2019-2020 Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm relatively sure that they can vary (however, not by much, I don't think they are handing out, for example, ZSOM full-tuition scholarships).
I think you’re right. Amounts can vary based on combination of need and merit.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone attending the waitlist wellness zoom meeting today?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone remember if Hofstra wanted letters of interest in April even if we sent them earlier on in the cycle? I know some schools explicitly recommend you do this, not sure if Hofstra is one of them.

Does anyone remember if Hofstra wanted letters of interest in April even if we sent them earlier on in the cycle? I know some schools explicitly recommend you do this, not sure if Hofstra is one of them.
I'm probably going to send another letter in before Apr 30. Don't know exactly what the policy is, but it seems to me that Hofstra likes when applicants display interest.

I'm probably going to send another letter in before Apr 30. Don't know exactly what the policy is, but it seems to me that Hofstra likes when applicants display interest.
you're really good at interviewing congrats on that 50% success rate.

• Love
Does anyone know more about the Zucker SOM Scholarship -- is it merit or need based? What's the maximum amount that is awarded?

Do you guys remember what Hofstra said about USMLE fees? I feel like I remembered them saying they pay for Uworld, registration fees, etc, but it may be just false memories at this point o_O

Do you guys remember what Hofstra said about USMLE fees? I feel like I remembered them saying they pay for Uworld, registration fees, etc, but it may be just false memories at this point o_O
I know they pay for uworld, not sure about the other stuff

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if first tier waitlist sees decent movement? Any currents students wanna chime in?

Did anyone else on the 1st tier waitlist get a “waitlist interest” email a few days ago? It came through my application portal and is different than the reminders they’ve been sending to fill out the waitlist survey

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else on the 1st tier waitlist get a “waitlist interest” email a few days ago? It came through my application portal and is different than the reminders they’ve been sending to fill out the waitlist survey

What'd it say?

What'd it say?
It said "We wish to get the most updated information regarding your continued interest in our school as the April 30th AAMC decision deadline approaches. If you remain interested in holding your 1st tier waitlist position, no further action is needed at this time" but asked me to withdraw if I'm not interested anymore

It said "We wish to get the most updated information regarding your continued interest in our school as the April 30th AAMC decision deadline approaches. If you remain interested in holding your 1st tier waitlist position, no further action is needed at this time" but asked me to withdraw if I'm not interested anymore

Oh I got one too and I'm 2nd tier.

Committed and excited :) Hopefully will be seeing some of y'all in August! (over Zoom ?! :p)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Withdrew as well! Good luck :)

edit: also wanted to say y'all are gonna be amazing doctors!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
I also just withdrew my admissions offer. This was a tough choice, but I hope that this means someone who was previously waitlisted will be soon receiving an offer!

Best of luck to everyone who has decided on Hofstra!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone had the courage to ask if there has ever been 2nd tier movement ?

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
does anyone have an estimate of how many people are on first tier? There is no info of it on the waitlist info provided by AAMC

Accepted off the first tier waitlist! I sent a LOI as well.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Welp, that's my interview date. Guess it's clipped for me. GG bois

You never know. People who get accepted off the waitlist might decide to go somewhere else anyway.

Welp, that's my interview date. Guess it's clipped for me. GG bois
Don't lose hope! Even though the process is tough, trust the hard work that you've put in to reach this point.

Pretty sure interview date does not matter much at this point... biggest determiner is 1st vs 2nd tier waitlist then probably the extent to which you've shown interest.

Just checking in! Has there been any waitlist movement since Monday?

• Wow
Just checking in! Has there been any waitlist movement since Monday?

Hello my friend! I see you’re on both the Cornell and Hofstra WLs just like me ahahah I thought I recognized your username from somewhere, this WL movement has been sad so far for sure. I think I’ve only seen one or two ppl get off the Hofstra WL so far. Seems suspicious since hofstra tends to have low yield historically, but idk

• Wow
Hello my friend! I see you’re on both the Cornell and Hofstra WLs just like me ahahah I thought I recognized your username from somewhere, this WL movement has been sad so far for sure. I think I’ve only seen one or two ppl get off the Hofstra WL so far. Seems suspicious since hofstra tends to have low yield historically, but idk
Hello! Im happy to see someone in the same boat haha. Hopefully, there will be some more movement in the next few days.

• Love
Full disclosure…I ask as a parent. Those that have chosen Hofstra, given that Hofstra has a median MCAT of 517, how have you reconciled your selection assuming you have received acceptances from higher ranked schools but with similar stats? I am assuming the final decision was made based upon the strength of the Northwell hospital system and it’s proximity to NYC. The selection criteria of Hofstra appears to be laser focused , i.e Higher MCAT and T10 undergrad preference imo, is it the assumption that this schools ranking will continue to improve? Please expound on your pro’s.

Full disclosure…I ask as a parent. Those that have chosen Hofstra, given that Hofstra has a median MCAT of 517, how have you reconciled your selection assuming you have received acceptances from higher ranked schools but with similar stats? I am assuming the final decision was made based upon the strength of the Northwell hospital system and it’s proximity to NYC. The selection criteria of Hofstra appears to be laser focused , i.e Higher MCAT and T10 undergrad preference imo, is it the assumption that this schools ranking will continue to improve? Please expound on your pro’s.
For me, it's pretty simple. Hofstra's curriculum fits my learning style the best, and Northwell has no shortage of great clinical training and research opportunities. The school has clearly put a lot of effort into developing their curriculum to be learner-focused and self-directed. I, for one, would much rather learn in a collaborative environment that values case-based discussion, rather than sit in my room and watch recorded lectures (which some students do prefer). It's really amazing the way the curriculum integrates and emphasizes conceptual learning. Even after receiving acceptances at higher-ranked T30 schools (Hofstra's ranking doesn't mean much given that it's only 10 years old), none matched my learning style as well. And I'm not worried about ranking given their recent match lists. All these reasons, paired with a generous financial aid package, made my decision pretty easy.

For me, it's pretty simple. Hofstra's curriculum fits my learning style the best, and Northwell has no shortage of great clinical training and research opportunities. The school has clearly put a lot of effort into developing their curriculum to be learner-focused and self-directed. I, for one, would much rather learn in a collaborative environment that values case-based discussion, rather than sit in my room and watch recorded lectures (which some students do prefer). It's really amazing the way the curriculum integrates and emphasizes conceptual learning. Even after receiving acceptances at higher-ranked T30 schools (Hofstra's ranking doesn't mean much given that it's only 10 years old), none matched my learning style as well. And I'm not worried about ranking given their recent match lists. All these reasons, paired with a generous financial aid package, made my decision pretty easy.

Appreciate the response! Very similar arguement to what my son is making at the moment. I will not speak for him, however do understand why he is leaning towards Hofstra. I suspect the fact that Northwell has upward of 20+ hospitals including NYC makes for a compelling pro given the new complexities and challenges of a P/F step 1. As I understand the curriculum, a collaborative environment which values discussion is actually appealing to many as opposed to, as you state it, simply watching recorded lectures alone. Again, thank you for your input!

Accepted off of first tier waitlist today at 2:00pm

Reactions: 4 users

Agree with everything. I also chose Hofstra over a T20 bc I saw myself really thriving in the environment at Hofstra. Plus, the strides it's made as a school that's only 10 years old is amazing, and I can guarantee the ranking will be much higher by the time we graduate.

Are they receptive to WL position inquiries?

Does anyone know if matriculants from the waitlist have less scholarship/financial aid (excluding loans) than matriculants that were directly accepted?

Does anyone have information on the Hofstra class of 2024 waitlist group? Does it seem like the class is full?

Does anyone have information on the Hofstra class of 2024 waitlist group? Does it seem like the class is full?
I just emailed the director of admissions about the expected class size and waitlist movement. I'll report back once when she responds.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
They responded. They are unable to disclose any information. It was worth a shot!

• Sad
They responded. They are unable to disclose any information. It was worth a shot!

That might mean that the waitlist is still active for Hofstra! About to return the favor, take my chances and send this email to Cornell to ask about their movement haha, fingers crossed my friend