2019-2020 Howard

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I may be able to answer some questions since I have interacted with them on several occasions. I did study their online courses before I developed my own online organic chemistry courses.
Thank you! I want to take their online organic chemistry 2 course. I was registered for my university's summer 1 course but because of covid it was canceled so now I am looking for other alternatives to take the course before matriculation. My question is, the course is 16 weeks long but online is says its self paced. Do you think it can be completed before this 16 weeks? I also read that the course is a lot more difficult than traditional college courses. Did you find this to be true?
 
Thank you! I want to take their online organic chemistry 2 course. I was registered for my university's summer 1 course but because of covid it was canceled so now I am looking for other alternatives to take the course before matriculation. My question is, the course is 16 weeks long but online is says its self paced. Do you think it can be completed before this 16 weeks? I also read that the course is a lot more difficult than traditional college courses. Did you find this to be true?


To confirm, are you planning on taking organic 2 before (or without) organic 1? If so, I would definitely advise against that.

The UNE course is designed to be completed over a 16 week period--essentially 16 weekly assignments/modules, etc. However, since the courses are self-paced, you can get them done much faster if you have the time to spend on the course. You do need to have plenty of time available to complete the course as you have a lot of material to learn. You will also want to have discipline as a lack of it tends to be a factor for students not doing well in an online course.

Most of my students are on federal financial aid and that aid cannot be used for UNE courses. So you are paying out of pocket, so to speak. That aspect and the proctoring/webcam hassles have been the issues students have told me about.
 
To confirm, are you planning on taking organic 2 before (or without) organic 1? If so, I would definitely advise against that.

The UNE course is designed to be completed over a 16 week period--essentially 16 weekly assignments/modules, etc. However, since the courses are self-paced, you can get them done much faster if you have the time to spend on the course. You do need to have plenty of time available to complete the course as you have a lot of material to learn. You will also want to have discipline as a lack of it tends to be a factor for students not doing well in an online course.

Most of my students are on federal financial aid and that aid cannot be used for UNE courses. So you are paying out of pocket, so to speak. That aspect and the proctoring/webcam hassles have been the issues students have told me about.

Thank you. No i have already completed orgo 1 with lab. Thank you very much for your response.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Feeling very discouraged at this point. As a person who is way north of 40, I feel my dream of medicine slipping away. I wish everyone all the luck in the world.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So there are different letters? Mine was sent by Sharmon Jones and the letter doesn’t say anything about accepted pending availability of a seat, but that my name is on the alternate waitlist and priority to fill seats begins in spring 2020.
 
So there are different letters? Mine was sent by Sharmon Jones and the letter doesn’t say anything about accepted pending availability of a seat, but that my name is on the alternate waitlist and priority to fill seats begins in spring 2020.

Same.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@gunner526 @SoontobeDR25 That's a relief. Mine also said "alternative waitlist." This morning, I decided to check out the 2018-2019 forum for the first time and saw that some waitlist e-mails from the last cycle had more promising news and I'm actually glad to hear that may not be the case for this cycle. As soon as I saw that I felt like there was no hope, BUT THERE IS! lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Primary Completed: 7/31/19

Secondary Offered: 9/5/19

Secondary/Application Completed: 9/17/19

Interview Invite: 3/21/20

Interview Date: 4/7/20

Alternate Waitlist: 4/23/20 (after 11pm EST)

Accepted: 5/6/20 (Alumni Here)


Goodluck all!
*Sent extensive resume, letter of intent along with supplemental information describing my clinical hours, research, awards, etc. the day after my interview. I'm extremely non-traditional, so the AMCAS application system barely allows me to create the full picture (especially because I wasn't a fan of the repetitive questions I was asked in one of my interviews). After that, I did not bother the Office of Admissions.