2019-2020 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone had any experience with the University of New England Organic Chemistry 2 course online?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I may be able to answer some questions since I have interacted with them on several occasions. I did study their online courses before I developed my own online organic chemistry courses.
Thank you! I want to take their online organic chemistry 2 course. I was registered for my university's summer 1 course but because of covid it was canceled so now I am looking for other alternatives to take the course before matriculation. My question is, the course is 16 weeks long but online is says its self paced. Do you think it can be completed before this 16 weeks? I also read that the course is a lot more difficult than traditional college courses. Did you find this to be true?

Thank you! I want to take their online organic chemistry 2 course. I was registered for my university's summer 1 course but because of covid it was canceled so now I am looking for other alternatives to take the course before matriculation. My question is, the course is 16 weeks long but online is says its self paced. Do you think it can be completed before this 16 weeks? I also read that the course is a lot more difficult than traditional college courses. Did you find this to be true?

To confirm, are you planning on taking organic 2 before (or without) organic 1? If so, I would definitely advise against that.

The UNE course is designed to be completed over a 16 week period--essentially 16 weekly assignments/modules, etc. However, since the courses are self-paced, you can get them done much faster if you have the time to spend on the course. You do need to have plenty of time available to complete the course as you have a lot of material to learn. You will also want to have discipline as a lack of it tends to be a factor for students not doing well in an online course.

Most of my students are on federal financial aid and that aid cannot be used for UNE courses. So you are paying out of pocket, so to speak. That aspect and the proctoring/webcam hassles have been the issues students have told me about.

Reactions: 1 user
To confirm, are you planning on taking organic 2 before (or without) organic 1? If so, I would definitely advise against that.

The UNE course is designed to be completed over a 16 week period--essentially 16 weekly assignments/modules, etc. However, since the courses are self-paced, you can get them done much faster if you have the time to spend on the course. You do need to have plenty of time available to complete the course as you have a lot of material to learn. You will also want to have discipline as a lack of it tends to be a factor for students not doing well in an online course.

Most of my students are on federal financial aid and that aid cannot be used for UNE courses. So you are paying out of pocket, so to speak. That aspect and the proctoring/webcam hassles have been the issues students have told me about.

Thank you. No i have already completed orgo 1 with lab. Thank you very much for your response.

I suspect we won’t see much till next week. My question is does the committee have to meet for there to be movement

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! just popping in on this thread to say:
1 of my friends just got accepted of the waitlist today
1 of my other friends withdrew her acceptance today

Goodluck to yall! keep the hope and faith alive!

Reactions: 5 users
For those asking about his acceptance, he was accepted today @ 1:30 and interviewed feb 28

Reactions: 3 users
Any more acceptances? Oh geez let’s pray guys

Reactions: 4 users
accepted off the waitlist as well today! i've been reading quietly here but wanted to share the good news and wish everyone the best of luck as well!! I interviewed towards the end of February if that helps

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
accepted off the waitlist as well today! i've been reading quietly here but wanted to share the good news and wish everyone the best of luck as well!! I interviewed towards the end of February if that helps
Congratulations!

congrats !!! Did you happen to send a LOI?

congrats !!! Did you happen to send a LOI?

thank you very much! :) yes i did. this is my top school so i sent my letter in like a few days after receiving the waitlist decision. If you decide to, make sure you send in to Ms. Williams-Fowlkes, Dr. Rose, and the admissions email to ensure you get a confirmation email back.

Reactions: 4 users
thank you very much! :) yes i did. this is my top school so i sent my letter in like a few days after receiving the waitlist decision. If you decide to, make sure you send in to Ms. Williams-Fowlkes, Dr. Rose, and the admissions email to ensure you get a confirmation email back.
thank you for this advice

I suspect we won’t see much till next week. My question is does the committee have to meet for there to be movement

They said the list is ranked in the email, so there shouldn’t be any need for them to meet. You never know really, but if it’s ranked... we should all file in according to the number we are assigned.

Last edited:
Feeling very discouraged at this point. As a person who is way north of 40, I feel my dream of medicine slipping away. I wish everyone all the luck in the world.

Feeling very discouraged at this point. As a person who is way north of 40, I feel my dream of medicine slipping away. I wish everyone all the luck in the world.
I hear you but it is now that you need to draw strength from the reason you’ve stayed the course. Remember why you started. Stay encouraged.

please please please don't give up.

Don’t give up! Your time is coming!

Reactions: 2 users
Checking in to say I was accepted off the waitlist last week! Interviewed in March

Reactions: 5 users
One of the toughest decisions but I’ve decided to withdraw my acceptance from here as I got off a WL. Really saw myself attending Howard & being in DC. Good luck to those on the WL praying for you guys & the HUCM class of ‘24!

Reactions: 10 users
One of the toughest decisions but I’ve decided to withdraw my acceptance from here as I got off a WL. Really saw myself attending Howard & being in DC. Good luck to those on the WL praying for you guys & the HUCM class of ‘24!
Where did you decide on instead?

Really excited. I got off the wait list today and received my acceptance! Good luck to everyone this cycle and beyond!
Would ya mind sharing ur stat?
I heard that they are ranking their Waitlist based on stats.

Did anyone get the “accepted pending the availability of a seat” email?

So there are different letters? Mine was sent by Sharmon Jones and the letter doesn’t say anything about accepted pending availability of a seat, but that my name is on the alternate waitlist and priority to fill seats begins in spring 2020.

So there are different letters? Mine was sent by Sharmon Jones and the letter doesn’t say anything about accepted pending availability of a seat, but that my name is on the alternate waitlist and priority to fill seats begins in spring 2020.

Same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@gunner526 @SoontobeDR25 That's a relief. Mine also said "alternative waitlist." This morning, I decided to check out the 2018-2019 forum for the first time and saw that some waitlist e-mails from the last cycle had more promising news and I'm actually glad to hear that may not be the case for this cycle. As soon as I saw that I felt like there was no hope, BUT THERE IS! lol

It looks like they are accepting people of the waitlist who interviewed in February and March first. I'm waiting to see people move off the waitlist that interviewed in April.

Did everyone get their waitlist decision around two weeks after their interview?

It looks like they are accepting people of the waitlist who interviewed in February and March first. I'm waiting to see people move off the waitlist that interviewed in April.

I interviewed in January and was WL'd shortly after....i haven't heard back yet :/

Just withdrew my acceptance and scholarship offer.

Best of luck to all of those who remain on the waitlist - stay strong!

Reactions: 9 users
Has the wait list movement quieted?

Accepted off waitlist.
Interviewed 2/19.
3rd cycle.
Sent letter of intent.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Primary Completed: 7/31/19

Secondary Offered: 9/5/19

Secondary/Application Completed: 9/17/19

Interview Invite: 3/21/20

Interview Date: 4/7/20

Alternate Waitlist: 4/23/20 (after 11pm EST)

Accepted: 5/6/20 (Alumni Here)

Goodluck all!
*Sent extensive resume, letter of intent along with supplemental information describing my clinical hours, research, awards, etc. the day after my interview. I'm extremely non-traditional, so the AMCAS application system barely allows me to create the full picture (especially because I wasn't a fan of the repetitive questions I was asked in one of my interviews). After that, I did not bother the Office of Admissions.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users