it say in the portal? Checked under financial aid services but don’t see anything, could be not up yet but they said before April...
I got both merit and loan offers, admitted first wave back in December. And yeah to echo some other posts it was a tad underwhelming for me given what I heard from the medical students, but great nonethelessIs this merit aid/award? Also when were you admitted?
So sorry for asking again, but now that it is April did anybody else not receive any fin aid information? just tryna gauge if i should write to them yet.
Just FAFSADid you have to submit a fin aid application to receive notice of merit
did anyone not receive merit?
beyondconfusedneedhelplps
Full Member
The only thing you have to do to be considered for merit or need grants is submit parent information in fafsa as well. But there's not separate notification, it is just in the financial aid tab or your new hofstra email.Did you have to submit a fin aid application to receive notice of merit
D
deleted977121
Does Hofstra tend to give out more aid closer to April? As in they'll give you more money on top of the scholarships they already gave you? I got maybe $2k more from another private school and was wondering if I should email them to ask them to match or just wait to see how much they're willing to give out still?
I got the "Zucker SOM Scholarship" from Hofstra yesterday/today (and very grateful for it) -- however, because it won't show me anything other than the 2020-2021 aid year, I cannot tell if this scholarship is applicable all 4 years or just for the first year of medical school? Any ideas?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Zucker scholarship and the NS/LIJ loan are automatically renewed all 4 years.I got the "Zucker SOM Scholarship" from Hofstra yesterday/today (and very grateful for it) -- however, because it won't show me anything other than the 2020-2021 aid year, I cannot tell if this scholarship is applicable all 4 years or just for the first year of medical school? Any ideas?
Thanks!The Zucker scholarship and the NS/LIJ loan are automatically renewed all 4 years.
Medschoolbelle
Full Member
I just got an email invite to the virtual waitlist wellness seminar. Do they do this every year?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm relatively sure that they can vary (however, not by much, I don't think they are handing out, for example, ZSOM full-tuition scholarships).is the ZOM scholarship amount the same for all?