2019-2020 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hypothetically, what do y'all think are the pros/cons of preemptively withdrawing for those of us awaiting a decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awaiting a decision as in...you've interviewed but haven't heard back from them yet?
Yeap awaiting decision post-interview. I'm worried that a last-minute offer may not be feasible for someone who isn't local in the wake of Covid. I don't want to come off as presumptuous or unprofessional, but I'd feel worse if another student(s) didn't get the opportunity to interview. Now more than ever we need all hands on deck even as lowly M1s. There are many reasons this would be a tough move for me on short notice if I'm ultimately blessed with an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeap awaiting decision post-interview. I'm worried that a last-minute offer may not be feasible for someone who isn't local in the wake of Covid. I don't want to come off as presumptuous or unprofessional, but I'd feel worse if another student(s) didn't get the opportunity to interview. Now more than ever we need all hands on deck even as lowly M1s. There are many reasons this would be a tough move for me on short notice if I'm ultimately blessed with an acceptance.
As someone's who's far from local and sorta in the same boat, I definitely understand your concern. And I guess it's really dependent on a) exactly how many more interviews HUCM is going to offer now (if I remember correctly, they interview ~350 people for their class of 120) and b) your individual situation. I don't know how recently you interviewed and if you've got other acceptances lined up, so it's hard to give more specific advice (feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk about it more). I could be wrong, but they're likely at the end of their interview cycle.

I can tell you that HUCM is still expecting to start orientation on July 8th, unless COVID gets even crazier. (This is from an email I received 2 days ago outlining what HUCM is doing regarding classes and incoming M1s during the pandemic.)

In the meantime, hopefully I can answer your original question...

I guess the major pros would be that you can focus on narrowing down your current acceptances to one. In turn, you can focus on doing the paperwork/moving/whatever other things you need to do for that one school. This is assuming you've got other acceptances lined up, especially if they're at nearby schools. Also, there's less waiting and uncertainty in the case you end up WLed. Cost of living is also a plus; DC is expensive to live in (Silver Springs/MD side is more affordable, but still...), not to mention commuting.

One con would be potentially losing out on an acceptance. Even if you're WLed, you have a good chance of being accepted. It really depends on your other acceptances; if you have only 1-2 other As, I'd try to hang on a little longer before calling it quits. From what I can tell, HUCM has a good support network and resources in place to help students transition to DC. Additionally, another con is missing out on DC; you've got close access to the NIH, government, etc. That might be a consideration if you're looking into more research-y/advocacy stuff. I think HUCM has some relationships with nearby schools in DC (I think Georgetown), so that could be a plus again if you're looking into research stuff.

If anyone has any other ideas, it'd be well appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
As someone's who's far from local and sorta in the same boat, I definitely understand your concern. And I guess it's really dependent on a) exactly how many more interviews HUCM is going to offer now (if I remember correctly, they interview ~350 people for their class of 120) and b) your individual situation. I don't know how recently you interviewed and if you've got other acceptances lined up, so it's hard to give more specific advice (feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk about it more). I could be wrong, but they're likely at the end of their interview cycle.

I can tell you that HUCM is still expecting to start orientation on July 8th, unless COVID gets even crazier. (This is from an email I received 2 days ago outlining what HUCM is doing regarding classes and incoming M1s during the pandemic.)

In the meantime, hopefully I can answer your original question...

I guess the major pros would be that you can focus on narrowing down your current acceptances to one. In turn, you can focus on doing the paperwork/moving/whatever other things you need to do for that one school. This is assuming you've got other acceptances lined up, especially if they're at nearby schools. Also, there's less waiting and uncertainty in the case you end up WLed. Cost of living is also a plus; DC is expensive to live in (Silver Springs/MD side is more affordable, but still...), not to mention commuting.

One con would be potentially losing out on an acceptance. Even if you're WLed, you have a good chance of being accepted. It really depends on your other acceptances; if you have only 1-2 other As, I'd try to hang on a little longer before calling it quits. From what I can tell, HUCM has a good support network and resources in place to help students transition to DC. Additionally, another con is missing out on DC; you've got close access to the NIH, government, etc. That might be a consideration if you're looking into more research-y/advocacy stuff. I think HUCM has some relationships with nearby schools in DC (I think Georgetown), so that could be a plus again if you're looking into research stuff.

If anyone has any other ideas, it'd be well appreciated!
Wow thanks so much for that super thoughtful response! Yeah, definitely lots to consider. The DC/HU network is definitely a big selling point for me. I don't want to digress by getting too detailed with personal considerations, but yeah cost of living is a big one for me. The program never really lost its luster for me just feeling the need to commit so I can be mentally prepared to start medical school somewhere in the coming months. Yikes!

Looking at last year's thread, someone posted in early June that they received official notification that all IIs had been given out, so it seems this could go on for quite a while longer. Apprehensive about this whole process with mass quarantines/distancing likely extending through May and into June. In that regard, I can't imagine yield on offers will be higher due to Covid and STEP change so I think applicants/WLers have reason to be optimistic. Ultimately, it's a numbers game where approx. 1 in 3 admits will commit to enroll. I'd bet the (relatively) low yield reflects that admissions thirsts after applicants with high GPA/MCAT rather than making fewer offers to applicants who would very likely attend if offered a spot sooner in order to "balance" their MSAR data. They leave the rest of us on read until the other shoe drops and fill up the class from the WL (approx. 80% according to First Friday). The medical profession may be altruistic, but higher education is very much a for-profit enterprise driven by political and economic forces. Sorry if that's a little too cynical for people. I'm jaded; I moonlighted as an admissions consultant for many years.

Reactions: 4 users
Wow thanks so much for that super thoughtful response! Yeah, definitely lots to consider. The DC/HU network is definitely a big selling point for me. I don't want to digress by getting too detailed with personal considerations, but yeah cost of living is a big one for me. The program never really lost its luster for me just feeling the need to commit so I can be mentally prepared to start medical school somewhere in the coming months. Yikes!

Looking at last year's thread, someone posted in early June that they received official notification that all IIs had been given out, so it seems this could go on for quite a while longer. Apprehensive about this whole process with mass quarantines/distancing likely extending through May and into June. In that regard, I can't imagine yield on offers will be higher due to Covid and STEP change so I think applicants/WLers have reason to be optimistic. Ultimately, it's a numbers game where approx. 1 in 3 admits will commit to enroll. I'd bet the (relatively) low yield reflects that admissions thirsts after applicants with high GPA/MCAT rather than making fewer offers to applicants who would very likely attend if offered a spot sooner in order to "balance" their MSAR data. They leave the rest of us on read until the other shoe drops and fill up the class from the WL (approx. 80% according to First Friday). The medical profession may be altruistic, but higher education is very much a for-profit enterprise driven by political and economic forces. Sorry if that's a little too cynical for people. I'm jaded; I moonlighted as an admissions consultant for many years.
I have to thank you too for your thoughtful response! The DC/HU network and COL are huge points for me too, so 100% got you there! And yes, exactly; that assurance of where you're going helps so much with planning-both physically and mentally. I don't think I've ever appreciated the concept of certainty until this application cycle, holy crap.

Interesting! I didn't know about a formal notification when all IIs were given out, so you're likely right on that. I'm hoping that COVID won't delay things too much, but I might be hoping for too much there. I absolutely appreciate your discussion on the admission stats, and no worries on the cynicism (I think you're being very honest and realistic tbh). Seeing that 80% WL stat really drives the point home. It's important to be (constructively) critical of the system we're entering as applicants, even if we don't have much power or voice. I agree with you; it's nice to have high-stat students, but I think it's more valuable having students across the spectrum who can contribute to the school's mission. It lends to so many more perspectives, not to mention the school can recruit truly committed students from the get-go.

I wish there was a less stressful way to go about the WL, at least when it comes to curbing the wait for applicants. I know that's partly why the Traffic Rules exist, but ugh...

Reactions: 5 users
There are no more interview slots available at this point. The last wave was April 8th. It will not affect anything other than them possibly offering you a spot and then immediately handing it over to someone else if you decline.

Reactions: 1 users

When did you interview?

There are no more interview slots available at this point. The last wave was April 8th. It will not affect anything other than them possibly offering you a spot and then immediately handing it over to someone else if you decline.

Is this official? I emailed them last week asking if they were still giving out interviews and received no response :( guess its time to throw in the towel.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing my A here. Good luck to everyone this cycle.

Does anyone know if there has been movement off the waitlist?

hi there! No chance they’d interview after this date?
I emailed admissions and they stated to begin focusing on reapplying for the 2020-2021 cycle.
I take that either as interview dates are over or I am rejected. It wasn't exactly clear

Does anyone know if there has been movement off the waitlist?
There has been continuous movement off of the waitlist, which is super exciting! Howard tends to have tons of movement throughout the season.

Being on the waitlist is so stressful :(

but praying for the best!

Does everyone in an interview batch get a decision regarding their interview at the same time?

I emailed admissions and they stated to begin focusing on reapplying for the 2020-2021 cycle.
I take that either as interview dates are over or I am rejected. It wasn't exactly clear

Hey, same thing happened when I called recently, too. I'm WL'd for the past 5 months. IDK what she knows that I dont, but it sounded like a more professional version of just "hey kid, take the L, just reapply." Not sure if my file was pulled up and she saw the R already, or if Admin is generically telling this to any caller at this point, even if there is still hope. Its messing with me mentally.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone here gotten a post interview rejection or knows if they issue rejections post interview?

Is there a difference between being placed in the "Alternate Waitlist" and the "Waitlist"? And has anyone from the "Alternate Waitlist" received an acceptance recently?

Is there a difference between being placed in the "Alternate Waitlist" and the "Waitlist"? And has anyone from the "Alternate Waitlist" received an acceptance recently?
The alternate waitlist and the waitlist are one of the same.

They are the same.

I think it is too early to expect Waitlist movements in April. If everything goes well, I would expect anytime from May 2nd or so.

Just hoping for my R now! Really wish they didn’t keep us hanging and just gave us our final decision so we can move on.

I am Waitlisted to 3 schools and 0 acceptance to today. I feel like It is because of my low MCAT CARS score. So, I just started studying to retake MCAT in June. If I get A from one of those school, I will be happy and give away my MCAT materials. If not, I don't want waste my time sitting and waiting for decision. If you dont have any acceptance so far, i would make myself busy in working on my weakness. I wouldn't relay on Waitlist status. It is intangible HOPE and also stressful!
That's just me though!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I am Waitlisted to 3 schools and 0 acceptance to today. I feel like It is because of my low MCAT CARS score. So, I just started studying to retake MCAT in June. If I get A from one of those school, I will be happy and give away my MCAT materials. If not, I don't want waste my time sitting and waiting for decision. If you dont have any acceptance so far, i would make myself busy in working on my weakness. I wouldn't relay on Waitlist status. It is intangible HOPE and also stressful!
That's just me though!!!
I'm in the same boat. Almost thought I wrote this lol

Reactions: 4 users
I'm on the WL too and hold at least one other acceptance to a similar caliber medical school. So, at this point I'm wondering what do y'all think about HUCM v. D.O. v. a "big 4" Caribbean M.D.? I mean the match rates and Step 1 first pass are approx. the same from what I gather. Furthermore, these other schools at least have the pride/decency to publish these metrics and not breadcrumb by showcasing specific students. That is the primary evaluative metric we should be looking at right?

I mean I'm sure there's some stigma that exists against non-U.S. schools, but I'm beginning to wonder if that bias may be more concerned with universal criteria like mean GPA/MCAT/Step1 Pass/Match than geography or letters printed on your diploma. Also, for those of us blessed with sloppy seconds admittance, we're looking at full federal loans on COA right? Many of what I'd consider HUCM's peer institutions in this regard have lower COA. It's also noteworthy that many Caribbean grads match at HUH. Any thoughts?

Welp somebody needed to say it. If that’s how you really feel and your credit score is strong peel off then sis! Y’all can cash me at crop over bussing a dutty wine

I'm on the WL too and hold at least one other acceptance to a similar caliber medical school. So, at this point I'm wondering what do y'all think about HUCM v. D.O. v. a "big 4" Caribbean M.D.? I mean the match rates and Step 1 first pass are approx. the same from what I gather. Furthermore, these other schools at least have the pride/decency to publish these metrics and not breadcrumb by showcasing specific students. That is the primary evaluative metric we should be looking at right?

I mean I'm sure there's some stigma that exists against non-U.S. schools, but I'm beginning to wonder if that bias may be more concerned with universal criteria like mean GPA/MCAT/Step1 Pass/Match than geography or letters printed on your diploma. Also, for those of us blessed with sloppy seconds admittance, we're looking at full federal loans on COA right? Many of what I'd consider HUCM's peer institutions in this regard have lower COA. It's also noteworthy that many Caribbean grads match at HUH. Any thoughts?
On SDN, the general consensus is that you should go to ANY US School before deciding to go abroad. The problem with Caribbean schools is that there's a high attrition rate and they play with the match statistics to make them seem better than they are. Kevin Jubbal on youtube did a couple of videos about Caribbean schools after visiting SGU. Do your research before making the jump.

Reactions: 8 users
On SDN, the general consensus is that you should go to ANY US School before deciding to go abroad. The problem with Caribbean schools is that there's a high attrition rate and they play with the match statistics to make them seem better than they are. Kevin Jubbal on youtube did a couple of videos about Caribbean schools after visiting SGU. Do your research before making the jump.
Hmm, that's trill. Thanks for the link! Just watched and definitely made me reconsider, but it still doesn't exactly make me feel good about how HUCM stacks up against international schools. I mean any information about their program is pure conjecture even if Caribbean schools are fudging their stats. I guess I'm asking: Is it even worth it if I'm a candidate for this caliber of school? What's the "cutoff" for a U.S. MD where I won't have to worry so much about these intangibles?

I don't want to hijack this thread by talking about other schools, but thanks a bunch for responding to my question! My stats are what they are and applying again with minimal change in my application would be unlikely to yield different results. So, I'm also trying to quantify opportunity cost of getting started elsewhere you know? It's not a realistic option for me to sink deeper into debt doing an SMP or take 2-3 years off to make significant application improvements hoping for a miraculous cycle next time for me at least.

So I just looked at last years thread and it seemed most movement off the WL was during the first two weeks of May

I was reading last year’s thread and saw that there was some debate about the language of the waitlist letters. Has everyone been getting the same template for their waitlist saying they’re alternate waitlisted and that it’s ranked?

I was reading last year’s thread and saw that there was some debate about the language of the waitlist letters. Has everyone been getting the same template for their waitlist saying they’re alternate waitlisted and that it’s ranked?

I was wondering the same thing! And yes my letter template was as you described.

yeah, I saw they said some ppl last year got WL letters from Celia and some from Sharmon, and that the wording was different. The Celia letters seemed to be more like "accepted pending seat" type, and Sharmon was more like a standard WL or something? I got from Sharmon. What about you guys?