2019-2020 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is Howard still interviewing for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, same thing happened when I called recently, too. I'm WL'd for the past 5 months. IDK what she knows that I dont, but it sounded like a more professional version of just "hey kid, take the L, just reapply." Not sure if my file was pulled up and she saw the R already, or if Admin is generically telling this to any caller at this point, even if there is still hope. Its messing with me mentally.
No this is actually a thing. I kid you not she did that to me in person. I was stunned...

Last edited:
Hey, same thing happened when I called recently, too. I'm WL'd for the past 5 months. IDK what she knows that I dont, but it sounded like a more professional version of just "hey kid, take the L, just reapply." Not sure if my file was pulled up and she saw the R already, or if Admin is generically telling this to any caller at this point, even if there is still hope. Its messing with me mentally.
Who did you speak to?

Is Howard still interviewing for this cycle?
Although it is possible for them to still be offering more IIs (happened before), Howard's completely done with their interview season. Several others have brought up that the last possible date was April 8th.

To those still waiting on an II, I've officially confirmed from an inside source that what's been said is truly the case. It doesn't help that they're not direct in their statements when you call or email them, simply "suggesting" you apply next year and what not. I get the uncertainty.

If you're like me who has yet to hear back from them at this point, take it as a silent rejection and consider your other options. The journey is NOT over, we've got this! Time is of the essence and it would be a shame for you to still be holding your breath in June...

Congrats to those who have been accepted or on the WL.

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrawing my acceptance, so there's a spot for one of y'all!

Reactions: 8 users
Just got the pre II R, good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be withdrawing my acceptance here soon. I hope it goes to one of you who are waiting.

I really enjoyed my interview here and I could have easily seen myself attending Howard.
Congrats to your acceptance. What were your stats?

Reactions: 1 user
Got my R but my R doesn't say they are no longer interviewing.

got the R just now! good luck y'all! we all about to be docs in 4 years!

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
I just wanted to send some light and positivity out there . I’m so proud of everyone on this forum (even though we don’t know each other lol). Just remember the reason why we all started this and never ever ever give up. We got this and that’s on periodtttt. ❤️❤️

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
I just wanted to send some light and positivity out there . I’m so proud of everyone on this forum (even though we don’t know each other lol). Just remember the reason why we all started this and never ever ever give up. We got this and that’s on periodtttt. ❤❤
+1 sis! or bro!

Reactions: 4 users
Primary Completed: 7/31/19

CASPer: 8/20/19

Secondary Offered: 9/5/19

Secondary/Application Completed: 9/17/19

Interview Invite: 3/21/20

Interview Date: 4/7/20

Alternate Waitlist: 4/23/20 (after 11pm EST)

Goodluck all!

Last edited:
hi guys. if any of you have been to Howard for an interview, and the medical students were in the lab dissecting, I can guarantee you I was the most disheveled looking one in the batch haha

I am an M1 and I caught the tail end of what you guys were posting about in here. I want to add my $0.02

An old mentor of mine said it best:
"Getting into a US MD medical school, period, is like getting into the NBA or the NFL: it might not be the team you dreamed of, but you're still a certified pro player. We all know what teams our favorite players are on, but do we always know what teams they started on?"

With that being said, once you are in, you can get a match list if you ask. Most of the matches are decent/pretty good in quality but there are also PLENTY that are like.....astonishingly impressive.

If you come here, just work hard. Period. IF you suck here, you'll suck anywhere but there is just less benefit of the doubt for HBCUs. Still, if your numbers are on point coming out of Howard, you'll get the lovely added bonus of the "woke, culturally competent MD" vibe (which will also be true and incredibly unique). This is a huge advantage given our social climate right now and its trajectory. Otherwise, if you skate by, you'll catch the brunt of that negative stigma that some of you may have heard of (or are concerned about) that surrounds HBCU medical schools: it's really a double edged sword.

Howard does an excellent job selecting a cohesive cohort that makes it easy for your classes and events to feel like a united team/family enduring the storm that is US medical education. The alumni from Howard are legendary and goddamned gung-ho about supporting medical students. You guys aren't really going to get that anywhere else and it means a lot when the going gets rough and the help needs to get got.

YOU just need to prioritize what matters to you. If you want that cold, hard prestige (which I'm not mad at you for it at all lol) then you might need to readjust your list accordingly. However, if you want to match well and meet some of the coolest people ever while learning science from POC, by POC, for all, then I'd say you couldn't go wrong coming here.

Wow, thank you so much for this! I really needed it.

Last edited:
  • Love
To those accepted, Has anyone received any financial aid information? I know the last day to get the $100 fee back or to commit is April 30th. Wondering if they'll push that date back as we don't have financial aid packages to make a thorough decision

for those who are worried right now, keep your head up and stay positive! I have two friends who got accepted in late May/June so anything is possible! There will be ALOT of movement after the April 30th deadline passes.

To those accepted, Has anyone received any financial aid information? I know the last day to get the $100 fee back or to commit is April 30th. Wondering if they'll push that date back as we don't have financial aid packages to make a thorough decision

for those who are worried right now, keep your head up and stay positive! I have two friends who got accepted in late May/June so anything is possible! There will be ALOT of movement after the April 30th deadline passes.

Hey, so I’ve been accepted and still am waiting for a financial award package to show up on my Bison account. However, hopefully you have received that email from Howard from Mrs. Aitcheson which was basically an update saying that her and her team are still trying to award individuals. It talked about the good likelihood of a student receiving the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the GradPlus loan. However, I still haven’t received a solidified award package yet. In my opinion, I doubt that they will change the commit date. I think most medical schools everywhere l are having this dilemma and will keep the commit date or maybe become lenient with it. From what I hear, most medical schools won’t be able to award all accepted applicants by this commit date and will be awarding them mostly in May. So, I think most applicants will have to take a chance with their desired schools. BUT, we still have this week left, so hopefully Howard will get back to us!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys I withdrew my acceptance last week. Interviewed back in November (Thanksgiving week) and got accepted the week after-ish. Really enjoyed my visit and I can sense that the school was speaking to me, especially with regards to serving the underserved. I had been having a tough time narrowing down my choices and so many factors played in, including this pandemic. I don't think DC is for me overall but do care for Howard's mission.

I hope one you take this seat! I was offered half-tuition scholarship as well.

I wish you guys the best in this journey and hope to cross paths some day, my future colleagues.

Reactions: 10 users
Hey guys I withdrew my acceptance last week. Interviewed back in November (Thanksgiving week) and got accepted the week after-ish. Really enjoyed my visit and I can sense that the school was speaking to me, especially with regards to serving the underserved. I had been having a tough time narrowing down my choices and so many factors played in, including this pandemic. I don't think DC is for me overall but do care for Howard's mission.

I hope one you take this seat! I was offered half-tuition scholarship as well.

I wish you guys the best in this journey and hope to cross paths some day, my future colleagues.
What were your stats?

Reactions: 1 user
How do you withdraw?
Waltzing in here for a moment to answer: The best way is to send an email to Celia Williams-Fowlkes saying that you want to withdraw. You'll get an email that confirms your withdrawal and talks about refunds of any deposits/fees you might have paid.

Are they sending acceptances off the waitlist now as seats become available or are they ranking and send out acceptances after the 30th?

Reactions: 2 users
I withdrew my acceptance today. Hopefully, someone on the waitlist receives great news soon!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
does howard release actual match lists? i saw the screenshot of the types of specialties matched at, but I was wondering if there was any info on the institutions...

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
If there's anybody else in the hard position of deciding between schools today, feel free to DM me. Struggling with the same myself and would love to have someone else to talk through it with.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
It was a hard choice to make but I just withdrew my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of y’all! Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users